CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *CW LWOP* #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the CW interview tapes:

CW: Closure, you know, I mean my parent still think, I told them I plead guilty for a reason. And I told it to them and when they had that video phone thing Colorado the day before I plead guilty. Like I plead guilty for a reason. I didn’t just — I knew other people were watching I didn’t just go in and be like, just say anything, like they seemed to take it okay..

Tammy: What made you do that, Chris? What made you plead guilty?

CW: I didn’t want them to go through this for two or four years. I didn’t want my attorneys to lie for me for four years. I mean, they would have done anything I told them to do. I don’t see how they can do that, that’s what attorneys do, like they take their defendant and say hey what happened, okay we’ll go with that story. Like I told them everything I just told you guys and it’s just like they got together well if they ever offered plea deal would you ever want it? Just plead guilty to it? I’m like, yeah, If we can end this, end this. Back in September I told them that.

Tammy: Really?

CW: Yeah but, it was way too early and prosecution was still doing their investigation, grabbing evidence and all kinds of stuff. That really wasn’t on the table. I think it was around Halloween that’s when the prosecution went to Frank and Sandy and Frankie’s house and was talking, if we could end this would you be open to that? And that’s when the whole death penalty all of that conversation happened. I guess they were surprised that it would just be over..

CW: I mean I told John and Kate and Sophia and Amy (his attorneys) if we can just stop this, I know everybody’s telling me to fight this, there’s not enough evidence for this and that and I’m like, “No”. Honestly, this needs to end. For Frank and everybody to have to fly back to Colorado every single time and get reminded of this, I’m sure it’s never going to go away, but to have to come and talk about it, have other people talk about it, have, you know, all three of you get on the witness stand and say what they saw, what they’ve seen, what they heard on tapes and everything like that…I don’t want people to have to relive that over and over and over again for years. Like, if I could just end this for everybody and there was any closure at all they could start then instead of 2022, that way it would only get worse…for everybody.

Tammy: So did it have anything to do with you not having the death penalty?

CW: No like honestly, when I was sitting it that cell, I felt I should die.

There is no evidence that CW received ineffective counsel. In fact, in the recorded interview CW did with detectives months later, he stated several times that taking the plea agreement was entirely his decision. He also stated that on the calls to his parents. He told the detectives that his defense attorneys were absolutely willing to fight for him and make a case if he wanted to take his chances at trial. He didn't get bad advice. He didn't have ineffective counsel. He made a decision and he doesn't get to claim buyer's remorse or overturn his plea agreement. I would be shocked if any judge did that.
Watts said that his counsel asked him a "hundred" times if he wanted to take the plea deal, IIRC.

As Family Murderer Chris Watts Approaches Birthday, There 'Isn't Much Hope for His Future': Source

By Steve Helling
May 12, 2020 01:40 PM

[..]

Currently, Watts is imprisoned in the Wisconsin prison system, where he was moved for security concerns.

Despite the fact that he considered filing an appeal to his sentence, he now realizes that release from prison will be unlikely. "He knows that this is his life," the source says. "There really isn’t much hope for his future.”

ETA: Note that the 2020 or recent reports use the past tense that CW considered filing an appeal. It will never happen and glad somebody finally explained the law to CW!

I think this abandoned appeal idea goes back to 2019 during CW infamous "phone call" and the bogus comments promoting CW seek post-conviction relief by filing a motion (i.e., 35(c) ) spelling out to the court all the ways he was denied his constitutional rights to a fair trial and sentence.

The judge has full discretion over whether to grant the 35(c) motion.

See link at the bottom for the seven common grounds for post-conviction relief under 35(c).

Also, note that post-conviction relief is different from an appeal of a criminal conviction in Colorado. With appeals, the defendant asks a higher court to review the case. Whereas with a 35(c) motion, the defendant seeks review from the same court that handled the case.

CW also has zero chance of appeal:

CW pled guilty.

He admitted by a matter of law and a matter of fact that he was guilty of murder, and the court was obviously satisfied that this plea deal was CW's decision.

CW also has no standing under the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. He was not under arrest when he sat with investigators and took the polygraph -- he did so because he thought he could talk his way out of the crime that he alone committed! MOO

"Post-conviction Relief" In Colorado Criminal Cases (Rule 35c).

ETA.2
Attorney Scott Reisch of YT Crime Talk also addressed the law surrounding the same on his Oct 1, 2020 espisode.

JMO...he almost seems proud that he had the b@lls to kill her, and relieved that she's dead.
Yeah...he just "wanted it over"...meaning he wanted that life over..which meant he wanted them (Shanan and the girls) over.
He didn't want that "life"...so he made it be "over". He's so boss...he decides how things are "over".
May he rot.......
Piece. Of. Garbage.

I believe what DA Rourke said about CW wanting a fresh start when he murdered his family but I was also thinking about much he had to gain financially.

Of course there was the $450K life insurance. Their mortgage was $350K and the house he was so eager to cash in on was probably worth around $500K at the time, IIRC. So that's another $150K profit plus the $450K would have been a $600K payday for him.

Makes me wonder if he was motivated more by wanting to do away with his responsibilities or by wanting to get his hands on a lot of money so he could woo NK in style.

In any case, it's enough money that the mistress should have been investigated more seriously. JMO

Last edited:
According to CW's very own Court of Opinions, made up of his own friends & family, Shanann is guilty of what exactly? Emasculating CW? But yet, he chose to stay. Bad spending habits? But yet, he went on those trips with Shanann & chose not to look at their finances. Refuse to be treated like a doormat & take up for herself? Doesn't appear that CW was gonna take up for her so she did what she had to do to protect herself & her babies (at the time). If CW's friends & family think these reasons (because "they know what she's like!" ) justify murder, I really feel like I would question my relationship with "those" people if I knew them or God forbid were related to them. Say or do the wrong thing and well...we all know what "could" happen. It's sad! On SO many levels!
It wasn't Shannan who emasculated him.I wonder what they think about his prison activities with his buddy.

As Family Murderer Chris Watts Approaches Birthday, There 'Isn't Much Hope for His Future': Source

By Steve Helling
May 12, 2020 01:40 PM

[..]

Currently, Watts is imprisoned in the Wisconsin prison system, where he was moved for security concerns.

Despite the fact that he considered filing an appeal to his sentence, he now realizes that release from prison will be unlikely. "He knows that this is his life," the source says. "There really isn’t much hope for his future.”

ETA: Note that the 2020 or recent reports use the past tense that CW considered filing an appeal. It will never happen and glad somebody finally explained the law to CW!

I think this abandoned appeal idea goes back to 2019 during CW infamous "phone call" and the bogus comments promoting CW seek post-conviction relief by filing a motion (i.e., 35(c) ) spelling out to the court all the ways he was denied his constitutional rights to a fair trial and sentence.

The judge has full discretion over whether to grant the 35(c) motion.

See link at the bottom for the seven common grounds for post-conviction relief under 35(c).

Also, note that post-conviction relief is different from an appeal of a criminal conviction in Colorado. With appeals, the defendant asks a higher court to review the case. Whereas with a 35(c) motion, the defendant seeks review from the same court that handled the case.

CW also has zero chance of appeal:

CW pled guilty.

He admitted by a matter of law and a matter of fact that he was guilty of murder, and the court was obviously satisfied that this plea deal was CW's decision.

CW also has no standing under the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. He was not under arrest when he sat with investigators and took the polygraph -- he did so because he thought he could talk his way out of the crime that he alone committed! MOO

"Post-conviction Relief" In Colorado Criminal Cases (Rule 35c).

ETA.2
Attorney Scott Reisch of YT Crime Talk also addressed the law surrounding the same on his Oct 1, 2020 espisode.
I wish I could believe he won't try, but he's got his girl friend out with a new you tube site vilifying Shanann with all sorts of new theories about how it was all her fault, and he is just an innocent bystander, more or less. Apparently there will be a 35C filed in "weeks", but as I said above, I don't think the goal by his parents/girlfriend is to get him out, rather to dirty SW up and get the general public to think she did it. Also Cadle is coming out with a new book with lots of new stuff against him, she's probably got her nose out of joint the way she was treated after her plagiarism.

Last edited:
I wish I could believe he won't try, but he's got his girl friend out with a new you tube site vilifying Shanann with all sorts of new theories about how it was all her fault, and he is just an innocent bystander, more or less. Apparently there will be a 35C filed in "weeks", but as I said above, I don't think the goal by his parents/girlfriend is to get him out, rather to dirty SW up and get the general public to think she did it. Also Cadle is coming out with a new book with lots of new stuff against him, she's probably got her nose out of joint the way she was treated after her plagiarism.

LOL sometimes I can't believe these posts of mine. If I didn't know it was so damn serious I'd think it was a recap of today's General Hospital.
I appreciate your insight as I’m still catching up (on #13) and I haven’t even looked to see what they are doing currently but it sounds like they have not shut up and hidden in shame - I was already appalled by the settlement of the insurance policies with the killers family but to hear they are continuing to paint Shan’ann in a bad light?? Omg we need heaps of karma here
JMO

Capital punishment was abolished in Colorado in 2020. It was legal from 1974 until 2020 prior to it being abolished. All death sentences have since been commuted to life sentences
Capital punishment in Colorado - Wikipedia
I was referring to the DP in more of a general way, I know that it's no longer an option in CO. But these days with all the appeals in other states, it's pretty much a 20 year delay even if sentenced with the DP. I've always wished that there was a button to push for these creeps, like CW, like that jerk who killed little Jessica and buried her alive within sight of her house. A button that just takes care of them, that's that, and it's over. Yeah, I know it's not fair and all that.

I appreciate your insight as I’m still catching up (on #13) and I haven’t even looked to see what they are doing currently but it sounds like they have not shut up and hidden in shame - I was already appalled by the settlement of the insurance policies with the killers family but to hear they are continuing to paint Shan’ann in a bad light?? Omg we need heaps of karma here
JMO
You don't know the half of it. They're accusing Shanann of things that never even crossed my mind. Given the FACTS we all know about.

I believe what DA Rourke said about CW wanting a fresh start when he murdered his family but I was also thinking about much he had to gain financially.

Of course there was the $450K life insurance. Their mortgage was $350K and the house he was so eager to cash in on was probably worth around $500K at the time, IIRC. So that's another $150K profit plus the $450K would have been a $600K payday for him.

Makes me wonder if he was motivated more by wanting to do away with his responsibilities or by wanting to get his hands on a lot of money so he could woo NK in style.

In any case, it's enough money that the mistress should have been investigated more seriously. JMO

Let’s not forget Shan’ann’s wedding ring valued at $12,000
NK suggested to sell it.
Tammy Lee should’ve given NK a ride on the polygraph.
No benefit to flirt with Tammy.

Actually, it's of no concern if CW files a 35(c) motion seeking post-conviction relief because he's already misguided by his stated belief that he has to file within 3 years (does not apply to Class 1 felony), and he only gets one bite at the 35(c) apple.

A judge from the same court that convicted and sentenced CW has full discretion over whether to grant the motion, and CW's request will be denied.

CW's admission and plea were both a matter of law and a matter of fact. He doesn't get a do-over now or ever. There was no ineffective assistance of counsel or prosecutorial misconduct.

CW has more days, months, and years than he has options so let him pound salt until he's exhausted.

ETA:
As for another YT to dirty SW, those are only words that are not actionable. Besides, the Watts club really can't go any lower than filing a claim against the life insurance proceeds of SW and her babies. While a settlement was reached stipulating privacy from the public, there's still comfort in knowing that the policy distributions ($300,000, $75,000, and $75,000) totaling $450,000 were released only to the attorney of FR, personal rep for the Estate of SW.

Zurich American Insurance Company v. Rzucek et al (1:20-cv-01598), Colorado District Court

They really need to make "Shanann’s Law", that the killer's extended family cannot financially benefit from the deaths of the killer's victims.

It is absolutely appalling to actually write something like that, because it is so impossibility crass and trashy. People who had any sense and class would never have even considered that the killer's family should benefit from the deaths of his victims.

I qualified "family" as "extended", so that children of a killer would be allowed financial benefits. But that is it.

They really need to make "Shanann’s Law", that the killer's extended family cannot financially benefit from the deaths of the killer's victims.

It is absolutely appalling to actually write something like that, because it is so impossibility crass and trashy. People who had any sense and class would never have even considered that the killer's family should benefit from the deaths of his victims.

I qualified "family" as "extended", so that children of a killer would be allowed financial benefits. But that is it.

And lawsuits for Defamation of Character of a deceased person should be a thing too! What CW's family (and others) have said and are still saying about SW is absolutely horrifyingly disgusting. They have done nothing but continue to cause SW's family pain. Enough is enough!

Let’s not forget Shan’ann’s wedding ring valued at $12,000
NK suggested to sell it.
Tammy Lee should’ve given NK a ride on the polygraph.
No benefit to flirt with Tammy.
Just completely appalling people all around Shanann...just surrounded by evil.
Sweet angel just trying to have a wholesome life and be a good person and mother.

Just completely appalling people all around Shanann...just surrounded by evil.
Sweet angel just trying to have a wholesome life and be a good person and mother.

It is scary that she had no clue about the danger she and her children were in. I am sure that if she thought CW was a danger to the girls, she would have never left them alone with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charharr