Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Websleuths Coronavirus - Covid-19 Forum

Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Hoaxes, Scams and Misinformation

Stats and Information from Other Countries

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

Covid-19 Vaccine Development

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

Social Distancing-the good, bad and downright ugly.

Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C and COVID-19)

—-

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Smiles Cafe

Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus

Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations

Home Schooling

Making Our Own Soaps, Sanitizers, Detergents and Other Household Products

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN NOTE:

10ofRods is a Verified medical anthropologist and as such they are not required to provide links to information that is within the area of their expertise.

Hey everyone,

This thread is for sharing information, not debating or bickering or winning an argument.

State your opinion, post your link to info, then move on without feeling the need to comment on every single detail of every single post. It takes over the thread and none of us are here to hammer our own opinion into the heads of other members.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is based in the US but has members from all over the world.

Any member who posts snark about another country will be permanently removed from this discussion.

Zoom Thanksgiving can be fun. Our family just did a dry run so we could be sure everyone is capable of joining on Thursday. It basically went the same way in-person goes. I was surprised and now I'm wide awake and in a good mood because I just spent time with my family.

Really, it was so much like a get-together at my house. It started with my sister and me talking about my dad. SIL shows up, listens for a couple of minutes, then jumps in convo. Interrupted by one of the boys, sidetracked to a new convo. Brother shows up goofing off immediately and everyone's like "Hey!" and all focus shifts to him. And on and on as people arrive.

It was really cool and I don't have a bunch of dishes to do and I didn't screw up my back cleaning like a mad woman in preparation for company.

And all this activity is going on in Texas??? Why would you be having no problem getting supplies and testing, but Ohio does?

I feel that people have been quite positive about the job DeWine is doing in Ohio?
Within the community, I have no idea why we would be doing much better with testing supplies vs Ohio. I just checked to see when the next appointment is for rapid testing and found one for 3am at one of the 24/7 clinics and a 2pm at one of the regular hours clinics. I didn’t check all of them. At the peak of cases in July/August, it might take a couple of hours of checking the website to get a time slot. I expect that will continue to get worse as numbers rise.

Within the community, I have no idea why we would be doing much better with testing supplies vs Ohio. I just checked to see when the next appointment is for rapid testing and found one for 3am at one of the 24/7 clinics and a 2pm at one of the regular hours clinics. I didn’t check all of them. At the peak of cases in July/August, it might take a couple of hours of checking the website to get a time slot. I expect that will continue to get worse as numbers rise.
I went on the CVS site and there were no appointments for tomorrow. Several available at a location 25 miles away on Tuesday.
The closest CVS offering rapid testing was 50 miles away with the first appointment available at 11am in Tuesday.
I don’t think there is a 24/7 site in the county, maybe at the ER. The community health locations are appointment only and you have to call and be prescreened. No online signup.

A couple more politicians with the virus ... 9 Congress reps in just 10 days now.

Two Republican House members announced Sunday that they tested positive for Covid-19, raising the number of Congressional representatives who have contracted the virus over the last 10 days to nine.

Rep. Joe Courtney of Connecticut and Rep. Bryan Steil of Wisconsin said their positive results were returned Sunday.

Courtney said he’d been exposed to someone who tested positive for the virus last week. After an initial test produced negative results, he began experiencing mild symptoms and took a second test that was positive.

Steil said he started feeling sick last week after working in Washington D.C.

“This experience reinforces my strong belief that right now, we need to be doing our part to help our communities by listening to the experts at the CDC — we’ve got to remain vigilant about wearing masks, social distancing, and the basic essentials like washing our hands frequently,” Courtney said.

Covid live updates: G-20 leaders discuss post-coronavirus world as U.S. cases top 12 million

Last edited:
‘Many of us have PTSD’: Pennsylvania nurses strike amid Covid fears

Gentile and his colleagues are the latest in a wave of healthcare workers – from Washington DC, to New York, to California – to protest low pay, understaffing and PPE shortages during the pandemic.

Adding to their challenges is the politicization of Covid-19. Dozens of states have been slow to implement mask mandates and other public health measures that could slow the spread of the virus, and healthcare workers have reported cases of patients believing the illness to be a hoax even as they were being intubated. In North Dakota, nurses infected with the virus who did not show symptoms were asked to continue working amid staffing shortages.

LA County to shut down all dining Wednesday amid COVID-19 surge

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles County is shutting down dining at restaurants, breweries, wineries and bars for at least three weeks starting Wednesday amid a surge in coronavirus cases, health officials announced Sunday.

The establishments will only be able to offer takeout, drive-thru and delivery services, and the restrictions will take effect Wednesday at 10 p.m.

THREAD IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED.
We received a ton of alerts on this thread this evening and it going to take awhile to cleanup.

REMINDER : downplaying the CoVid crisis is NOT PERMITTED and undermines the purpose of this thread. If you are denying the seriousness of this pandemic, and contradicting the advice of our government’s recognized health organization, your posts will be removed. If you cannot post within these guidelines, this thread is not for you.

So, my state's cluster of covid cases .... it has been sitting at 26 cases for days. Today #27 popped up among the home-quarantined thousands, having tested negative twice before.

And this is why we quarantine for 14 days when we are a contact of a covid positive person. Because it can take that long for the virus to show itself, and if #27 wasn't in quarantine they could have spread the virus further.

In this situation, we have the distinct advantage of starting with zero cases, and have quarantined all potentials - so we can see exactly where the new cases come from and how long they take to arise.

South Australian Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the woman had been in quarantine since last Monday and had returned two negative tests before testing positive this morning.

Professor Spurrier said it took eight days for the virus to incubate in the woman's body.

"It absolutely tells us that anybody who has been asked to be in quarantine needs to be in quarantine for the whole 14 days because there are people who have that very much longer incubation period," she said.
"Certainly getting out to day eight is a long period of time, but obviously the 14 days is of major importance for everybody who has been asked to be in quarantine."

New coronavirus case linked to Parafield cluster tested negative twice

Last edited:
COVID-19: Gyms and non-essential retail to reopen in lead-up to Christmas

The prime minister is publishing a COVID Winter Plan, which will include tough new restrictions in England in December but a break of up to five days for Christmas.

• Non-essential retail will be allowed to open, in a boost for Christmas shoppers - and the high street
  • Gyms will be allowed to open too, so the nation doesn't pile on the pounds in the run-up to Christmas
  • The 10pm curfew for pubs and restaurants, which critics claim did more harm than good, will be scrapped
  • And a mass testing programme is to be launched in Tier 3 areas, using the Army, like the recent pilot programme in Liverpool

China has found that several cargo handlers at Shanghai airport have contracted the virus. So they have been testing all of the staff at the airport. They locked down the airport, and cancelled all flights.

I agree that it is concerning if the virus can travel on cargo. It makes me think of the outbreak in NZ a little while ago.

Numerous videos posted online show the underground parking lot at Pudong Airport filled with long queues of people waiting to be tested.
In total there have been at least seven confirmed domestic COVID-19 cases among workers at the Pudong Airport. The risk of virus being imported through international logistics is of great concern to health authorities.
Shanghai Pudong Airport starts testing all staff after COVID-19 cases discovered - Global Times

Last edited:
AstraZenaca vaccine trial shows 90% efficacy when given as a half dose, followed by a full dose one month later. 62% efficacy in a separate trial with two full doses one month apart. Combined efficacy estimate is 70%.

AstraZeneca - Research-Based BioPharmaceutical Company

COVID-19: Oxford vaccine is up to 90% effective in preventing coronavirus, tests show

Bringing this information forward on costs/ages/quantities from my earlier posts due to Oxford/AstraZeneca coming out... just as a refresher on who pre-ordered what, and costs. Also of note, adding ages that were in the trials from earlier post. Also added Operation Warp Speed document which gives more information.

Roll outs
Moderna/NIH
20 million doses ready by end of 2020; 500 million to one billion doses in 2021. Can be manufactured in US, Switzerland and Spain. Advanced orders are US order was for 100 million doses with options on 400 million more; EU 80 million doses; Japan 50 million doses; Canada 20 million; Switzerland 4.5 million; UK 5 million doses for spring. They are in talks with WHO, COVAX re distribution and a tiered pricing proposal.
Cost expected $32-37/dose Tested on 18 Years old and up

Pfizer 50 million doses by end of 2020. Advanced orders are US 100-500 million; EU 200 million; UK 40 million doses
Cost expected $19.50/dose Tested on 12 years old and up

AstraZeneca/Oxford
EU 400 million doses; UK 100 million doses; alliance for poorer countries 300 million doses.
Cost expected $5/dose Tested on 5-12 years old and 18 and up

Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline
No info on.
Cost expected $12/dose

Source:

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #87

I had never read this before... information on operation Warp Speed which I found of interest much of the info.
Fact Sheet: Explaining Operation Warp Speed

Last edited:
A couple more politicians with the virus ... 9 Congress reps in just 10 days now.

Two Republican House members announced Sunday that they tested positive for Covid-19, raising the number of Congressional representatives who have contracted the virus over the last 10 days to nine.

Rep. Joe Courtney of Connecticut and Rep. Bryan Steil of Wisconsin said their positive results were returned Sunday.

Courtney said he’d been exposed to someone who tested positive for the virus last week. After an initial test produced negative results, he began experiencing mild symptoms and took a second test that was positive.

Steil said he started feeling sick last week after working in Washington D.C.

“This experience reinforces my strong belief that right now, we need to be doing our part to help our communities by listening to the experts at the CDC — we’ve got to remain vigilant about wearing masks, social distancing, and the basic essentials like washing our hands frequently,” Courtney said.

Covid live updates: G-20 leaders discuss post-coronavirus world as U.S. cases top 12 million

And Loeffler in the State of Georgia has had a confusing mish mash of test results after she did a Rally with the VP and the governor on Friday. Friday negative for the quick test, positive for the PCR Friday night. Restest Saturday "inconclusive", then another retest on that test said negative (this report says retest was PCR, but her office presser didn't say which kind).

Loeffler tests negative for coronavirus, will continue to self-isolate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member