Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I linked directly to the methodology & sources used for the stats, which clearly state they can’t be broken down by town/village etc & why.

If my Spanish language skills were as competent as
my French ones, I would certainly check the crime figures for the area she went missing in.

You linked to the same link I provided in my post.

Can you translate the wording in the section near where I made the screenshot and paste it here for us? I translated the screenshot. I mean the phrasing prior and after.

I keep asking you to clarify but you haven't. Paste a translation for us of the French wrt violent crimes. My focus is not sexual crimes it's the category of violent crimes.

I am not sure we are on the same level, but here goes:

You wrote:

Basically the category "Vols et Degradations" is the sexual crime category. It comprises 65.1% of all crimes in the area. That's a lot! More than any other type of crime... lots of perverts in the area proportionate to population.

If you now claim that you are interested in VIOLENT CRIMES the same statistics will tell you that those are at a mere 0.29% for the entire area in 2014.

Okay, I found these stats too. They aren’t just for Bagneres-de Luchon, they are for the whole area, and concern a total population of 64,502.
Chiffres délinquance Bagneres de Luchon (31110)

I also respectfully suggest that crime statistics from an area across the border from where Esther went missing are a red herring/OT diversion.

(I’m bilingual).

The figures are actually worse than I posted.

It states per 1,000 people whereas I had it per 1,600 people.

Eg 329 violent cases per 1,000 people.

I could be wrong, however I’ve not found a direct quote of the authorities saying that, only her partner, then various media outlets repeating it.

I’ll keep looking.

Check article at the link I posted a page back. The Chronicle. Durham County. Sharma Sonika. 5 Dec

Just noting this here for the thread (note this was several days before Esther's disappearance) -

"Mountain refuge manager Chema Grau, 60, said Esther paid £15.50 to stay at his 7,000ft Angel Orus Refuge on November 17 after her plans to camp were thwarted by snow.

[...] Mr Grau said: “She seemed in very good spirits and very happy and was quite obviously relaxed and enjoying the mountains. At one point I lent her a charger – she spent a long time on her mobile."

Mirror : Family of Brit hiker missing in Pyrenees fear she may have been kidnapped

Also (different article) I don't know if this is the reporter's assumption, or has been confirmed by police, but if it's police I fear they have made an incorrect assumption, based on the photos we've seen being taken the day before. I understand there was a sighting of Esther going up the mountain, but my calculations based on the statement of the witness suggest she couldn't have reached the summit before 4pm when she sent the photo to DC. :-

"She was last seen by fellow hikers on 22 November, when she also sent a photo to Dan from the top of Pic de Sauvegarde on the France-Spain border. The reflection in her sunglasses in the photo later enabled authorities to pinpoint her location."

ChronicleLive : Aunt of missing hiker Esther Dingley fears she may have been kidnapped

The Sun:

"Mr Vigo del Arco told La Vanguardia newspaper that he had met an English woman at around 3pm on November 22 - the same day that Esther went missing on her long solo trek in the mountains.

He said: “She was coming up, we were on the descent, she was very heavily loaded with a very big backpack.”

[...] An hour after the encounter, just before 4pm, Dingley reached the 8,983ft summit where she sent a selfie to partner Dan Colegate."

Missing hiker Esther Dingley 'last seen by Olympic skier asking for fruit'

Spanish media :

"
The athlete calculates that she (Esther) would have around an hour and 20 minutes to reach the peak of Salvaguardia"

El temporal obliga a suspender la búsqueda de la excursionista británica desaparecida en los Pirineos

Finally this -

Madrid Metropolitan - "It is still believed that she could have changed plans and changed her route." Esther Dingley Search Called Off Due To Snow Storms

Just noting this here for the thread (note this was several days before Esther's disappearance) -

"Mountain refuge manager Chema Grau, 60, said Esther paid £15.50 to stay at his 7,000ft Angel Orus Refuge on November 17 after her plans to camp were thwarted by snow.

[...] Mr Grau said: “She seemed in very good spirits and very happy and was quite obviously relaxed and enjoying the mountains. At one point I lent her a charger – she spent a long time on her mobile."

Mirror : Family of Brit hiker missing in Pyrenees fear she may have been kidnapped

Also (different article) I don't know if this is the reporter's assumption, or has been confirmed by police, but if it's police I fear they have made an incorrect assumption, based on the photos we've seen being taken the day before. I understand there was a sighting of Esther going up the mountain, but my calculations based on the statement of the witness suggest she couldn't have reached the summit before 4pm when she sent the photo to DC. :-

"She was last seen by fellow hikers on 22 November, when she also sent a photo to Dan from the top of Pic de Sauvegarde on the France-Spain border. The reflection in her sunglasses in the photo later enabled authorities to pinpoint her location."

ChronicleLive : Aunt of missing hiker Esther Dingley fears she may have been kidnapped

The Sun:

"Mr Vigo del Arco told La Vanguardia newspaper that he had met an English woman at around 3pm on November 22 - the same day that Esther went missing on her long solo trek in the mountains.

He said: “She was coming up, we were on the descent, she was very heavily loaded with a very big backpack.”

[...] An hour after the encounter, just before 4pm, Dingley reached the 8,983ft summit where she sent a selfie to partner Dan Colegate."

Missing hiker Esther Dingley 'last seen by Olympic skier asking for fruit'

Spanish media :

"
The athlete calculates that she (Esther) would have around an hour and 20 minutes to reach the peak of Salvaguardia"

El temporal obliga a suspender la búsqueda de la excursionista británica desaparecida en los Pirineos

Finally this -

Madrid Metropolitan - "It is still believed that she could have changed plans and changed her route." Esther Dingley Search Called Off Due To Snow Storms

The police say they don't think she is on the mountain.

The police are focusing on the towns then so perhaps we should too.

Vols avec violence - violent robberies 19 per year
Violences physiques non crapuleuses - physical violence without material/financial motives 169 per year (most of it consists of beatings, 143 of them.
Violences sexuelles - Sexual violence - 29 per year.

All of it for population of 65 932 inhabitants. Can we put the theory of Bagneres-de-Luchon being a hotspot for violent crimes away? Because it is not riddled with violent crime, seriously.

There are only approx 1600 adults in Luchon not 65,000.

The town is tiny.

If there is an abductor someone has surely seen him. Perhaps he lives there?

Auntie Seagull Wrong category.
Scroll the full length of the page to see all the categories.

You will recognise it when you see the stats I screenshotted.

Okay, we are not talking about the same page, obviously. Can you link me the page you are talking about?

Okay, we are not talking about the same page, obviously. Can you link me the page you are talking about?

All stats are on the same page but you need to scroll to the Crimes de Violence section.

I think it's above the Voles section

The figures are actually worse than I posted.

It states per 1,000 people whereas I had it per 1,600 people.

Eg 329 violent cases per 1,000 people.

There were 329 cases of 'violences aux personnes' reported and this COMPARES TO 5.10 (‰) per 1000 inhabitants of the region.

It does not mean that 329 of 1000 inhabitants were victim of violence.

Out of every 1000 inhabitants of the region, 5 were victims of 'violences aux personnes'.

and 995 were not.

There were 329 cases of 'violences aux personnes' reported and this COMPARES TO 5.10 (‰) per 1000 inhabitants of the region.

Out of every 1000 inhabitants of the region, 5 were victims of 'violences aux personnes'.

and 995 were not.

and 995 were not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-06_160334.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-12-06_160334.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 25
Vols avec violence - violent robberies 19 per year
Violences physiques non crapuleuses - physical violence without material/financial motives 169 per year (most of it consists of beatings, 143 of them.
Violences sexuelles - Sexual violence - 29 per year.

All of it for population of 65 932 inhabitants. Can we put the theory of Bagneres-de-Luchon being a hotspot for violent crimes away? Because it is not riddled with violent crime, seriously.

Okay, to straighten it all out let me say that the stats I translated come from this page:

Délinquance, crimes et délits sur Bagnères-de-Luchon

Those are the stats not for the town population only, but for a Bagneres de Luchon gendarmerie zone that encompasses area much bigger than the town of Bagneres.

Now, there was also another page linked in this thread. This one:

Chiffres délinquance Bagneres de Luchon (31110)

These are also the stats for a gendarmerie zone, not a town!

Agressions et violences aux personnes - assault and violence against person, whopping 331 cases per year, for population over 65 thousand. Most of these cases are violences gratuites, or the violence without material motive, 180 cases, keep in mind though that in this category beatings, fights and other lighter stuff is counted together with heavier ones. Next we have 19 cases of violences crapuleuses, robberies and such; 32 cases of violences sexuelles, sexual violence; 68 menaces de violence - threats of violence and then 30 cases of such brutal crimes as atteintes a la dignite, or attacks on the dignity.

So again, no, Bagneres de Luchon is not crawling with murderers and pervs. It is a sleepy, rural area in mountains, now even more sleepy than usual due to COVID. Let's focus on Esther instead of looking for boogeymen.

But he rejected the theory that Esther had been taken.

He said: "It's impossible to be kidnapped on the mountain. You’re not going to hide her in a rucksack. There would have to be a camping car or something."

Aunt of missing hiker Esther Dingley fears she may have been kidnapped

It is not impossible for her to be on the mountain, but the theory of her being kidnapped on the mountain is impossible. IMO based on the quote.

Aunt of missing hiker Esther Dingley fears she may have been kidnapped

Captaine Jean-Marc Bordinaro, leading the French operation, told the Sunday Mirror: "The weather is deteriorating, making searching very difficult.

"There may be a resumption if there is new information. Spring will ensure a resumption of the search."

Asked if he had any knowledge of the Spanish side of the investigation over the man who gave Esther a lift - Cap Bordinaro replied: "No…we are on the French side".

But he rejected the theory that Esther had been taken.

He said: "It's impossible to be kidnapped on the mountain. You’re not going to hide her in a rucksack. There would have to be a camping car or something."

He also rules out a bear attack.

I see no reference in this article at this link... to “the towns.” I see no direct quote that he does not believe she is on the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member