OK OK - John Wayne Dalton, 47, transient, Mannford, 1 June 1994

Melt71

Reaction score
Recently added to Namus www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/74085
Transient but always called his mother for her birthday - family did not hear from him after 1994.
Thumbnail
Thumbnail
Thumbnail

NamUs #MP74085 John Wayne Dalton, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last Contact June 1, 1994
Missing From Mannford, Oklahoma
Missing Age 47 Years
Location Mannford, Oklahoma 74044
County Creek County
Circumstances of Disappearance My uncle attended a family reunion at my residence in Mannford, Oklahoma, during the month of June. He left after the reunion and no one heard from him again. He called his mother, my grandmother, every year for her birthday; he never called again. He lives a transient lifestyle; working off the grid, taking a bus from one city to the next. He wasn't married and we don't know of any children he may have had. No one in the immediate family or extended family has heard from him since then. He is tall - at least 6' or 6'2, and very doubtful by maybe 5'11". He has brown hair and either brown or hazel eyes. He is very slender, weighing around 170 to 190 soaking wet. We do not know if he had any tattoos and he was in the military.

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Usually very short, but if he goes without a haircut it can be longer on top, but always short in the back.
Facial Hair Description Sometimes he has a mustache, sometimes he is clean shaven. And he is quite handsome when he has a mustache.
Eye Color Brown

I also thought maybe he went wider than just Oklahoma if he was taking buses between cities, but the record is unclear. It seems most likely that something happened to him between 94-95 if he didn't call his mother for her birthday as he always did.

Oh, dear, I meant the month when Mr. Dalton always called his Mom!

(Please keep her entire birthdate a family secret :rolleyes:)

Mr. Dalton was born about 1946, BTW.

TY, Laughing

This man was found within days of his death according to NamUs, yet there’s no recon!

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

He was found about 90 miles away from where John was last seen, and in a place that transients frequented. He was only 5’11” and 154lbs, but that’s not too far off considering his lifestyle. I’m wondering if he was reported missing in 1994 or very recently. Would him having been in the military mean he has fingerprints on file some place?

I’ll see if I can figure out about when he should have called that year.

This man was found within days of his death according to NamUs, yet there’s no recon!

He was found about 90 miles away from where John was last seen, and in a place that transients frequented. He was only 5’11” and 154lbs, but that’s not too far off considering his lifestyle. I’m wondering if he was reported missing in 1994 or very recently. Would him having been in the military mean he has fingerprints on file some place?

Thanks, @MadMcGoo! Rockstar of UIDs!

This UID apparently had had heart surgery - midline incision plus leg scar. Wonder if Mr. Dalton's relatives would know?

Remember that if someone served prior to 1973, their record may have been lost in a fire:

The 1973 Fire, National Personnel Records Center

If Mr. Dalton served before this, his record may be ashes.

YMMV LRR

Just a few thoughts, questions.
From the Namus file it's not clear if he was in the Military or not. I looks like something is missing in this sentence. We do not know if he had any tattoos and he was in the military. Is the word "if" missing maybe?
Also I wonder about the status of his dentals.
His nose and height is very distinctive.
How old was he on the picture with the blue squared shirt? Not to be disrespectful, but he looks much older that 47. (living rough could have aged him quicker off course). Could he have been ill and/or struggling with some kind of addiction?

Yes, I did consider this John Doe too...it could be him, but the notes in the Namus file threw me of a bit. Original officer - Lt Hensley?!! What does did mean? Was it on his clothes, on a note in his pocket, hearsay?

Also this UID is estimated to have died in 1997.
That raises a rhetoric question in me; why didn't John Wayne ever contacted his family again between 1994 - 1997? And of course until now....makes me believe somehow something happened to him soon after he saw his family the last time.

I know a lot of family members who are left behind think that a person never would leave them not-knowing; "I'm sure he/she would have contacted me", "she would have never left her children" and a lot of times this judgement of character combined with the circumstances is totally proven right, but sometimes it turns out to be different.

Apart from the note in the Namus file...it could be him.

Edit to add.

Last edited:
CASE NUMBER - 1861UMCO

Thoughts?
Found December 16, 1999
Location of Discovery: Denver, Denver County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Unrecognizable - burnt
Cause of Death: Unknown

Estimated Age: 40 - 60 years old
Race: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown, but no old fractures were noted

Dentals: Available. Previous dental work
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

The victim was located in the area of 4600 National Western Drive near the South Platte River. He is thought to have been homeless and was possibly living in the area where he was found.

Or possibly this John Doe? 614UMCO

Date of Discovery: August 9, 2003
Location of Discovery: Glenwood Springs, Garfield County, Colorado
Estimated Date of Death: 2002-2003
State of Remains: Partial skeletal
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 27-66 years old
Race: White
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Insufficient DNA for profiling

upload_2020-10-19_17-14-7.pngupload_2020-10-19_17-14-24.pngupload_2020-10-19_17-14-54.png

upload_2020-10-19_17-15-12.pngupload_2020-10-19_17-15-28.png

upload_2020-10-19_17-15-53.png

Yeah, I think something happened to him shortly after the reunion. I couldn’t find his mother’s birthday. That might help knowing when he missed that phone call.

John has a very unique facial structure I think. Larger forehead, very slender nose (even at the nostrils), and prominent chin. And he’s rather tall. I’d like to know if he was known to stay in Oklahoma or if he traveled outside the state. Or if anyone really knows.

Or possibly this John Doe? 614UMCO

Good possible potential match - the hair and facial characteristics etc would just be guesstimated since the record shows none was found and they were partial skeletal remains. Do you know what the route is from OK? Sorry I'm on my phone and find it hard to flip between screens.

It would also have been useful to know which cities he had previously travelled to by bus (that the family are aware of) in case he normally went in one particular direction such as always chasing the warm weather to the west or something like that.

Good possible potential match - the hair and facial characteristics etc would just be guesstimated since the record shows none was found and they were partial skeletal remains. Do you know what the route is from OK? Sorry I'm on my phone and find it hard to flip between screens.

It would also have been useful to know which cities he had previously travelled to by bus (that the family are aware of) in case he normally went in one particular direction such as always chasing the warm weather to the west or something like that.

It's around a 12 hours drive.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

I was hoping there was little more info in other files, but nothing
Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: John Doe

Just a few thoughts, questions.
From the Namus file it's not clear if he was in the Military or not. I looks like something is missing in this sentence. We do not know if he had any tattoos and he was in the military. Is the word "if" missing maybe?
Also I wonder about the status of his dentals.
His nose and height is very distinctive.
How old was he on the picture with the blue squared shirt? Not to be disrespectful, but he looks much older that 47. (living rough could have aged him quicker off course). Could he have been ill and/or struggling with some kind of addiction?
If he can be confirmed as being a veteran, I would suggest his profile being submitted veteran sites such as veterandoe.com and www.missingveterans.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back