Resolved WV - Harpers Ferry, Appal'n Trl, UnkSexAgeRace, UP75513, male clothes, Saint Mary nklce, Apr'20 - NamUs removed

Paul Paur

Paur’s story took an interesting turn when a hiker claimed to have spent the night of June 10 with Paur at the Standing Indian Shelter in North Carolina. The hiker said that Paur had spent the night reading the New Testament and talked a lot about religion. It appeared that Paur, perhaps, was out on the Appalachian Trail for more than a wilderness adventure but possibly a spiritual adventure

https://appalachiantrailnoir.wordpress.com/2015/01/21/on-a-quest-for-god-hiker-disappears-into-the-appalachians/#more-68

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Added to NAMUS today:

On 4/7/20 @ approx. 14:00, Xyzlem Tree Service employee was at the top of the mountain by Witness Post (Appalachian Trail) in Jefferson Co. cutting trees. When they [were] waiting and looking around they discovered a human skull. LE & EMS responded, LE continued to look for more bones, the search continued until 4/10/20, LE found approx. 20 bones in the immediate area (Longitude 39320226, Latitude 77722773). male clothes [were] in the area, 2 necklaces were found (1 silver & 1 with a St. Christopher medal on it), a crucifix was found, a t-shirt w/Montgomery Ward on it was found w/bones in it, LE thinks the bones may have been in the area since the late 1970’s-early 1980’s. Two (2) white Puma tennis shoes were found, LE contacted PUMA and they stated that that particular brand of the shoe had not been produced since the 1980’s. A Quarter (1976), a dime (1969), & a nickel were also found near the clothes. LE is investigating all missing persons from the late 1970’s & early 1980’s for that area.

www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/75513

#UP75513 Unsure, Uncertain
Date Body Found April 7, 2020
Location Found Harper Ferry, West Virginia
Location Harper Ferry, West Virginia 25425
County Jefferson County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Found On Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of Recovery On 4/7/20 @ approx. 14:00, Xyzlem Tree Service employee was at the top of the mountain by Witness Post (Appalachian Trail) in Jefferson Co. cutting trees. When they was waiting and looking around they discovered a human skull. LE & EMS responded, LE continued to look for more bones, the search continued until 4/10/20, LE found approx. 20 bones in the immediate area (Longitude 39320226, Latitude 77722773). male clothes was in the area, 2 necklaces were found (1 silver & 1 with a St. Christopher medal on it), a crucifix was found, a t-shirt w/Montgomery Ward on it was found w/bones in it, LE thinks the bones may have been in the area since the late 1970’s-early 1980’s. Two (2) white Puma tennis shoes were found, LE contacted PUMA and they stated that that particular brand of shoe had not been produced since the 1980’s. A Quarter (1976), a dime (1969), & a nickel were also found near the clothes. LE is investigating all missing persons from the late 1970’s & early 1980’s for that area.
Details of Recovery Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Harper Ferry was originally part of Virginia not WV, according to Wiki. It sits at the border of WV, Virginia and Maryland.

The geograhically closest male cases I could see in Doe Network (based off the Namus mention of male clothing) were actually cases from MD and VA and not from WV:

2 separate cases from Bethesda (55mi away):
John Broderick missing since 1987 www.doenetwork.org/cases/4898dmmd.html and Samuel Campbell missing since 1985 www.doenetwork.org/cases/2203dmmd.html

Jerry Plaster missing since 1988 from Manassas (54mi) and wearing white running shoes (brand not specified). www.doenetwork.org/cases/4331dmva.html

Oliver Munson missing since 1984 from Catonsville MD (60 mi) away www.doenetwork.org/cases/2006dmmd.html

Eddy Crane missing since 1987 from Baltimore (70mi) www.doenetwork.org/cases/4794dmmd.html

The FBIs ViCAP poster states the crucifix is four inches long.

I think four "inches" might be an error in the poster, unfortunately.

I took another look at the photo of the crucifix from the news article since people have been wondering about its unusual size. You can count off four large gradation lines in the ruler above it, however the ruler lines are in sets of 5/10, as you would expect if it were in centimeters. It appears to be the same ruler as in the neighboring image of the jacket, where you can see it is actually an L-shaped photomacrographic scale, much like the one pictured here on a forensic supply website. The standard version is numbered up to 5 cm.

The inch version seems to be less common, but here is an example. As you can see, it has the typical 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 inch markings. Since they are the same size as the standard scale, the numbering only goes up to 2 inches.

Thus the pictured crucifix is closer to 4 cm, or roughly between 1.5-1.75 inches, depending on whether you include the little loop at the top in the measurement.

5e94b099acdf4.image.png

I think four "inches" might be an error in the poster, unfortunately.

I took another look at the photo of the crucifix from the news article since people have been wondering about its unusual size. You can count off four large gradation lines in the ruler above it, however the ruler lines are in sets of 5/10, as you would expect if it were in centimeters. It appears to be the same ruler as in the neighboring image of the jacket, where you can see it is actually an L-shaped photomacrographic scale, much like the one pictured here on a forensic supply website. The standard version is numbered up to 5 cm.

The inch version seems to be less common, but here is an example. As you can see, it has the typical 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 inch markings. Since they are the same size as the standard scale, the numbering only goes up to 2 inches.

Thus the pictured crucifix is closer to 4 cm, or roughly between 1.5-1.75 inches, depending on whether you include the little loop at the top in the measurement.

5e94b099acdf4.image.png

Excellent post, and thank you. So that'd be standard scale for a regular Rosary. IMO. Excuse my 12 years Catholic education. Lol I was.judging this as hugeamagantic.

Mostly men have wooden Rosary Beads. That I grew up with anyway. Or it could have been a "hippie" (my words) cross on a leather type necklace? Cross not crucifix.

Today is the Feast Day Of The Immaculate Conception. Going to say a prayer at Mass this person is identified.

Thinking about this case especially during the holidays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cross was found near the remains, not necessarily on them? Is it possible that the cross is completely unrelated and happened to be found? If there is a chance of that, I worry about ruling out any possibilities based on religious affiliation/known articles of jewelry.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Added to NAMUS today:

On 4/7/20 @ approx. 14:00, Xyzlem Tree Service employee was at the top of the mountain by Witness Post (Appalachian Trail) in Jefferson Co. cutting trees. When they [were] waiting and looking around they discovered a human skull. LE & EMS responded, LE continued to look for more bones, the search continued until 4/10/20, LE found approx. 20 bones in the immediate area (Longitude 39320226, Latitude 77722773). male clothes [were] in the area, 2 necklaces were found (1 silver & 1 with a St. Christopher medal on it), a crucifix was found, a t-shirt w/Montgomery Ward on it was found w/bones in it, LE thinks the bones may have been in the area since the late 1970’s-early 1980’s. Two (2) white Puma tennis shoes were found, LE contacted PUMA and they stated that that particular brand of the shoe had not been produced since the 1980’s. A Quarter (1976), a dime (1969), & a nickel were also found near the clothes. LE is investigating all missing persons from the late 1970’s & early 1980’s for that area.

This is the first I read of a St Christopher medal and it says the Montgomery shirt was a tshirt not dress shirt. Yeah it gets A bit confusing with what Namus says.

Anyway my thoughts on St Christopher is the St. Catholics used to protect them when traveling . Like put him on your dash of your car or on your keychain.
My dad had a brass one on his keychain It was actually 2 and said St Christopher Be my Guide and the other said St Christopher protect us.
The funny thing is, I have no idea where he got them from as my dad was never religious or went to church.

(Snip below).. from Namus

2 necklaces were found
(1 silver & 1 with a St. Christopher medal on it),
a crucifix was found,
a t-shirt w/Montgomery Ward on it was found w/bones in it,

Now (snip it) from the article in the link which is the first article on this thread. Police investigating human remains found off of the Appalachian Trail in West Virginia

Police said the body had on a blue “Montgomery Ward” dress shirt,
red jacket with a stripe across the chest, elastic cuffs and waistband, white Puma shoes (high-tops, size 10)
and a necklace with an image of “Saint Mary” and the following saying: “O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee."

On Friday, April 10, police say they conducted a more extensive search of the area where the remain were found and recovered more clothing and items,
including a white sock
with three red rings and a crucifix.

I came across this guy and thought it was interesting. Seems a bit far BUT anything is possible.

4774DMWA - David Robert Sampson
4774DMWA.jpg

Mouse over to enlarge.

Name: David Robert Sampson
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: March 1, 1977
Location Last Seen: Seattle, King County, Washington

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 17, 1955
Race: White
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Small moles on upper lip and chin.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dark blue or green ski jacket, blue jeans and hiking boots.
Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Packboard with green pack and light blue sleeping bag, extensive survival gear, Bible and religious materials. He did not have any money or identification on him.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Sampson left the University of Washington abruptly in 1977 with evidence of personality change associated with religious conversion. He has not had contact

US MP Chrono Index

David Sampson

Last edited:
When I was younger, St. Christopher medals or necklaces were popular among people who traveled no matter what their religion was. I know my brother used to carry one. (I don't know whether to say it didn't work because he got into trouble a couple of times, or that it worked really well because he came out alive...)

When I was younger, St. Christopher medals or necklaces were popular among people who traveled no matter what their religion was. I know my brother used to carry one. (I don't know whether to say it didn't work because he got into trouble a couple of times, or that it worked really well because he came out alive...)

He's not a Saint anymore. Pope VI demoted him.

He was the Patron Saint Of Travel.

Glad your brother made out OK.

You have monks? I wonder what Order? Maybe he's a monk?

Many orders also have lay brethren who are kind of half-monks. One of my college friends was a lay brother in a Dominican monastery in Utah. He kept a subset of the vows and lived and worked at the monastery for a few weeks each year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back