TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/KaleyAJohnson

Atatiana Jefferson’s mother, Yolanda Carr, dies after illness, attorney says
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html

Yolanda Carr, the mother of Atatiana Jefferson, died in her Fort Worth home early Thursday morning after an illness, according to family attorney Lee Merritt.
Atatiana was killed by a Fort Worth, TX police officer while serving as the caregiver for Ms. Carr, who had recently taken ill,” Merritt announced on Twitter on Thursday. “Memorial Service details will follow.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/fort-worth/article239124768.html#storylink=cpy

Oh my gosh. The awful things just keep coming for this family. I am so sorry for Atatiana's sister and her family to have to bury one more person in such a short time. I hope her nephew is doing okay with all of this, poor little guy!

82193781_2863244607047772_4255675148469796864_o.jpg
@leemerrittesq

I hope the reason for this does not lost. I hope rioters don't push out the peaceful protesters. Zion is such a strong brave little guy, good luck to him.

Indictment. He was reckless to have shot through the window, but it was otherwise not malevolent, IMO, unless there's more to the story than I understand. I doubt the murder charge will get a conviction, but I am glad that there is some attempt to bring justice for this young woman and the little boy who was traumatized that night.

Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson indicted on murder charge

"Had the officer not resigned, I would have fired him for violations for several policies, including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct," Police Chief Ed Kraus told reporters...."

"...The bodycam video released publicly shows the perspective of an officer outside the home, peering into a window using a flashlight and spotting someone inside standing near a window and telling her, "Put your hands up — show me your hands." A single shot is fired seconds later.

Jefferson's nephew told authorities that she had taken a handgun from her purse when she heard noises outside and pointed it toward the window, according to an arrest warrant. But police have said she was within her rights to protect herself."

Last edited:
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article246172495.html

A Judge set a Zoom hearing to discuss Wilson’s request to schedule more court hearings. The next hearing, to consider pretrial motions, is scheduled for Oct. 27.

The district attorney said she wants to schedule a jury trial as soon as the county deems it safe.

The Texas Supreme Court has delayed jury trials until at least December, so it’s likely that Dean won’t go to trial until at least 2021.

Attorneys for the former Fort Worth Police officer accused of shooting and killing Atatiana Jefferson in her own home have issued subpoenas for Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price and Police Chief Ed Kraus to appear at his next court hearing.

The subpoenas order Price and Krauss to appear in court on Tuesday, October 27 at 8:30 a.m.

Attorneys For Former Fort Worth Officer Charged With Killing Atatiana Jefferson Subpoena Mayor And Police Chief

There still has not been a trial date set for Aaron Dean who resigned from his job following the deadly shooting and was subsequently charged with murder.

A judge in Texas has tentatively set an August trial date for a white former police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of Atatiana Jefferson, a Black woman who was fatally shot through a window.

A gag order has been issued that prevents prosecutors and defense attorneys from speaking publicly about the case. At Tuesday’s pretrial proceedings, Hagerman said he would likely consider a motion to change the venue of the trial from Tarrant County, which is home to Fort Worth.

Ex-Texas officer’s trial set for next year in woman’s death

Typical cop.

Him wanting "adventures" and wanting to "serve my fellow citizens" sounds like he's one of those dudes who's convinced himself he's a "good guy" out keeping people safe from "bad guys," which is a pretty typical way for cops to view themselves. This mindset is part of what makes them feel they can shoot these "bad guys" with impunity. Most cops like being cops because it gives them an air of authority they can use to impress people.

I remember an episode of Live PD (good riddance; let's hope it never comes back) where a cop randomly pulled up next to a couple of kids who were hanging around on a sidewalk and started harassing them about "authority," asking them over and over something like, "Do you have a problem with authority?" And I was thinking to myself, I don't know about them, but I know one guy here who definitely has a problem with a authority: you, Mr. Cop. I guarantee the whole reason why that guy became a cop was because he loves the feeling of driving around town in his flashy cop car, in his flashy cop uniform, with his flashy cop weapons. He loves asking people why they have a problem with his authority. I've rarely come across a cop who didn't have this kind of attitude. I'm not sympathetic to their current PR problem at all. This is entirely on their own heads.

If there really were as few "bad apples" as they want us to believe, why are there so many of these kinds of incidents happening today? And these are just the ones we know about; just think of how much worse police misconduct was in the years before cell phone footage.

We will see what the jury says.
Aaron Dean won't spend a day in jail. We can all be 100% certain of that.

That doesn't mean he's not a murderer.

It also doesn't mean that you're right in defending him for not being a murderer.

Question: do you cops ever give the people you investigate the benefit of the doubt the way you're giving Aaron Dean the benefit of the doubt?

Typical cop.

Him wanting "adventures" and wanting to "serve my fellow citizens" sounds like he's one of those dudes who's convinced himself he's a "good guy" out keeping people safe from "bad guys," which is a pretty typical way for cops to view themselves. This mindset is part of what makes them feel they can shoot these "bad guys" with impunity. Most cops like being cops because it gives them an air of authority they can use to impress people.

I remember an episode of Live PD (good riddance; let's hope it never comes back) where a cop randomly pulled up next to a couple of kids who were hanging around on a sidewalk and started harassing them about "authority," asking them over and over something like, "Do you have a problem with authority?" And I was thinking to myself, I don't know about them, but I know one guy here who definitely has a problem with a authority: you, Mr. Cop. I guarantee the whole reason why that guy became a cop was because he loves the feeling of driving around town in his flashy cop car, in his flashy cop uniform, with his flashy cop weapons. He loves asking people why they have a problem with his authority. I've rarely come across a cop who didn't have this kind of attitude. I'm not sympathetic to their current PR problem at all. This is entirely on their own heads.

If there really were as few "bad apples" as they want us to believe, why are there so many of these kinds of incidents happening today? And these are just the ones we know about; just think of how much worse police misconduct was in the years before cell phone footage.

Aaron Dean won't spend a day in jail. We can all be 100% certain of that.

That doesn't mean he's not a murderer.

It also doesn't mean that you're right in defending him for not being a murderer.

Question: do you cops ever give the people you investigate the benefit of the doubt the way you're giving Aaron Dean the benefit of the doubt?

I’m not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. All I know is what I read in the media. The officer walked around the house in search of an intruder and what he found was a handgun being pointed at him. I’ve never been in that situation but what jury is going to convict him based on that evidence.

He didn’t murder anyone. To commit murder he would have gotten out of his cruiser and thought to himself “this seems like a good time to kill someone”.

You give away your anti-police bias by your statements such as “ do you cops”. That’s a clear indication that you look down your nose at the police and you have no use for them. You don’t have a clue about what that officer was like and it’s laughable that you “ know” that he joined the department so he could drive around in a flash patrol car.

Out of curiosity how many police officer have you come in contact with and under what circumstances for you to form these opinions?

I’m not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt. All I know is what I read in the media. The officer walked around the house in search of an intruder and what he found was a handgun being pointed at him. I’ve never been in that situation but what jury is going to convict him based on that evidence.

He didn’t murder anyone. To commit murder he would have gotten out of his cruiser and thought to himself “this seems like a good time to kill someone”.

You give away your anti-police bias by your statements such as “ do you cops”. That’s a clear indication that you look down your nose at the police and you have no use for them. You don’t have a clue about what that officer was like and it’s laughable that you “ know” that he joined the department so he could drive around in a flash patrol car.

Out of curiosity how many police officer have you come in contact with and under what circumstances for you to form these opinions?

Here’s a question. She’s a young woman, with no one else in the house but a child. So, she sees someone slinking around in the back yard—and this person hasn’t given her any reason to believe he’s a policeman. Did she have any right to feel threatened?

Here’s a question. She’s a young woman, with no one else in the house but a child. So, she sees someone slinking around in the back yard—and this person hasn’t given her any reason to believe he’s a policeman. Did she have any right to feel threatened?

Certainly.

She was within her rights to do that. It's the most rational thing she could have done. According to Ft. Worth police, the officer violated several policies, one being the failure to identify himself

Jefferson had been babysitting her 8-year-old nephew inside and playing video games. According to police and body camera footage, Dean failed to identify himself before firing his weapon, striking Jefferson.

Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson indicted on murder charge

The bodycam video released publicly shows the perspective of an officer outside the home, peering into a window using a flashlight and spotting someone inside standing near a window and telling her, "Put your hands up — show me your hands." A single shot is fired seconds later.

Jefferson's nephew told authorities that she had taken a handgun from her purse when she heard noises outside and pointed it toward the window, according to an arrest warrant. But police have said she was within her rights to protect herself.

I'm not an expert by any means, but wasn't there a safer way for the officer to handle this situation? Could he have taken cover outside the house and called into the house, identifying himself and telling the person to come out? Why was creeping in the window, close enough to startle the victim and put himself in danger?

Serious question, I'm curious as to how this situation could have been handled better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88