Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woman dies of Covid-19 on Spirit Airlines flight – but no other passengers are told — The Independent

“A woman died from Covid-19 on a Spirit Airlines flight in July, but none of the other passengers onboard were ever informed about the cause of death.”

“Despite the fact that investigators learned within two days that the woman had tested positive for coronavirus, this information was not fed back to any other passengers, including those who had been sitting near her on the aircraft.

Local police and fire departments were informed, but the health department, having received the positive Covid result directly from the lab rather than the Office of the Medical Investigator, did not investigate further or discover that the woman had been on a flight when she died, reports the Washington Post.”

Last edited:
I just sent an email to our local TV station here in the Detroit area about how the hospital my husband was in has Covid and regular patients on the same unit, and how nurses go between Covid patients and regular patient rooms. I find this practice risky and dangerous. I really don't expect a response but if i get one i will be pleased. I don't think a patient should have to worry about getting Covid because they are admitted to a hospital for other medical reasons.

@trvrb Our research group at
@fredhutch
@UWMedicine
@BrotmanBaty
has sequenced the viral genomes of two SARS-CoV-2 infections that were connected to the W.H. outbreak. We enrolled two individuals with exposures linked to the White House COVID-19 outbreak into an IRB-approved research study, collected nasal swabs and sequenced the SARS-CoV-2 virus in these swabs.
One infection, which we're calling WH1, yielded a complete genome with 14 mutations that distinguish it from the SARS-CoV-2 Wuhan reference virus. The other infection, WH2, yielded a partial genome...
Viral genome sequencing places White House COVID-19 outbreak into phylogenetic context
Tests Show Genetic Signature of Virus That May Have Infected President Trump

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-2_7-31-51.jpeg
    upload_2020-11-2_7-31-51.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 13
  • 9058ED05-F6ED-40AE-A847-8320A34F4E91.jpeg
    9058ED05-F6ED-40AE-A847-8320A34F4E91.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 7
Even worse is the person at the podium didn’t stop it, but rather encouraged it. SMH

I don't think Dr. Fauci ever expected to be treated so disrespectfully- especially by a president of the United States. As I said before, my heart goes out to him: I have no doubt he will be fired----I know beneath his strong exterior exists a sadness for himself and for the country he loves.

With all due respect, please do not refer to my posts and those of others on this important subject as “creating another false narrative” involving “emotions” and “politics.” Those words are dismissive of others’ intelligent opinions that have equal validity to yours, and they totally misrepresent our posts.

I’m afraid that the deep dive you continue to take into the intricacies and “facts and only the facts” of Medicare billing only serves to “muddy the waters” and distract attention from the subject at hand. I trust and hope that is not your intention.

Our focus from the beginning of this particular discussion has been the President’s disturbing distortion of Medicare billing (which most of his listeners do not understand) in order to deliberately malign doctors and hospitals, to create mistrust and division, and to minimize this horrible pandemic that is killing thousands in this country. Keeping our focus on this dangerous attitude is neither “political,” “emotional,” nor “creating another false narrative.” Rather, it is well in line with non-partisan scientists such as Dr Fauci who are trying to save lives.
JMO

I'm not really interested in discussing politics, only facts. I certainly was not referring to any of your posts as creating a false narrative, I was only saying how it doesn't help to create one in order to counter an existing one.

I apologize if you think I was pointing to you or to anyone else (specifically) on this forum. That was not my intent.

I get that a lot of emotions are in play, I also get that sniping at one another isn't helping to change hearts and minds.

I don't think Dr. Fauci ever expected to be treated so disrespectfully- especially by a president of the United States. As I said before, my heart goes out to him: I have no doubt he will be fired----I know beneath his strong exterior exists a sadness for himself and for the country he loves.

I have to admit that I am not a Fauci fan--not because of anything he's done or said since this pandemic started, but because he opposed dozens of medical researchers who petitioned the Obama Administration to stop funding gain-of-function research on viruses. He actually was instrumental in sending funding to the Wuhan Lab to promote that very type of research.

Too dangerous for me. And, I think a foolhardy stance for Fauci to take. The ban implemented by the Obama Administration should never have been lifted.

JMOO

That's for sure!

The US needs to pull together even without good government direction, because it is evident to all what the huge division is causing. The infected country it is creating. And all the deaths (understated/overstated/whatever). :(

And what I mean by 'without good government direction' is that the health experts are asking, pleading, for people to do what they are asking.
They are publicly providing forecasts, telling how long it will be till a vaccine is available (for those who will take one), saying what a horrendous winter it will be, saying what people need to do.

People can choose to ignore or buy into the government rhetoric, but they are extremely unwise to not listen to the likes of people like Dr Fauci - a non-partisan leader in his field.

IMO

Don't like Dr Fauci? Then pick another relevant medical expert/institution that you DO like. They are all saying the same thing.
Not one of them is saying .. "Don't wear a mask, crowd together, don't wash your hands, touch your face as much as you want, go out and about if you have covid, mingle with people if you have covid, mingle with other people if you have been exposed to covid in any way, don't quarantine".

I agree with everything you've said here. My own take on this is that Americans are still too leery of our officials, and I'd like to see a national campaign, such as we saw to help people quit smoking. I'd like to see television commercials that strike a chord with viewers and explain why they should be taking precautions.

Can Trump fire Fauci? Technically, no - CNNPolitics

Under federal law, Trump doesn't have the power to directly fire Fauci, a career civil servant, and remove him from government. And while Trump could try ordering his political appointees to dismiss the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Fauci could appeal -- a time-consuming process.

This is very disappointing news. This is a well-researched article in the NYTimes about how we may never discover the source of the virus because China threw up roadblocks at the start. This is information scientists and virologists really need to be able to predict the risk of future pandemics.

I was unaware that the WHO's constitution makes them indebted to the countries that finance the organization. That seems wrong in an ethical sense, since I think the WHO should be above politics.

This is long read, but for those who are interested in how and why we still don't know the source of the virus, it's a good read.
In Hunt for Virus Source, W.H.O. Let China Take Charge

What a treat here today in Florida... cool, crisp, breezy, no rain and no humidity! I can open up the whole house and get all the cooties out... and when I go out to run my errands, no sweating under a mask!
No excuse for no mask for those no maskers!

I'm not really interested in discussing politics, only facts. I certainly was not referring to any of your posts as creating a false narrative, I was only saying how it doesn't help to create one in order to counter an existing one.

I apologize if you think I was pointing to you or to anyone else (specifically) on this forum. That was not my intent.

I get that a lot of emotions are in play, I also get that sniping at one another isn't helping to change hearts and minds.

Part of the problem in trying to discuss Covid in the United States is that "Main Stream Media" is usually politically slanted. Even a discussion of data becomes convoluted by the myriad of political gamesmanship in manipulating the data.

It is too bad that people don't realize we are all in this "big boat" together, and when people keep rowing against each other, our "boat" just keeps going in circles and floundering. While others just keep trying to hopelessly bail out the water that keeps trying to topple the "boat". While others, just want the band to keep playing so they can go to the bar. No wonder it is such a mess.

This can be related to the "Titanic" in real time. We saw the ice berg, but kept going towards it, full steam ahead.
Ski, Party, Seed a Pandemic: The Travel Rules That Let Covid-19 Take Flight

This link is interesting to me, because I live in Montana, a state that was fairly untouched by the virus, if we could have shut down our state to only essential travel we wouldn't have the out of control Covid rate we have now.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you've said here. My own take on this is that Americans are still too leery of our officials, and I'd like to see a national campaign, such as we saw to help people quit smoking. I'd like to see television commercials that strike a chord with viewers and explain why they should be taking precautions.

It must come from the top, however.

Isn't that interesting. I usually go to the local Walgreens for my annual flu shot, but if the corporate company is not requiring strict adherence to safety precautions, I may need to go elsewhere this year. Thanks for sharing that.
You’re welcome. I imagine the mask compliance varies store by store based on the manager. But the zipping their mouths up tight if COVID happens looks like a strict corporate policy.

Can Trump fire Fauci? Technically, no - CNNPolitics

Under federal law, Trump doesn't have the power to directly fire Fauci, a career civil servant, and remove him from government. And while Trump could try ordering his political appointees to dismiss the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Fauci could appeal -- a time-consuming process.

So, should he want to fire Fauci, how does the very recent executive order Trump signed come into play? From what I’ve read it does give him authority to fire any civil servant and/or political appointee for whatever reason. Obviously I’ve only read articles about it and not the actual order but still... this is scary stuff to me.

The Trump administration has issued an executive order that would fundamentally restructure the federal workforce, making it easier for the government to fire thousands of federal workers, while also allowing political and other considerations to affect hiring.

The executive order, issued last week, would affect the professional employees in policymaking positions at the very top of the civil service — people like lawyers and scientists who are are not political appointees and serve from administration to administration regardless of which party controls the White House.

'A Huge Attack': Critics Decry Trump Order That Makes Firing Federal Workers Easier

That's for sure!

The US needs to pull together even without good government direction, because it is evident to all what the huge division is causing. The infected country it is creating. And all the deaths (understated/overstated/whatever). :(

And what I mean by 'without good government direction' is that the health experts are asking, pleading, for people to do what they are asking.
They are publicly providing forecasts, telling how long it will be till a vaccine is available (for those who will take one), saying what a horrendous winter it will be, saying what people need to do.

People can choose to ignore or buy into the government rhetoric, but they are extremely unwise to not listen to the likes of people like Dr Fauci - a non-partisan leader in his field.

IMO

Don't like Dr Fauci? Then pick another relevant medical expert/institution that you DO like. They are all saying the same thing.
Not one of them is saying .. "Don't wear a mask, crowd together, don't wash your hands, touch your face as much as you want, go out and about if you have covid, mingle with people if you have covid, mingle with other people if you have been exposed to covid in any way, don't quarantine".
IMO another part of the problem in the US is a lot of people quit watching the news because they think it’s untrustworthy and politically biased. Then there are others who find it too disturbing or are just “too busy”. At least that’s what my friends who are clueless about COVID trends tell me.

What’s interesting is most of them say they get the news they need from Facebook now. So while I believe traditional media’s ability to solve the problem will be limited, perhaps a grassroots effort on Facebook can make a real difference. Could be wrong—I go on FB a couple times a month so it’s not part of my routine. But it seems a majority of folks check it daily.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member