GUILTY CA - Lisa Thorborg, 68, murdered on hiking trail, Carlsbad, 11/23/2020 *ARREST*

ScorpioRising

Reaction score
Police release name of woman stabbed to death on Carlsbad hiking trail -

As reported by KUSI News:
"The body of Lisa Thorborg, 68, of Carlsbad, was discovered by passers-by at 11:23 a.m. Monday on a trail at Hosp Grove Park, near the 2600 block of Monroe Street, according to Carlsbad police Lt. Jason Jackowski.

Police say they have narrowed the time of the stabbing to sometime between 10 and 11 a.m.

Though no suspects in the case have been identified, a tipster reported seeing an unidentified man who may have been in the area where Thorborg’s body was discovered around the time of the fatal assault.

Police, who stressed that it remains unknown whether the man is connected to the stabbing, described him as white or Hispanic, between 5-foot- 10 and 6-foot-3, with a husky build, tan complexion and dark hair. He was wearing a black shirt, black shorts and possibly a black hat, and was walking slowly with a slight limp or shuffling gait, Jackowski said."

Carlsbad Police identify woman who was found dead with stab wounds on trail | cbs8.com
upload_2020-11-25_19-38-14.png
Search for suspect after 68-year-old woman found dead | cbs8.com
upload_2020-11-25_19-40-12.png
This is shocking to the people who live in the area. They thought it was super safe, and now feel threatened by some unknown assailant. They live in the area, their kids are allowed to bike and walk there, people exercise and take their dogs for walks there. Now this. :( Who would do such a thing? A stranger? What would be his motive? It's senseless and I hope he gets caught while I'm typing this.

“We understand and share the community’s concern over this tragic case,” said Lt. Jason Jackowski, who is leading the investigation. “We have devoted all available resources and are working around the clock to ensure justice for the victim and her family.”

There's a video of the area here. It's such a beautiful place to go for a walk.
https://cbs8.com/embeds/video/509-81756b25-a102-4985-b7a0-48161cc8bd85/iframe?jwsource=cl

https://www.cbs8.com/embeds/video/509-81756b25-a102-4985-b7a0-48161cc8bd85/iframe?jwsource=cl

upload_2020-11-25_19-53-38.png

SAN DIEGO — UPDATE 1:15 p.m. 11/25/2020 Carlsbad police have identified the 68-year-old victim as Lisa Thorborg of Carlsbad.

Police have narrowed the time of the incident to between approximately 10 to 11 a.m. Passersby called the police at 11:23 a.m. when they noticed a woman lying on the trail.

[…] A citizen tip identified a man who may have been in the area at the time of the incident as a white or Hispanic adult, 5’10” – 6’3”, husky build, tan complexion with dark hair. He was wearing a black shirt, black shorts and possibly a black hat. The man was walking slowly with a slight shuffle or limp. It is unknown at this time if this person is related to the incident.

Appears they may be looking to match shoe prints, IMO

Officers detained the man and took photos of the shoes he was wearing. They also wrote down his name and took photos of his face. After about 15 minutes, however, they released him.

She lived near the trail, so I'm guessing it's somewhere she was familiar with and felt comfortable with (as I would have also, I think, knowing the area there myself)

Thorborg, 68, lived just a few blocks from a trailhead along Crest Drive above Hosp Grove

Carlsbad Police Homeless Outreach Team searches murder scene | cbs8.com

For those who don't know the area, random violent crime and murder (random, especially) in Carlsbad isn't common at all. Many recent years they have had no murders at all, and if there are, they are usually DV or murder-suicides. Not discounting those, obviously, just wanting to give some context about the area.

If this also ends up being random, below is one of the few other incidents there in my recent memory, which again, the random nature (and definitely extremely horrific details of the extent of the attack) is an outlier in terms of what you'd expect in Carlsbad.

Transients Accused of Killing Woman in Carlsbad Home Invasion Stabbed Victim 50 Times: Prosecutor

This is so terrifying. It reminds me that all that "paranoia" I carry around, during my daily walks, in broad daylight (usually), is not for nothing. It can happen anywhere, anytime, at any age, and it's a such damn shame that we women have to think that way. Arghhh.

This was the day after, Nov 24. Probably not related, but how far is Pasadena from Carlsbad?

Woman Found Dead In Pasadena Park Under Suspicious Circumstances
Google Maps says Pasadena is 1 hour 33 minutes from Carlsbad.

I lived in Carlsbad for about a year, 15 years ago, but it has grown since then. Lots of money there, but also plenty of regular working folks. I always felt safe, but there was some gang-related drug activity and crime. Oceanside, the next town north of Carlsbad, was known then as the methamphetamine capital of the world. A friend of mine was stabbed in a home-invasion robbery in Carlsbad, but the bad guy - a known gang member- was caught and prosecuted, and my friend recovered. I loved living in Carlsbad!

I briefly caught this on the local news. So far, it's just a fact, and there hasn't been a connection to the murder. It just makes you wish Lisa found a hiking buddy and maybe it would've scared off the attacker.

Carlsbad murder victim posted on social media looking for hiking partner

"The former physical therapist posted on Nextdoor earlier this month, searching for a hiking buddy."

'“Hiking anyone? I am looking for a friend to go hiking with. I am a moderate hiker, 68 years of age and I would love some company,” Thornborg wrote on November 9."

Carlsbad murder victim posted on social media | cbs8.com (see video too)

I noticed on her fb page that she was probably from Sweden. She lost her husband in 2017, then moved here in May with her daughter and son-in-law. She was looking for a walking partner.

Carlsbad residents to honor woman found dead on Hosp Grove Trail | cbs8.com

"The idea for a memorial was spurred in a thread on Nextdoor that was started by Thorborg. Two weeks before her death, she posted that she was new in the area and was searching for a hiking partner."

"Her profile says she moved to Carlsbad from Portland in May with her daughter. She immigrated from Sweden 27 years ago with her late husband."

Quite a few people showed up on Saturday to finish Lisa's hike.

Carlsbad neighbors honor murdered woman by finishing her hike (10news.com)
A video of the event is included.

"Dozens of hikers descended upon the trail Saturday afternoon, honoring 68-year-old Lisa Thorborg."

[…]

"We loved her, though many of us didn't know her. I didn't know her personally, but you could definitely tell she had a sweet spirit," Neighbor Theresa Dooley said.

Weeks Before Being Fatally Stabbed on Nature Trail, Widow Posted Online Seeking Hiking Partner

Police say they are hoping to identify a white or Hispanic male, between 5 feet 10 and 6 feet 3 inches tall with a husky build who was possibly seen in the area at the time of the attack. The man was wearing a black shirt, black shorts and possibly a black hat and walked slowly with a shuffle or limp.

“We believe that there was someone matching the description but whether they are related to the crime we have no idea,” Jackowski says.

He adds:
"We believe she started the hike by herself."

Weeks Before Being Fatally Stabbed on Nature Trail, Widow Posted Online Seeking Hiking Partner

Police say they are hoping to identify a white or Hispanic male, between 5 feet 10 and 6 feet 3 inches tall with a husky build who was possibly seen in the area at the time of the attack. The man was wearing a black shirt, black shorts and possibly a black hat and walked slowly with a shuffle or limp.

“We believe that there was someone matching the description but whether they are related to the crime we have no idea,” Jackowski says.

He adds:
"We believe she started the hike by herself."

News Video https://cbs8.com/embeds/video/509-e1e102a1-bb8b-4ae4-99c9-ef02e119bee9/iframe?jwsource=cl

^^^ It took me awhile to backtrack and find this video. It starts at the 00:55 mark of the video, they talk to a man that saw someone fitting that description of the possible suspect. Then, at the 1:19 mark, you see LE stopping the man with a limp and questioning him and getting his info. LE eventually let him go on his way. So, I don't know if there's other men fitting that description walking around or if that was the man in question and LE let him go. He didn't quite fit the description though. The news keeps reporting that description anyways.

@TravelingBug, you seem to know that area well. Aren't there any cameras around that area?

Author: David Gotfredson (Investigative Producer)
Published: 6:51 PM PST November 25, 2020
Updated: 6:51 PM PST November 25, 2020

‘No higher priority’: Carlsbad police give update on search for killer | FOX 5 San Diego

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Officers in Carlsbad say they interviewed several people in connection with a woman’s stabbing death on a park trail but haven’t yet identified a suspect.

The Carlsbad Police Department said Tuesday that finding Thorborg’s killer is their highest priority. In addition to investigators, they have had the Homeless Outreach Team and Crime Suppression Team officers patrolling and canvassing the area since her body was found.

... snipped to reply...In addition to investigators, they have had the Homeless Outreach Team and Crime Suppression Team officers patrolling and canvassing the area since her body was found.
Yes, and they talked to a man in that area with a limp. Did you see my post with the video? (see below) You can see the man they questioned and let go on his way. So, my question is how many men with a limp were walking around that area? Do you think they have the right description of the attacker? I have doubts.

They checked out that man with a limp, and took his shoes for a print. I think they have a shoe print from the murder scene.

If there's cameras around the area, they might be able to pinpoint the attacker entering the trail.
News Video https://cbs8.com/embeds/video/509-e1e102a1-bb8b-4ae4-99c9-ef02e119bee9/iframe?jwsource=cl

^^^ It took me awhile to backtrack and find this video. It starts at the 00:55 mark of the video, they talk to a man that saw someone fitting that description of the possible suspect. Then, at the 1:19 mark, you see LE stopping the man with a limp and questioning him and getting his info. LE eventually let him go on his way. So, I don't know if there's other men fitting that description walking around or if that was the man in question and LE let him go. He didn't quite fit the description though. The news keeps reporting that description anyways.

@TravelingBug, you seem to know that area well. Aren't there any cameras around that area?

Author: David Gotfredson (Investigative Producer)
Published: 6:51 PM PST November 25, 2020
Updated: 6:51 PM PST November 25, 2020
Check out the video at the minute marks I posted. What are your thoughts?

They checked out that man with a limp, and took his shoes for a print. I think they have a shoe print from the murder scene.

If there's cameras around the area, they might be able to pinpoint the attacker entering the trail.

Check out the video at the minute marks I posted. What are your thoughts?

Good point about the cameras. It is a critical time period to try to get camera footage from neighbors/businesses etc. So often it seems there are cases where camera footage is no longer available for a date in the past because too much time has past.

The CBS report mentions that she entered the trail from Crest.
49C447B6-003B-4C6E-9CFE-798BDC39A928.jpeg
The red line shows the way she would have walked down Crest to the trailhead at the end (unless she cut through and hiked down the hill before the official trailhead) Those houses on Crest facing the park might have cameras showing the street. If so, PD might have footage of her walking along Crest and could check whether anybody followed or entered the trailhead at that point in the time frame mentioned. Cars are also parked along Crest.

x marks the general area where she was found if I understand correctly. I wonder whether she was on the way back or had just started her hike.

Since the opposite side of the street has another parking lot and it looks like trails lead up to the houses on the opposite hill...it would make sense to also check for cameras up there to see whether someone cut through that area to get to the park that morning.

Good point about the cameras. It is a critical time period to try to get camera footage from neighbors/businesses etc. So often it seems there are cases where camera footage is no longer available for a date in the past because too much time has past...snipped to reply...
Neighbors and area cameras could really help. I'm remembering Gannon's case, and there's been others too that helped a great deal. I hope LE is collecting lots in their investigation. This needs to be solved quickly.

@ScorpioRising, it sounds like you know the area well. Your input is valuable. I don't know the area all that well. The news videos have helped me some. Here's the latest:

Carlsbad Police: Do not to take murder investigation ‘into your own hands’ | cbs8.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back