Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you wearing a mask in the house? You really should. He should be too.

Keep a window open in the room where you spend most of your time, try not to be in a room with him. I know it's hard to leave and go to a hotel when he's sick. Go for lots of walks. Keep the house as ventilated as possible.

It's hard for him to care about anything right now, because he's sick and his mind is dialed down to near zero. From personal experience, I can tell you that an 0xygen level of 93 makes a person loopy and they do not even know it.

So you must get a few minutes of calm and think through how to handle the next 24 hours. You can do this. If his room is near the bathroom, and you have a shower, run some hot water to humidify the area a little.

I hope you have a large enough space that you can sleep elsewhere.

In all ways, treat him as if he has CoVid, just for the next 3 days. Do all the things you might do to avoid getting cold/flu from him (we gargle with salt water with a drop of iodine when either of us gets something).

Hotel rooms are safe in most places, so that's still an option for you - but I think you'd worry about him too much.

i really appreciate your helpful advice and caring thoughts

That's a really good look inside the mind of someone who won't wear a mask. It may be impossible to compel this person to wear a mask, although surely states can and do impose sanctions/fines. Legally, we can be and are compelled to "take care of each other" (by funding public education, for example). He's probably against that too.

I too am a free American, very individualistic and some would say, eccentric. However, I am a compassionate person who strongly desires for others around me to be well and enjoy their life. I don't consider myself part of a collective, either. But personal choice on every single thing we may do is stupid and wrong (I really like facts and reason). I do not think people should escape the consequences of drunk driving, for example, because we have a responsibility not to endanger others. It's not okay for me to set off fireworks in fire season. Etc.

I'm so glad that many workplaces are banning people like this from working for them. He will find paths closed to him - and that's a good thing. He can be "free" in whatever way he can but he won't be able to be a healthcare worker or a teacher most places, as well as many other occupations. I am so glad that people like @HongKongPhooey have proactively fired employees that won't obey safety procedures. Can you imagine if a teacher decided it was okay to come to school maskless and cough all over people?

I hope this man finds himself barred from indoor restaurants, libraries, sporting events and much else until CoVid risk is gone.
Obviously, he has no comprehension of the implications of COVID-19. Obviously, he also has no understanding of government, i.e. public schools, Medicare, Medicade, taxes and government social programs, social security, national parks, interstate highways, interstate commerce laws, federal laws - many, many more that encompass all Americans. Shall we just say selfish?

Are you wearing a mask in the house? You really should. He should be too.

Keep a window open in the room where you spend most of your time, try not to be in a room with him. I know it's hard to leave and go to a hotel when he's sick. Go for lots of walks. Keep the house as ventilated as possible.

It's hard for him to care about anything right now, because he's sick and his mind is dialed down to near zero. From personal experience, I can tell you that an 0xygen level of 93 makes a person loopy and they do not even know it.

So you must get a few minutes of calm and think through how to handle the next 24 hours. You can do this. If his room is near the bathroom, and you have a shower, run some hot water to humidify the area a little.

I hope you have a large enough space that you can sleep elsewhere.

In all ways, treat him as if he has CoVid, just for the next 3 days. Do all the things you might do to avoid getting cold/flu from him (we gargle with salt water with a drop of iodine when either of us gets something).

Hotel rooms are safe in most places, so that's still an option for you - but I think you'd worry about him too much.

Really good advice!

At least 28 coronavirus cases linked to Fitchburg church

FITCHBURG, Mass. —

More than two dozen confirmed COVID-19 cases have been connected to a church in Massachusetts, according to health officials.

Fitchburg Health Director Stephen D. Curry told NewsCenter 5 that 28 coronavirus cases have been linked to Crossroads Community Church as of Sunday morning.

At least 28 coronavirus cases linked to Fitchburg church

FITCHBURG, Mass. —

More than two dozen confirmed COVID-19 cases have been connected to a church in Massachusetts, according to health officials.

Fitchburg Health Director Stephen D. Curry told NewsCenter 5 that 28 coronavirus cases have been linked to Crossroads Community Church as of Sunday morning.

There are so many outbreaks and clusters, I just gave up on posting them anymore. I just saw there is one in CO at a dialysis center where both staff and patients have tested positive. This is heartbreaking. As one who has an immediate family member currently in the hospital due to cancer issues, this is terrifying, but I know they’re taking precautions.

Last edited:
That's the one. EVERYBODY had it. I'm going to try to look up that year. It ruined Christmas where we are. Pharmacies were overrun trying to fill scrips and we had to drop them off and come back hours later. We also have never missed a flu shot since. And this year, my pharmacist offered to check my vaccine status and recommended boosters for several. I'm terrified of COVID. I've never forgotten how incredibly bad it was for us, nor how long it took to get over it.

geezzz... I don't even remember any bad flu year. I only had a flu once... had to have been 1986--husband and one child got it, but that is a lot earlier than 25 years ago....

REMOTE, (Oct. 22, 2020): The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) today updated its COVID-19 guidance for indoor visits in residential care facilities to include guidelines related to voting.

The updated guidance clarifies that family members, friends, and certain other people may visit facility residents in order to help them vote from now until polls close on Nov. 3. The guidance also permits visits to help a resident “cure” a ballot when needed, through Nov. 12.

Visitors must take precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including screening for symptoms before visiting, wearing a mask, and limiting visits to outdoor areas, if possible. COVID-19 testing prior to visits for voting purposes is not required.

The update to this guidance is part of the state’s ongoing efforts to ensure that Coloradans are able to cast their ballots safely from now until the general election on Nov. 3. For more information on voting and the election, visit govotecolorado.gov.

State updates guidance for residential care visits to ensure voting is accessible | Colorado COVID-19 Updates

Horrors! What could possibly go wrong?

Sweet Jesus...so active encouragement to visit the elderly, at risk, vulnerable citizens...so they can be helped to vote...I’d like to say I’ve seen/heard it all now...but somehow, sadly, I doubt it...

Sweet Jesus...so active encouragement to visit the elderly, at risk, vulnerable citizens...so they can be helped to vote...I’d like to say I’ve seen/heard it all now...but somehow, sadly, I doubt it...

Gosh, Governor Polis has done SUCH a good job so far Imo and has been very, very proactive with this virus. I give him an A plus in knowledge, commitment, efforts and communication. I’m surprised by all this. Making a note to look into this more.

SMDH From link

"
After doing his own research, Poole said there is “at the very least a huge question as to is this as bad as they really say it is…I admit that 200,000 or however more that it’s been in this country at this point is a lot of deaths, but statistically speaking, a lot of those deaths…were people with morbidities who were already going to die by the end of the year anyway. That sounds crass and hard, but it’s life.”

Poole said he doesn’t resent others who wear masks but believes that everyone, including himself, should be able to make that choice.

“I’m not part of a collective,” he said. “I’m not and I never will be. So when you think it’s my responsibility to take care of you, then I’m just not going to do it. I wish you well in your own endeavor, but I’m not going to do it because I’m a free American and I believe in the principles the United States was founded upon.”

Grrr...that’s all...GRRR IMO MOO

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 1,312 new confirmed cases for a total of 115,775 confirmed cases of which 87,709 had recovered (+260). 5 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,634. Here is a breakdown of the age groups from IDPH: Children (0-17)-10,166 (IMO +125); Adults (18-40)-52,406 (IMO +462); Middle (41-60)-31,909 (IMO +406); Older (61-80)-16,544 (IMO +269); and Elderly (81+)-4,722 (IMO +50). There were 85 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 541 (-4). There are 28,066 active postive cases. Oct. 25: 1,312 new cases, 260 recoveries, 5 more deaths
Iowa COVID-19 Information

Obviously, he has no comprehension of the implications of COVID-19. Obviously, he also has no understanding of government, i.e. public schools, Medicare, Medicade, taxes and government social programs, social security, national parks, interstate highways, interstate commerce laws, federal laws - many, many more that encompass all Americans. Shall we just say selfish?

I hope no one reproduces with that man, as I believe there's good evidence that someone this selfish has a different sort of brain than the rest of us.

Unfortunately, so many of these people have a higher-than-average number of kids, because they have no problem not using birth control (and then disappearing).

'We’re not going to control the pandemic,' Trump aide says

The administration has come out and said they are not going to try and control the pandemic: campaign rallies? no problem. This from the president and his administration. You could not make this up-- in your wildest dreams or nightmares you could not imagine a president who has no plan to control a pandemic killing hundreds of thousands and making millions sick.

US opioid deaths rising amid coronavirus lockdowns, state health officials say

Opioid deaths are spiking in places across the U.S. as states remain locked down during the ongoing battle against the coronavirus, state and county health officials reported this month.

Health officials and experts have cited increased isolation and job loss due to statewide shutdowns as possible factors for the surge in drug-related deaths.

US opioid deaths rising amid coronavirus lockdowns, state health officials say

Attorney General Xavier Becerra, law enforcement: 25% spike in opioid overdose deaths amid COVID-19

“In some of our counties, there are more deaths from overdoses than there are from COVID-19,” he said. “For law enforcement, for healthcare providers, for all of us who care about our communities, this is a major challenge.”

Nationally, suspected overdose deaths continue to spike since the pandemic started, with an 18% increase in March, 29% in April and 42% in May, compared to 2019.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra, law enforcement address 25% spike in opioid overdose death amid COVID-19

Grocery stores are preparing for a second wave of panic buying — you should, too

Sun, October 25, 2020, 12:00 PM EDT

a7b91ec03a9236be55809fd6a92e8e81

c1708704056d1e9e69a3ce17534b6248

If it felt like you could never find paper products, the data backs that up. Nearly half of survey respondents said they spend more on items like toilet paper and paper towels compared to last year.

Other big spending increases could provide clues to some of the shortages we can expect to see this winter. Following paper products, the LendingTree survey found that fresh produce, frozen food and canned goods saw the biggest jump in demand when the pandemic hit.

Beyond grocery goods, you can expect to see shortages of:

• Exercise equipment: When gyms closed, it wasn’t easy to pick up items like free weights — and that was when pleasant temperatures allowed people to get outside.

• Outdoor gear: Speaking of getting outside, expect a run on gloves, hats and any items that allow people to exercise outdoors.

• Home appliances: It’s a perfect storm: an increase in home reno projects, lack of supply from store closures, COVID-19 protocols at manufacturing facilities and the usual holiday shopping could combine to create shortages on appliances big and small.

COVID cases in Massachusetts top 1,000 for second day in a row as cases spike across country

Massachusetts public health officials on Sunday reported another 1,097 new cases of COVID-19, the second day in a row with more than 1,000 cases as the pandemic continues to see spikes across the nation and overseas.

Until Saturday and Sunday, the state had not reported 1,000 new cases in a single day since May. New COVID-19 case counts in Massachusetts on both Thursday and Friday were in the 900s.

At least 147,120 have been infected in Massachusetts since the pandemic began, according to the state Department of Public Health. Officials also reported 24 new COVID-related deaths on Sunday, bringing the statewide death toll to 9,640. When including probable cases, that figure rises to 9,864.

There are 538 people in treatment for COVID-19 in the hospital as of Sunday, including 109 in intensive care.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-october-25-2020/download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members