Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
President-elect Joe Biden will appoint a White House coronavirus response coordinator to lead the administration's pandemic strategy, incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain said Thursday night.

In his first interview since he was named chief of staff, Klain told MSNBC the coordinator would have "direct access" to Biden and would brief the president daily on the coronavirus crisis.

Top aide says Biden will name a White House COVID-19 coordinator

Here's the one I read just a couple of days ago -- 1 in 5 grocery workers may be positive.

1 in 5 Grocery Store Workers May Have COVID-19
We do curbside pickup for groceries.
Mask wearing has never been strong here and less so now.
No one says a thing when someone walks in without a mask.
People pull down masks to talk or huddle in big neighborly groups right at the entrance.
So - I avoid going inside a grocery store.

Super-spreading wedding party demonstrates COVID-19 risk posed by holiday gatherings

“If you want to know why public health officials are so nervous about how much worse the COVID-19 pandemic will get as the holiday season unfolds, consider what happened after a single, smallish wedding reception that took place this summer in rural Maine.

Only 55 people attended the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket. But one of those guests arrived with a coronavirus infection. Over the next 38 days, the virus spread to 176 other people. Seven of them died.

None of the victims who lost their lives had attended the party.”

“It’s something to keep in mind when you hear health officials urge members of the public to put their holiday traditions on hold this year. As you take in the details of the outbreak, imagine swapping “Thanksgiving dinner” or “Christmas party” for “wedding reception” and see whether it changes your thinking about your own holiday plans.”
-
Do you think 50% of the general public in the US will heed these warnings? Or continue on with their lives as they have been doing for the past several months?

Another recent wedding disaster:
Wedding on Oct. 17 in Long Island NY

COVID 'super-spreader' wedding that infected 34 costs country club its liquor license

https://nypost.com/2020/11/11/this-couples-wedding-turned-into-a-covid-19-superspreader-event/

113 guests gathered on Oct. 17 at the club in violation of New York's 50-person limit on non-essential events. Thirty-four people tested positive for COVID-19 after the event. More than 100 others were forced to quarantine.

According to a statement from Cuomo's office, the wedding resulted in nearly 160 people being exposed and local schools temporarily stopped in-person attendance.

BB1aStbw.img

"Hosting one of these events after all New York has been through is obnoxious and irresponsible -- not to mention illegal," Cuomo said in a statement.

On Monday, the governor announced North Fork County Club's liquor license has been suspended in addition to a $17,000 fine levied against the Cutchogue club by Bellone for allegedly violating Cuomo's executive order that limits nonessential gatherings to 50 attendees.

"By now, every licensee should be well aware of the protocols in place to stop the spread and should know that an event like this is unacceptable," Bradley said. "We are still in the midst of a public health crisis, and the SLA will continue to hold those who ignore these lifesaving rules accountable."

selfish
[ˈselfiSH]
ADJECTIVE

1. (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
    "I joined them for selfish reasons"
    synonyms:

egocentric · egotistic · egotistical · egomaniacal · self-centered · self-regarding · self-absorbed · self-obsessed · self-seeking · self-serving · wrapped up in oneself · inward-looking · introverted · self-loving ·

Last edited:
Another recent wedding disaster:
Wedding on Oct. 17 in Long Island NY

COVID 'super-spreader' wedding that infected 34 costs country club its liquor license

https://nypost.com/2020/11/11/this-couples-wedding-turned-into-a-covid-19-superspreader-event/

113 guests gathered on Oct. 17 at the club in violation of New York's 50-person limit on non-essential events. Thirty-four people tested positive for COVID-19 after the event. More than 100 others were forced to quarantine.

According to a statement from Cuomo's office, the wedding resulted in nearly 160 people being exposed and local schools temporarily stopped in-person attendance.

BB1aStbw.img

"Hosting one of these events after all New York has been through is obnoxious and irresponsible -- not to mention illegal," Cuomo said in a statement.

On Monday, the governor announced North Fork County Club's liquor license has been suspended in addition to a $17,000 fine levied against the Cutchogue club by Bellone for allegedly violating Cuomo's executive order that limits nonessential gatherings to 50 attendees.

"By now, every licensee should be well aware of the protocols in place to stop the spread and should know that an event like this is unacceptable," Bradley said. "We are still in the midst of a public health crisis, and the SLA will continue to hold those who ignore these lifesaving rules accountable."
There should be an equal fine for the couple or whoever’s name is on the contract with the country club/event center/etc.

There should be an equal fine for the couple or whoever’s name is on the contract with the country club/event center/etc.
Yes. I think this would work to make people think twice. This is a smart idea!

Hold those who pay for the venue responsible, not just the venue itself. Good idea! Hold both accountable.

Hit them where they pay attention... The Wallet...

102110767-97660088.jpg

your wallet

Last edited:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article247096582.html

“The story is this: On the night of Saturday, Sept. 26, at the peak of OMB’s annual three-day Mecktoberfest event, many of the people in the large crowd that had gathered in the beer garden off of Yancey Road behaved as if they’d never heard of social distancing or face coverings — basically, as if the pandemic didn’t exist.

In the aftermath, the city’s oldest brewery was blitzed by the local media and scrutinized by Mecklenburg County health officials (which eventually linked five COVID-19 cases to the festival), and critics on social media lambasted OMB for its poor judgment, with some even calling for a boycott.”

“The other part of the problem — the damning one, for OMB — was the fact that Marrino’s staff did nothing to remind them.

Instead, “We kind of said, ‘Oh my goodness. Let this evening be over.’”

For whatever reason, on that Saturday night, it just didn’t occur to Marrino or his staff how grave the repercussions could be, either from a PR standpoint or from a public health standpoint.”
———
It just didn’t occur to you?
1,000 crowded together drinking, partying, laughing, with no masks?

Last edited:
They said in the beginning roughly 80% of us will get covid. So....

Only 251,500,173 more to go ... in how short of a period of time? Will the hospitals be able to withstand it? Scary stuff.

Mind you, there are probably a bucketload of asymptomatic people who never get tested.

As Dr Fauci said ... unless you do widespread community testing, at this point in time, you don't really know exactly how deeply the virus has penetrated. It is the unwell people who are getting tested, and sometimes those who feel they have been exposed and care to find out.

Last edited:
Only 251,500,173 more to go ... in how short of a period of time? Will the hospitals be able to withstand it? Scary stuff.

No, the hospitals won't be able to withstand it and doctors will have to play God and decide who gets to live and who has to die. That is the stark reality of the situation.

We have gone into lockdown #2 in the UK in order to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, as our numbers and projections are proportionally similar to America.

Will it work? I don't know. But we simply HAVE to try.

In the imminent future, patients will start to die because there simply aren’t enough people to care for them. Doctors and nurses will burn out. The most precious resource the U.S. health-care system has in the struggle against COVID-19 isn’t some miracle drug. It’s the expertise of its health-care workers—and they are exhausted.
‘No One Is Listening to Us’
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/third-surge-breaking-healthcare-workers/617091/

*Editor’s Note: The Atlantic is making vital coverage of the coronavirus available to all readers. Find the collection here.

We do curbside pickup for groceries.
Mask wearing has never been strong here and less so now.
No one says a thing when someone walks in without a mask.
People pull down masks to talk or huddle in big neighborly groups right at the entrance.
So - I avoid going inside a grocery store.
Yikes - what state do you live in?
I think the new administration should have named a COVID-19 czar - now that would get the job done.

That's a grim sight. A bit like when ice rinks were used as morgues. I wonder if the Nightingale hospitals that we started during the first wave will get used this time around. There were 7 temporary units set up around the country (mainly in existing conference centres) with 30,000 beds for Covid patients. Fortunately, only 150 beds were needed so they have been repurposed for other medical treatments since. I assume they are all on standby again for this second wave. I really hope we don't need them.

BBM:
OMG this is insane.
USA: 177,772 new cases and climbing, as of 4 pm Pacific time. I will never be able to understand why so many selfish people still refuse to wear masks. This massive national emergency should be treated like one.

United States Coronavirus: 11,058,308 Cases and 249,945 Deaths - Worldometer

WHAT.

Wow...

Again, welcome to the world of exponential spread.

—-

Eta: @gngr~snap , I had marked on my mental calendar for Nov. 12 to check on your daughter’s little babies. Hope the appointment went well yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member