Identified! FL - Sarasota Co., WhtFem 426UFFL, 30-45, breast implants, Feb'07 - Jeana Burrus *husband POI*

@PayrollNerd Thank you for finding the circumstances around her disappearance.
Maybe I'm reading into it too much into it, but it seems like she may have been homeless previously and once again left for the streets and shelters.
I was thinking the same thing. If Najeway was sheltering in Akron, OH or Chicago, IL in June 2004, how did she arrive in Sarasota, FL? Was she known to travel? Did she buy a bus ticket?

Her remains were found in Feb. 2007 and were partially skeletonized. There is about a 2 year gap she could have lived Sarasota. Arrived in FL in the fall of 2004 when the season changed and estimated death in summer of 2006.

Where she was found is not known for homeless people. Who digs a 3' deep grave unless they have the time and equipment to do it? A careless, lazy murderer dumps a body and tosses debris over it.

426UFFL
The victim was located in a wooded area between Ashton Court and Sarah Avenue in Sarasota, Florida on February 6, 2007. A teenage boy discovered a bone protruding from the dirt and notified his mother, a nurse, who identified the bone as human. Police later unearthed the rest of the woman's body, lying on its side, from the ground, apparently being buried in a three-foot grave months before. No suspicious events were witnessed near the scene at the time of the woman's death.

Skeletonization - Wikipedia
Skeletonization is the state of a dead organism after undergoing decomposition.[1] Skeletonization refers to the final stage of decomposition, during which the last vestiges of the soft tissues of a corpse or carcass have decayed or dried to the point that the skeleton is exposed. By the end of the skeletonization process, all soft tissue will have been eliminated, leaving only disarticulated bones.

I was thinking the same thing. If Najeway was sheltering in Akron, OH or Chicago, IL in June 2004, how did she arrive in Sarasota, FL? Was she known to travel? Did she buy a bus ticket?

Her remains were found in Feb. 2007 and were partially skeletonized. There is about a 2 year gap she could have lived Sarasota. Arrived in FL in the fall of 2004 when the season changed and estimated death in summer of 2006.

Where she was found is not known for homeless people. Who digs a 3' deep grave unless they have the time and equipment to do it? A careless, lazy murderer dumps a body and tosses debris over it.

426UFFL
The victim was located in a wooded area between Ashton Court and Sarah Avenue in Sarasota, Florida on February 6, 2007. A teenage boy discovered a bone protruding from the dirt and notified his mother, a nurse, who identified the bone as human. Police later unearthed the rest of the woman's body, lying on its side, from the ground, apparently being buried in a three-foot grave months before. No suspicious events were witnessed near the scene at the time of the woman's death.

Skeletonization - Wikipedia
Skeletonization is the state of a dead organism after undergoing decomposition.[1] Skeletonization refers to the final stage of decomposition, during which the last vestiges of the soft tissues of a corpse or carcass have decayed or dried to the point that the skeleton is exposed. By the end of the skeletonization process, all soft tissue will have been eliminated, leaving only disarticulated bones.

Great information @PayrollNerd!

So far, I've found previous addresses for her in Chicago and the Bronx, NYC for relatively short amounts of time (between 1- 3 years).
Both addresses are apartments in relatively decent neighborhoods, close to the all the action.
Her parents have addresses listed in FL, but in the Melbourne/Vero Beach area.
So she did move around, and may have had a familiarity with Florida from her parents.

I'm beginning to wonder about her moving from city to city for "work" or perhaps being sent by a network of associates.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but an odd post popped up on the discussion of her case on the tapatalk group 'usedtobedoe'. Last post dated March 16, 2007:
MOF040628 / Cecelia Marie Najeway

PS....I've made a Missing Persons (2000's) thread for Cecelia.
OH - OH - Cecelia Marie Najeway, 41, Akron, 1 July 2004

Great information @PayrollNerd!

So far, I've found previous addresses for her in Chicago and the Bronx, NYC for relatively short amounts of time (between 1- 3 years).
Both addresses are apartments in relatively decent neighborhoods, close to the all the action.
Her parents have addresses listed in FL, but in the Melbourne/Vero Beach area.
So she did move around, and may have had a familiarity with Florida from her parents.

I'm beginning to wonder about her moving from city to city for "work" or perhaps being sent by a network of associates.

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but an odd post popped up on the discussion of her case on the tapatalk group 'usedtobedoe'. Last post dated March 16, 2007:
MOF040628 / Cecelia Marie Najeway

PS....I've made a Missing Persons (2000's) thread for Cecelia.
OH - OH - Cecelia Marie Najeway, 41, Akron, 1 July 2004
I saw that post too but it talks about that Cecelia's page being removed so I wasn't sure if it was the same lady.

You're right chaddylex...They are still actively pursuing her identity.:)

Looks like this is a new rule-out.

Phyllis Ellen Llewellen
Kelso, Washington
DLC: December 27, 1996
5' 5"-5' 6"
115-120 lbs
Red/Auburn Hair
Green Eyes (Her eyes were considered a blue/green color)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

PS...I didn't see this lady before, when searching for possible matches. What do you think?
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Cecilia Najeway, 41
Akron, Ohio
DLC: July 1, 2004
5' 6" 100 lbs
Brown hair, blue eyes
*Looks like a healed fractured/broken nose
View attachment 274444 View attachment 274445

Too bad we can't find out if Cecilia had breast implants...

Just wanted to bump this up, since Sarasota Jane Doe maybe a victim of the following SK: Daytona Beach, I-4 and Central Florida

attachment.php

Overlay of original artist sketch of victim, and the later computer generated model.

Also, has anyone looked into the angle that SJD may be an illegal alien from Eastern Europe?

Interesting that you say this because my very first impression is that this Doe is a recent European émigre. Someone more knowledgeable than I might be able to get a clue about her provenance by looking at her dental restorations?
Might also consider that she is from Canada, the U.K., or more likely in my mind, Ireland. There was a mini Irish diaspora starting in the late 1980’s to early 1990’s. I know of several dozen young Irish women who came to Sarasota back then to work as au pairs, domestics, bar maids. This Doe could have been around 20 in 1987 - so that fits.

I get the feeling this is a local lady. That is not and I don't believe would be an area just anyone, especially someone like say, a truck driver, would know about.

I lived within a few miles of Ashton Court from 2008-2015. I agree with your description that it is not a high crime area. Riverview High School is nearby and one of the top schools in the state. Lots of people move to that area for that school. Sarasota Middle School is right there by Ashton Ct too. There is a post office nearby, a lot of single family homes that are probably from the 1960s, a number of small apartment complexes and a few big apartment complexes. Lots of new growth in the last 20 years.
The possibilities of a local connection to recent European families living not far from the grave site is intriguing. Just speculating, but perhaps she came to Sarasota as a overseas visitor to one of these families? A distant cousin, friend, etc who maybe fell in love with the wrong man? Or maybe overstayed her Visa and was working “on the side.” Maybe the host family was afraid of legal problems so they never reported her missing?
Even if she didn’t have a local connection, whoever killed and buried her there likely did. Can only hope that the initial police investigation included a thorough canvassing of that neighborhood.

The possibilities of a local connection to recent European families living not far from the grave site is intriguing. Just speculating, but perhaps she came to Sarasota as a overseas visitor to one of these families? A distant cousin, friend, etc who maybe fell in love with the wrong man? Or maybe overstayed her Visa and was working “on the side.” Maybe the host family was afraid of legal problems so they never reported her missing?
Even if she didn’t have a local connection, whoever killed and buried her there likely did. Can only hope that the initial police investigation included a thorough canvassing of that neighborhood.

I trust that SCSO made a thorough investigation and canvasing of the area around Ashton Ct. I agree, that whoever buried her there is familiar with the area. Someone who knew they had enough to time to bury the body without fear of interruption.
Rule Out List as of 02/05/21
MP10102 Phylis Lewellen 12/27/1996 Cowlitz WA
MP4166 Sherry Milton 08/15/2005 Jefferson AL
MP7377 Karen Heim 12/25/2005 Tulsa OK
MP11115 Brandy Hall 0 8/17/2006 Brevard FL
MP7112 Tamara Toy 04/24/2006 Manatee FL
MP5353 Lurline Bergeron 07/01/1991 Palm Beach FL
MP21515 Juanita Oxenrider 11/14/1976 Anne Arundel MD
MP4304 Rachel Yates 06/10/2006 Volusia FL
MP806 Danielle Imbo 02/19/2005 Philadelphia PA
MP10706 Kimberly Harley 01/23/2004 St. Johns FL
MP402 Jodi Huisentruit 06/26/1995 Cerro Gordo IA
MP7995 Paula Waid 03/16/1991 Pasco FL
MP9202 Tammy Walker 10/13/2006 Pasco FL
MP1727 Sonya Bradley 10/11/2002 Lyon KY
--Ylenia Carrisi--LA
MP2413 Tiffany Sessions 02/09/1989 Alachua FL
MP1100 Hazel Klug 05/20/1986 Henrico VA
MP7584 Parley Pate 02/09/1993 Wake NC
MP170 Jennifer Casper-Ross 05/05/2005 Washoe NV
MP974 Patricia Schmidt 06/04/1985 Henrico VA
MP6853 Sheila Main 08/17/2006 Wood OH
MP2328 Traci Kegley 04/26/1998 Elmore AL
MP7616 Charlene Villinger 09/04/1989 Virginia Beach VA
MP8174 Carmen Hetrick 06/02/1984 El Paso CO
MP8495 Gail Russel 09/04/1995 Pasco FL
MP5409 Bonnie Kelly 07/09/2003 Kane IL
--Danielle Day--NJ
--Jeannine Erwin--OH
MP7570 Angela Bates 11/13/2006 Grady OK
MP490 Tina D'Ambrosio 06/11/1996 Maricopa AZ

14th Anniversary of her being found...(Saturday, February 6, 2021) :(

Last edited:
I neglected to post that I talked to the detective a few months ago (don’t recall her name). She indicated that there wasn’t enough useable DNA to delve into familial DNA. Disappointing.

@othram given developments in the past couple of years and LE's apparent ongoing efforts to ID this lady (there is an extensive exclusion list), perhaps they would be motivated to try your services?

@othram given developments in the past couple of years and LE's apparent ongoing efforts to ID this lady (there is an extensive exclusion list), perhaps they would be motivated to try your services?

It is certainly worth a look. We are not familiar with the case. Do you know the agency or folks involved? We would be happy to reach out.

It is certainly worth a look. We are not familiar with the case. Do you know the agency or folks involved? We would be happy to reach out.

Awesome! Thanks so much @Melt71 and @othram!

Sarasota County just got a new sheriff, so he will probably be very proactive. (Hopefully!)

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone at SCSO working on the case. The District 12 Medical Examiner Office in Sarasota lists David Winterhalter, Director of Operations, Administration Office, as the only contact on Namus.gov. Dr. Russel Vega is the Chief ME for District 12.

Awesome! Thanks so much @Melt71 and @othram!

Sarasota County just got a new sheriff, so he will probably be very proactive. (Hopefully!)

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone at SCSO working on the case. The District 12 Medical Examiner Office in Sarasota lists David Winterhalter, Director of Operations, Administration Office, as the only contact on Namus.gov. Dr. Russel Vega is the Chief ME for District 12.

Thanks. We will reach out.

Article from the local newspaper in 2014
Images released of 2007 Sarasota murder victim
By BILLY COX
Posted Feb 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Updated Feb 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM

The woman’s body was found near Ashton Court in 2007. She is believed to have been 30 to 40 years old.

Maxine Miller was the first crime scene technician to arrive at the shallow unmarked wooded grave of a woman no one bothered to report as missing.

Seven long years later, the identity of a homicide victim known to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office as Case No. 07-10645, or simply Jane Doe, remains a mystery. But she is hardly forgotten. Miller keeps an artist’s rendering of her face on the bulletin board at her office.

“She’s always on my mind,” says Miller, whose relationship with Jane Doe began on Feb. 6, 2007, some 50 yards south of 5438 Ashton Court in Sarasota. “Who are you? That question often goes through my head as I walk in the door. Who are you?”

On the eve of that grim anniversary, the Sheriff’s Office released another composite portrait of Jane Doe. And with an assist from technology, an even sharper profile of the county’s only anonymous homicide victim may soon assume a sharper focus.

Buried in a 3-foot grave, her skull exhibiting signs of fracturing before death, Jane Doe went undiscovered for as long as a year before a passer-by found one of her bones. She is believed to have been anywhere from her 30s to her 40s, and of European ethnicity. She had long brown ponytailed hair with blonde streaks. Jane Doe’s DNA matches nothing in the FBI database, and her body was too decomposed to detect fingerprints.

Thanks to facial reconstruction software created by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, new images unveiled in Sarasota Wednesday morning will replace the original FBI sketches.

“Both are based on the same cranio-facial structure, but there are certain areas, like the cartilage at the tip of the nose, which are more subjective,” Miller said. “There are a few little changes to the brow ridge and the fullness of the upper lips. We’ve gone seven years with the first sketch without any luck.”

But the real revelations are likely forthcoming from the frontier of Stable Isotope Analysis. Unavailable to forensic science in 2007, isotope analysis can give researchers an idea of where someone grew up and most recently lived, based on diet and water-consumption data stored in tooth enamel, as well as bone and hair samples. Jane Doe’s remains are being studied by University of South Florida researchers.

“We had some early indications in our isotopic studies that she was here for a recent amount of time and maybe came from another area,” said Miller, “but we’re going to let the University of South Florida finish making the analysis before we make any definite statements.”

“Not knowing the identity of the victim makes it difficult for us to go back and look at that history, which is normally where we develop a suspect,” added Sgt. Kevin Pingle. “So here, we’re actually taking a different approach and reaching out to the public.”

Pingle said the new images are being posted on missing-person websites in an effort to jog memory and recognition:

“I want to find out who she is, so we can give an answer to her family, that here she is, you can take her home.”

At roughly 5-foot-7 and between 145 and 165 pounds, Jane Doe was found wearing a light-colored, medium-sized Spice Wear mini-skirt, with a rear zipper and drawstring suede belt. She also wore turquoise socks and a multi-colored cotton pullover shirt with a “Made in Italy” tag. She had breast implant surgery that investigators believe could have been completed between 1998 and 2007. Authorities are not releasing the exact details of her death.

More at link....

Here is a clip of the area south of Ashton Court in Sarasota. That is a retention pond and wetland area (low area) for drainage and flooding.

View attachment 235112

*New Rule Out added today, 06/11/2021

*MP21769 Tina Jones 01/01/2000 Orange FL
MP10102 Phylis Lewellen 12/27/1996 Cowlitz WA
MP4166 Sherry Milton 08/15/2005 Jefferson AL
MP7377 Karen Heim 12/25/2005 Tulsa OK
MP11115 Brandy Hall 0 8/17/2006 Brevard FL
MP7112 Tamara Toy 04/24/2006 Manatee FL
MP5353 Lurline Bergeron 07/01/1991 Palm Beach FL
MP21515 Juanita Oxenrider 11/14/1976 Anne Arundel MD
MP4304 Rachel Yates 06/10/2006 Volusia FL
MP806 Danielle Imbo 02/19/2005 Philadelphia PA