Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.

So where are the photos of him passing out the flyers, like it says in the article? Surely, he'd want us all to see those.

"Barry Morphew, 52, was at a Safeway in Salida on Dec. 10 passing out the handbills with pictures of his wife, Suzanne Morphew -- exactly seven months to the day she went missing, according to photos posted online."

And was LE also handing out flyers that day, as they have done on the other month anniversaries? Was BM with them?

I spoke with a close friend and business owner in Salida last night. He said the fliers around town are the only reminders of SMs disappearance. Locals opinions regarding her disappearance have been formed very early on. They are also just waiting......

I think the main concern was that both BM and the daughters had tried to reach SM earlier in the day and had not recieved an answer.

After BM sent the neighbor back a second time to look for the bike, the neighbor apparently said she was worried and he said he was too. I'm not sure if we ever heard an explanation as to why she made the call and he didn't. All he said was that he left Broomfield around that time. Imo

MOO He should gave called the sheriff regular line - they could patch him through to local 911.

So where are the photos of him passing out the flyers, like it says in the article? Surely, he'd want us all to see those.

"Barry Morphew, 52, was at a Safeway in Salida on Dec. 10 passing out the handbills with pictures of his wife, Suzanne Morphew -- exactly seven months to the day she went missing, according to photos posted online."

And was LE also handing out flyers that day, as they have done on the other month anniversaries? Was BM with them?
I don’t agree with the statement that Barry would want images of himself passing out fliers. He hasn’t since the very beginning put himself in the media. That is what many people complain about.

Maybe Barry didn’t want the neighbor involved, and the girls pushed the issue by contacting her. Maybe that’s why there was the back and forth-is her car there? Is her bike there? Oh she must be on a bike ride. And maybe now he is suggesting to the girls that this is part of the reason why LE is looking at him, since he didn’t make the 911 call. So they feel guilty about it and are trying to undo what he makes them feel is their fault.

I don’t agree with the statement that Barry would want images of himself passing out fliers. He hasn’t since the very beginning put himself in the media. That is what many people complain about.
Maybe that's why he did it. He probably knew the media would at least report on it. He managed to avoid the media until about three months into the investigation when he finally agreed to an interview with LS.

He claimed to search two hundred square miles and also said he went out every day searching the trails on his dirt bike. Maybe he felt that didn't get enough attention, and this time he knew he would be seen.

I agree that he probably doesn't want his picture taken, though. He also never wanted to have his voice recorded. That might also be the reason he didn't call 911 himself. Imo

Maybe Barry didn’t want the neighbor involved, and the girls pushed the issue by contacting her. Maybe that’s why there was the back and forth-is her car there? Is her bike there? Oh she must be on a bike ride. And maybe now he is suggesting to the girls that this is part of the reason why LE is looking at him, since he didn’t make the 911 call. So they feel guilty about it and are trying to undo what he makes them feel is their fault.
As far as I remember it was BM who asked neighbor to check?

No definitive answer on that. It appears that the girls spoke to the neighbor that called 911, and another neighbor as well, that morning. But once again, we have very little, if any, factual information on how that transpired.
Thanks for fillin' me in, I missed most of it and only hitting it in spots.
I wonder how they're doing? How they're coping without their mum...
I truly wish she could be found but with heavy machinery it's almost impossible to find anything hidden... the cruelty of it all!

(bolded by me)

I disagree

BM speaks to the media whenever he wants to, and only when he wants to -
I think what "many people complain about", is the content of what he says to the media

To my view, the majority of the content spoken by BM to the media, is variations of BM concerned about his image/what people think about him, mixed with disparaging others including people working hard to find his missing wife
And not enough about keeping his wife's story in the public's eye

Although SM is mentioned by BM in the following articles, it's disproportionately limited when compared to how much he talks about himself

Exclusive: Barry Morphew responds to explosive claims regarding the disappearance of wife, Suzanne | FOX21 News Colorado
Exclusive: Barry Morphew responds to explosive claims regarding the disappearance of wife, Suzanne | FOX21 News Colorado

“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado
“People don’t know the truth”: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

My view

(bolded by me)

I disagree

BM speaks to the media whenever he wants to, and only when he wants to -
I think what "many people complain about", is the content of what he says to the media

To my view, the majority of the content spoken by BM to the media, is variations of BM concerned about his image/what people think about him, mixed with disparaging others including people working hard to find his missing wife
And not enough about keeping his wife's story in the public's eye

Although SM is mentioned by BM in the following articles, it's disproportionately limited when compared to how much he talks about himself

My view
Teal bolding mine

I find myself in agreement with old Barry this one time.
No, people do not know the truth.
But someone does !
In saying this he clearly implies just that.
A controlling person loves to manage the narrative to their own benefit.
Imo.

I don’t know where this idea that guilty people usually confess is coming from.

I can think of countless cases where suspects didn’t invoke Miranda during lengthy interviews, and still didn’t confess.

I think you’re putting way too much stock in the ability of law enforcement to elicit a confession in a crime like this.

I didn't suggest that guilty people usually confess; only that the Reid technique is designed to induce them and has been quite effective. (Critics would say, defective since it has induced many false confessions.)

FYI, here are some numbers:

A handful of studies examining how frequently interrogations culminate in confessions indicate that somewhere between 39% and 48% of suspects make full confessions when interrogated by police, and an additional 13% to 16% make incriminating statements or partial admissions (Moston, Stephenson, & Williamson, 1992; Softley, 1980). Police officers estimate that they are able to elicit self-incriminating statements from 68% of the suspects they interrogate (Kassin, et al., 2007).

For good reasons, police prefer confessions to other types of evidence. They save time and resources. Second, and perhaps more important, a confession may be the closest LE can get to a guaranteed conviction. (Drizin & Leo, 2004). Given the early focus on BM that you have eloquently described, I am certain LE did their best to get an early confession from him.

I know that there may not be any newbies to this case on WS,
but just in case, and of course there are always people who check in without joining, so.....

I added the newest article to the Suzanne Morphew Case Archive.
It is very cell phone friendly now but (unfortunately for me) not very PC friendly. Frustrating.
Suzanne Morphew -CO-

Judging by the stup-- comments on the Fox article there are lots of people who know nothing about it, but remark.

He claimed to search two hundred square miles and also said he went out every day searching the trails on his dirt bike.

So much wrong with searching on a dirt bike.... Where do I start? Can't hear the subject call for help, miss all the little track indicators in the dirt/dust...heck miss the tracks all together, destroy print evidence with the knobby tire tracks, ride further than the person could have walked in that period of time and it's hard to idle a dirt bike down a trail so he was probably moving too fast to see anything subtle that would indicate his wife went off trail (all reasons why we search on foot or horseback). Still could not have searched 200 square miles. I'm calling BS on this.

I thought that thing had been put on a bonfire a long time ago, discredited and the like?
Wasn't too hot at all, apparently...
Reid Technique for Interrogations - IResearchNet

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/17/17-1172/40049/20180326153344373_17-1172 Brief in Support of Petitioner.pdf

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/159569902.pdf

In relation to interview time in hours we must remember that he should have been the central focus for interview, he was the last one to see her, he said.
he was her spouse and he knew her ways and personality, all that would have taken several hours to elicit. She would not have been known to LE.
They needed every screed of info they could get about her in order to focus their searches so that would have taken hours to elicit and didn't he start off by shouting at them or something about contaminating a crime scene, a bicycle?
How did that play out exactly?
They met his Vietnam 400 tour superman first, was that it??
That was a multi-agency search. They would have required a helluva lot of the NOK's descriptions..
I never read that he was interrogated.
But something.
The Reid technique has been much criticized over the years, and suggestions have been made intended to mitigate the problem of false confessions. The most intense criticism comes from clear abuse of the technique which led to unlawful behavior, as described in the Amicus Brief to which you refer. But the 2014 article you cite from the Ohio State Journal of Criminal Justice describes it on page 803 as, "The leading interrogation manual..." Although revised and updated, it has remained the interrogation training standard for nearly sixty years, and its underlying influencing strategies remain: (1) loss of control; (2) social isolation; (3) certainty of guilt; and (4) minimization of culpability.

The Reid technique has by no means been "put on the bonfire" or "discredited."

The Reid technique has been much criticized over the years, and suggestions have been made intended to mitigate the problem of false confessions. The most intense criticism comes from clear abuse of the technique which led to unlawful behavior, as described in the Amicus Brief to which you refer. But the 2014 article you cite from the Ohio State Journal of Criminal Justice describes it on page 803 as, "The leading interrogation manual..." Although revised and updated, it has remained the interrogation training standard for nearly sixty years, and its underlying influencing strategies remain: (1) loss of control; (2) social isolation; (3) certainty of guilt; and (4) minimization of culpability.

The Reid technique has by no means been "put on the bonfire" or "discredited."

I understand it's meaning but just because it's been around since pre DNA and more modern techniques, does not mean it's the best or has not been critiqued.
'But the most common factor is the Reid method and its imitators, experts say, since it can create confirmation bias in the minds of investigators while overwhelming a suspect to such an extent that the truth no longer seems like the best option.

Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, a consulting group that says it has worked with a majority of U.S. police departments, said Monday it will stop training detectives in the method it has taught since 1984.

"Confrontation is not an effective way of getting truthful information," said Shane Sturman, the company's president and CEO. “This was a big move for us, but it's a decision that's been coming for quite some time. More and more of our law enforcement clients have asked us to remove it from their training based on all the academic research showing other interrogation styles to be much less risky."

Research and a spate of exonerations have shown for years that Reid interrogation tactics and similar methods can lead to false confessions. But the admission by such a prominent player in law enforcement was seismic.
This article is from 2017.
A major player in law enforcement says it will stop using a method that's been linked to false confessions
I'm not sure why we're even discussing it, actually as I can find no evidence suggesting BM was ever interrogated?

Just catching up and saw this news about handing out flyers.

IMO, and as a gentle counterpoint to the now-infamous "Oh, Suzanne ... It's too soon..." I suggest "Oh, BM... It's too little...and too late."

I wonder what the good citizens of Chaffee County's response has been to viewing or being handed one of these flyers.

A PR move for the faint of hope, perhaps, but not the faint of heart.

I realize some are still on the fence as to BM’s guilt or innocence, and I respect everyone’s opinion no matter which side of fence you may lean toward.

While we don’t know what all LE knows, many of the facts, or how much physical evidence LE may or may not have amassed up to this point, it follows they must have something(s) of compelling evidentiary value, as the focus of their investigation seems to be centered on one prime suspect-BM. We don’t know the content of LE’s interviews with BM or whether or not he had an attorney present during those interviews, which my guess is, probably not. Anyhoo, he obviously didn’t confess which I don’t find unusual or strange as many suspects never crack no matter how much pressure LE puts on them, or tries to elicit a confession.

We do however know about some of the behaviors of BM since SM went missing which IMO don’t reflect the behaviors of an innocent Spouse when their Spouse suddenly and inexplicably goes missing. I’m sure BM is a schmuck, but that doesn’t excuse him from making an immediate public plea via MSM, whether in a press conference or whatever venue they prefer to get the word out, as an innocent person does when their loved one has vanished off the face of the earth. And yes, I believe it does go against human nature of an innocent person who has nothing to hide to not make an immediate plea for their missing loved one’s life, a life that literally hangs in the balance, and getting the word out and asking for the public’s help ASAP, is the single most important thing one can do while people’s memories are still fresh and may remember seeing something or hearing something unusual etc., around the time of the event, that could be the difference between life or death for their missing beloved. Obviously this is a huge sticking point for me, and not to beat a dead horse, but IMO there’s no reasonable explanation for BM to not have made an immediate public plea for his wife’s life. The reasonable, logical conclusion why he didn’t, is because he knows what happened, where she is and didn’t want to answer any tough questions. It’s never “too soon” when you’re loved one goes missing, that is, if you are innocent and have nothing to hide. And IMO, the only reason he did that pathetic 26 second video “plea” on FB a week later is because he knew the optics looked bad for him, and he could control it and avoid being asked the tough questions, period.

IMO, there’s much more inexplicable, suspicious behaviors as well as bizarre statements BM’s made since Suzanne went missing which have been discussed at length in these threads. All tolled, they’re nonsensical and simply do not add up TO ME.

There’s a reason LE has Behavioral Analysts, and I believe behavioral evidence is extremely important and will play a very important role in this case along with the physical evidence, which I hope we learn about someday soon in an AW/AA.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
One of the great things about many Websleuths participants is that they demonstrate awareness of the influence personal bias, prejudice, sterotyping, and confirmation bias can have on their thinking. I appreciate it very much, and I thank you for providing such a good example of this integrity. It adds to my respect for you.

I am intrigued by your suggestion that a behavioral scientist could provide relevant and admissible evidence, or perhaps meaningful assistance to law enforcement.

Although I am aware that the FBI's pioneering Behavioral Science Unit has trained thousands of "profilers" their utility and value has not been scientifically established. After reviewing the available literature, some leading forensic psychology scholars could only say that the credibility generally afforded to profiling as an investigating tool appears to be more a function of favorable portrayals in movies and television shows than a function of solid science that demonstrates its effectiveness. (Dowden, Bennell, and Bloomfield, 2007).

But perhaps you were thinking of expert testimony about a particular aspect of domestic abuse? Tell us more about this, if you will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member