TN - Boy, 2, abandoned with note at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi, 14 Dec 2020 *arrest*

When I first saw this story this morning my immediate reaction was anger, but then I thought about all the kids we read about who suffer a much worse fate. I’m glad he’s safe at least. I hope someone out there will give this baby the good home he deserves.

I’ve always wondered why there are no options there are for parents (usually mothers) who become unable to care for their children. We have Safe Haven laws for newborns, but what about older children? I agree, there would be a lot fewer child murders or abuse cases if parents who can’t or don’t want to care for their kid had a safe alternative. I know it would be very costly, and likely have the same problems we already see in many child protective services, but I’m happy to be reading about this boy being alive instead of at the bottom of a swimming pool or thrown in a dumpster. I pray he is placed with a loving family.
There are many options for parents who are struggling to feed and care for babies. The problem is that one needs to work WITH the social workers and fill out paperwork, etc. It takes some effort.

There is emergency aid to families with children available to everyone. But if someone is drinking and using drugs heavily, it may be out of reach to them if they cannot take the steps to get the aid.

So some parents don't follow through and take advantage of the programs available.

Boy, 2, abandoned with note at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi
Boy-2.jpg

An unidentified child, 2, is shown in this handout photo from police in Southaven, Miss., on Dec. 14, 2020. Southaven Police Department/Facebook

''A two-year-old boy was abandoned at a Goodwill store’s drop-off point in Southaven, Miss., on Monday morning, according to local police.

The child was found at 9:40 a.m. Monday alongside a change of clothes and a note. “His mother cannot take care of him anymore,” the note said, according to local station Fox 13.

The child was not wearing socks and the temperature outside was close to freezing.

Goodwill staff turned the boy over to police, and he was later placed with Child Protective Services (CPS).''

"The suspect “dropped the child off with a plastic bag containing a change of clothes and a note,” police said. Then he walked away.

Police announced on Monday afternoon that a suspect had been arrested in the case. They did not reveal the suspect’s identity or the nature of the potential charges.

They also told local media that they know the child’s name, though they did not release it.''

Aww. Poor little darling! I hope his mother is safe.

It took courage to drop him off at Goodwill - a place known to help people, a place with several people around to assist- instead of just keeping him alone in a room continuously neglected or worse. The people who dropped him off are probably good people who are just not in a position to care for a child. IMO.

Maybe. But the man looks Caucasian and the woman looks to have lighter skin. Neither are as dark as the baby. I’m thinking these may not be the parents.

I’ve always wondered why there are no options there are for parents (usually mothers) who become unable to care for their children. We have Safe Haven laws for newborns, but what about older children? I agree, there would be a lot fewer child murders or abuse cases if parents who can’t or don’t want to care for their kid had a safe alternative. I know it would be very costly, and likely have the same problems we already see in many child protective services, but I’m happy to be reading about this boy being alive instead of at the bottom of a swimming pool or thrown in a dumpster. I pray he is placed with a loving family.
There are many options for parents who are struggling to feed and care for babies. The problem is that one needs to work WITH the social workers and fill out paperwork, etc. It takes some effort.

There is emergency aid to families with children available to everyone. But if someone is drinking and using drugs heavily, it may be out of reach to them if they cannot take the steps to get the aid.

So some parents don't follow through and take advantage of the programs available.

There are options available. One can give their child up for adoption. OR they can apply for emergency services and Aid to Dependent Children benefits.

The problem in this case was that the couple dropping him off were probably not his legal guardians or bio-parents. So that option was not available to them.

There are options available. One can give their child up for adoption. OR they can apply for emergency services and Aid to Dependent Children benefits.

The problem in this case was that the couple dropping him off were probably not his legal guardians or bio-parents. So that option was not available to them.

That’s what I’m thinking. If they’re not, where are his parents?

rbbm.
A 2-year-old was abandoned at a Goodwill with a note and a bag of clothes - CNN
"There are three different agencies currently working this case," Moore said in a statement to CNN. "There could potentially be other suspects involved this case and is still being investigated."
Moore said the young boy is in good spirits and will be reunited with family when Child Protective Services "determines it proper."

"I would like to thank all of the citizens who showed concern for the child, rest assured he is well," Moore said on Facebook. "Thank you to all of the citizens who offered tips regarding the suspects in this case. The cooperation from the community and a unified effort from law Enforcement led to the speedy apprehension of suspects."

Not directed at you Katy, and not entirely related to this little boy, just jumping off with some thoughts.

Placing an older child up for adoption isn’t as easy or as socially acceptable as placing a newborn. It’s an uncomfortable thought, but what if a person decides at age 2 or 5 or 9 that they do not want to or cannot be a parent? What if there is no extended family to help? We already know that the older a child is, the lower their chance of being adopted. The foster care and social services systems are woefully understaffed and under funded and way too often we see older kids suffer the consequences. And the trauma an older child would experience would require a special kind of family who is willing and able to provide the lifetime support he/she would likely need. Isn’t that better than the death and severe neglect we see around here?

I recall the story that made the news cycle in 2012 of a woman who adopted a boy from Russia and several years later decided to “give him back”. She was vilified. Some people should never have children and will never be even a decent parent, but when they do, what should happen to the innocent child?

Last edited:
Hmmmm, after thinking about this update for just a moment, I'm thinking the full true story is still yet to be told but no matter what it is, this still remains a "child abandoned at Goodwill" thread and not a "what happened to missing adorable little boy?" thread.

Here especially we know how this could have gone, if there is even some truth in his alleged mother's story.

The boy was dropped off at the Goodwill on Stateline Road around 9:50 a.m. Surveillance video shows the boy arriving at the gas station next door in a red SUV with two men and a woman. One of the men then walks him to the Goodwill.

“Asked if can we take the baby in ‘cause the mother abandoned him,” said a Goodwill employee who only wanted to be identified as David.

Abandoned boy’s mother claims he was kidnapped by man who tried to prostitute her

Names Initialed by me.
Woman Who Claims to Be Abandoned Boy's Mom Says He Was Taken by Man Who Tried to Prostitute Her
''The woman, Antoinette S., said she had no intention of leaving the child, whom she identified as S., according to a Facebook Live interview she gave over the phone to an activist from the woman's hometown of Memphis, reports Memphis TV station WREG.

S.said that on Sunday, she had traveled from Memphis to Nashville with a male acquaintance, leaving the child behind in Memphis with someone that she believed to be the man's sister. She said the man — whom she did not name — later revealed that the "sister" was actually his girlfriend.

“If I knew that, I said I wouldn’t have left my baby like that," Smith said.

She claimed the man, whom she did not identify, then left her at a Nashville store after she refused his demand that she work for him.

“He was like, ‘You better get out there and [prostitute]’ and all that type of stuff," she said. "I told him, ‘I’m not doing nothing.'"

While this is a much, much better alternative than what many children suffer through, this beautiful little boy deserved so much more. He must be so confused.

I am not sure of the details of this story. But this is a happy story for a change. At least his little body wasn't found in a garbage bag in a dumpster.

There really needs to be some sort of easy "drop off" option for people. Maybe more children would be alive. No judgment for these people from me.

Abandoned child highlights need for people to adopt in the Mid-South
''SOUTHAVEN, Miss. — It was just another Monday for Rico Smith as he made his rounds to Goodwill locations across Mississippi until he saw dozens of police officers at the Goodwill donation center on Stateline Road.
“Some of the officers had tears in their eyes, I had tears in my eyes. It was kind of painful,” said Smith.'''
“He had on some nice clothes, but not enough clothes for that weather. And that hurt too,” said Smith.''
''This story is inspiring people to adopt children.
If you’re interested in adopting. Visit the links below.''
Youth Villages: The Force for Families
Mississippi Heart Gallery | MDCPS

Offers ‘overflowing’ across country to foster, adopt child left at Goodwill drop-off in Mississippi

''Phones started ringing with offers of fostering and even adopting a 2-year-old abandoned at a Goodwill drop-off in Southaven, Mississippi only minutes after the story hit social media, according to the Mississippi Department of Child Protective Services.

In a press release, CPS said calls and emails came from places such as California, New York, Florida and even British Columbia with questions of how they could help the toddler.

“The overwhelming generosity of Americans is tangible in this scenario,” said MDCPS Commissioner Andrea Sanders.''

Something is fishy in Denmark.

Pimp.Cowboy hat has his entire face.covered. I do believe mom but why. .wouldn't you name the guy who kidnapped your child? Mom could not have known them long if.she thought the.wife..was the sister.

The little man was dressed so.cute but at age two he sure looked mad. I think the llil.guy in age two.language will.get the story out.

Them two.criminals.are dumb.as.a box of.hair. For all we know cowboy hat is his dad

Stay fierce little man.

What is going on in our Country?

The little guy looks really sad, angry, but not defeated.

Be safe little one in a warm bed with socks on.

It's crazy out there.

I'm just glad that the little guy is alive and looks well-fed. We don't know if there is visible abuse or any other kind, but my gut-feeling says he has not (my gut feeling of wishing and hoping, that is).

At least he is alive and was left at a place where there were people who would know to get in touch with the right personnel so that he can be placed with people who know what to do. Hoping he will be placed in a secure and caring place asap.
He could have been dumped somewhere else after someone harmed him unto death. Many of us have said as much already on this thread -- sad situation, but he's alive in will be cared for as best as possible. Let's hope that he will be able to wake up one morning soon and smile and feel safe and wanted.
In my mind, I can already imagine people lining up to adopt him.

Just another ordinary miracle today.

It took courage to drop him off at Goodwill - a place known to help people, a place with several people around to assist- instead of just keeping him alone in a room continuously neglected or worse. The people who dropped him off are probably good people who are just not in a position to care for a child. IMO.
Yes, yes, and yes, @ChatteringBirds!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood