Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse my crap photo of my laptop screen, and wonky writing (a technical whizz I am not!). I think this was her planned route.

A - Plan d’Estan where she was dropped off the previous day (and maybe returned to sleep - unconfirmed)

B - Port de Venasque which is the cut through, or “doorway” through the mountains. Fun fact: This was detonated with explosives to form a trading route between France and Spain.

C - Pic de Sauvegarde where Esther was last known to be. She’d have to climb up to the peak and back down the same way to the doorway to continue the trail.

D - Refuge de Venasque where Esther was planning to stay.

E - Pic de la Glere, the last stop on her plan

F - Llanos del Hospital is a ski resort where I think she would have ended her trip, before getting a lift back to her van in Benasque.

View attachment 275499

Success! thanks,

So it is possible (although IMO not likely) someone could have been coming from the opposite direction on the main trail.

Yes, there could have been someone coming from the refuge direction, who she could have bumped into on her way to it.

But it’s unlikely anyone else was actually up Sauvegarde when she was up there or the skier would have seen them. And she climbed it because she wanted to, not because she needed to.

The problem is, without any witnesses, we don’t know if she fell off Sauvegarde, or whether she successfully descended and something else happened at or on the way to the refuge.

Excuse my crap photo of my laptop screen, and wonky writing (a technical whizz I am not!). I think this was her planned route.

A - Plan d’Estan where she was dropped off the previous day (and maybe returned to sleep - unconfirmed)

B - Port de Venasque which is the cut through, or “doorway” through the mountains. Fun fact: This was detonated with explosives to form a trading route between France and Spain.

C - Pic de Sauvegarde where Esther was last known to be. She’d have to climb up to the peak and back down the same way to the doorway at B to continue the trail.

D - Refuge de Venasque where Esther was planning to stay that first night.

E - Pic de la Glere, the last stop on her plan having followed an anti-clockwise loop.

F - Llanos del Hospital is a ski resort where I think she would have ended her trip, before getting a lift back to her van in Benasque.

View attachment 275499

She was planning to stay in the Refuge de Venasque the second night (22 November). She went up to the mountains and got a ride from Mr Ballarín on 21 November, the day before. We don't know where she slept the night from 21 to 22 as far as I am aware.

She was planning to stay in the Refuge de Venasque the second night (22 November). She went up to the mountains and got a ride from Mr Ballarín on 21 November, the day before. We don't know where she slept the night from 21 to 22 as far as I am aware.

Sorry, yes, I meant the 22nd but was counting it as day 1 since we don’t know where she stayed on 21st. I figured 21st was just a day walk to scope out the area before setting off properly on 22nd.

A few pages ago in this several people mentioned again that she went up Pic de Sauvegarde on both 19th and 22nd. I posted about this earlier but would point out the evidence she was up there on 19th is absent. She said on 19th she was up a 2550m mountain. That is not Sauvegarde which has a higher peak elevation.

Searching the local mountains I spotted Agujas de Perramo is 2550m on the north side of the valley up from Benasque (less far than Sauvegarde) and I think it was up this that she got caught out by poor weather and came down with someone and got a lift back to Benasque.

I hypothesise after her poor weather encounter in 19th she hung around in Benasque recovering and refuelling before heading back up the valley from Benasque on 22nd and he fact she was seen starting up Sauvgarde late in the day indicates she had hiked up from Benasque

It would also make less sense for her to go up Sauvegarde twice (why tick that off the list twice ?)

I am new here, so first off hi ‍♀️

something has been playing on my mind and that is this photo Login • Instagram

it’s attached to the Instagram post about making the right decision and turning back taking a lift with the mystery hiker, when the rainbow appeared..

anyway, you will notice in the foreground what looks like the top of a red cap.

I’ve been trying to see a connection with other hikers and other photos and who this cap could belong to.

Tonight I spotted on D&Es Facebook page.. that Dan has a similar cap. He’s seen wearing it in pictures taken and posted between 4th October and 30th of September, as is Esther.

Does anyone else see this.. the Instagram post linked above couldn’t have been a selfie I don’t think as the top of the cap looks far from the camera but maybe...

Welcome!

My word you have a keen eye... it's taken me a while but do you mean this pic (original pic and zoomed in).

7B2E7CCA-72C3-41E8-9260-9C2814631A46.jpeg 2F8C561A-BEF5-426D-AA06-1398FF3EB986.jpeg

A few pages ago in this several people mentioned again that she went up Pic de Sauvegarde on both 19th and 22nd. I posted about this earlier but would point out the evidence she was up there on 19th is absent. She said on 19th she was up a 2550m mountain. That is not Sauvegarde which has a higher peak elevation.

Searching the local mountains I spotted Agujas de Perramo is 2550m on the north side of the valley up from Benasque (less far than Sauvegarde) and I think it was up this that she got caught out by poor weather and came down with someone and got a lift back to Benasque.

I hypothesise after her poor weather encounter in 19th she hung around in Benasque recovering and refuelling before heading back up the valley from Benasque on 22nd and he fact she was seen starting up Sauvgarde late in the day indicates she had hiked up from Benasque

It would also make less sense for her to go up Sauvegarde twice (why tick that off the list twice ?)

She posted photos of herself at the top of Sauvegard on Saturday 21st, on Instagram.

19th - can't recall where she climbed but that was the day the hiker gave her a lift down
20th - we don't know what she was doing
21st - lift up to the trail head with Ballarin. Climbed Sauvegard. Unclear where she slept that night.
22nd - Started trail again, climbed Sauvegard again, vanished.

To reinforce my earlier point that she was not up Sauvegarde on 19th, one of her posted photos of a refuge on that day is definitely of Cabaña de Literola. There are online photos of the place that match her photo ( she presumably photographed this on her way up or down that day). That is not very near Sauvegarde.

To reinforce my earlier point that she was not up Sauvegarde on 19th, one of her posted photos of a refuge on that day is definitely of Cabaña de Literola. There are online photos of the place that match her photo ( she presumably photographed this on her way up or down that day). That is not very near Sauvegarde.

I don't think anyone has said she was up Sauvegarde on 19th, have they?

We know she wasn't there until 21st.

I think the "cap" is in fact a road sign or something, as she said "and then as we drove off this magnificent rainbow appeared"[

I think you’re right.. it’s shape is too precise to be a cap .. too perfect.. so probably a road sign or something similar. I would never have spotted it though!!

Ah..possibly

I think this is the same spot, you can see the sign. If you fancy checking, look for Parking Literola on the map and muck about with street view until the mountains align (obviously can't get the exact angle!)

C0C80BB2-889C-4BFC-BC20-C5E4E4145098.jpeg94EA16E1-667D-4F6F-8AEF-515E43792D56.jpeg

Well done though, thanks to clues from @EDImath and @Kike76, we now know this is where mystery hiker was parked up!!! Another bit of the jigsaw.

Last edited:
I think this is the same spot, you can see the sign. If you fancy checking, look for Parking Literola on the map and muck about with street view until the mountains align.

View attachment 275504

Well done though, we now know this is where mystery hiker was parked up!!! Another bit of the jigsaw.
That’s a very good piece!!!! Absolutely the same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304