Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
KD explained about the different charitable foundations each of the siblings has created, but he has said that the one mentioned by JS at the funeral, which was to be managed by MS, has never been created.

Since that time, each of the children has created, or begun to create, their own charitable foundation.

Jonathon created the Fred and Jon Sherman and Family Foundation in November 2018. The directors are Jonathon, Mercure and Jonathon’s business partner Paulin. It is a registered charity.

Alex and her husband set up a registered charity called the Krawczyk Family Foundation in early 2019. They are both directors. They also incorporated a federal company called the Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation in late 2019. It is not a registered charity. They are both directors of it as well.

Sister Kaelen set up a registered charity called the KNRS Foundation in the summer of 2019. Jonathon was her fellow director. The charity’s business records show that as of Feb. 3, 2020, Jonathon was no longer a director. No explanation is given in the documents.

Lauren, the eldest sibling, has a charity called the Transformation Foundation. In December 2018, records show her brother Jonathon was a director with Lauren. Records show that as of Aug. 18, 2020, Jonathon is no longer a director. No explanation is given in the documents.

The charitable foundation promised at Barry and Honey Sherman’s funeral by their son was never created, as rift among siblings grows

They also incorporated a federal company called the Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation in late 2019. It is not a registered charity. They are both directors of it as well.

But Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation is a registered charity, registered under the “Canada-Not-for-profit Corporations Act (link above).

Governing Legislation
Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act - 2019-11-05

ETA-
I think there might be a misunderstanding about the role of Directors. Each of the four children are not required to be directors in order to deliver upon the intention behind a family foundation. It’s not like a joint bank account. A director’s responsibility is to ensure the Foundations Charter is adhered to, the Charter that would’ve been created and agreed upon at the establishment of the Foundation.

Last edited:
But Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation is a registered charity, registered under the “Canada-Not-for-profit Corporations Act (link above).

Governing Legislation
Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act - 2019-11-05

ETA-
I think there might be a misunderstanding about the role of Directors. Each of the four children are not required to be directors in order to deliver upon the intention behind a family foundation. It’s not like a joint bank account. A director’s responsibility is to ensure the Foundations Charter is adhered to, the Charter that would’ve been created and agreed upon at the establishment of the Foundation.
A not-for-profit corporation is not the same as a charity:

What is the difference between a registered charity and a non-profit organization?
Registered charities and non-profit organizations (NPOs) both operate on a non-profit basis, however they are not the same. This page explains the differences between them.

What is the difference between a registered charity and a non-profit organization? - Canada.ca

It's all so confusing. What is the issue exactly? That the four children did not create a charity together in their parents' names?

I don’t know what the issue is either.

If the registration of “Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation” isn’t indicative of a plan to honour the deceased parents’ legacy of giving, I can’t imagine a more appropriate name.

A not-for-profit corporation is not the same as a charity:

What is the difference between a registered charity and a non-profit organization?
Registered charities and non-profit organizations (NPOs) both operate on a non-profit basis, however they are not the same. This page explains the differences ibetween them.

What is the difference between a registered charity and a non-profit organization? - Canada.ca

I’m not sure what’s the point of this. It is true a non-profit organization is not the same as a registered charity. A non-profit organization isn’t registered and cannot issue tax receipts although money is collected to run the organization. Your link gives various examples.

Registered charities are always “non-profit” by virtue of the definition of the word “charity”. Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation is a registered charity, aka non-profit (my earlier link).

Last edited:
fwiw..
Dec 20, 2019
WARMINGTON: Did billionaire Shermans want to leave wealth to Bill Gates' charity? | Toronto Sun
''Honey and Barry Sherman were known for giving millions to local charities.

But were they considering leaving their billions, after death, to Bill Gates’ The Giving Pledge?''
''The initiative is designed to allow billionaires have their vast estates used to support projects they care about after their deaths.

In the Sherman’s case, it would mean that the bulk of their estimated $5-billion estate would go The Giving Pledge and not to family members or designated beneficiaries as laid out in a last will and testament.''

Another person close to the family says the notion the philanthropic couple was going to make such a covenant could offer police a potential motive to pursue.''

“It’s more gossip that newspapers are doing with this case to sell copies,” said a person close to the four Sherman children. “That they were generous is not new and that they would set up some legacy project to make sure their money was utilized to help people is hardly a stretch for them.”

The family confidant said “this is a great headline but as usual, it’s not backed up with any formal paperwork.”

I’m not sure what’s the point of this. It is true a non-profit organization is not the same as a registered charity. A non-profit organization isn’t registered and cannot issue tax receipts although money is collected to run the organization. Your link gives various examples.

Registered charities are always “non-profit” by virtue of the definition of the word “charity”. Honey and Barry Sherman Legacy Foundation is a registered charity, aka non-profit (my earlier link).
The point of it is merely that I am deciphering your posts as saying that KD's information is incorrect, but imho, from links above, it seems to be correct.

fwiw..
Dec 20, 2019
WARMINGTON: Did billionaire Shermans want to leave wealth to Bill Gates' charity? | Toronto Sun
''Honey and Barry Sherman were known for giving millions to local charities.

But were they considering leaving their billions, after death, to Bill Gates’ The Giving Pledge?''
''The initiative is designed to allow billionaires have their vast estates used to support projects they care about after their deaths.

In the Sherman’s case, it would mean that the bulk of their estimated $5-billion estate would go The Giving Pledge and not to family members or designated beneficiaries as laid out in a last will and testament.''

Another person close to the family says the notion the philanthropic couple was going to make such a covenant could offer police a potential motive to pursue.''

“It’s more gossip that newspapers are doing with this case to sell copies,” said a person close to the four Sherman children. “That they were generous is not new and that they would set up some legacy project to make sure their money was utilized to help people is hardly a stretch for them.”

The family confidant said “this is a great headline but as usual, it’s not backed up with any formal paperwork.”

Interesting, from your link, The Sun names a source. So what’s he saying, KW filed the failed lawsuit to prevent Barry from gifting the sale value of Apotex?

“The Gates part of it has not been talked about in Toronto circles. But Sherman’s cousin Kerry Winter said it was Barry’s wish to pursue something like that.

Winter said he knew about Barry’s wishes and it was an issue in the lawsuit the cousins filed against the Apotex giant.

“It’s nothing new,” said Winter. “He told me that more than once.”...”

One can make a lot of money with a 'charity'. There are tax write-offs and one only has to donate 5% of the takings to meet the criteria.

One can make a lot of money with a 'charity'. There are tax write-offs and one only has to donate 5% of the takings to meet the criteria.

Yes that’s very true. Charities often pay salaries to employees as well.

But I don’t think we should go down the road toward any of the Sherman Foundations being established for any other reason other than good faith. Giving to worthwhile causes is always a good thing.

I dont believe I did go down any such road.

Charities are businesses in this day and age, with little oversight and plenty of benefits for those who 'run' them.

Sometimes it's to help others, some do very well for themselves by having charities. That's just factual.

I believe the amounts quoted for the Shermans was approx. 1% of their wealth was given to various causes.

Last edited:
The point of registering as a charity is in order to receive donations from the public and issue tax receipts.

IMO, the point of the Sherman Legacy non-profit is to give Sherman money away to other charities, or put it to good use in some way. They don't need to issue tax receipts.

I dont believe I did go down any such road.

Charities are businesses in this day and age, with little oversight and plenty of benefits for those who 'run' them.

Sometimes it's to help others, some do very well for themselves by having charities. That's just factual.

I believe the amounts quoted for the Shermans was approx. 1% of their wealth was given to various causes.

Reportedly much of the $5 billion wealth is the value of Apotex. Unless the company is sold or becomes public, the wealth might appear on a net worth statement but it’s not simply cash that could be donated even if anyone wanted to.

I notice The Sherman Foundation was not wound down after the murders and was still active in the 2019 calendar year.

Charity Data

Interesting, from your link, The Sun names a source. So what’s he saying, KW filed the failed lawsuit to prevent Barry from gifting the sale value of Apotex?

“The Gates part of it has not been talked about in Toronto circles. But Sherman’s cousin Kerry Winter said it was Barry’s wish to pursue something like that.

Winter said he knew about Barry’s wishes and it was an issue in the lawsuit the cousins filed against the Apotex giant.

“It’s nothing new,” said Winter. “He told me that more than once.”...”

yes I believe I recall in some earlier posts involving kw that he felt that his lawsuit created what I recall was referred to in the postings as a “lien” ( I know that’s not the right term in legal terms but anyways) on the shares of apotex and the Sherman’s couldn’t deal with the shares as long as the lawsuit was outstanding.

yes I believe I recall in some earlier posts involving kw that he felt that his lawsuit created what I recall was referred to in the postings as a “lien” ( I know that’s not the right term in legal terms but anyways) on the shares of apotex and the Sherman’s couldn’t deal with the shares as long as the lawsuit was outstanding.

Well that really doesn’t make any sense - if there was a supposed lien placed due to a debt that didn’t exist. The reason is KW’s lawsuit wasn’t dismissed by the SCC until well after the Shermans were murdered. At the time they were murdered nobody wouldn’t been able to predict a SCC decision.

So if you’re suggesting Apotex was free of the supposed lien and so Barry was about to sell Apotex by Dec 13, 2017 and gift all the money away at the time the couple were murdered, the timeline doesn’t support that.

Fwiw, DM..rbbm.
Dec 2019
Billionaire couple found 'murdered' discussed pledging their fortune to philanthropy campaign | Daily Mail Online
''Now in a last-ditch attempt to get the justice he says he deserves, he told DailyMail.com, he is taking his fight to the Supreme Court of Canada.

He said, 'That money is cursed and sometimes the sins of the father are visited on the children.

'If my father had lived Barry would have been a brother to me. When he died Barry should have looked over me and my brothers, but he didn't. He took what was ours and he lied to us for years.

'Everything was built on a lie and I can never, never forgive him for that. I hated him for that and now it's his children who have to pay.

'They thought it was over but I'm taking my case to the Supreme Court of Canada. They want to sell the company, but they can't because I've got a 20 per cent lien on it.'

Fwiw, DM..rbbm.
Dec 2019
Billionaire couple found 'murdered' discussed pledging their fortune to philanthropy campaign | Daily Mail Online
''Now in a last-ditch attempt to get the justice he says he deserves, he told DailyMail.com, he is taking his fight to the Supreme Court of Canada.

He said, 'That money is cursed and sometimes the sins of the father are visited on the children.

'If my father had lived Barry would have been a brother to me. When he died Barry should have looked over me and my brothers, but he didn't. He took what was ours and he lied to us for years.

'Everything was built on a lie and I can never, never forgive him for that. I hated him for that and now it's his children who have to pay.

'They thought it was over but I'm taking my case to the Supreme Court of Canada. They want to sell the company, but they can't because I've got a 20 per cent lien on it.'

Thanks dotr.

Since KW is a VI here, maybe he will explain how any intention of “gifting” could’ve been a motive for murder, considering the SCC case hadn’t yet been dismissed.

The SCC only heard the appeal of the lower court’s dismissal of the case. Had they instead thrown out the dismissal ruling, it still hadn’t reached the stage of a civil trial. It still would’ve been a long way from over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member