Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to look back at the way things were during the 1918 pandemic, to get it under control - and it still took several years.

Closing schools and places of public amusement
Enforcing “no-spitting” ordinances
Encouraging people to use handkerchiefs or disposable tissues
Requiring people to wear masks in public

As one Red Cross PSA put it, “the man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker.”
'Mask Slackers' Faced Enforcement, Punishment - Common punishments were fines, prison sentences and having your name printed in the paper.

“Today we can look back and see that they flattened the curve and the communities that did enforce much stricter regulations and for a longer period of time and began earlier had lower death rates”

When Mask-Wearing Rules in the 1918 Pandemic Faced Resistance

“the man or woman or child who will not wear a mask now is a dangerous slacker”

This is brilliant!

BBC daily round up:

1. Millions more people in England move up a tier
2. Scotland's Covid alert areas revealed
3. Cannon and Ball star dies after Covid-19 diagnosis
4. NHS app to send more self-isolation alerts

And my favourite:
Model train maker steams ahead in lockdown
There's good news for one company as a result of the pandemic. Model railway maker Hornby has seen its sales surge by 33% in the six months to the end of September, as more people took up hobbies in lockdown. Not long ago, the firm, which also makes Corgi cars and Scalextric racing kits, was a "company in chaos" and losing up to £10m a year. Its boss has hailed the firm's return to profit in a "time of adversity".

Covid-19: Tier news for millions in England and Scotland, and Bobby Ball dies

Do you keep refreshing the way I do? California hasn't reported all its figures yet and some states still have no report at all. In fact, Los Angeles hasn't reported figures yet - so right now, CA looks like the Golden State, but I'm not so sure.

While it's a good thing that the mortality rate is "only" 3%, can you imagine if someone decreed that 3% of people in a locale were going to die in the next month say, from cars crashing into them?

Do you keep refreshing the way I do? California hasn't reported all its figures yet and some states still have no report at all. In fact, Los Angeles hasn't reported figures yet - so right now, CA looks like the Golden State, but I'm not so sure.

While it's a good thing that the mortality rate is "only" 3%, can you imagine if someone decreed that 3% of people in a locale were going to die in the next month say, from cars crashing into them?

I don't think many people equate a percentage with a real number of people. For every 100 people in a community, 3 are going to die. For every 1,000 people, 30 are going to die. For every 10,000 people, 300 are going to die.

They just think "3% isnt that much". IMO

Yes, if these were car crashes there would be police sitting all over the place, stopping the hoon drivers. At least, in Australia there would be.

I don't think many people equate a percentage with a real number of people. For every 100 people in a community, 3 are going to die. For every 1,000 people, 30 are going to die. For every 10,000 people, 300 are going to die.

Yes, if these were car crashes there would be police sitting all over the place, stopping the hoon drivers. At least, in Australia there would be.

BBM

We aren't sitting at 3% of our population deceased from Covid, though. That would be almost 10 million people.

In your example we are looking at something like .0006 right now.

Jmo

BBM

We aren't sitting at 3% of our population deceased from Covid, though. That would be almost 10 million people.

In your example we are looking at something like .0006 right now.

Jmo

My reply was to this post. Maybe there is some confusion about which area we are speaking of?

My reply was to this post. Maybe there is some confusion about which area we are speaking of?

No, I'm not confused. Not at all. In your example you said if 3 out of every 100 people died in a car accident, Australia would react. I'm paraphrasing. I'm simply pointing out, to avoid confusion, that 3% of our population has not died from Covid, as per the car accident math. :)

My surgical masks have a wire but I think my nose might be too narrow, it doesn't adhere snugly even when I pinch it on. It's like the air still pushes up and over the top-- fogging my glasses. I wonder if N95 masks would fit better.
That’s why I said a proper nose wire. This is what I use inside the masks I make. Note that you can get them with adhesive on them so you can simply “glue” them on top of a surgical mask. I make my masks with a channel so it can be inserted and then removed for washing. These are more than a “wire”, really. Cheap enough for you to try.
https://www.amazon.com/Without-Adhesive-Sewable-Washable-Handmade/dp/B08BJRVX7J

I think we might make it through two roads of approach.

Firstly there will be a slow awakening, so people will be more cautious. Enough people are going to pass away ... people who are related to the non-mask wearers and other deniers. Unfortunately, this will mean an even more-massive death toll, and/or very sick people. :(

Then other methods will come into play. There will be accurate fast tests, perhaps some relevant legislation ("you are killing people with your risky actions, off to jail with you"), nose sprays, sniffer dogs, other new things.

I saw a video yesterday where a Coronavirus Task Force member (Admiral Brett Giroir) said that 'more draconian measures' will be taken. But then in the next breath he said that they know how to control the virus, they did it in the Deep South and the Sunbelt - which have escalating numbers - so I kinda dismissed his rhetoric.

We need to remember that the 1918 pandemic lasted for several years. I think that there will be no getting out of this one easily. Much as our quick-fix/convenience-oriented populations would like to think so.

I foresee massive "you're limiting my freedom" court cases, as Wisconsin has had.

Last edited:

Yes, I get a bit refreshy when I know the daily figures are due here. I much preferred it when the numbers kept going down though :(

I just got a message from a US friend "Things are getting really bad in the US". Ding, ding, ding ... it is finally getting noticed. This time, my friend didn't argue with me about how relatively well Gov Cuomo is doing in protecting the people in his state.

I said to my friend, all you can do is keep encouraging the people you know to do the right thing. The remedy will start with the 'little people', in the case of the US.

IMO

In El Paso, Tx, 44% of people testing positive are hospitalized - that's the phase they're in (serious to critical).
Sad situation there...

https://twitter.com/edlavaCNN

The hospitalization rate in #ElPaso has jumped 365% this month.

JUST IN: #ElPaso County Judge has issued a two-week shutdown of all non-essential services starting at midnight to help get the #coronavirus outbreak under control before the holiday season. Election activities are not affected.

BBM

What can we learn from this wildly varied pattern of coronavirus spread? As far as Europe, the Americas and the Middle East are concerned: not very much, except that premature easing of restrictions will almost always lead to a resurgence in cases.

Of the 120 countries around the world that have experienced clear second waves or late first waves,only six have emerged from them, to varying degrees ...

Excellent testing and tracing systems allowed them to avoid this fate.

Leadership, science and unity got us and our Asia-Pacific neighbours to this place. And it’s these things that stand between a "zero COVID" life and the devastation of a new wave.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/c...nd-the-rest-of-the-world-20201029-p569ub.html

There would be where I live too. And at schools - it would be total outrage if 3% of the teachers were run over each month!

Of course, doctors, nurses and respiratory techs are dying too. It's not as if it's evenly distributed through all occupations (although teachers are now in the line of fire many places, as well).

6% of cases have been LE, IIRC. Being off long term is another problem that we're seeing here in the Los Angeles area - many reasons why people are still out of it once they're not contagious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie