Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooooo disappointing.
people NEED to see it’s not all about YOU and what you want.
I had a difficult time watching baseball. Little to no masking close contacts. Nope. It gave me chills.

It was a horrifying scene and Turner made it more horrifying by pulling off his mask.
There are lots of words to describe him- which can't be posted here

Just came back from visiting hubby who has been waiting two days to have an echocardiogram performed. I learned today that Covid patients are mixed in with regular patient rooms and I was shocked. i walked out into the hall for a moment, forgot my mask and a nurse told me i needed a mask and this was a "Covid Floor"- I said "you're joking?"-- later i was told it was not a Covid floor but that Covid patient rooms are mixed in with regular patient rooms. I told her i thought that was not a great idea. She told me that up until three weeks ago all Covid patient rooms were together but that changed recently. I just don' think that is a good idea- am I wrong?

Coronavirus: France and Germany have announced second national lockdowns

President Emmanuel Macron confirmed his country's widely-expected measures, which will begin on Friday and remain in place until 1 December. They will not include closing schools.

Measures will include:

• Shutting restaurants and bars
  • A travel ban between regions
  • An emphasis on people staying at home
  • A focus on working from home
  • Closing external borders outside the Schengen Area
  • Universities moving to online teaching
The only reasons people should leave their homes, Mr Macron said, will be to buy essential goods, seek medical attention, or exercise for an hour a day.

It comes hours after similar plans laid out by German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who said her nation will enter a four-week lockdown from 2 November.
Interesting that schools won't close or go online. I suppose this is a way to continue to provide an essential service while trying to keep the virus at bay on other fronts. Hopefully this works!

I think some state have rent assistance, but it's the renters who must apply for it -- and if they make too much money -- they're disqualified.

I agree that if the virus stops someone from working, they're not going to be able to pay their rent, but the landlords are not bottomless pits of money -- if the CDC is going to force the landlords not to evict -- the CDC should be making rent payments to them.

But, they're not doing that. Landlords have said they have other potential renters who would move in and pay but they can't evict the ones who aren't paying.

Situations like this would be better served by communities opening up larger shelters where those who truly couldn't pay the rent could go. The responsibility really should not fall on the landlords.

I'm interested in this lawsuit because from everything I've heard, the CDC's rule is unconstitutional.

I heard something about this on NPR. For the "no rent mandate" to work long term, landlords need utility/tax/creditor abatement. from a public health standpoint, if you have a lot of evictions during a pandemic, you will probably have more sick people.

Just came back from visiting hubby who has been waiting two days to have an echocardiogram performed. I learned today that Covid patients are mixed in with regular patient rooms and I was shocked. i walked out into the hall for a moment, forgot my mask and a nurse told me i needed a mask and this was a "Covid Floor"- I said "you're joking?"-- later i was told it was not a Covid floor but that Covid patient rooms are mixed in with regular patient rooms. I told her i thought that was not a great idea. She told me that up until three weeks ago all Covid patient rooms were together but that changed recently. I just don' think that is a good idea- am I wrong?

These appear the same, but are 3 different landing pages... brb to change/update titles as cut/paste doesn't show.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Infection Control Guidance Updated July 15, 2020

"
As a measure to limit HCP exposure and conserve PPE, facilities could consider designating entire units within the facility, with dedicated HCP, to care for patients with suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection. Dedicated means that HCP are assigned to care only for these patients during their shift.
  • Determine how staffing needs will be met as the number of patients with suspected or confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection increases and if HCP become ill and are excluded from work.
  • It might not be possible to distinguish patients who have COVID-19 from patients with other respiratory viruses. As such, patients with different respiratory pathogens might be cohorted on the same unit. However, only patients with the same respiratory pathogen may be housed in the same room. For example, a patient with COVID-19 should ideally not be housed in the same room as a patient with an undiagnosed respiratory infection or a respiratory infection caused by a different pathogen."

Healthcare Facility Guidance Updated June 28, 2020

Healthcare WorkersFAQs Updated Oct. 5, 2020

Last edited:
Interesting that schools won't close or go online. I suppose this is a way to continue to provide an essential service while trying to keep the virus at bay on other fronts. Hopefully this works!

they keep saying in our state that schools and responsible businesses are not the sources of outbreaks- that outbreaks are coming from private parties and gatherings which they cannot control....

These appear the same, but are 3 different landing pages... brb to change/update titles as cut/paste doesn't show.

Infection Control Guidance Updated July 15, 2020

Healthcare Facility Guidance Updated June 28, 2020

Healthcare WorkersFAQs Updated Oct. 5, 2020

Hospitals, Nursing Homes Fail to Separate COVID Patients, Putting Others at Risk

Sounds to me like dedicated Covid floor or floors is a much better idea than mixing regular patient room with Covid patient rooms. I am shocked that a hospital with the reputation of Henry Ford Health System in my area of Michigan would do this. My presumption is that there are not a lot of Covid patients at this time, so those rooms were not being filled and were empty, so they lost money---and so they decided to mix patients Covid and non Covid-- i think it is irresponsible.

I just sent the administration at the Henry Ford Health System a message letting them know that I believe failure to have a dedicated Covid unit is irresponsible and let them know I am appalled that a health system with their reputation would act in this manner.
I mean, how do i know my husband's room was no inhabilited by a Covid patient before my husband went into that room?

Yah just wait until all the folks who aren’t really paying attention to the sciencey parts :rolleyes: realize they’ll need a covid shot every year. Or six months or whatever.

I am seriously ready to hibernate for the next six months. Wake me up when it’s (almost hopefully) over.

supposed to be a two shot sequence in all probability with the shots 21 or 28 days apart AND the vaccines require lot of refrigeration....

I just sent the administration at the Henry Ford Health System a message letting them know that I believe failure to have a dedicated Covid unit is irresponsible and let them know I am appalled that a health system with their reputation would act in this manner.
I mean, how do i know my husband's room was no inhabilited by a Covid patient before my husband went into that room?

at this stage in the pandemic, I hope that whatever information you got was incomplete and that it is more segregated and protected (eyes rolling). if the hospitals have not learned anything, we are in deep doodoo.

Kroger to offer 15-minute COVID-19 antibody tests at pharmacies | 11alive.com

The Ohio-based supermarket chain said the FDA-authorized tests will be available at all Kroger pharmacies and clinics by the end of November.

The antibody tests, supplied by Whitmire Medical, involve a finger-prick blood sample to detect antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19. The tests cost $25 and typically provide results within 15 minutes that let a person know if they've previously been infected, the company said.

I would love that.

at this stage in the pandemic, I hope that whatever information you got was incomplete and that it is more segregated and protected (eyes rolling). if the hospitals have not learned anything, we are in deep doodoo.

The information that I obtained about not having a dedicated Covid Unit is present time. Up until 3 weeks ago they had a dedicated Covid Unit. I am appalled. I was so shocked i said to the nurse " you have got to be joking"- she wasn't joking

I'm not sure what the set up is like at your hospital but I can tell you that on my unit we have two isolation rooms. I work in obstetrics so we don't need lot's of isolation rooms. The rooms are on the same unit as our normal rooms however the isolation rooms use negative air pressure. This helps prevent airborne disease from escaping the room and infecting other people. A machine pulls air into the room. Then it filters the air before moving it outside. There is also an additional room that staff go into to remove their contaminated PPE prior to returning to the unit.

I'm not sure what the set up is like at your hospital but I can tell you that on my unit we have two isolation rooms. I work in obstetrics so we don't need lot's of isolation rooms. The rooms are on the same unit as our normal rooms however the isolation rooms use negative air pressure. This helps prevent airborne disease from escaping the room and infecting other people. A machine pulls air into the room. Then it filters the air before moving it outside. There is also an additional room that staff go into to remove their contaminated PPE prior to returning to the unit.

Should the Covid patient rooms have negative pressure?

Just sounds so painful.... hockey is just such a "love affair" in the whole North of this country and Canada!!!!!!
I just know kids and parents alike just live for hockey.

So even though the coaches and parents are probably breaking with the truth all over the place.... I can feel how they are coniving for the play of the game.

Will our good friends from Canada chime in here???????? Your love of Hockey is probably even higher than ours!!!! Well, I don't know that one for sure. But are your teams playing? How are your parents and kids doing??

Yeah, Canadian kids get hockey sticks before they are old enough to walk. The NHL has a successful season. Their dedication to the "bubble" life was exemplary. The plan was carefully thought out, with no hold back protocol to keep everyone safe. And it worked.

NHL postseason bubbles successful because 'everybody bought into this'

I haven't heard of minor hockey cases of covid, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened somewhere in Canada. Minor hockey has a protocol in place to keep the program running safely. If anyone is interested, their covid "Return to Hockey COVID -19 Response" is linked below.

I do want to add a comment about the hockey team managers in the article quoted by the OP. It's beyond comprehension why team managers would refuse to hand over their rosters when a covid connection was made by public health authorities. Do they not have to keep contact tracing records? What about the parents and any other hangers on?

Hockey coaches and team managers are generally respected members of the community, not the dim witted types who have no concern about anyone other than themselves. They have to know that if covid is not cleaned up asap in their hockey leagues, then it will be back. Guaranteed.

Do you think that the near criminal behaviour of the hockey coaches mentioned by the OP is because of a fear of lawsuits? That would be short sighted.

Return to Hockey | COVID-19 Response

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

I am sorry to hear this: how old is your child and do you have any idea how your child contracted the virus?

Haven't read this, they just linked it in the chat room.

October 26, 2020
Preventing the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 With Masks and Other “Low-tech” Interventions
Andrea M. Lerner, MD, MS1; Gregory K. Folkers, MS, MPH1; Anthony S. Fauci, MD1

ETA: Ooops, here is link

Preventing the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 With Masks and Other “Low-tech” Interventions

I was hoping to see some other low-tech options in that article (unless I missed them?) We all *should* know the regime of handwashing, social distancing, etc, by now.

It is so evident that mask-wearing is just not working among too many people in the US - masks are politicised to such an extent that some people are even wearing masks with their political affiliation stamped broadly across their mask!

So I was hoping that other low-tech options were being sought. The rapid 'spit' test indicators used prior to admission at venues, for example. The covid sniffer dogs at airports, as another example.

Seems it is going to be a long wait for a vaccine. Why is no-one going into lateral thinking mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member