Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the California advisory.
alert...rant.

My brother lives in Hawaii, Big Island. He lives in a bubble and is mostly outside. Though he's not calling Covid 19 a hoax or anything, he just doesn't get it.

He and his wife are arriving here next week, and going to travel from SD to SF area, visiting his wife's relatives, friends for Thanksgiving etc.
And he wants to come over to my place too. He suggested we all go to the local Red Onion for a meal.
No way....I told him he can come over, but they are wearing a mask, and we eat outside, no hugs, no touching, and staying 6 ft apart....outside in the back only. We are both over 65. He complained....with his usual "chill out"

I've been quarantining and super cautious since March, and I'll be damned if I'm going to risk things.
He said he's negative (took a test yesterday..the rapid kind), so he's safe...but doesn't consider two airports ( especially busy LAX) and the 5 hour flight, and the traveling up and down the coast staying in motels etc.
A couple of weeks ago, he said, yeah we are being careful...there are now, yikes, TEN cases on Big Island. 10. (Actually it's more like 1400 total....90 some in Kona where he lives)
We have over a million now in CA.....I sent him the link of latest advisory, but he's ignoring it.

Meanwhile my daughter who is a front line nurse on the east coast, cancelled her trip here for December today. I haven't seen her for over a year.

How do you deal with family members who don't get it? And I don't want them to get sick either. How can we control this thing if people just won't take this seriously, and many who won't even comply?

I have no idea how to deal with this kind of situation and have no understanding of this relaxed attitude toward a killer virus. "Chill out," no thanks! I hope you can stick to your guns and get to have a safe outdoors visit without risking your health.

Our family is small, and our son and his family are in a different state. DH and I are in our 70s, and our son would never put us at risk. We haven't seen them since last Christmas and won't be seeing them this year. Hoping for next year, after we are able to be vaccinated.

I agree that the exemptions can cause spread. What I gleaned from the scientists at the news conference, when they were asked about the exemptions, is that they have shut down activities that have proved to be most likely to cause spread and let the ones least likely stay open. I was glad to see the governor saying she was “ordering” us to comply with the small gathering measure. Unfortunately, that will just dare her enemies to refuse to comply. Of course they were already refusing. Checking local FB comments on the latest news, it’s the same ones who won’t let their freedom be limited as always. If using law enforcement to issue citations causes others to comply, that’s progress. I don’t think the 14 day quarantine for people coming into Oregon from out of state is going to be observed or can be enforced. I really wish more could be done, but I’m not sure what it is, practically speaking, with much of the citizenry in opposition. It’s distressing.

Distressing is an understatement, IMO!

Distressing is an understatement, IMO!

Ha! I know, but I’m running out of adjectives! :D I’ve used horrifying and terrifying. Maybe disgusting, frightening, appalling, alarming and outrageous will work? (Checking thesaurus) All I know is that my husband and I are locking ourselves down even tighter, if that’s possible, to ward off the covidiots. :mad:

From the link above:

Significantly, patients didn't make autoantibodies in response to the virus. Instead, they appeared to have had them before the pandemic even began, said Paul *advertiser censored*, the antibody study's lead author, who is also a researcher at Rockefeller University.

For reasons that researchers don't understand, the autoantibodies never caused a problem until patients were infected with Covid-19, *advertiser censored* said. Somehow, the coronavirus, or the immune response it triggered, appears to have set them in motion.

"Before Covid, their condition was silent," *advertiser censored* said. "Most of them hadn't gotten sick before."

-------------
So it seems Covid begets autoimmune disease in people with autoantibodies in their system.

After this pandemic sweeps through the world, there may be shortage of MDs and nurses to take care of all new patients with autoimmune disorders, heart, lung, kidney, brain disorders.. I think our nightmares have just begun.

COVID-19 outside of Utah: Pacific states issue travel advisories, pandemic spreads across globe

“Where COVID-19 is spreading in the U.S.

The Upper Midwest continues to house the most COVID-19 cases per capita, per Centers for Disease Control data, but the states surrounding the region aren't far behind.

North Dakota, with 169.2 cases per 100,000 people, leads the nation in per capita cases over the past week, the agency reports through early Friday afternoon. It's followed by South Dakota (154.9), Iowa (135.2), Wyoming (125.4) and Wisconsin (113). Nebraska, at 107.7 cases per 100,000 over the last seven days, was the only other state the CDC listed in its highest case count map.

But 11 states in the remaining Midwest and Intermountain West, including Utah, are listed in the second-highest case amount tier. In fact, Utah was listed as ninth overall with 87.4 cases per 100,000. Alaska, Georgia and Rhode Island are among the U.S. states not near the region in the second tier.

Utah isn't alone in reporting record new COVID-19 cases this week. In fact, Colorado, on Friday, reported a record 6,439 cases, according to 9News in Denver. Much like Utah, the state's rise in new cases began in September. The positivity rate — positive cases divided by the number of people tested — is now at 12%, which is the highest it's been there since May.“

[...]

“It also reported hot spots all across the country where new COVID-19 cases are rising. Some of the glaring spots were Chicago, Los Angeles and Denver but also Utah's Wasatch Front. Areas along the northeastern seaboard and southern Florida also showed recent growth.”

Last edited:
Colorado:

COVID In Colorado: Gov. Jared Polis Warns Thanksgiving Quarantine Should Start Today, Or You'll Be 'Playing Russian Roulette'

“Polis laid out the current number of people infected — about 1 in 110 Coloradans contagious with coronavirus statewide, with more troubling numbers in some areas (1 in 58 in Adams County, 1 in 64 in Denver) — and then stated that “if you have a Thanksgiving group of 10 folks … coming in, that means you have about a 1 in 11 chance of somebody being contagious with COVID in that group.”“

Colorado COVID statistics | 9news.com

Colorado has no capacity limits for grocery stores, prompting chains to create their own policies

Colorado Ski Resorts Were Poised To Open For Winter. A Record Spike In Coronavirus Cases Is Testing Their Plans

Polis to issue executive order outlining steps for COVID-19 hospital surge capacity
More than 6,000 cases reported in Colorado Friday — an all-time high

“The hospitals will have to have a plan to increase their bed capacities by 50% — something Polis said many hospitals had already been working on — how they can transition medical and surgical beds into ICU beds; how to treat patients without COVID-19 who need ICU beds; submit plans for how to surge staffing; report the maximum number of non-ICU and ICU beds to the state on a rolling basis; and have a plan on how they will manage, reduce, delay or put a moratorium on elective surgeries, Polis said.

Polis said he had also ordered the state Emergency Operations Center back to Level 1 status – the highest response level – to coordinate the state’s coronavirus response with local and federal agencies.“

[...]

““These are our darkest days as a state,” Polis said of the latest numbers.”

[...]

“Polis said that the executive order would streamline communication and data exchanges between hospitals, health care providers and the state should hospitalizations continue to increase. He said the order would contain an “order of operations” that health care providers can follow to determine when next steps would need to be taken. He said he had already activated medical work force staffing contracts to help with the staffing surge.“

(much more at link for reference re: hospital surge capacity)

Last edited:
Elon Musk took 4 COVID-19 tests in one day, but half were positive and half were negative

HAWTHORNE, Calif. -- SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said on social media last night that he took four COVID-19 tests in one day, two of which were positive and two of which were negative. It's not yet clear if Musk has the virus, but the news immediately drummed up concern about whether a diagnosis will impact SpaceX's plans to launch astronauts on a mission to the International Space Station this weekend.

Musk issued a brief series of tweets overnight, stating that he had "mild sniffles," a "cough" and "slight fever" for the past few days. He added that he is expecting to get the results of a PCR test - which are known to be more accurate than the type of rapid test Musk said he took- within 24 hours.

Italy, where the population did so well in complying with the lockdown in the first awful wave there is now overwhelmed again. Treating people in their cars...

"The situation in Campania is out of control," Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio told La Stampa newspaper on Friday. "We need urgent restrictions... people are dying."
Italian media has broadcast shocking scenes from hospitals in Naples.

Staff at one hospital have brought oxygen tanks and other equipment outside to treat people parked in their cars because the emergency department was swamped with cases."

Other countries in Europe.....cases rising exponentially.

I have a good friend in the UK...it was her birthday last week...she had planned a small socially distanced gathering in her back yard. With new rules, she was not allowed to have a single person. She has no family.

Coronavirus: Italy extends 'red zones' as infections soar

Italy, where the population did so well in complying with the lockdown in the first awful wave there is now overwhelmed again. Treating people in their cars...

"The situation in Campania is out of control," Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio told La Stampa newspaper on Friday. "We need urgent restrictions... people are dying."
Italian media has broadcast shocking scenes from hospitals in Naples.

Staff at one hospital have brought oxygen tanks and other equipment outside to treat people parked in their cars because the emergency department was swamped with cases."

Other countries in Europe.....cases rising exponentially.

I have a good friend in the UK...it was her birthday last week...she had planned a small socially distanced gathering in her back yard. With new rules, she was not allowed to have a single person. She has no family.

Coronavirus: Italy extends 'red zones' as infections soar

Yes, there was a short feature about Italy in the video I posted here. It was very distressing and had a warning graphic.

Last edited:
a very interesting article on venues and being safer in public spaces:

COVID-19: Cell phone data reveals ‘superspreader’ venues
Written by James Kingsland

I think the science behind this must be why Oregon’s governor is closing these selected businesses (except hotels), as I posted earlier.

From the link:
The model suggests that reopening gyms, full-service restaurants, cafes, hotels, and religious venues leads to the largest surge in infections, due to the high densities of people and their long lengths of stay.

A relatively small number of these “superspreader” venues account for the majority of new infections, according to the model.

COVID-19: Cellphone data reveals ‘superspreader’ venues

<RSBM>
I really wish more could be done, but I’m not sure what it is, practically speaking, with much of the citizenry in opposition. It’s distressing.

Laws (to force the police to enforce)
Federal financial assistance for the citizenry (so places can close for a while)
And a nationwide travel ban (under emergency health orders)

The airlines are making good money while they are transporting the virus all over the place.
I keep getting emails from a few US airlines (because I have travelled there so much) ... book your flights now for Thanksgiving, great deals for Christmas travel, get triple flight credits if you book by this date ... umm, no thanks.

They say it will cripple the airline business. Our airlines are all flying again, bruised but uncrippled. They weren't allowed to fly for a lonnnggggg time.

I feel your distress. We are so distressed for you all. Let's hope that the president elect's hands are not tied behind his back and he can do what is needed.

Whoever thought that people would be WORSE at controlling the pandemic than they were in 1918.

IMO

Last edited:
Fri, November 13, 2020, 6:08 PM EST

Parents Tried to Cover Up a ‘Superspreader’ Dance. Disaster Ensued.
01b5d3cc7948c295fd73e3223d09f7dd

stupid
[ˈst(y)o͞opəd]
ADJECTIVE
  1. having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
    "I was stupid enough to think I could sponsor a dance in a pandemic."
    synonyms:
    :eek: unintelligent · ignorant · dense · brainless · mindless ·
    fool · nincompoop · dunce · dullard · ignoramus · idiot · :rolleyes:
(I think this sums it up well ... not more virus now, more stupidness)

Last edited:
Laws (to force the police to enforce)
Federal financial assistance for the citizenry (so places can close for a while)
And a nationwide travel ban (under emergency health orders)

Great ideas! Here’s what I know...I’ll put my thoughts in [ ] The rest is from her press conference.

[Breaking a governor’s emergency order is a class C misdemeanor in Oregon. (Up to $1250 fine or up to 3o days in jail or both). Brown said she’s directing Oregon Police Commissioner to work local law enforcement on potentially ticketing, or even arresting, people for breaking the rules. We shall see. As you mention, there may need to be laws to force the police to enforce the emergency orders. Some local LE are not inclined to enforce them.]

[Regarding financial assistance for businesses, Governor Brown said:]

I just want to add one more thing. Congressman Earl Blumenauer has been fighting in Congress for the last several months for Congress to pass a financial aid package specifically for our restaurants. I applaud him for those efforts. And in my letter to Congress this morning to our congressional leadership, I added that our businesses across the state need additional financial assistance, including an extension and addition to the PPP program. As well as specific financial assistance to our restaurants.

[She has also been trying to light a fire under Congress to extend the $600/week unemployment benefit that ran out this summer.]

[Regarding a nationwide travel ban, it won’t happen until Biden is in office, if then. Maybe Australia has some ideas for enforcing it. Did I hear they are talking to Biden? I think of all the secondary roads and highways leading from state to state and it boggles my mind how to stop people. I guess having checkpoints on the interstates as we do going into California to check for fruit would work. The smaller roads would leak though. But it’s better than nothing. And then there are the airports!]

[Governor Brown and the Governors of California and Washington have issued a travel advisory:]
She said:
This is in addition to the travel advisory I issued this morning alongside California Governor Gavin Newsom and Washington Governor Jay Inslee. We recommend that those who have traveled out of state self-quarantine for 14 days upon return.

[Governor Brown was asked by a reporter:]
Then finally on the travel advisory, why not make that mandatory? Why not require people flying into Portland, for example, to have positive tests or else required quarantine?

Kate Brown:
In terms of why not make the travel advisory mandatory that may be something that we are forced to do if cases continue to rise. At this point in time we’re working with our partners on the West coast, governor Jay Inslee of Washington and governor of California, Gavin Newsome to do this in such a way that the entire region is using the same metrics. So that’s the reason for that.

Oregon Governor Kate Brown COVID-19 Press Conference Transcript November 13: Announces "Two-Week Freeze" - Rev

I feel your distress. We are so distressed for you all. Let's hope that the president elect's hands are not tied behind his back and he can do what is needed.

Whoever thought that people would be WORSE at controlling the pandemic than they were in 1918.

Thanks for your empathy and caring. Those of us who are paying attention to what is happening here can’t believe it! How can it be worse than 1918?! But it is. I think Biden is putting together a phenomenal Covid team and his chief of staff Ron Klain handled the Ebola outbreak under Obama, so lots of experience there. Whether Biden can make deals with his old colleagues in the Senate to get needed $$$ help passed remains to be seen, but he has a lot of experience so we’ll see.

Almost Every U.S. State Is Now Officially a Coronavirus Hot Spot

This is what an utter pandemic catastrophe looks like.

NOVEMBER 13, 2020, 4:18 PM
us-coronavirus-numbers-deaths-cases-positivity-rate-crop.png

The American COVID-19 crisis has reached catastrophic levels. With the White House fixated on election challenges and strange, ominous shake-ups in the Defense Department and national security agencies, the virus is out of control across the country—with 49 states simultaneously classified as hot spots.

The spring and summer surges were geographically localized, first in the Northeast and Pacific coast, then in the South and Southwest. With peaks confined geographically, it was possible for an overwhelmed hospital director or governor to reach out to counterparts in less-affected states for help, obtaining doctors, nurses, EMT personnel, laboratory support, equipment, coroners, even morticians.

But this time, as the holidays and winter approach, almost every state is simultaneously struck, hospitals are breaking records every day for caseloads, and death counts are rising.

New U.S. Cases Per Day in November
Date New cases per day

SOURCE: THE COVID TRACKING PROJECT
https://covidtracking.com

Nov. 1 (74,051)
Nov. 2 (82,248)
Nov. 3 (86,081)
Nov. 4 (103,067)
Nov. 5 (116,153)
Nov. 6 (125,252)
Nov. 7 (128,396)
Nov. 8 (110,270)
Nov. 9 (118,708)
Nov. 10 (130,989)
Nov. 11 (144,270)
Nov. 12 (150,526)

Last edited:
OREGON REPORT FOR FRIDAY—TWO WEEK STATEWIDE FREEZE ANNOUNCED

Oregon reports 1,076 new confirmed and presumptive COVID-19 cases, seven new deaths
COVID-19 has claimed seven more lives in Oregon, raising the state’s death toll to 753, the Oregon Health Authority reported at 12:01 a.m. today.

OHA also reported 1,076 new confirmed and presumptive cases of COVID-19 as of 12:01 a.m. today bringing the state total to 54,937.

[Personal note: Where I live in Jackson county in Southern Oregon, we had 91 new cases and 2 deaths today. As I mentioned yesterday, our county’s cases are increasing more rapidly than any counties other than the urban counties near Portland in the north. We were one of 9 counties placed on a 14 day freeze Wednesday, to end the day before Thanksgiving. Thankfully, the new 2 week freeze announced today for the entire state will run at least through Dec. 2.]

Governor’s News Conference announcing 2 week freeze:

As Oregon sees a second consecutive day with more than 1,000 new COVID-19 cases, Governor Kate Brown today announced a statewide “two-week freeze.” These new measures are meant to limit group activities and stop the rapid spread of COVID-19 across the state.

While Brown’s new directive includes a lighter touch for some businesses than the last shutdown, the governor also promised Friday to take a hard line with individuals who ignore restrictions on social gatherings — a key reason for exponential case growth the state has seen.

Brown said she’s directing Oregon State Police to work local law enforcement on potentially ticketing, or even arresting, people for breaking the rules.

“In terms of individuals, I am not asking you,” Brown said. “I am ordering you.”

Freeze, Oregon: Gov. Kate Brown restricts businesses again as COVID-19 cases surge

[Personal observation: Governor Brown totally gets the kind of sacrifice this entails for businesses and individuals. She does not do this lightly. In fact, she’s always a few days later than I think she should be in making these announcements because she studies the situation so carefully with her experts. She has never before said she’s “ordering” us to comply because she has always relied on citizens to unselfishly comply. Ha! Unfortunately they don’t. And here we are. :mad: She described how she and her husband would celebrate Thanksgiving under these measures...just their daughter and her partner and zooming the rest of the family.]

Dr. Dean Sidelinger stated it starkly at today’s news conference: “As the state’s health officer, I’m here today to deliver a simple message: COVID-19 is raging across Oregon. The virus is spreading fast, and it threatens to overwhelm hospitals across the state with severely ill patients, if we don’t act now. The two-week freeze Governor Brown just announced will put an urgently needed brake on COVID-19’s accelerating momentum and help us bring the virus back under control. These actions can work, if we follow them.”
<snip>
At the news conference, Dr. Esther Choo, an emergency medicine physician at Oregon Health & Science University, offered perspective on behalf of the health care provider community:

Health care workers care deeply about our patients and our community. It’s true that we’re learning more about how to treat the disease. But we have also seen first-hand that failing to stay home continues to cost the lives of Oregonians – our neighbors, our friends, our families. The nature of this disease means that people are isolated when they need company and love the most. It’s heartbreaking for me when I see my patients in the hospital isolated and alone.

<Dr Choo paused here to collect herself, close to tears as she continued>

You cheered and rang bells for us and put signs up calling us heroes. I’m asking you to be my hero. I’m asking you to listen to our call for help, again. :(

We have a chance right now to save hundreds or thousands of Oregon families from any more of these painful last goodbyes. Now is the time to double down on the only truly effective measures to stop this virus: Wear a mask, keep your physical distance, wash your hands … and for the next two weeks, please, stay home. Stay home and save my life and the lives of my family, neighbors, friends, and essential workers across the state.
  • Video from today’s news conference in English on YouTube (the news conference start was delayed due to technical difficulties; the conference begins around the 16:36 mark)
  • Video from today’s news conference in Spanish on OHA en Español (la conferencia empieza en 18:18 del video [minuto 18, segundo 18])
  • Transcript of Governor Brown’s remarks
  • News release about the new measures

View attachment 271737

Oregon, California and Washington issue travel advisories

In another measure to fight the rapid spread of COVID-19, Governor Kate Brown, California Governor Gavin Newsom, and Washington Governor Jay Inslee today issued travel advisories urging visitors entering their states or returning home from travel outside these states to self-quarantine. The travel advisories urge against non-essential out-of-state travel, ask people to self-quarantine for 14 days after arriving from another state or country, and encourage residents to stay local.
<snip>
In addition to urging individuals arriving from other states or countries to self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival, the states’ travel advisories recommend individuals limit their interactions to their immediate household. The advisories define essential travel as travel for work and study, critical infrastructure support, economic services and supply chains, health, immediate medical care, and safety and security.

Oregon Coronavirus Update

Coronavirus: Oregon and New Mexico impose restrictions

Oregon is headline news here this morning which is quite unusual. I'm glad you're staying safe Lillibet.

Students enjoy boozy night in Cardiff days after 'firebreak' finished — Daily Mail

“To mark their freedom, people flocked to bars and restaurants in Cardiff last night, braving the rain to mix and meet with friends after two weeks apart.

As part of their freedom, four-people groups from different households are now allowed to join up in cafes, pubs and restaurants.”
——-
Four people groups?

After two weeks apart? Geez, try 8 months apart from your family plus best friends, etc.
Arggghhh I despair!

The problem was, Wales "went early". I.e. they imposed the firebreak thing ahead of England (let me just say, I think not so much Wales was early, as England was late..). They wanted the government to support them financially, which became political. They also have their own rules, like the rule of four which I hadnt heard of before.

Anyway the result is they are not aligned now to England where we are in lockdown until 2nd December. It gives us an insight into the US situation, with states varying the approach.

The good news is, they cant travel outside of Wales yet unless it's essential travel though. Students are supposed to travel home between 3rd and 9th Dec providing they have a negative test (guideline only, let's hope they do the decent thing and not celebrate in the streets!). So hopefully it wont impact the lockdown effect in England.

One thing, from these photos I'm not convinced these are partying students. They may well be locals. Just the DM putting a spin re students possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater