Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you judge how often everyone wears masks by the small percentage you see at rallies? I suspect you're wrong. As a matter of fact I know you're wrong. Why preach unity to us with a divisive negative attitude?

NOT.

Also - hardly divisive and negative. Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
So...of course, I'm concerned for you. Some things to consider:

• adequate ventilation for the patient's room; patient has own bathroom if possible
  • the most ventilation you can stand for the entire house
  • HEPA filters in the patient's room, near her head
  • humidifiers - one in patient's room (so temperate air, humidified - say 65-70°
  • PPE for everyone; sunglasses for you when administering to her
  • lots of rest for the patient, but be very aware of your own energy level (fatigue is often the earliest symptom)
  • to have on hand: Vitamin D (you should all be taking it); Zinc). Some would say that 325 mg of aspirin for the adult-sized members of your family who have been exposed (but check with doctor); NAC; pepcid.
  • everyone quarantines for 14 days starting with day 2 after your daughter was exposed by the therapist
  • remember it's more contagious before a fever - and that mildly symptomatic people may remain contagious for 2 or more weeks
You need not to get it! If you always wear a mask and goggles/sunglasses around her, you are unlikely to (even people in Wuhan, locked up together for 3 weeks, where masks were the main PPE, only transmitted it about 20% of the time (among adult sized people). Goggles/sunglasses/faceshield plus mask...that may have reduced their transmission to near zero.

You have me thinking..... I have a very effective air filter (rabbit air) that I run 24/7 in my family room because of my African Grey. She produces a great deal of dander and I need to keep it under control (I have asthma). I don't have a second one for our bedroom in the event one of us becomes ill. I also don't have a humidifier. I think it's time I remedy that situation. ;)
Thanks for the reminder!

Would be better if they wore them all the time. And not just when they want to advertise/support. Which is what I suspect is happening, judging by all the people who walk into rallies maskless, then mask up once they are in the backdrop pics. And, therein lies my problem with this.

The only way this virus will be overcome is by unity.

IMO
Where I live you can't be in a grocery store without a mask and people are very compliant. In fact, I've not seen on person inside a store without one. I have seen people walk up to the door (my husband) and realize they didn't have one on and have to go back to the care to get it! lol If people want to support one thing or another via their mask I really don't care. I only care that they are wearing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
You weren't wearing your mask inside your husband's room? I'm surprised they allowed that TBH. All our hospitals require masks at all times.

I just spent a night in the hospital. Mask was required until I got my room, then I could take it off but if I stepped outside the room, I had to be wearing it. Naturally I forgot about it as I was leaving.

We need a massive education push on masks. Half of the people I see in masks have their noses hanging out. Or they pull it down to talk. It's maddening. I tell people in the library to pull their mask up, but I can't tell every ignorant person I run into on the street to do this. I feel terrible for store clerks who come into constant contact with these people.

Where I live you can't be in a grocery store without a mask and people are very compliant. If they want to support one thing or another, I really don't care. I only care that they are wearing one.

Yes, I understand that. Where my good friends live they must wear a mask in the grocery store as well. And they do.
Are they wearing masks everywhere else? No. They post pics all the time of being in bars, hugging friends, maskless. Being in each others homes, maskless. Being in many other places, with other people all around, maskless.

I just spent a night in the hospital. Mask was required until I got my room, then I could take it off but if I stepped outside the room, I had to be wearing it. Naturally I forgot about it as I was leaving.
Yeah, they told my step dad he didn't need one on in his room, either. I was wishing he would put his on when doctors or nurses came in, though. This was a few weeks ago. I thought they should have recommended it.

Just got results today that one of my children tested positive. Myself and my other child will be tested Friday.

Blasted virus!

And we have been very cautious with all this. Especially because my youngest is medically fragile.

My daughter also tested positive today. I am in a complex feeling of dread, and partially hopeful, because she is young and healthy. I started crying when she told me, but didn't let her know.

Even more complex, normally, when your child is sick, you immediately want to "be there". Making soup, tucking them in, getting them crackers, whatever. In this case, I know that this disease would be absolutely deadly to my husband. So, I stay home, leaving her alone.

I never thought I would ever do that to my child. Ever. (She is 26, but still...).

Yes, I understand that. Where my good friends live they must wear a mask in the grocery store as well. And they do.
Are they wearing masks everywhere else? No. They post pics all the time of being in bars, hugging friends, maskless. Being in each others homes, maskless. Being in many other places, with other people all around, maskless.
I've stopped looking at my Facebook newsfeed because you are right - people are posting pictures of their reckless behavior constantly and it just leaves me feeling frustrated. So it's not enjoyable to keep up with people right now.

My daughter also tested positive today. I am in a complex feeling of dread, and partially hopeful, because she is young and healthy. I started crying when she told me, but didn't let her know.

Even more complex, normally, when your child is sick, you immediately want to "be there". Making soup, tucking them in, getting them crackers, whatever. In this case, I know that this disease would be absolutely deadly to my husband. So, I stay home, leaving her alone.

I never thought I would ever do that to my child. Ever. (She is 26, but still...).
(((Hugs!)))

Guess if I thought I could save lives by wearing a mask, by staying home (bars, restaurants, events) for a few weeks or even a couple of months, I would do so. Maybe anti-maskers or anti-lockdowners might think more about this rather than it being an inconvenience.

you're doing what you can
sending hugs

Yeah, they told my step dad he didn't need one on in his room, either. I was wishing he would put his on when doctors or nurses came in, though. This was a few weeks ago. I thought they should have recommended it.

When DH spent a night in the hospital a few months ago, he was required to put on his mask whenever a staff member entered his room.

Oh, that's tough on you to be in this position. I'm sorry. I hope she will have only minor symptoms (if any).

I'm so sorry. As parent that's something we would never think we would need to do. But I bet your daughter would agree you are doing the right thing.

She is young and healthy. So, probably no drama. Thanks.

Her "positive" spin was that she could donate convalescent plasma, and possibly help someone else.
Bless her for thinking of others. Is she near you? Maybe you could leave her a care package. Home cooked meals she could microwave, snacks or something to read / do to pass that time. (I bring colored pencils and adult coloring books to my patients who are stuck in the hospital for weeks or months. They seem to enjoy them). If she feels up to it of course.

I had to google what lateral thinking is. MOO It's what they used to call "thinking outside the box" in my days?

Perhaps due to the fact that the simple proven things like social distancing and masks are the best bang/ low $$$$ for the buck and the simplest to do and affordable to all are not being done? Infectious disease 101?

As was said way back in late January/early February, the single most important thing is to have a strong consistent message from leadership on down in an integrated approach for the country, based on social mores of such country.

Or am I not thinking outside the box either for ways to solve that are available and inexpensive to all?

I think you're exactly right. I also think that when new tech like spit tests come out that it takes time to work out where they'd be most effective in impeding spread but also be cost-effective as opposed to social distancing, handwashing, surface disinfection, etc. And it takes time to roll that tech out to the places where it can make a difference and safe money rather than cost more than the simpler measures. It is preferable to not over-complicate measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46