NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

Hello everyone,

I am new to the thread but fairly familiar with Steven’s case. I noticed that Ed Dentzel, the host of Unfound Podcast, was sharing some case files on his website this week, so I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware. The “information dump” (is what I am calling it :)) consists of:

1. St. George, UT PD incident report re: Steven’s disappearance;

2. “security incident report” (“I think this corrects something that at least I have misunderstood for the last ten years. I thought the stolen vehicle on the landlord's property was found until AFTER Steven disappeared. This paperwork shows the vehicle was identified BEFORE Steven disappeared. In fact, 4 months before he disappeared in Las Vegas.” per Ed on his Unfound Podcast Discussion FB page);

3. Henderson, NV PD incident report, St. George, UT PD police report, call records, assets:
105 | Steven Koecher: A Personal Tale

I can hardly believe it has been almost eleven years :(.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the thread but fairly familiar with Steven’s case. I noticed that Ed Dentzel, the host of Unfound Podcast, was sharing some case files on his website this week, so I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware. The “information dump” (is what I am calling it :)) consists of:

2. “security incident report” (“I think this corrects something that at least I have misunderstood for the last ten years. I thought the stolen vehicle on the landlord's property was found until AFTER Steven disappeared. This paperwork shows the vehicle was identified BEFORE Steven disappeared. In fact, 4 months before he disappeared in Las Vegas.” per Ed on his Unfound Podcast Discussion FB page);

3. Henderson, NV PD incident report, St. George, UT PD police report, call records, assets:

Thanks for the heads up!

Hello everyone,

Well in the St George Police Report is states that Deanne (mom) gave LVPD a toothbrush and St George police finger nail clippings and a razor, both for DNA purposes. So that answers that question.

Hello everyone,

Well in the St George Police Report is states that Deanne (mom) gave LVPD a toothbrush and St George police finger nail clippings and a razor, both for DNA purposes. So that answers that question.

Just read through the police report. So it turns out they do have DNA for Steven, and I doubt that they somehow wouldn't have checked it against the body discovered in 2016.

Steven's case remains a mystery. Where did you go, Steven? What were you doing? I swear that this case is going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

I'll be back in 10 days for the 11th anniversary of his disappearance.

Edit: According to the report, Steven's dental records were also collected and put in the national database. If he's dead, I highly doubt that Steven's body has been discovered.

Okay can someone read the bottom paragraph on page nine of the Henderson PD report and tell me if you think it is saying that Anthem Security saw Steven's car parked in the same spot the 1st and 2nd of December or if they are saying the first two nights it was left there by Steven later that month? The wording is a little confusing. If it's the first suggestion, that means there is evidence that Steven had been in that neighborhood before and was possibly sleeping in his car there for some reason.

Okay can someone read the bottom paragraph on page nine of the Henderson PD report and tell me if you think it is saying that Anthem Security saw Steven's car parked in the same spot the 1st and 2nd of December or if they are saying the first two nights it was left there by Steven later that month? The wording is a little confusing. If it's the first suggestion, that means there is evidence that Steven had been in that neighborhood before and was possibly sleeping in his car there for some reason.

For reference, the police report states:

"On 1/12/2010 at approx. 1600 hours, Anthem Security contacted me and advised that one of their patrol officers had observed Steven’s vehicle where it had been parked on the first and second nights in December. The officer did not make any contact with the occupants and did not observe any subjects inside the vehicle. The officer assumed that someone was sleeping inside the vehicle as the windows appeared to be fogged over consistent with someone breathing inside it. The officer did not make contact as they are told not to do so. Police were also not called to investigate any further at that point."

Yes, this is confusing wording. My first thought is that they're referring to the nights of December 1 and December 2, but it could have different interpretations. If they DO mean December 1 and 2, I think that is a very interesting clue that I wish hadn't been overlooked for all these years.

I finally read the police report. Very worthwhile with a lot of extra details for anyone who is interested in this case.

I believe Steven parked where he did because the moving truck was parked in front of his destination.

This honestly seems fairly credible to me. The videos also show that Steven crosses the street after passing by 2269, which is the house with the security camera. 2260 is on the other side of the street. The other interesting thing I noticed about how he crosses the street is that he's going diagonally--as though what he was aiming for was very close by, or as if he recognized what he was going towards.

2260 is incredibly close to the cul-de-sac. And since the neighbour says they showed "suspicious behaviour", it had to be more noteworthy than just the fact that they moved. Moving is normal, but for them to want to report it as suspicious, it had to be something more.

I think it's worth investigating this theory and how the case might connect to Marc DiMaggio.

@Zion, @KnotACop, here at Websleuths, we generally use initials unless a person has been named a POI by LE. (Yes those are initials.)

Can your posted by edited?

Oh, that should've been obvious! Sorry for not recognizing that. Unfortunately the 24 hours to edit the post have passed, but in the future I'll definitely remember this. That makes a lot of sense.

Another thing that stood out to me in the Henderson Report – It states that someone by the name of Angela Dimaggio suggested that the area southwest of Anthem Highlands Drive & Democracy Drive (approx. 2.5 miles from where Steven’s car was found) may be an area where Steve might be located.

My questions:

Who is Angela Dimaggio? I don’t see her referenced anywhere else in the report, I’m assuming she is related to the other Dimaggios mentioned but doesn’t say if she lives in the Dimaggio house in Anthem.

Why did she suggest Steven may be located in that particular area? Is it because it looks as though that’s where the Anthem community ends and a large desert area begins? There is a trailhead there, maybe she was suggesting Steven walked out into the desert from that trail? I could see that being a possibility however why would he park over two miles away and walk to the trailhead when there were much closer places to park? Also, if he was walking out into the desert, why was he carrying what looked to be a folder with him?

These police reports are incredible, at least for those interested in the case

"On 1/12/2010 at approx. 1600 hours....."

I also find this paragraph confusing, and certainly the part about "The officer assumed that someone was sleeping inside the vehicle as the windows appeared to be fogged over consistent with someone breathing inside it." cannot be correct. Steven could not have slept overnight on the Sunday evening, as he would have been visible going back to the car on the security cameras. If he's claiming Steven's car was there on Dec 1 and 2 there would have been security footage of that as well

The lady who lived at 2261 Evening Lights Street and said the neighbours were "acting unusual" at 2260 (which appeared to be the house Steven was walking toward, or at least walked by) didn't give a specific reason. Yeah they were moving and the furniture was gone, and they moved a lot of boxes in three hours, which is usual when you move to another house. I can't help to get a creepy feeling though that Steven got killed and was put in the back of that large moving truck. The owner of that house's son appeared to be nervous when interviewed

These police reports are incredible, at least for those interested in the case

"On 1/12/2010 at approx. 1600 hours....."

I also find this paragraph confusing, and certainly the part about "The officer assumed that someone was sleeping inside the vehicle as the windows appeared to be fogged over consistent with someone breathing inside it." cannot be correct. Steven could not have slept overnight on the Sunday evening, as he would have been visible going back to the car on the security cameras. If he's claiming Steven's car was there on Dec 1 and 2 there would have been security footage of that as well

The lady who lived at 2261 Evening Lights Street and said the neighbours were "acting unusual" at 2260 (which appeared to be the house Steven was walking toward, or at least walked by) didn't give a specific reason. Yeah they were moving and the furniture was gone, and they moved a lot of boxes in three hours, which is usual when you move to another house. I can't help to get a creepy feeling though that Steven got killed and was put in the back of that large moving truck. The owner of that house's son appeared to be nervous when interviewed

I wish there were better context surrounding the woman’s comments about “acting unusual”. The extremely poorly written, imprecise, report is hardly helpful. I can imagine a police officer asking something along the lines of “was there anything unusual going on on that day?” and the answer “well, yes, there was a moving truck...”. It gets written up in the report as people acting “unusual” or whatever the exact verbiage was.

Overall, I found the police reports pitiful in their sloppy grammar, sentence structure, and just vagueness. Language has to be used correctly if it is to effectively communicate anything.

I was really surprised by a couple of things in reading the reports. Firstly, that there didn’t seem to be much urgency in investigating his disappearance. I was reading along, thinking that the various events of the “investigation” were happening over days to weeks when I realized they were happening over.....years!

I was also very surprised and even baffled at the inclusion of all the Websleuths posts. It seems like LE was relying on Websleuthers to do much of the investigating for them. Scary.

I was really surprised by a couple of things in reading the reports. Firstly, that there didn’t seem to be much urgency in investigating his disappearance. I was reading along, thinking that the various events of the “investigation” were happening over days to weeks when I realized they were happening over.....years!

I was also very surprised and even baffled at the inclusion of all the Websleuths posts. It seems like LE was relying on Websleuthers to do much of the investigating for them. Scary.

Only the first 8 pages would load for me. Unable to see the WS posts y'all mention.

But, looks like LE in Henderson almost expects people to disappear into Las Vegas? Even people with family members looking for them?

jmho ymmv lrr

I agree that the police reports were rather vague and imprecise in their wording. I think Steven's disappearance was never very urgent to them at all since there was no proof of foul play. After seeing what kind of guy Steven was, though, foul play is honestly the only answer I can reach for this case.

And yeah, it's interesting that they included the timeline compiled by Websleuths. I never realized anything discovered here could ever get put into an actual police report. Honestly, it seems like Websleuths was working harder on this case than Las Vegas LE. And that's probably still the case now.

I'll probably read over the police report a second time to see if anything stands out to me. Also, just under 24 hours now until it's been 11 years since Steven walked past that camera in Sun City Anthem...

Is the private investigator who recently checked in here regarding the phone lat/longs still working on this case? (I forgot the username) Would be great to know now that some of these police reports were available. The new info definitely changed my impression/opinion of what happened to an extent.

I'm curious, how did the new info change your opinion?
I would also like to know if the PI is still working on the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back