Israel Keyes: General Discussion

No, Stephanie hasn't been mentioned in the podcast that I'm aware of, but hmmmm, that is interesting!

But yes, it is very clear when Keyes is up to no good. When he's traveling to strange places, racking up large mileage on his rental cars, him turning his phone off during his travels etc.

FBI Requests the Public’s Assistance in Case of Serial Killer Israel Keyes

The FBI released this press release of some of Keyes travels. Two trips in particular are marked as trips where LE believes Keyes may have engaged in criminal activity.
  • October 31, 2008 to November 5, 2008: Keyes flew to Seattle following travel to multiple other states, including North Dakota and Arizona. On October 31, Keyes rented a car (2008 PT Cruiser) in Seattle. On November 2, 2008, Keyes flew from Seattle to Boston. He returned to Seattle and flew back to Anchorage on November 5, 2008. Law enforcement believes Keyes may have engaged in criminal activity on this trip and is seeking any information about Keyes activities during this timeframe.
  • July 9, 2010 to July 12, 2010: Keyes flew from Anchorage to Sacramento, California and traveled to Auburn, California. He rented a vehicle (black Ford Focus) and drove approximately 280 miles during the three days. Law enforcement believes Keyes may have engaged in criminal activity during this travel and is seeking any information about Keyes activities during this trip.

I so wish I had some idea of what it is about those two specific trips that LE is so dialed in on beyond all the others, especially because on the surface those two seem diametrically opposed to one another.

Like, to me the first one you listed is probably the most bonkers trip on the entire timeline (the two that I find the strangest are that one and the 04 New Hampshire trip I mentioned before), but solely based on the travel logistics the CA trip appears to be one of the most normal/innocuous.

Obviously the FBI highlights those particular trips for reasons much, much deeper than the itineraries themselves, and obviously those reasons are none of my business. But man it makes me wonder.

"Keyes provided additional details regarding the abduction and murder of a female. The female is described as having pale skin, possibly having a wealthy grandmother, and driving an older car at the time of her abduction."

i feel like this is enough info that someone could know of a missing person who fits this description??? although what exactly is meant by "older" car? there's a difference between a car being like 15 years old or something and being a "classic"

So, I went back and considered the timeline again in relation to Lauren Spierer, and if Keyes was able to get a morning direct flight from AK to IL (not necessarily a given, but I have no idea how to confirm or deny the possibility) then it definitely would have been possible. If it was like a 5am or 6am flight the timeline wouldn't even be that tight, he could have been in Bloomington by 10pm on 6/2.

I also realized two factors that I hadn't considered before that, taken together, make it more likely that Keyes was involved:

a.) ALL of Keyes' toll transactions were on 6/3 (rather than some being on 6/2)
b.) the fastest route from Chicago to Bloomington does NOT involve taking I-90 in Indiana

We don't know when Keyes landed in Chicago on 6/2, but unless he arrived at say 10pm or later, he would have hit tolls on 6/2 if he drove straight across. To me this makes it a strong possibility that he did NOT go directly to the toll road after landing in Chicago. (Of course he also could have just arrived in Chicago and crashed for the night like a normal person, but, unlike in VT days later, there's no indication of him booking a hotel on the timeline).

ETA: the more I look at it, the timeline for traveling to Vermont makes no sense unless Keyes made at least some kind of side trip en route. Even if he stayed in Chicago on 6/2, and only drove 8 hours a day thereafter (which is NOT like him to begin with) he should have arrived in VT late afternoon or evening on 6/4, rather than on 6/5. He has a LOT of time unaccounted for between 6/2 and 6/5.

I changed my mind, now I'm at least 50/50 that Keyes actually did do it. And the fact that the FBI withheld files on the case, plus their knowing the times and locations of the toll transactions, suggests to me that they feel pretty strongly that he did too.

He had a sister who lived outside Fort Wayne along the OH line, Harlan area. Which might explain a side trip.

JMO

The toll road dates are a really good point. I wonder if there is any information available about the time he landed in Illinois. I also find it curious that those toll road charges are even on the timeline - forgive my ignorance, but I have no knowledge of toll roads at all. Is using cash an option? Did he use a credit card so that he could be placed far away from the crime he had just committed? The charges definitely tighten up his timeline with the illusion of an alibi, which is a big part of his MO.

As for the extra time between landing in Illinos and the Currier abduction, IK also visited his mother in Harlan, Indiana before heading to VT, so that accounts for some of that time.

I have been taking notes while listening to TCBS every time anything comes up about Lauren Spierer. Here are some extra things that I can add, all sourced from TCBS:

- Keyes' MO is to travel somewhere first to place a kill kit and scope it out, usually near the home of a family member. IK was in Indiana in December 2007 during a warm winter, making it possible that he was able to dig a hole to bury a kill kit. Or perhaps if he was unable to dig, he could have placed it concealed above land like he did with his Blake Falls Reservoir kit. On this December 2007 trip, he rented a vehicle from Fort Wayne, IN and put 537 miles on it. Perhaps he placed a kit in the Hoosier National Forest. A round trip from Fort Wayne through Bloomington and into the Hoosier forest would account for much of that mileage. If Keyes is responsible for the Seymour, IN bank robbery on April 8/10 (I believe he is), he also might have used this same kill kit for that robbery and for two additional kidnappings in the following days on a 2010 trip.

- LS was abducted 3 hours from IK's mother's home in Harlan. Keyes went back to Indiana to visit his mother within a week of Lauren's disappearance.
Keyes' MO also included revisiting an area where he had discarded a victim before much time had passed. Just my own speculation here: Perhaps this revisiting is to revel in his crime and just *be* in the place where a body is, but I suspect this could be to necrophile or move a body, or just check on it. He did this with SK (hid her body and disposed of it weeks later, with sightings of him visiting Matanuska Lake following the finished disposal), and he did this with the Curriers (drove past the Curriers' area to see what was going on within a short time of their abduction).

- In IK's own words, he was planning to "go all out" when he was doing the Currier abduction. In my opinion, this sounds like it could be a "last hurrah" for someone who is about to be caught. I wonder *if* he did abduct Lauren, maybe he felt like he did a sloppy job and was going to be caught. There were reports released by a PI in Lauren's case which stated that the last man to see her alive may have seen a figure in the shadows intercept her as she was walking away. Of course, we take that with a grain of salt. However, if Lauren's friend's account is to be believed, maybe he saw IK. Maybe IK felt certain that he was seen. Perhaps this is why he used this Indiana toll road as a desperate attempt at placing himself as far away as he could be, as quickly as possible, while still appearing to head in the right direction to his mother's house in Harlan.

- IK had a "thing" for abducting couples. If you believe he picked and stalked the Curriers long before the abduction, then you might agree that he already had male/female couple on his mind during this trip. It is possible that if IK was staking out a nearby parking lot, maybe he heard LS walk past with her male friend and say something like, "OK let's go to your house for a bit, but can you walk me home soon? I don't want to stay over." This is obviously 100% my own thoughts and speculation, but if IK overheard something like this, he could have been plotting and waiting for LS and her male friend. Whenever LS emerged, he went for it.

- Alright, sorry this post is so dang long. One last thing that I have been thinking: LS was abducted near a Waffle House. When IK abducted Samantha, he parked in a large lot near an IHOP. This point is a stretch, but maybe he knew that he could stake out a 24 hr breakfast spot to stalk victims without drawing attention. Maybe he first spotted LS because he was hanging out near a Waffle House.

I'd love to hear if anything has anything to add/refute about this!!

I think you're on to something, it may apply to the LS case or it may not, but at any rate a WH stood mere blocks from IU until 2013:

Photos: Waffle House closes doors after 46 years | Local | hoosiertimes.com

Yo @Murkywaters does the name Stephanie Lynn Lewis by chance pop up in your TCBS archive? From Lumberton, North Carolina?

I've long been very curious about Keyes' October 2004 trip to New Hampshire and am sure he was up to something, but when I checked into it years ago Charley Project was a dead end. But I rechecked on a lark yesterday and Stephanie was added more recently.

Stephanie Lynn Lewis – The Charley Project

(She also has a WS thread but it's super old and only has a couple posts).

The timing and mileage lines up tightly with Keyes' trip (10/6-10/16; Stephanie disappeared 10/12, Keyes traveled 1745 miles and Lumberton NC is ~1640 round trip).

There's minimal info on her disappearance, but she disappeared after leaving work at a Days Inn (the general type of hotel Keyes preferred in his travels), and she was apparently looking for a ride to Virginia, which happened to be the direction Keyes eventually needed to go anyway.

I feel pretty confident that if she's a possible victim she would be on the FBI's radar, just because the only way Keyes could have made it to Lumberton and back within the mileage he logged would have been to take I-95, which has tolls (!!) along much of the route that could place him in the general NC area.

Thoughts?

My theory about his New Hampshire trips is felt comfortable in the woods and small towns, there, and it was fairly close to Constable, NY.

The post in the "Possible Sightings" section where a gal relates an encounter they had at a nice park in NH gives me chills, I think he was unable to kill on some of his 'outings', so he had to quickly change tactics, terrain, MO, etc., to get his kill fix.

JMO

My theory about his New Hampshire trips is felt comfortable in the woods and small towns, there, and it was fairly close to Constable, NY.

The post in the "Possible Sightings" section where a gal relates an encounter they had at a nice park in NH gives me chills, I think he was unable to kill on some of his 'outings', so he had to quickly change tactics, terrain, MO, etc., to get his kill fix.

JMO

I mostly agree with this, but that particular trip feels different to me.

1745 miles is a TON of driving to do within a relatively small geographical area (New England and upstate NY). None of his other trips to that area have even close to that level of mileage (the closest is just over 1000, on the trip where Keyes killed Debra Feldman and robbed the Tupper Lake bank), and it's also the only trip on the timeline anywhere prior to 2007 with mileage in that range.

Something was up on that trip, although obviously it's impossible to say whether he actually did kill someone then. I think either way it's likely that he killed someone, probably in the PNW, shortly before going to New Hampshire.

I don't have a good sense of who that might be; on Charley Project only Glenn Pennie fits timing and location wise (and he does fit those things very well), but it sounds like there's a POI and a pretty good idea of what happened in his case.

Glenn Warren Pennie – The Charley Project

Another possibility for a PNW victim prior to the New Hampshire trip: Richard Lee, camper/hiker that went missing in the Wenatchee National Forest around 9/9/04.

Hiker missing

He's not on Charley Project or NAMUS. I was aware of him before and thought he could potentially be a Keyes victim but never put 2 + 2 together on the timing. It's not super close timing-wise to his NH trip like Glenn Pennie, but it is within a month.

For what it's worth, the place he went missing is relatively close to Ellensburg, and even closer (maybe 15 miles as the crow flies, although quite a bit further by road) to where Gregrey Brown disappeared the following year.

Consider this next part RUMOR because I can't find a MSM source for it right now, but apparently during the search his campsite was found and appeared undisturbed, Richard was just gone.

Another possibility for a PNW victim prior to the New Hampshire trip: Richard Lee, camper/hiker that went missing in the Wenatchee National Forest around 9/9/04.

Hiker missing

He's not on Charley Project or NAMUS. I was aware of him before and thought he could potentially be a Keyes victim but never put 2 + 2 together on the timing. It's not super close timing-wise to his NH trip like Glenn Pennie, but it is within a month.

For what it's worth, the place he went missing is relatively close to Ellensburg, and even closer (maybe 15 miles as the crow flies, although quite a bit further by road) to where Gregrey Brown disappeared the following year.

Consider this next part RUMOR because I can't find a MSM source for it right now, but apparently during the search his campsite was found and appeared undisturbed, Richard was just gone.

In my mind, the latter fits in perfectly with a IK-type attack.

JMO

Reactions: dub
https://player.fm/series/true-crime-bullsh/ep-0405-mythology

The latest episode is interesting. It discusses one of Keyes ''dark spots'' and its possible connection to a victim. There was a married couple in Neah Bay which Keyes and Kimberly apparently spent a lot of time with camping, fishing, and hanging out etc. Considering their friendship, the wife told investigators she thought it was strange Keyes was notably absent from her anniversary party on March 28, 04, 05, or 06. The woman wasn't sure of the year. However, Josh discovered 2004 is probably the year she was referring to as it is the only year where Keyes can't be placed anywhere on March 28th. Additionally, March 28, 2004 is the only year where the party could have occurred on a weekend.

Well, March 28, 2004 was the date where a Makah woman who used to live in Neah Bay went missing from Tacoma, WA. Her name was Giovanna Tyler. Giovanna Katie Tyler – The Charley Project Giovanna was the victim of horrible domestic violence at the hands of her husband at the time of her disappearance, and sought an order of protection against him in 2003. He has allegedly been cooperative with the investigation.

Now here where it gets interesting, Keyes and Giovanna very well may have known each other. They lived in the same tight knit community (Neah Bay) had kids the same age and lived less than 1000 ft apart. Also... Curiously on the evening of February 29, 2004 Tammy and Keyes got in a physical fight after she caught him messaging with an unknown woman. Police were called and Keyes was taken to the Makah Tribal Police station for a domestic violence incident report. That very same night, Giovanna was pulled over in Neah Bay for driving with a suspended license and was taken to the Makah Tribal Police station as well. Giovanna Tyler and Israel Keyes sat in the same tiny, Tribal police station on the same night. A month later, Giovanna disappeared on a night where Keyes can't be accounted for.

"Keyes provided additional details regarding the abduction and murder of a female. The female is described as having pale skin, possibly having a wealthy grandmother, and driving an older car at the time of her abduction."

i feel like this is enough info that someone could know of a missing person who fits this description??? although what exactly is meant by "older" car? there's a difference between a car being like 15 years old or something and being a "classic"

I've been looking into this and I think, based on the description and potential connections to NAMUS 44, there's a possibility this could be referring to Anita Scott.

Anita Scott – The Charley Project

-She definitely appears to have "pale skin"

-She had not a wealthy grandmother, but a wealthy uncle, who left her millions of dollars when he died

-She drove a '86 Volkswagen, which is notably kind of odd for someone of her age and means (and we also know that Keyes specifically differentiated between newer and older style VW's from his description of the "newer" VW bug that his near-victim in Vermont drove)

And she could be linked to the NAMUS 44 as follows:

-Richard Petrone and Danielle Imbo disappeared on 2/19 or early 2/20 of 2005, from Philadelphia

-Anita disappeared on 2/20/2003, from just outside Philadelphia, and her car was subsequently found in Philadelphia

-(slightly more tenuous) Tony Luzio from NAMUS 44 disappeared from Delaware County, Ohio; Anita disappeared from Delaware County, Pennsylvania

I am up to date on TCBS now, but I didn't write down the timeline of when Keyes is/isn't accounted for outside of the FBI timeline, so I'm not sure if her disappearance clashes with those dates, but as far as I know it does not. I do know, though, that Josh strongly believes there is at least one unknown victim from PA, although his rationale for that was somewhat more vague than most of his strong beliefs related to Keyes.

Thoughts?

I've been looking into this and I think, based on the description and potential connections to NAMUS 44, there's a possibility this could be referring to Anita Scott.

-She had not a wealthy grandmother, but a wealthy uncle, who left her millions of dollars when he died

-She drove a '86 Volkswagen, which is notably kind of odd for someone of her age and means (and we also know that Keyes specifically differentiated between newer and older style VW's from his description of the "newer" VW bug that his near-victim in Vermont drove)

-Richard Petrone and Danielle Imbo disappeared on 2/19 or early 2/20 of 2005, from Philadelphia

-Anita disappeared on 2/20/2003, from just outside Philadelphia, and her car was subsequently found in Philadelphia

-(slightly more tenuous) Tony Luzio from NAMUS 44 disappeared from Delaware County, Ohio; Anita disappeared from Delaware County, Pennsylvania

I am up to date on TCBS now, but I didn't write down the timeline of when Keyes is/isn't accounted for outside of the FBI timeline, so I'm not sure if her disappearance clashes with those dates, but as far as I know it does not. I do know, though, that Josh strongly believes there is at least one unknown victim from PA, although his rationale for that was somewhat more vague than most of his strong beliefs related to Keyes.

Thoughts?

Sorry, only seeing this now. Hmmmm! I think Anita sounds like a good possibility for the victim Keyes was describing. The fact Anita disappeared while driving and her car later being found in Philadelphia is quite interesting as Keyes is known for having stalked and followed victims whilst they were driving. He also stated he would move cars long distances to throw off LE. Also, the novel Intensity, by Deal Koontz which Keyes claimed to have gotten ideas from involves the antagonist driving victims off the road.

You should email Josh regarding Anita, he might be able to look into further.

Sorry, only seeing this now. Hmmmm! I think Anita sounds like a good possibility for the victim Keyes was describing. The fact Anita disappeared while driving and her car later being found in Philadelphia is quite interesting as Keyes is known for having stalked and followed victims whilst they were driving. He also stated he would move cars long distances to throw off LE. Also, the novel Intensity, by Deal Koontz which Keyes claimed to have gotten ideas from involves the antagonist driving victims off the road.

You should email Josh regarding Anita, he might be able to look into further.

I just emailed Josh, I'll update if I hear anything back.

I thought about it for a while, and what pushed me over the edge to email him is I realized there's another possible NAMUS 44 connection--Jennifer Marcum, who disappeared just three days before Anita--and I'm pretty sure I remember Josh saying on the podcast that he couldn't rule Keyes out on JM based on known whereabouts (which would mean there's a good chance he couldn't rule him out on Anita either).

Thoughts?

ah very interesting! good find. i think she's definitely a possibility.

i had forgotten about Richard and Danielle being on the NAMUS 44....do we think it's a possibility he was involved in that disappearance, or they were one of those he just happened upon while searching his victims?

ah very interesting! good find. i think she's definitely a possibility.

i had forgotten about Richard and Danielle being on the NAMUS 44....do we think it's a possibility he was involved in that disappearance, or they were one of those he just happened upon while searching his victims?

I'm torn on Richard and Danielle as potential Keyes victims.

My gut feeling has always been that Keyes was not involved, but I've never seen anything suggesting he could be conclusively ruled out, and consider it an outside possibility.

I do think they are among the more likely actual victims in the NAMUS 44, but still I'm like 85/15 against.

I've always wondered how many of the crimes attributed to Keyes actually happened or were his doing. Anyone can read the paper and get small details about murders. But when there is no body or crime scene? I know he killed Samantha that is quite obvious, but so many other crimes connected to him came from his boasting during interviews giving little snippets of information. Was LEO trying to close cold cases similar to the dozens Henry Lee Lucas confessed to? The fact that he committed suicide seems so out of character for a man that considered himself smarter than most like Ted Bundy did. Narcissists rarely feel responsible for anything but they love publicity

I've always wondered how many of the crimes attributed to Keyes actually happened or were his doing. Anyone can read the paper and get small details about murders. But when there is no body or crime scene? I know he killed Samantha that is quite obvious, but so many other crimes connected to him came from his boasting during interviews giving little snippets of information. Was LEO trying to close cold cases similar to the dozens Henry Lee Lucas confessed to? The fact that he committed suicide seems so out of character for a man that considered himself smarter than most like Ted Bundy did. Narcissists rarely feel responsible for anything but they love publicity

I don’t think he felt remorse or guilt about the people he murdered. I just think he relished the fact that LE needed something from him and wanted to go out while he still had the upper hand.

The difference between someone like Keyes and someone like Bundy is that I really believe he loved his daughter in his own way. He truly didn’t want his crimes made known to the public or his name in the press because he didn’t want his daughter to suffer for his crimes. He didn’t want her life to be defined by her connection to him. When it became obvious to Keyes that the FBI couldn’t prevent the press from digging around, he killed himself and took the information with him to the grave.

If you look at the FBI interviews (or even just the timeline of those interviews), you can see when and why he really gave up.

March 30 - the first time Keyes reveals that he has “more to tell” and talks about this other life he lives that his family doesn’t know about

April 1 - gives the details about SK’s abduction and murder

April 2 - offers up just enough information to confirm he’s telling the truth about killing the Curriers; says he’s willing to lead the FBI to their bodies and the bodies of other victims if certain conditions are met and expedited

April 6 - gives detailed information about the abduction and murder of the Curriers

May 24 - voices his frustration regarding a communication breakdown and expresses concern about media attention

May 29 - FBI presents Keyes with a letter from VT saying they will agree not to prosecute him on a state level so long as he continues to give the FBI information about his other victims; Keyes said he wasn’t willing to talk about his other victims yet

(Keyes was concerned that if he gave the FBI information about his victims in various states that state prosecutors would want him tried on a state level — which would drag on for years and years and he wouldn’t get a speedy execution.)

June 1 - FBI submits request for interview but Keyes declines

June 14 - FBI submits request for interview but Keyes declines

June 29 - FBI submits request for interview but Keyes declines

July 20 - FBI presents Keyes with a press agreement with VT; Keyes says he will have to research the agreement terms and respond

July 26 - FBI attempts to interview Keyes but he is agitated; says he’s bored and not happy about the press in VT

August 1 - FBI submits request for interview but Keyes declines

This information comes from my personal notes while going thru the public FBI documents. I don’t have anything else regarding the interviews after August and then he committed suicide in December.

I just finished the most recent episode of TCB and all I can say is WOW!! I am so very impressed with the research and their ability to find needles in haystacks and connect the dots! The amount of time and effort put into this work must be staggering, and I hope they know how much it’s valued and appreciated by justice seekers like ourselves.

this is something i've grappled with. i generally feel that his interviews with the FBI were truthful, however this is someone who was a manipulative psychopath who enjoyed toying with people. So when i listen to the tapes i'm left thinking "is this truth, or was he messing with the interrogators and purposely leading them astray?" it's something we're very unlikely to ever know.

this is something i've grappled with. i generally feel that his interviews with the FBI were truthful, however this is someone who was a manipulative psychopath who enjoyed toying with people. So when i listen to the tapes i'm left thinking "is this truth, or was he messing with the interrogators and purposely leading them astray?" it's something we're very unlikely to ever know.

I think it's both.

His conscience was finally getting to him, so I think he wanted to do roundabout confessions of sorts. At the same time, he had to have some semblance of control over the situation, meaning the FBI wanted information but he was going to be stingy about what he revealed. Obvious to me he was uncomfortable with talking about some of the murders, too, so it's like he wanted to talk, but his nature and general mentality was still mostly in control of his mind.

JMO

Bump! Since the last post there have been two more episodes of TCB that have dropped.

https://player.fm/series/true-crime-bullsh/ep-0408-bodies-pt-1

The latest episode discusses particular UID's in Washington that could be related to Keys, two however are of particular interest

WA - WA - Lake Tapps, human remains found at vacant lot, 28 August 2019 This is the first Doe that is discussed. Skeletal remains of a white female estimated to be 18-50 in age was discovered by construction workers on a abandoned property in Lake Tapps, WA on Aug 28, 2019. The workers were on site to demolish an abandoned trailer home on the property. They workers found a recycling bin which was too heavy to move, when they emptied the contents that's when they found the remains.

Josh's team tried to determine when its likely the remains were dumped at the location. By looking at the property from Google Earth, it appears well occupied in June 2002, but by March 2005 the property started looking less and less occupied. They estimate the body likely may have been placed on the property sometime between 2004-2008.

- Lake Tapps is less than 30 miles from Fort Lewis where Keyes was stationed.

- Cell phone pings place Keyes driving past Lake Tapps on Oct 21, 2004.

- Trailer homes come up multiple times in Keyes FBI interviews, with him setting one on fire, breaking and entering and even staying in one for short while. Real estate images show the Lake Tapps trailer was broken into sometime between 2003-2018 with the rear sliding glass door being shattered.

- Unfortunately, there are zero rule-outs on NamUs for this Jane Doe. It would be interesting to know whether Giovanna Katie Tyler has been ruled out.

Below are photos of the property where the remains were discovered.

9th Street E., near Evergreen Point, Lake Tapps, WA

Attachments

• 141493915_10158011426526295_3519589939887975497_o.jpg
    141493915_10158011426526295_3519589939887975497_o.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 141539803_10158011426691295_221006000389637332_o.jpg
    141539803_10158011426691295_221006000389637332_o.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 141560875_10158011426761295_3344736362094250601_o.jpg
    141560875_10158011426761295_3344736362094250601_o.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 141633985_10158011426491295_4422880437194376983_o.jpg