Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time we see Alan on the gas station video the time stamp reads 5.48 exactly, then for some reason he disappears out of the video completely while standing outside his car. It doesn't show him walking away or entering his car he just vanishes at this point but why?

His family have said his car left the gas station at 6.00 so that's a full 12 minutes after last being seen on the video, so what was he doing for those 12 minutes? If nothing untoward happened at the gas station then why not just release footage of Alan getting back in his car and driving away? They released footage of him driving away from the LA Fitness car park so why not the gas station?

You can't help but feel that LE have a lot more information that they are keeping to themselves for now.
BBM

Good point! 12 minutes is a long time. What was going on for those 12 minutes that they’re obviously not showing for some reason?

This is so sad. Alan seems like such a nice person who is so loved by his friends and family. Who would disappear him like this? If it was random, could they really have hidden him this well on the fly? My best guess right now is that it was a random carjacking gone badly and so far the perp has just gotten lucky that he’s not identified yet and Alan hasn’t been found yet. I do wonder if the perp(s) were seen on the video in those missing 12 minutes.

Good points. As I mentioned, my speculation was based on the assumption that if AW's cards had been used (perhaps illicitly), and that if any demands had been made/received, LE and the family (at this stage anyway) would be very intentional in not divulging that info. All just my speculation though.
In the Samantha Koenig case, that was exactly what happened.
FBI Releases Details Of Samantha Koenig's Abduction & Murder

But I don't think we would see the White family acting outside of LE, if that were the case. I say acting outside of LE, because we have yet to hear a single word from DPD or any other LE agency. Which after almost four weeks, is odd to me. A flyer was released on 11/9, but the contact is a general email, not even an assigned detective's name?
Dallas Police issue missing poster for Alan White - Dallas Voice

What are we missing here?

The last time we see Alan on the gas station video the time stamp reads 5.48 exactly, then for some reason he disappears out of the video completely while standing outside his car. It doesn't show him walking away or entering his car he just vanishes at this point but why?

His family have said his car left the gas station at 6.00 so that's a full 12 minutes after last being seen on the video, so what was he doing for those 12 minutes? If nothing untoward happened at the gas station then why not just release footage of Alan getting back in his car and driving away? They released footage of him driving away from the LA Fitness car park so why not the gas station?

You can't help but feel that LE have a lot more information that they are keeping to themselves for now.

Moo maybe when the family says 6, it is because they don't want to say 5:48 and 32 seconds or whatever. They are generalizing for simplicity.

Based on my experience, sadly the time stamp of these cameras is not exactly the most accurate anyway and seems like it doesn’t really matter at this point if he left at 647 or 649. He left the gas station between x and y time span and hasn’t been seen since.

Does anyone know if the police have to approve the video? It was clearly documented that they obtained it on their own and released it on their own. Does LE have any say in the matter since the did nothing to help obtain it?

In the Samantha Koenig case, that was exactly what happened.
FBI Releases Details Of Samantha Koenig's Abduction & Murder

But I don't think we would see the White family acting outside of LE, if that were the case. I say acting outside of LE, because we have yet to hear a single word from DPD or any other LE agency. Which after almost four weeks, is odd to me. A flyer was released on 11/9, but the contact is a general email, not even an assigned detective's name?
Dallas Police issue missing poster for Alan White - Dallas Voice

What are we missing here?

You are absolutely correct, why are LE so quiet in this case? A couple of reasons I can think of are:

1. Alan is being held for ransom and LE have been told to keep it quiet, as little publicity as possible. I'm not sure where the family fits in with this though?

2. LE believe Alan is voluntarily missing and have no interest in the case.

You are absolutely correct, why are LE so quiet in this case? A couple of reasons I can think of are:

1. Alan is being held for ransom and LE have been told to keep it quiet, as little publicity as possible. I'm not sure where the family fits in with this though?

2. LE believe Alan is voluntarily missing and have no interest in the case.
Interestingly, I was just researching carjackings for ransom and came across a case with two still- wanted fugitives. (I can confirm one is still wanted, unsure on second) https://www.usmarshals.gov/district/tx-w/fugitives/pdf/owens.pdf
Case is from 2008. The most interesting part to me is that it originated in Austin but they drove the victims back to South Dallas and held the victims there while trying to get ransom.

Defendants Charged in Car Jacking Plead Guilty

Moo maybe when the family says 6, it is because they don't want to say 5:48 and 32 seconds or whatever. They are generalizing for simplicity.

Based on my experience, sadly the time stamp of these cameras is not exactly the most accurate anyway and seems like it doesn’t really matter at this point if he left at 647 or 649. He left the gas station between x and y time span and hasn’t been seen since.

Does anyone know if the police have to approve the video? It was clearly documented that they obtained it on their own and released it on their own. Does LE have any say in the matter since the did nothing to help obtain it?

I didn't know that LE had nothing to do with the released video, in fact they seem to have had hardly anything to do with this case at all.

On the subject of the video, who was it who edited it then? Alan is clearly standing by his car one minute then suddenly he vanishes completely. So was it someone in the family who edited it or was it someone who worked at the gas station who was responsible for the editing?

I didn't know that LE had nothing to do with the released video, in fact they seem to have had hardly anything to do with this case at all.

On the subject of the video, who was it who edited it then? Alan is clearly standing by his car one minute then suddenly he vanishes completely. So was it someone in the family who edited it or was it someone who worked at the gas station who was responsible for the editing?
I'm not sure there was any editing at all. The video we have seen is a cell phone recording of the security camera footage.

Within a few days, the family mentioned they had hired a PI. Just like Alan being reported missing so quickly, that is somewhat unusual.
The you-know-what fund was created 10/28, six days after Alan went missing. It also mentions a PI as an expense.

Is it possible LE learned something which leads them to believe Alan is not missing due to something criminal in nature, therefore they are not speaking publicly?

The family has a differing opinion, and are treating this as something happened to Alan outside of his control. His Mom said if Alan was hurt, give him back to us and we'll take care of him. Tim, Alan's brother says family feel they are getting close to finding him.

I hope I have it all wrong and DPD is onboard and handling this case.

You know, I’m honestly not sure we can judge DPD the way we do others in how they are handling this case. Taking a look thru their Facebook page and it seems there is one post only for most things. Hardly any press conferences, no regular updates on cases. This isn’t a small department with one big focus. This is a huge city, with a huge crime problem and an outgoing already resigned Chief. Maybe we have no idea if this is getting attention, no attention because of lack of resources or just the belief it’s voluntary. Dallas Police Department

In this case especially, I would think family needs to keep Alan’s name in the press and beg the press to investigate as well.

Not to mention the shadowy figure in the background of the video (behind AW and to his right, maybe 60-70 feet away?) who seems to walk into the field of view for an instant and then disappear in a flash. Very bizarre

I hate to bring it up, but did you all see that a body was found in the bed of a truck in South Dallas around the 10th? Unidentified? Haven’t seen any updates.

Alan’s disappearance is a mystery that continues to trouble me, but I will repeat my opinion based only on vibes from media/family: Law enforcement is heavily involved but staying completely behind the scenes for a reason. Family is likely coached on what can be released. I think this is toward a strategic end (gathering evidence, finding Alan and the culprit).

The remaining questions left lingering for me based on my theory is:
- why did it take so long to get media attention? Is this just a busy media market, taking time to get attention, or something else (like ransom or questionable circumstances; hoped porche would be driven and caught if perp not scared off???Thought they had leads without public help or whatnot)? It seems it was about four days to get media? And then maybe 24 hours after that hit mainstream tv to find car?
- why no searches that we know of?
- why is it so imperative that police stay invisible?
—- appeal to witnesses/ don’t scare off witnesses? Don’t scare off bad guys? Was/is our missing guy mixed up in something illegal and they don’t want to scare him away from coming back?

Ugh. Poor Alan and family.

@thelastunicorn, did the police tell you how long a time would have to pass before they would change your uncle’s status to missing and make it a (presumed) criminal case? Or does there have to be some evidence other than him just being gone. I’m glad you have the help of a PI. I know it must be so stressful and upsetting to read the things talked about on a forum like this but know that people here are truly motivated by concern for the victim and their family. I am praying for your uncle and his loving family.

re: where to search... sadly, without further evidence of when the car was left where it was I don’t think there are any limits to place on where Alan COULD be (in 2 days they could have driven cross country and back) so I think searches just have to be a haystack in a needle from the Racetrack out which probably explains why they haven’t been done as it would be a logistical nightmare needing owners’ permission for each piece of property, etc. I continue to wonder about some drone searches. Are there organizations that do that or companies you can hire?

I'm not sure there was any editing at all. The video we have seen is a cell phone recording of the security camera footage.

Within a few days, the family mentioned they had hired a PI. Just like Alan being reported missing so quickly, that is somewhat unusual.
The you-know-what fund was created 10/28, six days after Alan went missing. It also mentions a PI as an expense.

Is it possible LE learned something which leads them to believe Alan is not missing due to something criminal in nature, therefore they are not speaking publicly?

The family has a differing opinion, and are treating this as something happened to Alan outside of his control. His Mom said if Alan was hurt, give him back to us and we'll take care of him. Tim, Alan's brother says family feel they are getting close to finding him.

I hope I have it all wrong and DPD is onboard and handling this case.
It would be really sad if the original video was edited before making it to Alan’s family. Yet, the family has said they saw him drive onto Inwood on video and that part wasn’t shared.

Last edited:
Hey y'all! I live in Dallas, so I've been very invested in this case. The wet seats in the car and the mud on the tires got me thinking about the weather that week. The Dark Sky app has a Time Machine feature where you can look at past weather patterns, and we had rain on October 23, 26, 27, and 28, the day before the car was located. It could be that they washed the seats, left the windows down, had the doors open for a period of time (maybe moving in and out) or even someone who was very wet from being in the rain sat down in the car. It makes sense that there would be mud on the tires, too. There are some dirt roads and big fields to be found on the outer edges of the city, which makes me think the car didn't move very far out of Dallas, if at all.

Alan's still not listed in the TX DPS missing persons site. I wonder why not? He should have been entered into NCIC after MP report filed. So this should only require a form and a photo.

mpIndex

Criteria:
- MP report
- listed in NCIC
- complete form
- photo of mp
DPS - Missing Persons Clearinghouse Criteria

Form: https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/getForm.ashx?id=MP-3.pdf

I’m assuming LE and the PI would know to make sure this was done? I wonder why it wasn’t.

Last edited:
Alan's still not listed in the TX DPS missing persons site. I wonder why not? He should have been entered into NCIC after MP report filed. So this should only require a form and a photo.

mpIndex

Criteria:
- MP report
- listed in NCIC
- complete form
- photo of mp

Why isn’t he there? Is some criteria not net for him to be listed in NCIC? From that site I see:
National Crime Information Center (NCIC) — FBI

• Missing Persons File: Records on individuals, including children, who have been reported missing to law enforcement and there is a reasonable concern for their safety.
Is he even listed in the NCIC? Oh I hope the family is asking this!

mpIndex

Criteria:
- MP report
- listed in NCIC
- complete form
- photo of mp

Why isn’t he there? Is some criteria not net for him to be listed in NCIC? From that site I see:
National Crime Information Center (NCIC) — FBI

• Missing Persons File: Records on individuals, including children, who have been reported missing to law enforcement and there is a reasonable concern for their safety.
Is he even listed in the NCIC? Oh I hope the family is asking this!
Just comparing to the other recent missing person from Texas, Marisela Botello Valadez. She isn’t listed either and she’s considered endangered missing.
‘This is a big puzzle’: Dallas police ask for help finding missing Seattle woman Marisela Botello Valadez

Using the database, search terms Dallas county and after 10/1/2020 the only case that comes up is Mercedes Clement. Mercedes is considered missing, but I see no article about her at all in Dallas and listed as missing by DPD as of nov 6, but missing since 10-11. TX - TX - Mercedes Clement, Dallas, 25, 11 Oct 2020

with all that said—- I wonder the reasoning???

I saw that post of yours, and wholeheartedly concur. Something is off, IMO..

And I'm still curious why he went out of his way to go to that particular RaceTrac, as opposed to the one closer to home. Could be nothing, could be something..

maybe the price of gas was cheaper at that one. Or he uses some kind of membership reward points. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire