CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

After reading the article about all of these disappearances, I thought it was super weird that both Luke Neville and Marshal's vehicles were burned out.

IIRC Luke’s vehicle was found within 20km of where he lived.

Believe it or not, abandoned burned out vehicles is not that uncommon a find in remote areas. Not all are connected to a murder, who knows why people set them on fire but they do. Sometimes I suppose it’s just because they can.

Wood Buffalo RCMP » Wood Buffalo RCMP recover burned and abandoned vehicles
Fort McMurray, Alta. –On October 23, 2019, the Wood Buffalo RCMP Crime Reduction Unit, RCMP Auto Theft Unit, and Alberta Environment and Parks located and recovered 33 abandoned or burned vehicles within the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo.

Wood Buffalo RCMP and Alberta Environment and Parks continue to work together to locate additional stolen, abandoned, or damaged vehicles. Public assistance in reporting property crime related to vehicles is greatly valued so police can investigate and ensure public and environmental safety.....”

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to bring awareness to these cases, but the idea that the individuals or circumstances have anything in common doesn't fly with me.

I think what they share in common is to have disappeared in a vast wilderness with major highways travelling through (except Ryan Schtuka, the ski resort is very off the beaten track).

It's perhaps interesting to contemplate the ways the cases are different.

In the Provencher/Scurr case, the vehicle was not damaged in any way. It was evidently driven by the perps and left there, in order to distract police from where they should look for the crime scene. The murdered men were older and known to have been involved with drug smuggling in the past (thereby being a threat to someone), and police knew early on who they went to visit and why, and suspected foul play because of that. Their bodies evidently revealed they were murdered.

Ben Tyner is known to have been in a particular place and time just before disappearing. His vehicle was left intact, and it appears as though an elaborate cover story was rigged to try to make it appear that he had an accident, but IMO police aren't buying it. So this case also shows signs of a pre-determined murder plot, though there's no indication or suggestion Tyner was ever involved with drugs, on the contrary would probably have reported it. He was older and mature enough to be a threat to someone.

Ryan Schutka was also known to be in a particular place and time, a short walk to his home, when he disappeared very late on a cold night. He seems to have been amongst other very young people his own age, who, in ski resorts, are often into partying and consuming recreational drugs. I can't see him as a threat to anyone. So whatever happened was, IMO, misadventure, rather than a plot by experienced/knowledgable killer(s).

So little is known about Luke Neville, one cannot speculate. His situation is somewhat similar to Marshal's, in that his truck was found burnt out. This rules out a simple accident.

I don't know much about burning trucks, but if we consider the case of the young BC killers from summer 2019, burning one's vehicle is something the driver seems to do, to cover their own tracks and, perhaps symbolically, burn one's own bridges back to normal life.

Consider, if you have hurt or killed someone and hidden their body. How long and far would you want to drive that person's vehicle? Firstly, you need to have another car and driver follow you, unless you plan to steal another vehicle. So you keep to places where you can call on those backups. Secondly, you don't want to get stopped by police, so you don't attract attention to yourself. If the vehicle is old, you might be concerned if it broke down, or had something minor wrong with it, that police will stop you for. So equally, you probably wouldn't want to attract attention by setting fire to the vehicle, unless you'd stolen another car, or were on a suicide mission.

IMO, Marshal drove his own truck and burnt it so he'd have no way to get back to his life, if he changed his mind. Then he started walking, and disappeared far off the trails.

The one thing this area of Pemberton has, that the Rockies don't have, is that you really can disappear into the mountains and never be found.

ETA: MOO

Excellent summaries! I agree, sure if somebody wants to read a six word headline all these cases could be connected but the circumstances within each are very different. I think it’s somewhat of an injustice toward the other respective families for CBC to run this story of a possible SK just for the sake of MIs disappearance especially when there’s a possible criminal element involved in the Provencher/Scurr case.

Is there a connection between fugitive Brandon Teixeira and murdered Surrey man Ryan Provencher?

They weren't really in the same area, it's a 3 hr drive along a very remote mountainous road to get to Pemberton from Spence's bridge.

Good point, just to add further context, BC is a huge province with a population of just over 5 million and 1/2 live in metro Vancouver. As a result there’s vast areas of sparsely and unpopulated land, rugged and heavily treed. This makes locating missing persons, whether it be murder victims, suicide or accidental death extremely difficult especially when there’s no obvious leads to a precise location. That’s reality, far from proof a SK is on the loose.

BC is far larger than California with a population of almost 40 million.
upload_2020-8-31_18-42-2.jpeg

BC is gigantic compared to Florida with a population of over 21 million.
upload_2020-8-31_18-43-25.jpeg

How big is British Columbia? – BCRobyn

Good point, just to add further context, BC is a huge province with a population of just over 5 million and 1/2 live in metro Vancouver. As a result there’s vast areas of sparsely and unpopulated land, rugged and heavily treed. This makes locating missing persons, whether it be murder victims, suicide or accidental death extremely difficult especially when there’s no obvious leads to a precise location. That’s reality, far from proof a SK is on the loose.

BC is far larger than California with a population of almost 40 million.
View attachment 262163

BC is gigantic compared to Florida with a population of over 21 million.
View attachment 262164

How big is British Columbia? – BCRobyn

I think this is the biggest problem both with speculation and with Marshal's case. We have such a huge area. I wish I had suggestions for how the family can move forward but I really have no ideas.

I think this is the biggest problem both with speculation and with Marshal's case. We have such a huge area. I wish I had suggestions for how the family can move forward but I really have no ideas.

I can surely understand the family is hurting and desperately want answers.

My opinion only but it seems to me there’s absolutely no proof MI was targeted by a serial killer and taking an adversarial stance against LE for not investigating his disappearance as such can be harmful as it impedes a collaborative working relationship between the two parties. Every province or state, both in Canada and the US, each have outstanding missing persons cases and just grouping various brief news reports together is certainly not proof toward “aha a serial killer is at large!”.

Critical information regarding a person’s disappearance is gleaned from such things as their mental state in days prior to their disappearance, their circle of current friends and associates, the type and nature of their activities, etc directly leading up to their disappearance. Most of that information regarding MI either appears to be unknown or has not been publicly shared. I only mention this because, worst case scenario, by predetermining a serial killer must be responsible, the family may not be interested in learning any information if it points toward another possible scenario. It is my hope they will seek grief counselling as it may prove helpful.

JMO

I can surely understand the family is hurting and desperately want answers.

My opinion only but it seems to me there’s absolutely no proof MI was targeted by a serial killer and taking an adversarial stance against LE for not investigating his disappearance as such can be harmful as it impedes a collaborative working relationship between the two parties. Every province or state, both in Canada and the US, each have outstanding missing persons cases and just grouping various brief news reports together is certainly not proof toward “aha a serial killer is at large!”.

Critical information regarding a person’s disappearance is gleaned from such things as their mental state in days prior to their disappearance, their circle of current friends and associates, the type and nature of their activities, etc directly leading up to their disappearance. Most of that information regarding MI either appears to be unknown or has not been publicly shared. I only mention this because, worst case scenario, by predetermining a serial killer must be responsible, the family may not be interested in learning any information if it points toward another possible scenario. It is my hope they will seek grief counselling as it may prove helpful.

JMO
Agreed, the number of missing (especially missing young men) in BC is certainly worrying, but I don't think we can point to any one person as being involved. As mentioned above, BC is very big, can be very spread out, lots of wooded areas and outdoor activities like hiking and camping are ofc very common. If the missing were members of vulnerable groups (i.e. sex workers a la Robert Pickton) I might be more inclined to believe that they were connected.
Also, a lot of Canadians experiencing homeless or addiction eventually make there way down to Vancouver and surrounding areas. I'm sure at least a few MP are currently living incognito in Vancouver downtown east side. (Not implying that Marshall would be as well)

Agreed, the number of missing (especially missing young men) in BC is certainly worrying, but I don't think we can point to any one person as being involved. As mentioned above, BC is very big, can be very spread out, lots of wooded areas and outdoor activities like hiking and camping are ofc very common. If the missing were members of vulnerable groups (i.e. sex workers a la Robert Pickton) I might be more inclined to believe that they were connected.
Also, a lot of Canadians experiencing homeless or addiction eventually make there way down to Vancouver and surrounding areas. I'm sure at least a few MP are currently living incognito in Vancouver downtown east side. (Not implying that Marshall would be as well)

Yes, that or involvement with criminal organizations is often associated particularly with BC (rightly or wrongly).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ups-have-links-to-b-c-inquiry-hears-1.5605561
“A public inquiry into money laundering has heard that British Columbia appears to have more high-level organized crime groups than other provinces....

........British Columbia's port access and proximity to Mexico make it a natural gateway for illicit drugs into other parts of Western Canada.....

......Among 14 organized criminal groups assessed as national high-level threats, 10 are linked to B.C., the inquiry heard.

Organizations considered high-level threats may have interprovincial networks or international connections and engage in multiple criminal activities....”

Something I don’t get and unfortunately MSM didn’t bother to seek professional feedback from LE - How can a missing person case be declared Criminal??? LE is bound by the Police Act. Is there such a designation?

It’s not illegal for someone to intentionally “go missing” and not inform anyone of their whereabouts.

Maybe the family want MI to be declared deceased and LE to conduct a homicide investigation? But so far there’s no evidence he’s dead much less murdered. His disappearance has been deemed “suspicious” and until there’s proof of foul play I’ve never heard of a missing persons case being classified as “criminal” in Canada, ever.

Family of Marshal Iwaasa want to have missing person’s case classified as ‘criminal’

Last edited:
Something I don’t get and unfortunately MSM didn’t bother to seek professional feedback from LE - How can a missing person case be declared Criminal??? LE is bound by the Police Act. Is there such a designation?

It’s not illegal for someone to intentionally “go missing” and not inform anyone of their whereabouts.

Maybe the family want MI to be declared deceased and LE to conduct a homicide investigation? But so far there’s no evidence he’s dead much less murdered. His disappearance has been deemed “suspicious” and until there’s proof of foul play I’ve never heard of a missing persons case being classified as “criminal” in Canada, ever.

Family of Marshal Iwaasa want to have missing person’s case classified as ‘criminal’
Yes, police investigations simply cannot be run by members of the public, even if they are family, as I think the billionaire Sherman family has discovered.

I think it would definitely be in the territory of human rights violations if police began search and seizure, and questioning people as suspects, without having the evidence to prove a crime has even been committed, not to mention with no idea where and when. What if Marshall gave me a ride weeks before skipping off to Mexico, and because my DNA is on his truck, suddenly I'm a murder suspect? IMO, that would be grounds for a successful court appeal of a murder conviction, if that ever came to pass.

Sadly, the family is left in limbo of having missing lived ones, they have my deep sympathy.

I believe police are alert to possible criminal scenarios, just in case evidence emerges.

bump
there's been a bit of talk of another potential lead in the public FB group for Marshal (that is run by his family). Hopefully because the group is public + the info is being mentioned by family members I can mention this. If not please remove and I will try to be more vague.
The Iwaasa family has been speaking with family of another missing man (Daniel Reoch - last seen in Squamish 25 nov 2019, which would be 2 days after marshals car was found) and the family has personally identified items of Daniel's in the mess at Marshal's car. This has NOT been confirmed and I believe they are going by picture evidence only.
It is mentioned in the comments of this post.
upload_2021-6-8_21-25-59.png
There is also a conversation on this post on Daniel's public Missing page about the potential link.

bump
there's been a bit of talk of another potential lead in the public FB group for Marshal (that is run by his family). Hopefully because the group is public + the info is being mentioned by family members I can mention this. If not please remove and I will try to be more vague.
The Iwaasa family has been speaking with family of another missing man (Daniel Reoch - last seen in Squamish 25 nov 2019, which would be 2 days after marshals car was found) and the family has personally identified items of Daniel's in the mess at Marshal's car. This has NOT been confirmed and I believe they are going by picture evidence only.
It is mentioned in the comments of this post.
View attachment 300017
There is also a conversation on this post on Daniel's public Missing page about the potential link.

For reference...fwiw
CANADA - Canada - Daniel Reoch, 29, Squamish, BC, Nov 25, 2019

If Daniel and Marshal are truly connected, that would mean that he left on the 17th, drove about 13~ hours to the Squamish area, interacted with Daniel between the ~18th and the ~24th during which Daniel put some of his items in the truck, then somehow his truck ended up an hour away, burnt out. A day after the car was found, Daniel was briefly arrested, and was missing by the next morning.
Few questions - why would Marshal know Daniel? I think previously family had mentioned he had no (known) connections to BC (edit - his sister Kassi explained on this post that there is no known connection, but someone saw them together "a couple days" before the 24th). If Marshal and Daniel interacted in town, why are there no solid sightings of them together? On the FB page for Daniel (which I linked in last post), it says "at least one" community member had seen them together, but I am surprised it's not more/more conclusive. Of course, if they were doing something secretive, they wouldn't be skipping around in public together.
Also, is Daniel's timeline known for the days before his arrest? Did he have any big, unaccounted for periods between the 18th and 24th where he could have been involved in the disposal of MI's car?

Last edited:
As per photos posted by DH, Marshal's brother-in-law, here are some items that are potentially not Marshal's/could belong to Daniel. I want to make aware again that I think they are entirely going off these pics/similar pics, and more high-res pics or other info has not been released to them either.

Welding gloves and hammer - family says Marshal left his work clothes at home (I assume they've been accounted for). Daniel was doing that kind of work at the time. Family says they recognize the gloves, and I believe the black boots in the middle.
136036607_10158468560676998_2323651110630125368_n.jpg

Work cover-alls (again family said MI wouldn't have taken it) and strap-down belts. Could be that Daniel kept them in his truck but I don't know.
136154337_10158468560736998_1281340313474061449_n.jpg

Family is also saying that this red cooler was Daniel's cousin's, and had his name written on it. Honestly I can't see a thing from the pictures, I can't see anything unique about this particular cooler from the photos provided.
135911690_10158468560686998_8983451680718709258_n.jpg

If Daniel and Marshal are truly connected, that would mean that he left on the 17th, drove about 13~ hours to the Squamish area, interacted with Daniel between the ~18th and the ~24th during which Daniel put some of his items in the truck, then somehow his truck ended up an hour away, burnt out. A day after the car was found, Daniel was briefly arrested, and was missing by the next morning.
Few questions - why would Marshal know Daniel? I think previously family had mentioned he had no (known) connections to BC (edit - his sister Kassi explained on this post that there is no known connection, but someone saw them together "a couple days" before the 24th). If Marshal and Daniel interacted in town, why are there no solid sightings of them together? On the FB page for Daniel (which I linked in last post), it says "at least one" community member had seen them together, but I am surprised it's not more/more conclusive. Of course, if they were doing something secretive, they wouldn't be skipping around in public together.
Also, is Daniel's timeline known for the days before his arrest? Did he have any big, unaccounted for periods between the 18th and 24th where he could have been involved in the disposal of MI's car?

DR’s vehicle was abandoned and he was last seen walking away on a trail from a relative’s porch. So if DR and MI had some sort of secret connection, where was DR’s identified belongings stored? How and why would’ve they ended up in MIs truck because even if they’d set off to go to a jobsite together then it appears MI apparently had no work clothes of his own. And why would MI leave Lethbridge without telling anyone he was headed to BC to work? What of his rented apartment in Calgary? Did his landlady notice he was gone for extended periods of time in the past? For a theory to intertwine the disappearance of DR and MI together, there appears to be large missing gaps including details about what was going on at the time in the life of one or the other. Surely LE knows far more than what gets reported by the media.

Even though it appears there’s no obvious connection between the two of them, other than they’re both missing however I can appreciate MI’s family wants his disappearance to be classified as criminal, even if it means he must’ve driven to BC after all. For that reason perhaps additional searches of the Pemberton area is also warranted, as the weather has much improved.

All my speculation….

DR’s vehicle was abandoned and he was last seen walking away on a trail from a relative’s porch. So if DR and MI had some sort of secret connection, where was DR’s identified belongings stored? How and why would’ve they ended up in MIs truck because even if they’d set off to go to a jobsite together then it appears MI apparently had no work clothes of his own. And why would MI leave Lethbridge without telling anyone he was headed to BC to work? What of his rented apartment in Calgary? Did his landlady notice he was gone for extended periods of time in the past? For a theory to intertwine the disappearance of DR and MI together, there appears to be large missing gaps including details about what was going on at the time in the life of one or the other. Surely LE knows far more than what gets reported by the media.

Even though it appears there’s no obvious connection between the two of them, other than they’re both missing however I can appreciate MI’s family wants his disappearance to be classified as criminal, even if it means he must’ve driven to BC after all. For that reason perhaps additional searches of the Pemberton area is also warranted, as the weather has much improved.

All my speculation….
Agreed - this theory is circumstantial, mostly based on the similarity in time and space (which could be a coincidence). I don't blame the family for looking for clues or leads though, reading the FB pages it seems that they are very frustrated with LE's investigative work (or, lack of work). I know they were trying to contact Lethbridge/Pemberton PD about this potential lead - hopefully they at least look into it. It wouldn't be too hard to confirm or deny; just look closer at items from the scene (hopefully they were taken into evidence!) and see if they truly belonged to DR.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back