Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia records zero local coronavirus cases for first time since June

Congratulations Australia! This is what good leadership and waging war on the virus looks like. The lockdown in Victoria did its job and the rest of the country has been complying with the safety measures to the point where we got this amazing result.

I know it's not over, there will always be more cases popping up. But Australia is now in an excellent position to respond aggressively to any future outbreaks and keep things well under control. What a well-earned success story.

Australia records zero local coronavirus cases for first time since June

Congratulations Australia! This is what good leadership and waging war on the virus looks like. The lockdown in Victoria did its job and the rest of the country has been complying with the safety measures to the point where we got this amazing result.

I know it's not over, there will always be more cases popping up. But Australia is now in an excellent position to respond aggressively to any future outbreaks and keep things well under control. What a well-earned success story.

Seconding this congratulations. I knew you guys were going to freaking nail it, as I said. Your sacrifices and commitment to science have paid off. Well done. I also have faith that when brush fires occur, your immediate mitigation via testing, tracing, isolating, etc. will help maintain this. Again, in the 2005 documentary “The Coming Pandemic”, you guys were already on top of it then.

Thank you for being an example and source of hope for the rest of the world; hopefully those who are under the false assumption that pro activity is useless can see that it can be done.

Remember, this virus needs a live host. If we can just make some sacrifices now, it will pay off later. As Dr. O refers to it, “pay now or pay later”, or as Doc T has said over and over “cut it from its bud”.

No doubt, however, we are, as Dr. Fauci says, “very poorly positioned”.

Back in the old days we had a :deadhorse: icon. Miss those.

Yes, death certificates have primary and secondary causes on them.

And docs would be expected no matter what the underlying diabetes/COPD etc to perhaps be the primary, the COVID per DRG's would be expected as secondary, no matter. MOO.

I really don't understand the push back on such here as to why the issue of adding COVID is an issue as those folks with diabetes, overwieght, COPD, their race, their ???? was #1 on the sheet and COVID was also. Don't they deserve the same efforts and drugs as others that might raise the DRG reimbursement.

I truly have sat on sidelines for these discussions for weeks and do not understand why it is an issue for some to add COVID to the death certificate alongside other conditions. Not asking that I be convinced as I've followed for weeks, did DRG time studies in the 80's (and yep, they were precedent for where we are now, but I digress) .. I think all have tried and given their best to educate others... so :dead horse: to me... moving on as I just can't understand why adding COVID is an issue if they have such.
Back in the old days we had a :deadhorse: icon. Miss those.

Yes, death certificates have primary and secondary causes on them.

And docs would be expected no matter what the underlying diabetes/COPD etc to perhaps be the primary, the COVID per DRG's would be expected as secondary, no matter. MOO.

I really don't understand the push back on such here as to why the issue of adding COVID is an issue as those folks with diabetes, overwieght, COPD, their race, their ???? was #1 on the sheet and COVID was also. Don't they deserve the same efforts and drugs as others that might raise the DRG reimbursement.

I truly have sat on sidelines for these discussions for weeks and do not understand why it is an issue for some to add COVID to the death certificate alongside other conditions. Not asking that I be convinced as I've followed for weeks, did DRG time studies in the 80's (and yep, they were precedent for where we are now, but I digress) .. I think all have tried and given their best to educate others... so :dead horse: to me... moving on as I just can't understand why adding COVID is an issue if they have such.

Trump's browbeating of docs and saying deaths are exaggerated are hitting their mark. That is all he wants to do-

Wow, looking at that graph, it's pretty obvious that there is a huge spike of excess deaths unaccounted for.

We kind of knew where this was headed in Florida months ago, though. Remember the warning signs?

Florida Scientist Says She Was Fired For Not Manipulating COVID-19 Data

Florida governor under fire over claims state is 'cooking the books' on Covid-19

More recently:

Florida changes coronavirus data on the percent of tests coming back positive
I wouldn’t be surprised to learn your governor and mine have each other on speed dial.

..... sigh

Dr Fauci has the patience of Job to be able to stay so level headed in the face of the White House insults and naysaying.

He is a very strong man but behind closed doors I am sure he expresses sadness to his family about the state of our country- I am sure he wishes he could do what he has been trained to do for 40 years--- My heart goes out to him.

Yes, that, too, is a false narrative. And, yes, people will run with that.

But that doesn't mean we should create another false narrative to counter the first one.

In my opinion, what we need to do is be clear and factual about how and when cases are under-reported, or inflated, because it's happening on a case by case basis.

So are you suggesting we invent yet another watchdog agency to go and look over the shoulders of every county's medical examiners, throughout the US?

I'm just trying to understand here. You think the situation warrants going back over every case, case-by-case, to make sure they're CoVId? How would we get the data on people who have died of CoVid at home?

There are guidelines, and for the most part, they're being followed - as always. These are the same coroners and medical examiners that you depend on, if you are a US citizen, to handle these things on the daily. Most people are dying in hospital, in a CoVid care situation. They have multiple pathologies due to CoVid.

The signs of dying from CoVid may not be completely known, but that would result in missed cases, not over counting.

At any rate, why not leave it up to the same medical professionals we've always trusted? The number of cases where it's questionable whether COVid had anything to do with a death are tiny. People have medical records and tests. There are a lot of excess deaths this year, many could be CoVid - but I don't see anyone at the top asking for more help with that. Personally, I think it would be a waste of medical resources right now.

It will take years and years to get better or more exact numbers. The current numbers are close enough that we should put the resources into preventing CoVid.

To go case-by-case? An immense expense and it would be better spent opening our own medical PPE manufacturing businesses or in permanently expanding the number of negative pressure rooms in hospitals. And, if this ever settles down, into contact tracing.

If anything, it's just as likely that COVID related deaths are currently being under-reported. JMO. Only 66% of approx 300,000 excess deaths are being attributed to coronavirus right now.

I'm using the CDC's own October 20th report in my reasoning.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19, by Age and Race and Ethnicity — United States, January 26–October 3, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm?s_cid=mm6942e2_w
Summary
What is already known about this topic?

As of October 15, 216,025 deaths from COVID-19 have been reported in the United States; however, this might underestimate the total impact of the pandemic on mortality.

What is added by this report?

Overall, an estimated 299,028 excess deaths occurred from late January through October 3, 2020, with 198,081 (66%) excess deaths attributed to COVID-19. The largest percentage increases were seen among adults aged 25–44 years and among Hispanic or Latino persons.

What are the implications for public health practice?

These results inform efforts to prevent mortality directly or indirectly associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, such as efforts to minimize disruptions to health care.

Rsbm

If I had this medical issue where I couldn’t wear a mask because the doctor says it’s raises my CO2, then out of courtesy to others, I would have to forego church. I would not:

a) want to put others at risk
b) make others uncomfortable
c) make it where others wouldn’t go to church because of me
Agree! Maybe the Doc really did tell him not to wear a mask. I doubt he followed it up with "but it's OK, just go out and do the things you would if you could wear a mask."

Iowa numbers today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m.,we had 2,887 new confirmed cases for a total of 130,244 confirmed cases of which 93,511 had recovered (+323). 1 more had passed for a total of 1,716. There are 36,733 active postive cases. 128 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 676 (+ 46 new daily record). Here are the daily group counts: 0-17: 11,620 (+315); 18-40: 57,884 (+1,148); 41-60: 36,333 (+854); 61-80: 18,955 (+462); and 81+: 5,420 (+108). Nov. 1: 676 hospitalizations, total positive cases surpass 130,000
Iowa COVID-19 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member