Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
[

Wow!!!Where does this come from? "Her husband is not considered a suspect or person of interest in the case, according to authorities."
Really??

I’ll be honest, after CCSO latest press release, BM was put to the side for me. Not completely off my list, but to the side. That PR hit different for me. IMO

I’ll be honest, after CCSO latest press release, BM was put to the side for me. Not completely off my list, but to the side. That PR hit different for me. IMO
Some small part of me still wishes she'd just run away of her own volition, out of fear for her life and now she's in hiding.
But I think she'd go to her own family and would've contacted her girls by now.
So it's probably going to be a bleak outcome. :(
And even if she did escape... I still don't care for BM's inaction, when he should've put forth 1,000 times the effort he's put into other endeavors.
IMO.

Last edited:

Of course we can’t name anyone, but I’m curious. Do you have a specific POI in mind? Or just leaning towards a random abductor?

or - neither of those options?

Of course we can’t name anyone, but I’m curious. Do you have a specific POI in mind? Or just leaning towards a random abductor?

or - neither of those options?

Sooo, if it’s not the usual suspect (the spouse), then I think it’s someone known to her (not random). How well she knew this person? I think, not well enough. IMO

ETA: BM is still a tool.

Just saw this:

Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew Is Presumed Dead in Her Recently Deceased Father’s Obituary

Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew has been missing since May 10, with investigators now zeroing in on her social media presence

By KC Baker
November 19, 2020 01:15 PM
Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew has been missing since Mother’s Day,
when she is believed to have vanished while on a bike ride.
Authorities have not said whether they believe Morphew, 49, of Salida, is dead, but after Morphew’s father, Gene Moorman, died on Nov. 11 at age 87, his obituary stated Morphew “preceded him in death."
In the obituary, Morphew is described as being "missing and presumed dead."
Morphew’s brother, Andrew Moorman, has said he believes his sister was murdered.

More here:
Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew Is Presumed Dead in Her Recently Deceased Father’s Obituary

BBM:

Seriously, People?

I honestly don't believe there's a single person following this case who actually believes she vanished while on a bike ride.

The reporters to update their storylines.

Kind of like it's time for us here at WS to update this thread title:
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

While that header is entirely accurate, it's also entirely misleading.

The reason SM did not return from a bike ride on 10 May is that she never went for a bike ride on 10 May.

It's well past time to ditch the bike narrative.

JMO.

Incentive to Talk?
Also reminds me of Drew Peterson who is serving time for his ex-wife's murder. His last wife, Stacey Peterson is still missing and presumed dead.
@lonetraveler Thx for your post, interesting comparison.
Drew P* has been in prison for several yrs, for murder of W#3/Kathleen (in 2013, 38 yr sentence) and for soliciting murder for hire of lead prosecutor (in 2016, additional 40 yrs.). If he was involved in Wife 4/Stacy's disappearance or knows location of remains, after spilling the beans on that, Drew is still stuck behind bars for a loooong time.
OTOH ---
BM is still out amongst us, not arrested, much less convicted. If he was involved in disappearance or knows location of remains, he can offer LE/prosecutor valuable info, w potential for conviction of less severe crime or to lessen sentence. Not commenting on what LE or prosecutor should do, just saying BM may have something worth trading to benefit him. jm2cts

Last edited:
BBM:

Seriously, People?

I honestly don't believe there's a single person following this case who actually believes she vanished while on a bike ride.

The reporters to update their storylines.

Kind of like it's time for us here at WS to update this thread title:
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

While that header is entirely accurate, it's also entirely misleading.

The reason SM did not return from a bike ride on 10 May is that she never went for a bike ride on 10 May.

It's well past time to ditch the bike narrative.

JMO.

It really is misleading! @Spartygirl suggested “Suzanne Morphew--missing since May 10, 2020” would be a better thread heading.

@Ontario Mom could a thread title change be considered?

Interesting items from these articles:

1. They have found at least three bodies.

2. The bodies were found in burn pits.

IMO it would be impossible for LE to connect any of these bodies to anything at this point. Also, what they have discovered to date could be even more than 3 bodies and they could discover more in the coming days....IMO.

Also, the suspect in that matter is 26. IMO his range of killing would go back 8-10 years at the most if this is a serial case...IMO.

Krystal Reisenger disappeared in 2016, from Crestone,CO.
Prior to her disappearance, she told her landlord, she thought she had been drugged and raped, there was a gang in the area, supposedly involved in this sort of attack. This guy could have been involved in this, and continued solo. I would expect her name to come up in this case. I find it unlikely this will involve SM, but anytime someone’s path crosses a killer, there is always going to be the random possibility. This was ruled out early on in SM’s case, but every time remains are found, it will reopen that possibility, IMO

IN Gdnship Petitions for "Cannot Be Located." Frequency?
I wondered how frequently petitions are filed to request Gdnship for someone who "cannot be located"* like SM.
A powerpoint** I found online re IN adult gdnship data, covers 10 yr period, 1998 - 2007
(somewhat stale).

"Types of Incapacities Alleged in Petitions" on page 9, percentages are shown in footnotes below, but
"Cannot Be Located" is not listed as a type of incapacity; so no % or other number is given either.
T
his report seems to show no petition alleging person "Cannot Be Located" was filed in 10 yr period? Zero?

In a 10 yr period 60,000+ adult gdnship petitions were filed in IN, but not one alleged "cannot be located"???
:confused:Is that possible? :confused:What am I missing?

* Indiana Code 29-3-1-7.5. “Incapacitated person” » LawServer. IN statutory "incapacitated" definition* for purposes of Gdnship has included "individual...who cannot be located upon reasonable inquiry" since 1992 or before.
** "Adult Guardianship in Indiana: What Case Managers, Caregivers & Advocates Need to Know"
--- "
Types of Incapacities Alleged in Guardianship Petitions Dementia 38%; Physical Illness 17%;
Developmental Disability 12%; TBI/Coma 8%; Mental Illness 8%; Undue Influence 4%" page 9 bbm
Nothing re "Cannot Be Located." Often a report like this shows _ category = "less than 1 %" or "n = 17." Not here.
--- 6000+ petitions filed annually, page 6.

^ https://gotoipmg.com/images/body-images/IPMG_Professional_Development_Workshop_7-18.pdf

IN Gdnship Petitions for "Cannot Be Located." Frequency?
I wondered how frequently petitions are filed to request Gdnship for someone who "cannot be located"* like SM.
A powerpoint** I found online re IN adult gdnship data, covers 10 yr period, 1998 - 2007
(somewhat stale).

"Types of Incapacities Alleged in Petitions" on page 9, percentages are shown in footnotes below, but
"Cannot Be Located" is not listed as a type of incapacity; so no % or other number is given either.
T
his report seems to show no petition alleging person "Cannot Be Located" was filed in 10 yr period? Zero?

In a 10 yr period 60,000+ adult gdnship petitions were filed in IN, but not one alleged "cannot be located"???
:confused:Is that possible? :confused:What am I missing?

* Indiana Code 29-3-1-7.5. “Incapacitated person” » LawServer. IN statutory "incapacitated" definition* for purposes of Gdnship has included "individual...who cannot be located upon reasonable inquiry" since 1992 or before.
** "Adult Guardianship in Indiana: What Case Managers, Caregivers & Advocates Need to Know"
--- "
Types of Incapacities Alleged in Guardianship Petitions Dementia 38%; Physical Illness 17%;
Developmental Disability 12%; TBI/Coma 8%; Mental Illness 8%; Undue Influence 4%" page 9 bbm
Nothing re "Cannot Be Located." Often a report like this shows _ category = "less than 1 %" or "n = 17." Not here.
--- 6000+ petitions filed annually, page 6.

^ https://gotoipmg.com/images/body-images/IPMG_Professional_Development_Workshop_7-18.pdf

Good find on this document. That is weird that they don’t account for (even mention) the other 13%. Interesting that only a small percentage of guardianships are for spouses.

People.com: BM Not a Suspect?
I wonder if the journalist fact checked the piece. I don’t know know why I am so annoyed that she said Suzanne was on a bike ride, and especially about authorities not considering BM to be a suspect. What a piece of garbage piece.
@DizzyB Why, of course, the journalist fact checked the piece, and the editor too. ;)They both verified this past summer, People mag printed the BM-not-a-suspect line.
;) So what's to check? No need to ring up LE for updates. ;)
Or maybe they checked status w BM for a Barrysplanation. :cool: j/k

Good post!

I dont think we know if there was a POA between SM and BM for sure.

The guardianship could simply be by request of the title company even if there was a POA, just to make sure there not in a mess and have something concrete.

Even tho POA's are supposed to be interstate acceptable, we dont know the type of POA, if there was one, and if it was good between states or it could have had a time limit as well.
There was no Durable Power of Attorney between BM and SM at all else no need for a guardianship IMO- it (guardianship)has been used by the husband to facilitate asset transfer -all legal of course but right? Nope JMO

"Adult Guardianship in Indiana: What Case Managers, Caregivers & Advocates Need to Know"
Good find on this document. That is weird that they don’t account for (even mention) the other 13%. Interesting that only a small percentage of guardianships are for spouses.
@steeltowngirl Thank you for noticing that small % of spouses, prompting me to crank up the 'leettle grey cells' Hercules Poirot always yammers about.
Wait, which other 13%? I missed it.
For the 10 yr period, 1998 - 2007, the power point* shows:
--- "Relationship of Petitioner to Ward" graph on page 11 shows "Spouse" in 1.9%. Why so low? Maybe because married couples plan more effectively for potential of incapacity (like w PoA or a trust), so don't need to petition for gdnship? Or maybe their joint assets are in banks, credit unions, etc, which require only one signature to transfer, withdraw, etc. If couple does not own a home, the would-be guardian may maneuver thru the $$$ angle indefinitely w'out petitioning for Gdnship; but a home sale doesn't fly w'out signatures of all owners. And ditto, some transactions handled thru stock or investment brokerages, mutual fund co's.
--- "Guardianship Asset Value" graph on page 10 shows 5 % are > $500,000. So even w $$$, some ppl did not/do not plan for potential incapacity, like w PoA or a trust.
Interesting, but I may not be interpreting this accurately. jm2cts.

* https://gotoipmg.com/images/body-images/IPMG_Professional_Development_Workshop_7-18.pdf

Last edited:
And the zeroing in on her social media presence.

Yes. That was it for me. They specifically said social media. This is where, IMO, you communicate with people who typically don't live with you. You also, sometimes chat with people you don't really know. It's kind of the point depending on your interests. Then they listed several specific platforms. This was not about BM. This was about SM's activity. IMO

Now, BM's actions that weekend still don't make sense to me, especially with LS last report about how he really didn't have an urgent need to start that job and appears he did without the proper permit. I think he would absolutely know better.

When this story first broke and everyone was making a big deal about SM being home alone on MD, my first thought, this is a husband that uses his work to stay away from his home and marriage. Not thinking anything suspicious of him at that time. IMO

"Adult Guardianship in Indiana: What Case Managers, Caregivers & Advocates Need to Know"
@steeltowngirl Thank you for noticing that small % of spouses, prompting me to crank up the 'leettle grey cells' Hercules Poirot always yammers about.
Wait, which other 13%? I missed it.
For the 10 yr period, 1998 - 2007, the power point* shows:
--- "Relationship of Petitioner to Ward" graph on page 11 shows "Spouse" in 1.9%. Why so low? Maybe because married couples plan more effectively for potential of incapacity (like w PoA or a trust), so don't need to petition for gdnship? Or maybe their joint assets are in banks, credit unions, etc, which require only one signature to transfer, withdraw, etc. If couple does not own a home, the would-be guardian may maneuver thru the $$$ angle indefinitely w'out petitioning for Gdnship; but a home sale doesn't fly w'out signatures of all owners. And ditto, some transactions handled thru stock or investment brokerages, mutual fund co's.
--- "Guardianship Asset Value" graph on page 10 shows 5 % are > $500,000. So even w $$$, some ppl did not/do not plan for potential incapacity, like w PoA or a trust.
Interesting, but I may not be interpreting this accurately. jm2cts.

* https://gotoipmg.com/images/body-images/IPMG_Professional_Development_Workshop_7-18.pdf

RSBM: “Wait, which other 13%? I missed it.”

I might be looking at the wrong page, but the percentages for types of incapacities only added up to 87%.

Types of Incapacities Alleged in Guardianships:

Dementia 38% Physical Illness 17% Developmental Disability 12% TBI/Coma 8% Mental Illness 8% Undue Influence 4%

Those anecdotal findings were also eye-opening.

Anecdotal Findings
Notice is often lacking
“Regular” guardianships granted without hearing
Inventory/Accounting ignored
Bond not mentioned/not required
Guardian Vacant for long periods (die)
Open cases with no filings for years & years
Rare for limitations to be imposed
No use of ADR

jmo

Eh, I’m still thinking that LE is stuffing the envelope. It would not be good if some random person that Suzanne had a deep SM tie to was found by the defense later on. Let’s get through all of it now, no surprises. Build that case. If something comes up that seems untoward, investigate it now before it becomes reasonable doubt later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks