Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking out loud... still with more questions than answers:

AW disappeared on 10/22. It rained hard during the first half of the day on 10/23. The car was found on the evening of 10/28. The doors were locked. The seats were wet. The car was "in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it."

Although neither the family nor LE have commented on whether the windows were up or down, why would somebody lock a car yet leave the windows down? I personally don't think the windows were down, but that's jmo. *

Could the condition of the seats on 10/28 tell us something about when the car was left in south Dallas? And just curious, but I wonder which seat(s) were wet?

Would the seats have STILL been wet on 10/28 if the reason they were wet was the heavy rain that occurred a full 5 days earlier on 10/23 (according to NWS data, DFW got .91 in of rain that day, mostly during the first half of the day), - or would the seats have dried by then?

The Macan's seats are either all leather, or leather on the sides with synthetic suede in the middle. Both materials tend to shed water. A seat's cushion (the spoungy interior) however, would readily absorb water. But it might take a lot of water..

If the seats were wet on 10/28 for some reason OTHER than the heavy rain that fell on 10/23, what more-recent event could have happened to cause the seats to be wet - and how recent do you think that event would have had to have been (again, so that the seats didn't dry). Washing? A day or two?

Re: washing. Why would somebody who didn't own the car and who wasn't planning to keep or sell the car, care about dirty seats or stains? I don't think criminals who are abandoning a car (if that's what happened) would care about stains unless they thought that later analysis of those stains might lead LE to 1.) know that a crime had been committed, and 2.) identify them. So, I guess that's a decent argument that it was perhaps a recent seat washing that caused the seats to be wet..

But idk... for some reason I'm still leaning toward the heavy rain on the 23rd being the reason the seats were wet (even though it happened 5 days earlier, and even though I can't explain how the seats were directly exposed to the rain). Call it a hunch.

And if the heavy rain which fell during the first half of 10/23 WAS the reason the seats were wet, this would mean that the car could not have been dropped off any earlier than the second half of 10/23. And if THAT is the case, it possibly narrows the window during which we don't know anything about the car's location: where was the car between when it was last seen at the RT at 6 am on 10/22 and when it was dropped off in south Dallas sometime the following afternoon/evening of 10/23 (speculation). This might similarly narrow down the CCTV window on any probable or suspected routes into and within south Dallas

Jmo

Eta - * does anybody know if the doors of a Macan will automatically lock if a person with the key fob in their pocket walks away from the vehicle (and, would this same action have any affect on the windows)?

AW disappeared on 10/22. It rained hard during the first half of the day on 10/23. The car was found on the evening of 10/28. The doors were locked. The seats were wet. The car was "in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it."

Although neither the family nor LE have commented on whether the windows were up or down, why would somebody lock a car yet leave the windows down? I personally don't think the windows were down, but that's jmo. *

Could the condition of the seats on 10/28 tell us something about when the car was left in south Dallas? And just curious, but I wonder which seat(s) were wet?

Would the seats have STILL been wet on 10/28 if the reason they were wet was the heavy rain that occurred a full 5 days earlier on 10/23 (according to NWS data, DFW got .91 in of rain that day, mostly during the first half of the day), - or would the seats have dried by then?

The Macan's seats are either all leather, or leather on the sides with synthetic suede in the middle. Both materials tend to shed water. A seat's cushion (the spoungy interior) however, would readily absorb water. But it might take a lot of water..

If the seats were wet on 10/28 for some reason OTHER than the heavy rain that fell on 10/23, what more-recent event could have happened to cause the seats to be wet - and how recent do you think that event would have had to have been (again, so that the seats didn't dry). Washing? A day or two?

Re: washing. Why would somebody who didn't own the car and who wasn't planning to keep or sell the car, care about dirty seats or stains? I don't think criminals who are abandoning a car (if that's what happened) would care about stains unless they thought that later analysis of those stains might lead LE to 1.) know that a crime had been committed, and 2.) identify them. So, I guess that's a decent argument that it was perhaps a recent seat washing that caused the seats to be wet..

But idk... for some reason I'm still leaning toward the heavy rain on the 23rd being the reason the seats were wet (even though it happened 5 days earlier, and even though I can't explain how the seats were directly exposed to the rain). Call it a hunch.

And if the heavy rain which fell during the first half of 10/23 WAS the reason the seats were wet, this would mean that the car could not have been dropped off any earlier than the second half of 10/23. And if THAT is the case, it possibly narrows the window during which we don't know anything about the car's location: where was the car between when it was last seen at the RT at 6 am on 10/22 and when it was dropped off in south Dallas sometime the following afternoon/evening of 10/23 (speculation). This might similarly narrow down the CCTV window on any probable or suspected routes into and within south Dallas

Jmo

Eta - * does anybody know if the doors of a Macan will automatically lock if a person with the key fob in their pocket walks away from the vehicle (and, would this same action have any affect on the windows)?
The car will not automatically lock if you walk away, nor will it lock with the keys inside (unless you lock it with a second keyfob from the outside). There are sensors in the car that "know" where the key is. The car unlocks when you touch the handle, locks when you reach >5mph, unlocks when you put it in park.

-personal experience from a rental

Makes it all the more strange that he could be carjacked- the car is always locked if you're driving. Would also make it strange if the key FOB were found inside with locked doors.

Hi all, just catching up. I'm in the UK so don't get any updates on this case unless I check WS. I'm starting to think there is a piece of footage missing from the surveillance video at the gas station (where it looks like Alan just vanishes). I'm starting to wonder if the missing footage actually shows someone sneaking into Alan's car while he was briefly inside the gas station shop? Perhaps it was an attempted car theft or mugging that went wrong. Looking at how Alan was dressed after the gym I doubt he had any significant money on him. Perhaps he didn't even have his wallet or any credit cards with him (in UK we have apple pay where you can pay using your phone, I don't know if there is something similar in US?). Then when there was a lot of media attention on the car they thought better of it and dumped it. There must be CCTV footage somewhere along the route of where the car was eventually found. It's very odd how quiet the police are regarding details. I think maybe they have footage of something or someone incriminating but the police don't want to let on to them that they know. They are just biding their time until they slip up in someway. JMO

The car will not automatically lock if you walk away, nor will it lock with the keys inside (unless you lock it with a second keyfob from the outside). There are sensors in the car that "know" where the key is. The car unlocks when you touch the handle, locks when you reach >5mph, unlocks when you put it in park.

-personal experience from a rental

Makes it all the more strange that he could be carjacked- the car is always locked if you're driving. Would also make it strange if the key FOB were found inside with locked doors.
Are we sure the fob was found inside? I will admit I am busy with other things and may have missed it.
And is there anywhere that we can confirm that particular make model and year will not lock on its own if the fob is gone.
I recently bought a slightly used SUV. I have more than once hit the unlock to open it to go out and get something out and not remembered it will lock itself and have to go and get the fob. JMO

Jmo

What about a sunroof or moonroof? I could see that being left open either in advertently or just because they didn't care. I also think about the possibility that Alan was killed first in the car, then the person intended to keep the car for their personal use, washed it but then saw the amount of publicity that it was getting and decided against it and dumped the car.

I am firmly in the foul play camp. And sincerely hope friends and family are organizing search is near where the car was found.

Wasn't it stated a few threads back that the car had a sunroof that was open when the car was found? That seems to be the best explanation of the seats being wet when the car was found.
That certainly makes sense, and is likely accurate.
However, it was stated that the car was found in a manner that suggested there was an attempt to hide it. The very first thought I had was that someone had attempted to clean the seats and remove evidence. LE would be able to determine that based on the composition of the liquid.

This certainly isn't looking good. Let's hope I'm wrong

Amateur opinion and speculation

What about a sunroof or moonroof? I could see that being left open either in advertently or just because they didn't care. I also think about the possibility that Alan was killed first in the car, then the person intended to keep the car for their personal use, washed it but then saw the amount of publicity that it was getting and decided against it and dumped the car.

I am firmly in the foul play camp. And sincerely hope friends and family are organizing search is near where the car was found.
All the above sounds very possible, and the most likely scenario to me. I think this was a car jacking, and I agree they likely dumped the car when they realized how hot it was.
I was just doing some quick research on crime trends in 2020, and the pandemic has certainly had an impact. I found the crime data base for Dallas, which can be sorted based on crime type, section of town, and so forth. It's a huge database, but if you are interested, here you go:
https://www.dallasopendata.com/Public-Safety/Dallas-Crime-Map-JL/y6hp-7kax

Wasn't it stated a few threads back that the car had a sunroof that was open when the car was found? That seems to be the best explanation of the seats being wet when the car was found.

It has never been stated that the sunroof on the car was open when found, it was just some posters on this thread speculating the reason why the seats were wet.

From 30 October 2020: DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police have recovered the vehicle driven by missing accounting executive Alan White, but his whereabouts remain a mystery.

Dallas police are pursuing the case as a “want to locate” but, have no evidence to suggest that White was harmed.

When he vanished, White was driving a black, 2020 Porsche Macan. The vehicle was recovered Thursday evening in South Dallas, near Simpson Stuart and Bonnie View Road.

Also the VFM said (From Thread #1 Post #738) ' I have seen a satellite view of where the car was found but I don’t remember the exact location. It was in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it. The seats were also wet and there was mud on the tires. It had rained really hard the day after he went missing.'

Neither mentioned anything about the sunroof being open, although it doesn't of course mean to say it wasn't!

Im bringing this pic of the macan up from the previous thread. This is the car (i think) parked back at the dealership. Maybe I'm crazy but it doesn't look like it has a sunroof? Is this possible? I'm sure most if not all cars of this caliber do...but...maybe it's just hard to see because the car is black?

Attachments

• 243919-fd2d15e6155a7b822fbb96ecbb952dcb.jpg
    243919-fd2d15e6155a7b822fbb96ecbb952dcb.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 80
It has never been stated that the sunroof on the car was open when found, it was just some posters on this thread speculating the reason why the seats were wet.

From 30 October 2020: DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police have recovered the vehicle driven by missing accounting executive Alan White, but his whereabouts remain a mystery.

Dallas police are pursuing the case as a “want to locate” but, have no evidence to suggest that White was harmed.

When he vanished, White was driving a black, 2020 Porsche Macan. The vehicle was recovered Thursday evening in South Dallas, near Simpson Stuart and Bonnie View Road.

Also the VFM said (From Thread #1 Post #738) ' I have seen a satellite view of where the car was found but I don’t remember the exact location. It was in a secluded area and looked like someone was trying to hide it. The seats were also wet and there was mud on the tires. It had rained really hard the day after he went missing.'

Neither mentioned anything about the sunroof being open, although it doesn't of course mean to say it wasn't!
Thank you for keeping us on track! Accurate details result in better sleuthing!

Thank you for keeping us on track! Accurate details result in better sleuthing!

You're welcome roses! Yes it's good to stick to the known facts but then again us Websleuthers come up with some great ideas and theories that it's understandable sometimes the facts get obscured over the course of time!

sorry the last pic i tried to attach was so small. Lets see if this one shows up larger.
I can't tell whether it has a sunroof or not.
If this is, in fact his loaner car, it certainly got back on the dealer lot quickly considering our subject is still missing! I'm wondering if there were any signs of struggle in the car.

I have watched the LA Fitness-at-Haskell video over and over (back when it was first made public, and then more recently) trying to determine if the loaner had a sunroof - and if perhaps it was open - at the time that AW approaches the car and then drives off. It's dark. The car is black. There are lots of reflections. It's hard to tell.

You can kind of see light - which could be coming from the car's interior or dash area - coming through (or from) a location on the roof where a moonroof (if there was one) might be. Then again, the light could just be a reflection from an overhead street lamp or a nearby parking lot light. The RT video has never been much help when it has come to the moonroof question. Maybe someone with more pixels can tell.

If the car DID have a moonroof, and IF the moonroof was open as AW drove off and remained open (and not garaged) for the next 36 hours - it would have been open at the time of the heavy rainfall which occurred during the first half of the next day (10/23).

We know the car was found locked, and that there was no obvious / apparent signs of a crime, but it would be nice to know whether the windows (and/or especially a moonroof - if the car had one) were down or open when the car was found.

If the car DID have a moonroof, and if the moonroof was closed when the car was found, it might mean that somebody had closed the roof - but only sometime after the heavy rainfall occurred in the first of the day on the 23rd - which means the car might not have been parked in south Dallas until a later time than I had suggested in my last post. Again, pure conjecture. Just trying to determine when the car might have been left (or parked or hidden) in south Dallas.

Jmo

Eta: as far as I know, there's never been any evidence of any key fob being found in the car (just wanted to nip that one in the bud..).

Many new cars, and especially high end cars such as a Porche, have sophisticated computers that run all sorts of software in the car. It is entirely possible that LE can determine a variety of things related to what was happening with the car during the timeframe it was unaccounted for.
Again, I am extremely surprised it is back on the dealer lot; doesn't seem wise but certainly not an expert there.

Many new cars, and especially high end cars such as a Porche, have sophisticated computers that run all sorts of software in the car. It is entirely possible that LE can determine a variety of things related to what was happening with the car during the timeframe it was unaccounted for.
Again, I am extremely surprised it is back on the dealer lot; doesn't seem wise but certainly not an expert there.

I don't think it's ever been said that the car was "back on the lot" in the sense that it was or is either actively being utilized again by the dealership as a loaner, or was or is being actively marketed for sale.

There was at least one photo - which you can find in the previous thread - of the car parked in a parking lot amongst other cars. Questions were asked on that thread at the time as to whether the photo was perhaps from south Dallas or if it was instead possibly taken at the dealership or some LE impound. Eventually, objects were identified in the background of the photo that indicated that the likely location of the photo was the dealership. But no one (that I know of) has ever indicated that it was "back on the lot" being used by the dealership.

Eta- again, cup of coffee and thread 1 review highly recommended

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members