GUILTY UK - Louise Smith, 16, Havant, Hampshire, 8 May 2020 *Arrest*

12:32KEY EVENT
'Any parent's worst nightmare'
Delivering the prison sentence, Mrs Justice May told Louise's family she understood that "no sentence can compensate for your loss".

She said:

I have asked myself what motive there would have been to take her to that clearance. But there is no forensic evidence of sexual activity and nothing in Shane Mays’ background to suggest it.

I cannot be sure that her murder was sexually motivated or involved sexual conduct. I think it more likely he did not.

Her summary continued:

He punched Louise Smith with his fists and probably with a log, that alone would have killed her.

A crime of murder not only ends one life but grievously harms others. Louise Smith’s family have spoken about the terrible impact on them and, as her mother put it, ‘it is any parent’s worst nightmare’”.

Shane Mays sentenced to minimum of 25 years for murder - live

Hopefully we will get sentencing remarks.
I find it odd ( polite word ) that Nathan Matthews was given 34 years for murdering and dismembering Becky Watts but this crime, which is equal, if not worse, with the level of violence involved - and was also the murder of a young, vulnerable teen, has a sentence of only 25 years.
I appreciate he might not be released after 25 years, but it still allows him a chance to believe that he will be, rather than giving him a whole of life.

She said:

I have asked myself what motive there would have been to take her to that clearance. But there is no forensic evidence of sexual activity and nothing in Shane Mays’ background to suggest it.

I cannot be sure that her murder was sexually motivated or involved sexual conduct. I think it more likely he did not.

Respectfully, I whole heartedly disagree - given the position the body was found in, the very particular way it was treated and the violence she had been subjected to ( with seemingly no other motive or evidence for such a rage if a sexual element was discounted )

13:03EMMA PENGELLY
'Her life was not all bleak by any means'
As part of her closing remarks, Mrs Justice May said:

The sudden death of any person is tragic, but the death of a vulnerable child is particularly grievous.

Louise had all her life before her, a close relationship with boyfriend Bradley, friends to support her and to laugh and joke with.

She had fun, she laughed, her life was not all bleak by any means.

Hampshire County Council confirmed a learning review will be carried out following Louise's death.

As reported, the teenager had a social worker who she spoke with the day before she was murdered by Mays.

The county council statement said: ‘All of the evidence heard in court will be considered alongside all other relevant information from the council and other agencies by the Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership in its learning review.’

Derek Benson, chair of the Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership, said reviews do not aim to ‘apportion blame’ and reports are anonymised.

He said: ‘Therefore, while I can confirm that a review is being undertaken, I cannot provide any further details, including providing an indication of when the review report will be published.’

'Pure evil' Shane Mays jailed for at least 25 years for murdering Louise Smith

I cannot understand why they are not mandated to make their review public

Hampshire County Council confirmed a learning review will be carried out following Louise's death.

As reported, the teenager had a social worker who she spoke with the day before she was murdered by Mays.

The county council statement said: ‘All of the evidence heard in court will be considered alongside all other relevant information from the council and other agencies by the Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership in its learning review.’

Derek Benson, chair of the Hampshire Safeguarding Children Partnership, said reviews do not aim to ‘apportion blame’ and reports are anonymised.

He said: ‘Therefore, while I can confirm that a review is being undertaken, I cannot provide any further details, including providing an indication of when the review report will be published.’

'Pure evil' Shane Mays jailed for at least 25 years for murdering Louise Smith

I cannot understand why they are not mandated to make their review public

As I understand it, they WILL publish it (anonymously) but don't know when...

13:12EMMA PENGELLY
Mays dismissed
After delivering lengthy sentencing remarks, Mays was dismissed from the courtroom from where he stood at the rear in the docks.

Prosecutor Mr Newton-Price QC then paid tribute to the hard work and contributions from Hampshire Constabulary.

It marked the end of the murder trial, which entered its fourth week this week.

13:13EMMA PENGELLY
Sentencing details
For further details on the sentencing handed to Mays, follow our link below.

Murderer Shane Mays sentenced to 25 years minimum behind bars

Murdered teenager Louise Smith's 'predatory' uncle is jailed for at least 25 years | Daily Mail Online

Can't remember reading in the updates he had a personality disorder. Do anger management issues qualify as a PD?

I guess the assessment experts have concluded that his anger issues were related to BPD and they have categorised him accordingly.

Intense, inappropriate anger is one of the most troubling symptoms of borderline personality disorder (BPD). In fact, it's so intense that it's often referred to as “borderline rage.”

Personally I just think he's a nasty piece of *** who has been this way for a long time ( reading his social pages shows that ).

From Rebbecca's statement

You came to my house the day you killed her, looked me in the eyes with no remorse when you knew what you had done was pure evil.

I know I should not be surprised, but to be able to do this, after killing her daughter -and then happily going off for pizza.

From Rebbecca's statement

You came to my house the day you killed her, looked me in the eyes with no remorse when you knew what you had done was pure evil.

I know I should not be surprised, but to be able to do this, after killing her daughter -and then happily going off for pizza.

Sounds as if he is a psychopath.

I guess the assessment experts have concluded that his anger issues were related to BPD and they have categorised him accordingly.

Intense, inappropriate anger is one of the most troubling symptoms of borderline personality disorder (BPD). In fact, it's so intense that it's often referred to as “borderline rage.”

Personally I just think he's a nasty piece of *** who has been this way for a long time ( reading his social pages shows that ).
I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, nasty can't be cured.

I found this as well: Intermittent explosive disorder - Wikipedia

Hopefully he will spend the next 25 years (at least) being "bord" in prison.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, nasty can't be cured.

I found this as well: Intermittent explosive disorder - Wikipedia

Hopefully he will spend the next 25 years (at least) being "bord" in prison.

I think he will have no problems fitting in with prison life. He will be given a new Xbox to play his games on .
He will probably managed to get his hands on some drugs and illicit alcohol. Be like a long holiday for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back