Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Great grand father of Darlene Polizzi and the grand mother of Darlene Polizzi. I think it's J. L. N. on the ring for her grandma
Hopefully the case owner gets back to me. Also on the phone bill the call from Newark NJ. That's where she's from. The report said possible family in TX. Her sister was there for a time I found on heritage. Com.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201101-130528_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-130528_Chrome.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20201101-130704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201101-130704_Chrome.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 79
Great grand father of Darlene Polizzi and the grand mother of Darlene Polizzi. I think it's J. L. N. on the ring for her grandma
Hopefully the case owner gets back to me. Also on the phone bill the call from Newark NJ. That's where she's from. The report said possible family in TX. Her sister was there for a time I found on heritage. Com.

Excellent info! :D

This might be the most interesting thing I've read on this thread in YEARS!

Last edited:
I think you're correct about the engraving. NamUs says the initials are ILN. Looking at typical engraving fonts, the first initial is either J or F.
I've inserted a side by side of the ring and typical engraving font for comparison.

Attachments

• pixlr_20201102024459961.jpg
    pixlr_20201102024459961.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 53
I know Carmichael robbed a bank on NJ now I'm going down that rabbit hole to see if I can, find a connection. Darlene disappeared in 1967. No trace just poof. She was married. Possibly her parents arranged it they used to do that back then. Especially if the girl was rebellious.. So here I go.... Send help if I'm not back in a few hours I may be lost in vintage digital data

So I found a few more rings made like the UID'S. after lots of digging.. Tadaaa! H. W. Peters out of Boston Massachusetts. He didn't have a patten make until 1923 that's why it was unmarked. I took some screen shots see what you think. He made rings for alot of larger schools in the area. I'm looking at a few that were open in 1917. To go with my theory I found Barringer high school in Newark NJ. Some of the other rings have the letter of the town. Here are the screen shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201103-123555_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-123555_Chrome.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20201103-124031_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-124031_eBay.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20201103-124517_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-124517_eBay.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20201103-124550_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-124550_eBay.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 57
  • 20201103_172811.jpg
    20201103_172811.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20201103-152233_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-152233_Google.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20201103-181253_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-181253_Chrome.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20201103-181341_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201103-181341_Chrome.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 43
And something else. The adapted a all year school policy to finish 8 years of school in 6.. So a high school graduate or Junior High or Grammer or Finishing school would be 2 years younger then the average student schooler everywhere else or even today. So a 8th grader would be 12, a senior would be 16 or close to that. Opens a few more doors on ring owner.

So I found a few more rings made like the UID'S. after lots of digging.. Tadaaa! H. W. Peters out of Boston Massachusetts. He didn't have a patten make until 1923 that's why it was unmarked. I took some screen shots see what you think. He made rings for alot of larger schools in the area. I'm looking at a few that were open in 1917. To go with my theory I found Barringer high school in Newark NJ. Some of the other rings have the letter of the town. Here are the screen shots.
Nice job!! Looks promising. I can't imagine the amount of digging you had to do to find this.

Nice job!! Looks promising. I can't imagine the amount of digging you had to do to find this.

It was alot. I have so many notes and screen shots.. I just hope something gets some where. I can't find alot of I for on HW Peter's.. Just scraps of info.. In one ad I found it said the had catalogs but I can't find anything else about them.

The class ring..a vital clue..was it a keepsake...or stolen? If there are any schools from New Jersey....that have existed since 1917...send a round robbin....about the ring....after all the year may changes...but dont school rings never change?

Wow, this is really great work!

I know Carmichael robbed a bank on NJ now I'm going down that rabbit hole to see if I can, find a connection. Darlene disappeared in 1967. No trace just poof. She was married. Possibly her parents arranged it they used to do that back then. Especially if the girl was rebellious.. So here I go.... Send help if I'm not back in a few hours I may be lost in vintage digital data

Ut oh... here I go after you into the rabbit hole.

Reaching waaaaaaaaaaaay back in my memory, yes, Carmichael did rob a bank near where this UID was living not very long before they both showed up in CT. I wrote out a whole timeline a long time ago that should be floating around on the thread someplace. I also had traced one of the phone numbers to a publisher and wondered why she would be calling -- maybe looking for a job? Maybe a family member who worked there?

I've been tracking this case for so long that it's not infrequent for me to feel like I've make exciting new discoveries only to find out that they are discoveries I clearly knew about eight years ago. I had totally discounted Darlene because of the strong suspicion about the serial killer and the timing, but the info about her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo (which I don't remember ever seeing before), has brought me around. Now that we have some people to search, I'm going to take a closer look at the publisher's number and whether someone in Darlene's family might have had a connection there.

Ut oh... here I go after you into the rabbit hole.

Reaching waaaaaaaaaaaay back in my memory, yes, Carmichael did rob a bank near where this UID was living not very long before they both showed up in CT. I wrote out a whole timeline a long time ago that should be floating around on the thread someplace. I also had traced one of the phone numbers to a publisher and wondered why she would be calling -- maybe looking for a job? Maybe a family member who worked there?

I've been tracking this case for so long that it's not infrequent for me to feel like I've make exciting new discoveries only to find out that they are discoveries I clearly knew about eight years ago. I had totally discounted Darlene because of the strong suspicion about the serial killer and the timing, but the info about her grandmother's initials and the ring in the photo (which I don't remember ever seeing before), has brought me around. Now that we have some people to search, I'm going to take a closer look at the publisher's number and whether someone in Darlene's family might have had a connection there.

Always good to see you posting your thoughts @Skigirl! And, I feel the same... it is the ring/initials that gave me new hope.

I can't remember a NJ robbery but there were so many robberies I've likely forgotten.

I wondered about trying to find a connection with some of the robbery crew members and "The Hangar Restaurant" or "Tommy's Diner".

Finally, I recently realized one of the addresses Carmichael gave police (after an arrest in another state) was actually the address of a bowling alley. Bowlers and bowling alleys seem to keep resurfacing in the case. I wonder if Darlene and or family frequented these places as well. Another rabbit hole, I suppose.

Darlene Polizzi – The Charley Project

Darlene Polizzi Has Been Missing 50 Years Can You Help? | www.youcansolvethiscoldcase.com

She does resemble the sketch. Also interesting, she has a ring hanging from a necklace. Looks like there’s a cross also hanging with it. I can’t tell if it might be this ring...

View attachment 269908

Hi - Not sure if this has been referenced before. I saw this post of female skeletal remains, found in Garfield in 1989. Location of the remains only 1.2 miles from the Polizzi house, and in the immediate vicinity of Richard Cottingham's home and sphere of activity.

NamUs #UP16842 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
What about Janis Louise Taylor, who disappeared from NH at age 15?

2884677990045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
Original

Janis Louise Taylor – The Charley Project

What about Janis Louise Taylor, who disappeared from NH at age 15?

2884677990045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
Original

Janis Louise Taylor – The Charley Project
Anything is possible at this point - good find. She looks so young and naive in the photos, especially the ones in her school uniform.

I have a newspapers.com account and I thought that for sure there would be something more about her if only I looked under the right key words, but I found nothing at all. Poor thing. No matter who she is, I hope they find her.

Anything is possible at this point - good find. She looks so young and naive in the photos, especially the ones in her school uniform.

I have a newspapers.com account and I thought that for sure there would be something more about her if only I looked under the right key words, but I found nothing at all. Poor thing. No matter who she is, I hope they find her.

i have an account too (my husband got me one for my birthday and i have never felt more seen in my life lol)... i also went there immediately to see what i could find on her, if there were any local theories, etc and came up empty.

the hair color is wrong, but she could have dyed it. idk... is it worth submitting? i feel like Janis is a stretch, but after 50 years, everything will likely feel like a stretch.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back