MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

I think about this case often. Sadly, I read that a 14-yr old drowned in RI this week when he slipped off some rocks into the water. It happens.
GoLocalProv | News | 14-Year-Old Boy Drowns at Beavertail State Park, Confirms RI DEM

I could definitely imagine something like this being the answer to her disappearance. She seems to have been such a conscientious person. I could see her bending down at the water's edge to pick up trash or something and falling in. Just one of those freak accidents.

On the other hand I keep going back to what I consider to be a pretty heavy immediate rescue response that occurred the day she went missing. I know all about the LE training that was taking place that week and I still think it was an outsize response considering that she was an adult and had not been gone that long. People do get upset about stuff and take off to cool down. The fact that they were so sure something really bad had happened to her really sticks in my mind and makes me think of a suspected self-harm situation. MOO

I could definitely imagine something like this being the answer to her disappearance. She seems to have been such a conscientious person. I could see her bending down at the water's edge to pick up trash or something and falling in. Just one of those freak accidents.

On the other hand I keep going back to what I consider to be a pretty heavy immediate rescue response that occurred the day she went missing. I know all about the LE training that was taking place that week and I still think it was an outsize response considering that she was an adult and had not been gone that long. People do get upset about stuff and take off to cool down. The fact that they were so sure something really bad had happened to her really sticks in my mind and makes me think of a suspected self-harm situation. MOO
I'm right with you - torn between those two possibilities.

I just have never thought suicide. Right after baking cookies, making pizza, cooking all day for a party? I think accident or foul play. Jmo.

I don't pretend to be an expert on mental health and suicide, but IMO as contrary as it seems, you can't look at anyone's activities or future plans on the day they committed suicide and always see a clear pattern that shows they had a possibility of doing so.

This article talks about the role of impulsivity in suicide and explains very well how a person who had planned for a party in the evening might instead take their life in the afternoon:

Myths of suicide

According to this article, a person can be privately struggling along for months or years with suicidal thoughts and depression but once they experience some sort of trigger they usually go from suicidal ideation to suicide attempt within ten minutes.

So that's why I think self harm is a possible explanation for Abbie's disappearance.

I can get the citation if anyone is interested, but I also read in another article that suicide is twice as common as homicide. So you are much more likely to die by your own hand than through foul play.

I can't rule out foul play completely either, but I think suicide has to be way up there in terms of possibilities. JMO

I don't pretend to be an expert on mental health and suicide, but IMO as contrary as it seems, you can't look at anyone's activities or future plans on the day they committed suicide and always see a clear pattern that shows they had a possibility of doing so.

This article talks about the role of impulsivity in suicide and explains very well how a person who had planned for a party in the evening might instead take their life in the afternoon:

Myths of suicide

According to this article, a person can be privately struggling along for months or years with suicidal thoughts and depression but once they experience some sort of trigger they usually go from suicidal ideation to suicide attempt within ten minutes.

So that's why I think self harm is a possible explanation for Abbie's disappearance.

I can get the citation if anyone is interested, but I also read in another article that suicide is twice as common as homicide. So you are much more likely to die by your own hand than through foul play.

I can't rule out foul play completely either, but I think suicide has to be way up there in terms of possibilities. JMO
What you're reporting here is very scary. But, sadly, I think it's 100% true.

What you're reporting here is very scary. But, sadly, I think it's 100% true.

I absolutely agree with this. And, I think it is a distinct possibility that this is what happened to Abby. But where is she? It isn’t easy to hide yourself, and if she went into the water, I would think she would have turned up by now. If there was a vast woods near her home, maybe, but aside from that, I think we would know by now what happened-where could she have hidden herself-I don’t know Gloucester at all.

I absolutely agree with this. And, I think it is a distinct possibility that this is what happened to Abby. But where is she? It isn’t easy to hide yourself, and if she went into the water, I would think she would have turned up by now. If there was a vast woods near her home, maybe, but aside from that, I think we would know by now what happened-where could she have hidden herself-I don’t know Gloucester at all.

If she went into the ocean there, the currents are really strange in that particular area. Remains might not re-emerge in a predictable way. I am semi-local and I can think of three cases just off the top of my head where people either went into the water or were swept away by waves near where Abbie disappeared. One has never been found (but was a child, so the very small size might explain it), the other two washed up as single bones a very long time later, one on Revere Beach in Boston to the south, one all the way in Cape Cod waaay to the south. Both had to be identified through DNA.

If she went into the ocean there, the currents are really strange in that particular area. Remains might not re-emerge in a predictable way. I am semi-local and I can think of three cases just off the top of my head where people either went into the water or were swept away by waves near where Abbie disappeared. One has never been found (but was a child, so the very small size might explain it), the other two washed up as single bones a very long time later, one on Revere Beach in Boston to the south, one all the way in Cape Cod waaay to the south. Both had to be identified through DNA.
Yes, the ocean can be unforgiving. I follow the case of Anneliese Heinig from Maine - many believe she went in the water November 2019 but she has not been found. I walked Abbie's neighborhood several months ago and came away feeling like she was in the water. It's got to be so frustrating for the family not to have closure.

I see some posts saying the family may know what happened? If so what do you think? Suicide? She was about to host a superbowl party with food prepared?
I am not thinking suicide. I am leaning towards her walking away from her life possibly to be with someone else. It is possible someone close has an idea where she is or has received some type of communication. Otherwise I would expect family and friends to be more vocal.

I am not thinking suicide. I am leaning towards her walking away from her life possibly to be with someone else. It is possible someone close has an idea where she is or has received some type of communication. Otherwise I would expect family and friends to be more vocal.
Anything is possible but I'm not sure that option explains the immediate and significant LE response to search nearby land and ocean.

I believe that Abbie had a tragic accidental fall. Likely she slipped and fell into the ocean or possibly elsewhere in the area (maybe in thick underbrush due to a sudden heart attack or similar.) I don’t think there is any other explanation other than a very, very minuscule chance that she was abducted by a predator.
I really don’t think that abduction is possible as Abbie would have fought and never gone willingly with an abductor. There is zero evidence of a struggle.
I am very, very certain that Abbie did not leave on her own accord and thoroughly convinced this was not a suicide.
I am also very,very certain that Abbie’s disappearance was not contracted/planned.
I personally met and spoke with Abbie several years ago as our daughters attended the same university and were part of the same friend group.
Abbie made a strong impression on me. She is a warm, upbeat, kind, eloquent, highly intelligent, gracious lady. Her daughter is considered the sweetest girl- level headed, responsible, as kind as can be. Very special. She is extremely well-respected and dearly loved as her mother is.
This case is so tragic and heartbreaking.
Abbie’s family is extremely close-knit and dignified and they have had no reason whatsoever to speak publicly on this case. I believe that Abbie’s family members feel in their hearts and minds that a tragic, unexpected accident occurred- not an abduction. Abbie had a very happy marriage and a very happy family life. Her being missing has left a huge void and my heart goes out to her loved ones. I’m truly heartbroken about this.
The extensive early search was enacted due to the clout / vigilance of her close friends who showed up for Super Bowl evening to find Abbie missing. I don’t find anything at all unusual about the extent/ timeliness of the search or about Abbie’s lovely family choosing to remain completely silent about this tragedy. Abbie’s brother spoke for her family early on and said everything that needed to be said. I’m praying that Abbie is found soon and this mystery is solved.

“The search covered many paths and wooded areas where Abbie might have walked, along with a search of the coastline. Gloucester Police Chief Edward Conley said her case is still open. Abbie is described as being 5’5” tall, approximately 200 pounds and has brown hair. She was possibly wearing a navy blue L.L. Bean puffer jacket, L.L. Bean boots, blue jeans and a flannel shirt. If anyone has any information on Abbie’s whereabouts, please call the Gloucester Police Department at 978-283-1212.”
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing
Finally a mention of Abbie and acknowledgement it is still an open case !

Is it possible that she could have been looking for something for the party and either got injured or locked in while doing so? For example if she were to have gone out to a storage shed or into the attic to get extra chairs or a certain dish or something? I realize that she likely would have been found by now if that were the case, but just something that crossed my mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back