Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand it's meaning but just because it's been around since pre DNA and more modern techniques, does not mean it's the best or has not been critiqued.
'But the most common factor is the Reid method and its imitators, experts say, since it can create confirmation bias in the minds of investigators while overwhelming a suspect to such an extent that the truth no longer seems like the best option.

Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, a consulting group that says it has worked with a majority of U.S. police departments, said Monday it will stop training detectives in the method it has taught since 1984.

"Confrontation is not an effective way of getting truthful information," said Shane Sturman, the company's president and CEO. “This was a big move for us, but it's a decision that's been coming for quite some time. More and more of our law enforcement clients have asked us to remove it from their training based on all the academic research showing other interrogation styles to be much less risky."

Research and a spate of exonerations have shown for years that Reid interrogation tactics and similar methods can lead to false confessions. But the admission by such a prominent player in law enforcement was seismic.
This article is from 2017.
A major player in law enforcement says it will stop using a method that's been linked to false confessions
I'm not sure why we're even discussing it, actually as I can find no evidence suggesting BM was ever interrogated?
I agree with the critics of Reid, and I wish more police departments would implement reforms. But you have not cited any research contradicting the finding of professor Hirsch, that Reid is "The leading interrogation manual..." or providing evidence of a massive shift away from Reid training.

Nor have you rebutted the studies I have cited, to the effect that the technique has produced confessions, partial confessions, and admissions at a reasonably high rate.

If you look into the archives, you will find that BM stated he was interviewed by investigators, and CCSO issued a statement affirming that he cooperated in the investigation.

I have been speaking about this for reasons expressed in previous posts. If you truly don't understand why we're talking about this, please read them. I'd welcome your additional thoughts!

One of the great things about many Websleuths participants is that they demonstrate awareness of the influence personal bias, prejudice, sterotyping, and confirmation bias can have on their thinking. I appreciate it very much, and I thank you for providing such a good example of this integrity. It adds to my respect for you.

I am intrigued by your suggestion that a behavioral scientist could provide relevant and admissible evidence, or perhaps meaningful assistance to law enforcement.

Although I am aware that the FBI's pioneering Behavioral Science Unit has trained thousands of "profilers" their utility and value has not been scientifically established. After reviewing the available literature, some leading forensic psychology scholars could only say that the credibility generally afforded to profiling as an investigating tool appears to be more a function of favorable portrayals in movies and television shows than a function of solid science that demonstrates its effectiveness. (Dowden, Bennell, and Bloomfield, 2007).

But perhaps you were thinking of expert testimony about a particular aspect of domestic abuse? Tell us more about this, if you will.
Hi, are you a defense attorney?

Last edited:
I agree with the critics of Reid, and I wish more police departments would implement reforms. But you have not cited any research contradicting the finding of professor Hirsch, that Reid is "The leading interrogation manual..." or providing evidence of a massive shift away from Reid training.

Nor have you rebutted the studies I have cited, to the effect that the technique has produced confessions, partial confessions, and admissions at a reasonably high rate.

If you look into the archives, you will find that BM stated he was interviewed by investigators, and CCSO issued a statement affirming that he cooperated in the investigation.

I have been speaking about this for reasons expressed in previous posts. If you truly don't understand why we're talking about this, please read them. I'd welcome your additional thoughts!
I'm not here to argue Reid, I've provided 4 links, no less.
There is no evidence he was interrogated, he was interviewed, that is all and of course he was interviewed, his wife disappeared.
They didn't know the woman.
They needed information, about HER.
It's quite a leap to make that a Reid technique interrogation without any evidence at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288