Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lori is trying hard to discredit MG. She's feeding lies to attorney so potential jurors won't believe MG's testimony. At least that is what I'm guessing.

Sorry just my own 2cents but MG has done more than enough on her own to discredit herself. We’ve got the podcast episodes (which we presume has at least two of them possibly more) where you can just hear in her own voice the person she was, totally on-board and head over heels with Lori & Jason [who is hosting the series I’m referring to]. Then her 7 plus page later filled with bizarre talk, her interview with EIN, talks with other media, and her testimony at the preliminary thus far. She’s actually, like others, have said more than one thing that hasn’t jived with previous statements and recollection.

I saw a post that started to compare some statements side by side & I will look to dig it up and post back here, I think it’s interesting at least when you see things side by side like that. I already expected as have many that MG and anyone else will have blame thrown her way by both lawyers but Chad’s lawyer line of questioning at the preliminary made me think this x2. He was seemingly all ready to try and introduce any and all personal mental health issues she might have, and sure he’s doing what a defense attorney does for their client but the way he does it leaves a lot to be desired. Still real curious what a jury will think of him and/or if he will see an almost different persona of him at jury trial.

Sorry just my own 2cents but MG has done more than enough on her own to discredit herself. We’ve got the podcast episodes (which we presume has at least two of them possibly more) where you can just hear in her own voice the person she was, totally on-board and head over heels with Lori & Jason [who is hosting the series I’m referring to]. Then her 7 plus page later filled with bizarre talk, her interview with EIN, talks with other media, and her testimony at the preliminary thus far. She’s actually, like others, have said more than one thing that hasn’t jived with previous statements and recollection.
Since going to police MG has been very consistent, IMO. Her participation in the PAP podcasts and past involvement in Chad's cult has nothing to do with her being truthful on the stand and neither has her post-cult religious talk. She's still a Mormon. At the point when she realized that Chad and Lori were going to throw her under the bus and try to implicate her in their evil deeds she turned her back on them. Almost certainly she was thoroughly debriefed by the FBI well before she gave her first media interview. It appears that she trusts LE and I doubt she could keep secrets from them. I like her reaction to MM's tweets.

I really don't know how one could implicate MG in the murders unless significant pieces of information were missing. And even then, how could you go against the evidence such as the recorded call in which Lori and Chad were clearly trying to pull wool over MG's eyes when it came to JJ and even Tammy.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand this whole thing with MG, what do we want her to do? To not talk? She talked and people get mad, and I'm 100% sure that people would still be mad if she didn't. I haven't been following this thread as much, so it might be because people know stuff that I don't, but I honestly don't understand this attitude torwards her. She didn't kill those kids, and she's cooperating, who cares if she's only doing it because she doesn't want to get into trouble, she's still doing the right thing. I'm sure other people close to Chad and Lori know a lot and are still quiet, and are still believing their word.

It's been a while so I apologize if this was discussed. Someone I know just served as a juror on a joined trial. They told me in the case, the defendants had to have the same verdict. So one could not be innocent and the other guilty. So Chad would not want to be tried with Lori if the case against her was very strong. The juror that told me this was in a different state so maybe the laws are different. Even if he escaped charges for crimes against Tylee and JJ, he still will have to answer for Tammy and possibly Charles. I don't think he will get out of any of it.

The primary rule is that a client is entitled to the attorney of their choosing. A corollary is that people should hire their own attorneys. The Courts often encounter requests, from attorneys, for a substitution of the attorney or for a change in the method of paying. They arise this way: the fee that the client and attorney agreed upon has either been expended before the completion of the case or the client cannot pay anything close to what the client promised. An attorney can request the court to either relieve him or her from further representation or ask that the public fund for indigent representation pay at the statutory indigent plan rate.
If judges, following an inquiry of the attorney and client during which the court cautions both not to reveal any confidence or strategy, determines that the client cannot pay anything more, can force the attorney to represent the client anyway according to their arrangement, relieve the attorney and tell client that, if in fact, no other attorney can be afforded, assign one from the approved indigent panel. Because giving an attorney to a client who did not select him or her can lead to appellate difficulties and purposeful delays by the attorney, the wisest course is to permit the attorney to be paid at the indigent rate and make him or her continue with the case until resolution by trial or plea.
I would just like to thank you kindly for your sage wisdom and to tell you I look forward to your posts in the future. You are able to bring a voice here that we do not usually have. Please stay close to this case and post often as your information is extremely valuable.

I think many of us have been predicting that Chad will attempt to distance himself from Lori. It has been interesting watching these 2 Attorney's and I anticipate future antics from both. Honestly, I think they need to weigh their "ineffective" counsel vs. doing everything in their power to assist their client because in my opinion they are in their attempts to do one negatively effecting the other.

I think many of us have been predicting that Chad will attempt to distance himself from Lori. It has been interesting watching these 2 Attorney's and I anticipate future antics from both. Honestly, I think they need to weigh their "ineffective" counsel vs. doing everything in their power to assist their client because in my opinion they are in their attempts to do one negatively effecting the other.

He certainly does not want to make her mad. jmo

I just thought of the only thing that could make the situation WORSE. (Besides another death, I mean.) Suppose Chud decides to represent himself in court? Ugh. Mr Somewhat-Below-The-Means is a clown already. But what if Chud’s lawyer won’t allow a defense based on Chud’s studly prophetic superpowers? Chud probably dreams of relating his visions on the witness stand, and surely the jurors need to know their light/dark ratings! How else could this be achieved? It’s imperative!

I just thought of the only thing that could make the situation WORSE. (Besides another death, I mean.) Suppose Chud decides to represent himself in court? Ugh. Mr Somewhat-Below-The-Means is a clown already. But what if Chud’s lawyer won’t allow a defense based on Chud’s studly prophetic superpowers? Chud probably dreams of relating his visions on the witness stand, and surely the jurors need to know their light/dark ratings! How else could this be achieved? It’s imperative!
Chud uh? Lol

CD’s narcissistic and manipulative overreach was fully functional during his teenage years, as we’ve learned from at least one former friend of his who is now a fellow Websleuth. I can totally see him thinking this could work.

While just trying to "find the page" again, I re-read some previous posts. Particularly about the kids' deaths and burials. While I certainly hadn't forgotten, I was shocked all over again by what was done to them. Maybe we've all become a bit dulled to it now, but a trial would/will bring it back to the whole world in all its horror.

I agree... its as if the primary focus is whether they will be tried together, and the fate of those children is out of the limelight.
This case is the first time I have been on Websleuths, so I would like to hear opinions of old timers.....

Do you get frustrated in this "waiting period" before a trial.
Do you still try to stay engaged.
Does new and startling evidence ever come up during this "waiting period".

I also just love to hear from Rexburg insiders who still have the pulse on the community. I hope if you guys pop in, you can give us some insight into how the people are feeling. Given that Covid and elections is so in the air, our case is probably not so.

The primary rule is that a client is entitled to the attorney of their choosing. A corollary is that people should hire their own attorneys. The Courts often encounter requests, from attorneys, for a substitution of the attorney or for a change in the method of paying. They arise this way: the fee that the client and attorney agreed upon has either been expended before the completion of the case or the client cannot pay anything close to what the client promised. An attorney can request the court to either relieve him or her from further representation or ask that the public fund for indigent representation pay at the statutory indigent plan rate.
If judges, following an inquiry of the attorney and client during which the court cautions both not to reveal any confidence or strategy, determines that the client cannot pay anything more, can force the attorney to represent the client anyway according to their arrangement, relieve the attorney and tell client that, if in fact, no other attorney can be afforded, assign one from the approved indigent panel. Because giving an attorney to a client who did not select him or her can lead to appellate difficulties and purposeful delays by the attorney, the wisest course is to permit the attorney to be paid at the indigent rate and make him or her continue with the case until resolution by trial or plea.

Your voice is so beneficial for us, that is for sure. I, for one, sure need your factual interpretations.

Can I ask you to be a "bit emotional" here.... I feel that these two will stick with each other no matter what... all they have left is each other. However, there is plenty of discussion here about the distancing of each others cases.

Do you think that they could be convinced to be more distanced, even if they don't really want to. Do you think that would benefit them in the courtroom, to appear as separate cases???

Finally can shorten this up a bit. Aren't they BOTH having hearings today? Thought I read that up the thread.... ??

Thursday, October 29th:

*Motions Hearing (to sever cases/re all charges) @ 10am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen 9/23/19 & Tylee on 9/9/19, Rexburg; found 6/9/20 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) – for *Chad Guy Daybell (51/now 52) arrested & charged (6/9/20) & arraigned (8/21/20) with 2 felony counts of destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence & concealing remains. Plead not guilty. $1M bond.
*Charged (7/1/20) & arraigned (8/21/20) with 2 felony counts of conspiracy to commit concealment, destruction or alteration of evidence. Plead not guilty. Bond stays at $1M.
Trial set to begin 1/11/21 thru 1/29/21 (9am to 5pm)
Court info from 6/10/20 thru 8/4/20 reference post #911 here:
Found Deceased - ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #52

8/17/20 Update: Case #CR22-20-0838-Daybell: Request for discovery. Motion for extension of time to file motion for transfer to trial pursuant to I.C.R. 21. Case #CR22-20-0755 (Conspiracy)-Daybell: Request for discovery. 8/19/20 Update: Defense files Orders regarding notices of remote hearing & livestreaming. Arraignment hearing on 8/21/20.
8/21/20 Update: Waives reading of charges. Plead not guilty. Next pretrial hearing on 12/10/20 & trial is set to begin on 1/11/21 thru 1/29/21. 8/25/20 Update: Pretrial hearing on 12/10 has been changed to 12/8/20 at 10am before Judge Steven W. Boyce. 8/24/20: Rob Wood, who will be the prosecuting attorney in both the Vallow & Daybell cases, filed his own requests this week. Wood has asked that the defense in both cases to notify him within 14 days if either defendant “intends to raise any issue of mental condition.” The document was filed Monday, meaning defense attorneys have until August 31 to notify Wood if their client plans to use their mental condition as a defense.
8/28/20 Update: Judge Order: "All plea offers shall be placed on the record. All plea agreements shall be reduced to writing or stated in the record. Written plea agreements shall be signed by the attorneys for both parties & by the defendant."
9/1/20: John Prior filed (8/27/20) the motion to dismiss with District Judge Steven Boyce Thursday (8/27/20) stating there was not sufficient evidence presented at the preliminary hearing on Aug. 3 & 4. Along with the motion, Prior asked that a transcript of the preliminary hearing be produced & that a hearing to dismiss the charges be pushed out long enough for him to review the evidence and the transcript. Prior has until Oct. 20 to file a motion if he wants to move the trial to another venue to avoid potential jury bias. Wood has not responded to Prior’s motion, and as of Tuesday (9/1/20), a hearing had not been set on the motion to dismiss. Order for Preliminary Hearing Transcript-granted by Judge Steven W. Boyce on 8/31/20. Shall be prepared & submitted to Defense counsel no later than 10/1/20. 9/1/20: State: Motion for Joinder filed & Memo in Support of Motion for Joinder.
9/4/20: Defense files motion for change of venue. Defense attorney John Prior is asking that oral arguments be held in regard to changing the venue. Asking the trial to be moved from Fremont County because “a fair and impartial jury” cannot be found. He does not give suggestions as to where he thinks the trial should be moved. Also re Motion: Order granting motion to extend time to hear I.CR. 12(b) Motions. In regards to an order to extend time for a hearing on defendant's Motion to Dismiss.
9/9/20: Defense files Objection to Motion for Joinder. 9/14/20 Update: Notice of hearings: Motion to Dismiss on 10/29/20 @ 9am. Motion hearing re case joinders on 10/29/20 @ 10am & Motion for Change of Venue on 11/24/20 @ 9am.
10/14/20: Stipulation to continue hearing on Motion to dismiss. 10/19/20: Order-granted to continue hearing on motion to dismiss. The hearing on the Motion to dismiss has been moved from October 29 to November 24. Defense attorney John Prior stated that they just received the preliminary hearing transcript & they needed more time to prepare.
10/22/20: Notice of submission of authority re severing of cases. Notice of motion hearing on 10/29/20 at 10am.

ALSO:
*Motions Hearing (to sever cases-Fremont County) (@ 10am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (17) (JJ last seen 9/23/19 & Tylee on 9/8/19, Rexburg; found 6/9/20 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) – for *Lori Norene Vallow aka Lori Norene Daybell (46/now 47) arrested (in Kauai, Hawaii), charged (2/20/20) & arraigned (3/6/20) with 2 counts of felony desertion & nonsupport of dependent children (<3 charges dismissed 7/2/20), amended (7/2/20) charged with resisting or obstructing LE, solicitation of a crime & contempt of court. $5M bond. Bond reduced (3/6/20) to $1M. Bond reduced (7/17/20) to $150K. Madison County
Trial set to being on 1/25/21 (thru 1/29/21).
Court info from 7/2/20 thru 7/14/20 reference post #1176 here:
Found Deceased - ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #47

Guardianship hearing on 9/30/20. 9/17/20 Update: Status hearing. Stipulation to dismiss. Guardianship hearing on 9/30/20-vacated. 7/15/20 Update: Notice of remote hearing on 7/17/20 at 10:30am for pretrial conference thru telephone or video conference (Zoom) before Magistrate Judge Michelle Mallard.
7/17/20 Update: Defense attorney Mark Means requests a week for jury trial for this case. Vallow waived right to speedy trial asks for 6 months to prepare their case. Jury trial set for Jan 25-29, 2021 beginning 9am - Madison County. Judge Michelle Mallard was not prepared to take up the issue of bond today. Bond reduced to $150K ($50k for each charge). If she posts bond additional stipulation is no contact/communication with co-conspirators. Pretrial conference hearing on 1/4/21 @ 10:30am.
9/21/20 Update: Defense attorney Mark Means filed 2 motions in Lori's case in Madison County: 1) motion for transfer and joinder with her case in Fremont County and 2) motion for venue change.

Charged (6/30/20) with 2 counts of conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence. Bond set at $1M. Fremont County
Trial set to begin on 3/22/21 (to 4/2/21).
Court info from 3/5/20 thru 8/26/20 reference post #590 here:
Found Deceased - ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #53

9/1/20 Update: Fremont County: State’s Motion for Joinder & Memo in Support of Motion for Joinder. Arraignment hearing on 8/27 has been rescheduled to 9/10/20.
9/10/20 Update: Defense waived the reading of the charges. Plead not guilty. Trial set for April 2, 2021 10am. March 22, 2021 pretrial scheduled. Official notice filed lists the dates and times for Vallow’s pre-trial and jury trial. Pre-trial: 2/25/21 10am & Jury trial: 3/22/21 - 4/2/21 10am. 9/14/20: Defense files Notice of Non-objection re: Motion for Joinder. Motion re: Clothing. 9/15/20: Regarding Motion Re: Clothing-defendant shall be permitted to wear "street" clothing of her choice to any & all hearings, proceedings.
9/17/20: Defense Motion for Transfer of Case (Venue). Defense Motion for Extension of Time re: Pretrial motions.
10/22/20: Notice of submission of authority re severing of cases. Notice of motion hearing on 10/29/20 at 10am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth