Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump criticizes lockdowns in Europe as Covid-19 cases surge on the continent and in US - CNNPolitics

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump on Sunday harshly criticized strict lockdowns coming to some European countries to combat the coronavirus pandemic, claiming the restrictions are ineffective as cases surge both there and in the US.

"Europe imposed draconian lockdowns and cases were surging and deaths were surging but think of it, draconian. Now they have to do it all over again. What the hell are they doing? I think I'll go over and explain it to them," Trump said at a rally in Michigan. "But they're locking down parts of Europe again."

The President went on to claim that places with strict lockdowns are where "the people that do the worst" with fighting the pandemic are.

Doctors Begin to Crack Covid’s Mysterious Long-Term Effects
Severe fatigue, memory lapses, heart problems affect patients who weren’t that badly hit initially; ‘It’s been so long’

“Nearly a year into the global coronavirus pandemic, scientists, doctors and patients are beginning to unlock a puzzling phenomenon: For many patients, including young ones who never required hospitalization, Covid-19 has a devastating second act.

Many are dealing with symptoms weeks or months after they were expected to recover, often with puzzling new complications that can affect the entire body—severe fatigue, cognitive issues and memory lapses, digestive problems, erratic heart rates, headaches, dizziness, fluctuating...“

(nothing we don’t already know)
Eta: actually I take that back because I can’t view the whole article right now, so if someone wants to check it to be sure...

—-

@HongKongPhooey , did you see there is a support group in the UK for Long Haul Covid? I saw Doc T mention this the other day, grabbing reference

Eta2: “I would now like to hear from Lyth Hishmeh from the United. Lyth is a member of Long COVID SOS, a patient advocacy group in the UK.“
Source: post 98 here

Last edited:
Destin COVID "rapid" test site closed as questions about validity arise

The company they were buying the tests from said they were antibody tests. Who knows how many people have been told they didn't have COVID when they did.

This is what happens when the public chooses and uses its own testing kits. And by "public" I mean publicly owned businesses as well. CVS and Walgreens, etc. They are selling these kits. Do their buyers have any responsibility as to what the kits do? Are the buyers well-educated in an increasingly confusing viral landscape? How much oversight is there?

At any rate, antigen/antibody and live virus tests are supposedly available to the public. Two different things - and no one really counsels the buyer about what they are buying (and I know from experience that the pharmacy techs in many drugstores are not knowledgeable (if you are trying to use these home kits - speak to the actual pharmacist).

Positive tests from home testing are not reported to the CDC, as far as I know. If anyone knows how it can be that they are reported, I'd love to know.

This is a blatant, provable lie.

Yeah - he's just over the top into la-la land at that point. This is something that, if he tweeted it, it would get taken down. I'm surprised at CNN (although all they did was record him saying that - I assume that right after they followed up with "fact checking" - not that many are waiting for that part).

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...nov-1/73-5581bbe5-be8d-4df1-b081-6a1e8d92e7f0
Colorado:

COVID-19 statistics in Colorado | 9news.com

The number of people currently hospitalized is 686, and the state's seven-day, moving average positivity rate is 8.1%.

(gah, going up and up...)

Covid-19 brings unexpected boom to small Colorado town

JeffCo announces new health guidelines to limit spread of COVID-1 | 9news.com
Oct. 30, 2020
  • Outdoor events are limited to no more than 75 people.
  • Indoor events are limited to no more than 25 people.
  • Events cannot have more than one room, designated activity or area.
  • Spectators are prohibited from all high school sporting events.
  • Spectators are prohibited from all adult recreational and league sports.
  • 10 p.m. last call for alcohol sales for restaurants, bars and breweries that sell food.

BBM:
“JCPH said that there have been 1,815 cases of COVID-19 in the county between Oct. 14 and Oct. 28, which is the equivalent of 311.3 cases per 100,000 residents.

Over the same period, hospitalizations have increased by 80% and Jefferson County's positivity rate is 6.2%.“

https://www.jeffco.us/DocumentCente...JCPHO-20-009---Mitigation-Plan---FINAL?bidId=

Last edited:
I am exhausted. And I don't have covid.

Doctors Begin to Crack Covid’s Mysterious Long-Term Effects
Severe fatigue, memory lapses, heart problems affect patients who weren’t that badly hit initially; ‘It’s been so long’

“Nearly a year into the global coronavirus pandemic, scientists, doctors and patients are beginning to unlock a puzzling phenomenon: For many patients, including young ones who never required hospitalization, Covid-19 has a devastating second act.

Many are dealing with symptoms weeks or months after they were expected to recover, often with puzzling new complications that can affect the entire body—severe fatigue, cognitive issues and memory lapses, digestive problems, erratic heart rates, headaches, dizziness, fluctuating...“

(nothing we don’t already know)
Eta: actually I take that back because I can’t view the whole article right now, so if someone wants to check it to be sure...

—-

@HongKongPhooey , did you see there is a support group in the UK for Long Haul Covid? I saw Doc T mention this the other day, grabbing reference

Eta2: “I would now like to hear from Lyth Hishmeh from the United. Lyth is a member of Long COVID SOS, a patient advocacy group in the UK.“
Source: post 98 here

The research isn't new, but the MSM coverage now is better and more readable and widely available. Of course, it would have been nice if MSM had put this front and center 3 months ago. But, I think that summer's easing of covid made MSM think twice about putting that out there. They were hoping (against science) that the virus would just go away and they wouldn't have to add on more bad news.

UK has been out front on this. US is still sort of...quiet on this topic.

Another thing that isn't discussed is the average hospital time (and in the US, hospital bill for those who don't die. It's a way longer hospital stay on average than heart surgery 0r hip replacement.

The number of patients displaced from hospitals (because covid patients need such long hospitalization) is almost never discussed as a lede.

Spain:

“MADRID (Reuters) - Spain’s prime minister on Saturday condemned a series of violent protests in cities across the country against restrictions imposed to curb the surge of COVID-19 after a six-month state of emergency came into effect this week.“

[...]

“Meanwhile, demonstrators pelted police with rocks and other projectiles in Barcelona in a second night of disturbances in Spain’s second-largest city.

In the northern Spanish city of Logroño, about 150 people attacked police with stones, set fire to containers and looted shops, police reported. Riot police were drafted in to quell disturbances in Haro, in the wine-growing region of La Rioja.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez tweeted: “Only from responsibility, unity and sacrifice will we be able to defeat the pandemic that is devastating all countries. Violent and irrational behavior by minority groups is intolerable. It is not the way.””

More at link:
Protesters against COVID-19 restrictions clash with police in Spanish cities

Spread of COVID-19 strain traced from Spain across Europe

“A mutated form of the novel coronavirus, which originated in Spain, could have driven the second surge of COVID-19 infections in Europe.

Scientific teams based in Spain and Switzerland have identified the new strain, calling it 20A.EU1.“
—-

Coronavirus strain from Spain likely source for most of Europe's spread
It was first identified among farm workers in the eastern Spanish regions of Aragon and Catalonia.

Spain rocked by second night of clashes over coronavirus measures
—-

Spain enters six-month state of emergency to tackle pandemic
Oct. 29, 2020

“”We are aware that citizens are tired after months of effort and sacrifices, of not being able to do what they used to do before, to hug people, our family and friends,” Health Minister Salvador Illa told parliament.

“But it is not the time to relax measures, we have, very tough weeks and months ahead of us.”“

Video / Spain, Again a COVID-19 Hotspot, Under a State of Emergency  
Oct. 28, 2020

Spain Coronavirus: 1,264,517 Cases and 35,878 Deaths - Worldometer

—-

Violent clashes in Spain over COVID restrictions | Reuters Video
Nov.1, 2020

Last edited:
Well this graphic is chilling. I’m not sure it’s been previously posted. When you enter your location, the dots on the map show how many people in your area have died if all the deaths in the U.S were in your neighborhood. Here in Southern Oregon my entire county of about 225,000 would have been wiped out and then some, radiating over 21 miles out from my home.

It may be behind a paywall, but you get the idea. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...irus-deaths-neighborhood/?itid=sf_coronavirus

Adding to this post...
Inmate, age 61, with underlying conditions dies less than 2 weeks after COVID diagnosis. Definitely a COVID death. Man had underlying conditions but was not on his death bed when he became ill.

Stillwater prison inmate dies less than 2 weeks after testing positive for COVID-19

"
Of the 1,278 men incarcerated at the Stillwater facility, more than 750 have tested positive for COVID-19, so far, with most experiencing no symptoms, according to DOC. More than 150 Stillwater prison staff have also tested positive for COVID-19.

The facility went on medical lockdown last month due to a COVID-19 outbreak and remained in the lockdown as of Wednesday. DOC said the Stillwater facility didn't have its first confirmed COVID-19 case until September and officials have worked to reduce spread since that time."

I guess they must be rounding a corner huh?

Well this graphic is chilling. I’m not sure it’s been previously posted. When you enter your location, the dots on the map show how many people in your area have died if all the deaths in the U.S were in your neighborhood. Here in Southern Oregon my entire county of about 225,000 would have been wiped out and then some, radiating over 21 miles out from my home. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...irus-deaths-neighborhood/?itid=sf_coronavirus

Here it is without the paywall.

What if all covid‑19 deaths in the United States had happened in your neighborhood?

eta / that was hard to watch.

Welcome to the world of exponents. These numbers aren’t just rising, they’re kicking up into a tornado. That’s literally how I visualized it in my head when I heard the part at the end about up 30 percent over the last couple weeks in FLA, TX and CA.

We’re about to see some wacky graphs, imo. We’ve got a much higher root number now, obviously. This is no epiphany, I realize...just sayin.

(Shudder)

Last edited:
Wow, they kept that quiet!

Prince William 'secretly battled coronavirus in April' | Daily Mail Online

Following the news that his father and the Prime Minister had both fallen ill, William believed that going public with his sickness would only add to the nation's anxieties.

As the Queen gave her impassioned 'We Will Meet Again' address, the Duke decided it would be better not to add to Britain's strain, sources said.

And despite the impact the virus had on him, the father-of-three continued to contact frontline NHS workers to tell them how 'proud' he was of their commitment.
I wonder how many others we don’t know about.
I’ve seen several celebrities that posted they had it back in March/April and nothing was ever posted on their social media until just recently. Wonder why they waited so long? Would it have helped if they had shared the news then and encouraged people to wear masks, etc?

As we know, Doc T welcomes creative ideas from various outlets, which is how/why they’ve done cool stuff like the “One World” concert with The Stones, Lady Gaga, etc. Doc T literally continues to ask people and strive for ideas to help engage communities and increase solidarity.

“Community engagement“, as we’ve known from the beginning, is a key sector of the “comprehensive strategy” WHO has outlined and emphasized repeatedly. They have worked very well on this to date, imo, and have come up with a lot of great things such as contests, online training, concerts, etc.

I’m thinking about that Doc T memo from few days ago, the address to his committee members and advisors; it very clearly outlines some of his concerns going forward at this juncture:

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the 5th Meeting of the IHR Emergency Committee on COVID-19
29 October 2020
  • العربية
  • 中文
  • Français
  • Español
Professor Didier Houssin,

Emergency Committee Members and advisors,

Dear colleagues and friends,

Let me start by warmly welcoming you to the 5th meeting of the IHR Emergency Committee on COVID-19.

Since the Emergency Committee last met in July, many things have evolved, both for the positive and for the negative.

We know much more about the virus now. The epidemiological patterns and options for treatment are better understood.

We have gathered evidence and best-practices for breaking chains of transmission. We have learned to respond in a more targeted and tailored manner.

But we also face new challenges.

We are particularly concerned about issues of community engagement and the politization of the response.

This pandemic is far from over. We need to adjust all our efforts to be suitable for the long-run.

Strong leadership integrated in a whole-of-government and whole-of-society approach will help to sustain a consistent and robust response.

Mental health must be an integral part of all response efforts.

In order to reflect variations in severity and epidemiology within and across countries and regions, it will be necessary to adopt appropriate indicators.

This includes ones to measure the burden on health systems and hospitals in particular.

This will allow for the review and refinement of measures based on science and thorough public health risk assessments.

Risk management is about taking actions based on available evidence through solidarity, transparency and in an inclusive manner.

Where certainty and evidence remain elusive, measures need to be evaluated regularly and actions course-corrected if necessary.

Addressing uncertainties and the socio-economic impact of measures will increase confidence in the people leading the response.

Basic epidemiological interventions such as contact tracing and surveillance remain the most critical and effective interventions that break chains of transmission.

But we also need to get better at engaging individuals and communities to support the COVID-19 response. This is key for any public health intervention, as we all know.

There are a number of areas that require further consideration, and I welcome your advice.

These include:

Establishing sustainable long-term response strategies.

Refining indicators for risk management.

Implementing time-limited public health, social and travel measures,

which are based on risk assessments and scientific evaluations.

Maintaining basic epidemiological interventions such as contact tracing and surveillance.

Addressing misinformation and infodemics.

Readying countries for the introduction of COVID-19 vaccines and avoiding vaccine nationalism.

And how countries can best report to WHO on their progress on implementing the temporary recommendations.

Of course we should not be restricted by this. Any additional ideas you have are welcome.

====

Dr Soce Fall and Dr Jaouad Mahjour will update you with the latest technical background and provide you with a detailed overview on the progress made on the recommendations from your last meeting.

WHO heavily relies on your advice and your external expert view.

I am proud and reassured to be able to draw on your expertise in these difficult times. Much gratitude for your continued support and help. I wish you a successful meeting.

I thank you. Merci beaucoup chair, and all members.

So, what ARE the solutions to what Doc T asks/talks about here specifically? This is a very deep and serious question, and as one committed to “Science, Solutions, and Solidarity“, I think this is something worth taking a look at collectively. We can talk about the problems all day long, but what are the solutions? We’re about to get pummeled...even worse than we already are. Now, not that we’re going to save the whole world here, but it sure would be nice to actively try to maintain a constructive and forward focus as we enter these very dark times, at least in our minds. :D

Eta:

One of my main thoughts re: the above is that people need to understand that herd immunity is not an option right now. This is critical imo. This seems to be an area of major misunderstanding among many, one which is very dangerous, so perhaps there should be further public education on this topic.

Another thought is that imo there are specific challenges with some of the younger community, college aged specifically. It is of course understandable that some have that invincible feeling, but I think increased social media campaigns which really strike a chord with this population could be helpful in trying to sew the gap somehow. It’s certainly a challenge.

Last edited:

Not sure whether I was more shocked to learn how federal officials (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid) swooped down upon the first hard-hit skilled nursing facility in Kirkland WA not to offer any appreciable assistance but rather to pull the thinly-stretched staff away from their duties to grill them about the outbreak and try to make the facility into a scapegoat for the whole pandemic, OR to hear about the byzantine regulations that kept the University of Washington from using the COVID-19 test kits it had developed when the CDC-issued kits turned out to not work. Strangely, the U.S.’s current administration seems to have few qualms about bypassing previously-established testing requirements to fast-track FDA approval of novel or under-researched coronavirus treatments like HCQ...MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther