Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF UPDATE - Post From CCSO FB

“CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
November 10, 2020

Today marks the 6-month anniversary of the Suzanne Morphew missing person case.

Suzanne Morphew, a loving mother, devoted friend and wife, was last seen by her husband, Barry Morphew, on May 10, 2020. Since that time, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has worked closely and tirelessly with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the 11th Judicial District in an intensive investigation to find Suzanne Morphew.

In that time, there have been numerous searches, countless investigative interviews, and hundreds of tips reported in this case.

“We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.”

While specific case information is not available, Sheriff Spezze assures residents the case remains a priority. “To preserve the integrity of this investigation, we cannot reveal all we have learned nor all that we are doing, but we understand your frustration in wanting this case resolved quickly. That said, with each day that passes, we learn new information in this case.”

Although the winter months are approaching, the task force assembled to investigate Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance continues to move forward and will conduct additional searches and other casework.

In one aspect of the case, the task force continues to focus on Suzanne Morphew’s social media presence as part of the investigation. Investigators say Suzanne kept in touch with friends she loved dearly. They also believe that sometimes in these types of cases that people don’t come forward with information for concern that they may get someone in trouble. To those who may be fearful to come forward, they can reach out anonymously. Once investigators know your concerns, they can address them.

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”

Suzanne Morphew Tip line: 719-312-7530.

Thank You,
John A. Spezze
Chaffee County Sheriff
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
A lot to digest. Looking forward to discussion of new press release!

I never knew the virtual wedding was on Sunday, Mother's Day. imo
Initially, AM cited that SM was planning on traveling to attend the wedding so it came as a surprise to most that the wedding was held on May 10. AM later confirmed plans changed due to COVID. Reportedly, the event was very small with vows and reception held at the home of the bride.

Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
November 10, 2020

Suzanne Morphew, a loving mother, devoted friend and wife, was last seen by her husband, Barry Morphew, on May 10, 2020. Since that time, the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has worked closely and tirelessly with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the 11th Judicial District in an intensive investigation to find Suzanne Morphew.

In that time, there have been numerous searches, countless investigative interviews, and hundreds of tips reported in this case.

“We thank you, our community, for your assistance, concern and patience,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “Suzanne is missing. We in law enforcement hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The worst-case scenario is that something unlawful occurred, and as such we go about our investigation ensuring we are working within the rules of law and treating everything we learn as potential evidence for court.”

While specific case information is not available, Sheriff Spezze assures residents the case remains a priority. “To preserve the integrity of this investigation, we cannot reveal all we have learned nor all that we are doing, but we understand your frustration in wanting this case resolved quickly. That said, with each day that passes, we learn new information in this case.”

Although the winter months are approaching, the task force assembled to investigate Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance continues to move forward and will conduct additional searches and other casework.

In one aspect of the case, the task force continues to focus on Suzanne Morphew’s social media presence as part of the investigation. Investigators say Suzanne kept in touch with friends she loved dearly. They also believe that sometimes in these types of cases that people don’t come forward with information for concern that they may get someone in trouble. To those who may be fearful to come forward, they can reach out anonymously. Once investigators know your concerns, they can address them.

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”

Thank You,
John A. Spezze
Chaffee County Sheriff

BBM:

Awesome update by Sheriff Spezze!

For those who've been fretting, this case is obviously far from going cold, as evidenced by key phrases such as, "continues to move forward," "will conduct additional searches," "remains a priority," "continues to focus," etc.

Translation: We're still working this case. Tenaciously.

Also, the last bit about reaching out to people who interacted with Suzanne on SM is a new twist.

It sounds like she was active on numerous SM platforms.

It also sounds like LE suspects some people may know more than they're sharing.

Interesting.

JMO.

Last edited:

Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
November 10, 2020

Thank You,
John A. Spezze
Chaffee County Sheriff

Well that sure is interesting. Very carefully worded too.

^^bbm

I'm reading this as SM confided in friends she loved dearly, and CCSO seeking as much circumstantial evidence as is out there to strengthen the case they've built thus far. MOO

ETA: Moorman also said he believes police are trying to “fill their envelope before they seal it.”

‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property | FOX31 Denver

Last edited:
This is far more detailed info from Spezze than any previous press releases in MOO.
It is and that very encouraging. It feels like a final last push before a January 1st arrest.

He is specifically targeting her online friends. Also assuring people that he will work with them if they are afraid that they might get others in trouble. IE, he wants Suzanne's killer and maybe not so much interested in other illegal activity at this juncture.

I also wonder if he is speaking to members in the DV group, who are afraid that their spouses will find out they had reached out for help. Moo

Initially, AM cited that SM was planning on traveling to attend the wedding so it came as a surprise to most that the wedding was held on May 10. AM later confirmed plans changed due to COVID. Reportedly, the event was very small with vows and reception held at the home of the bride.

Thank you for clarifying this.

In this case, is it safe to assume SM was not a “no show” for the virtual wedding? Plans changed again due to Covid and it was a more private event. That’s how I’m reading this. IMO

eta: spacing / spelling correction

Last edited:
Lauren Scharf FB Update on SM Search - 6 month Anniversary of Disappearance

6 MONTHS since Suzanne Morphew was reported as a #MissingPerson Here’s a new sign off Hwy 50 in Salida, CO. #FindSuzanne #Justice4Suzanne #BringSuzanneHome

: Jennifer Belmonte

Anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip: 719-312-7530.

Edit by me
Suzanne Morphew Tip Line

Suzanne Morphew, a loving mother, devoted friend and wife, was last seen by her husband, Barry Morphew, on May 10, 2020.

I'm not reading any Saturday citing at a sandwich shop, or a request by the sheriff seeking to corroborate if you saw SM & BM out and about together on Saturday (giving legs to BM's story of spending time with his wife after leaving the riverside property).

Nope, investigators know BM was last to see SM alive-- they know when and what time.

MOO

I scrolled through the last few pages. Where did the info about a missing elk come from? Anyone have a link?
It was discussed in one of the PE videos, although I'm not sure which one. Maybe someone else remembers.

Anyway, according to AM, it was an elk "rack" that was described as leaning up against the house when LE went there.

So I guess the question is, where is the rest of the elk? Apparently BM found it, so we don't know what happened to the body, or meat, that came from the elk. If it was road kill, the meat would only be fresh for a certain amount of time.

Thank you for clarifying this.

In this case, is it safe to assume SM did not “ no show” for the virtual wedding? Plans changed again due to Covid and it was a more private event. That’s how I’m reading this. IMO
Yes, more informal and uploaded on youtube by the bride & groom. IMO, there is no evidence that SM saw or participated in the event virtually on May 10.

A lot to digest. Looking forward to discussion of new press release!
They state that Suzanne was last seen by her husband on May 10th. Does that mean that they confirmed his story that she was in bed when he left? Or that she was alive on Sunday morning?

At least now it's confirmed that she wasn't seen on a bike ride that day.

Such careful wording in the press release.

Last seen on May 10th by BM.

Let me guess. Between midnight and 4 am. Sleeping. In the most metaphysical of senses.

That's a problem.

I'm calling it. Felony Friday before Felony February.

It's coming.

JMO

It is and that very encouraging. It feels like a final last push before a January 1st arrest.

He is specifically targeting her online friends. Also assuring people that he will work with them if they are afraid that they might get others in trouble. IE, he wants Suzanne's killer and maybe not so much interested in other illegal activity at this juncture.

I also wonder if he is speaking to members in the DV group, who are afraid that their spouses will find out they had reached out for help. Moo

Was SM a member of an online DV support group? I don't remember reading that, but know I have missed plenty. In what context? Where was this learned? MOO

"Suzanne planned to attend a virtual wedding on Sunday. Suzanne planned to have her maintenance cancer treatment on Monday."

MOO taking a bike ride the morning of a friends son's wedding is unlikely.
She would be staying on tap for her friend and keeping up with the excited texts by her friends and guests gathering as the event unfolds.
BAM!!!!!!!

It was discussed in one of the PE videos, although I'm not sure which one. Maybe someone else remembers.

Anyway, according to AM, it was an elk "rack" that was described as leaning up against the house when LE went there.

So I guess the question is, where is the rest of the elk? Apparently BM found it, so we don't know what happened to the body, or meat, that came from the elk. If it was road kill, the meat would only be fresh for a certain amount of time.
I recall that during the same PE session, Mike King, an avid, experienced hunter, put to rest for me that this was not likely a
"fresh" kill. (i.e., Antler shedding, the velvet dries (actually skin) and looks gruesome). MOO

Last edited:
I’m going to go in a different direction with the latest press release. I’m stuck here at the moment.
Subject to change as I continue to consider the latest from CCSO.

LE is appealing to her friends, who they are stressing SM was devoted to. What do these friends maybe know? Does someone know SM’s intentions and perhaps where she was heading or who she was communicating with on social media? I know, I know, wild thinking perhaps but... it’s possible LE is thinking info was withheld, maybe to protect SM and friend(s) might think they’re in trouble for not coming forward with that info. Worst case scenario something unlawful happened to Suzanne, according to LE. Just interesting choice of words. For me, at this moment, I think this press release puts BM off to the side... slightly for *me*. IMO

http://chaffeesheriff.org/2020/11/10/suzanne-morphew-case-remains-a-priority-to-the-chaffee-county-sheriffs-office

To push this conversation forward, though, I'd like to say the the "desperation" and the "crime of passion" motivations can co-exist.

Families in desperate situations go through cycles. The desperation may seem financial to one partner and emotional to another, or both may be terribly concerned about both. There's lying going on (financial difficulties known to one partner are not disclosed).

Domestic violence doesn't just happen out of nowhere. I've never heard of an abuser just randomly killing or savagely beating someone. There are patterns and cycles. They find an excuse. Their own inner turmoil is a huge part of it. They try to find band-aids (gym, affairs, all kinds of activities) and that usually makes things worse.

The abuse is something the whole family tries to suppress...but then...another cycle occurs, and that's when all bets are off. Rageful behavior in a family increases (by the abuser) when the abuser feels desperate (and it's not uncommon for the rest of the family to feel desperate and defeated as well).
This is a profound post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member