Floridians!!!

RiverRat

Patsy Ramsey to the Left
Reaction score
Please read this article and then contact you local reps to help Stop this movement ASAP!

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082907/met_195414431.shtml

More than 3,000 prisoners statewide could see their sentences shortened under plans submitted to the House Safety & Security Council, which was meeting on the second of three days legislators set aside for committees to review proposed state budget cuts. Florida faces a $2.5 billion deficit because of lower-than-expected revenue over the next fiscal year.

State Corrections Secretary James McDonough laid out four proposals built around the general concept of easing low-risk prisoners back into society earlier than planned if they are already near the end of their sentences and have demonstrated good behavior. Violent and sexual offenders would be ineligible, and the changes would still allow inmates to serve at least 85 percent of their sentences as state law requires.

McDonough's favored proposal is to ease the state's work-release rules, allowing inmates to stay out of state custody at night if they are already working in the community during the day and are approaching the end of their sentences anyway. In exchange, the inmates would be required to report weekly, and a small increase in probation officers could provide stricter supervision.

If they commuted all the DR guys to LWOP, they wouldn't have such a big deficit.

Florida would save $51 million each year by punishing all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole, according to estimates by the Palm Beach Post. Based on the 44 executions Florida has carried out since 1976, that amounts to an approximate cost of $24 million for each execution. This finding takes into account the relatively few inmates who are actually executed, as well as the time and effort expended on capital defendants who are tried but convicted of a lesser murder charge, and those whose deathe sentences are overturned on appeal. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000)

They asked each state agency to reduce their budget by 10-15 % this year.

If they commuted all the DR guys to LWOP, they wouldn't have such a big deficit.

Florida would save $51 million each year by punishing all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole, according to estimates by the Palm Beach Post. Based on the 44 executions Florida has carried out since 1976, that amounts to an approximate cost of $24 million for each execution. This finding takes into account the relatively few inmates who are actually executed, as well as the time and effort expended on capital defendants who are tried but convicted of a lesser murder charge, and those whose deathe sentences are overturned on appeal. (Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000)
some things are worth paying for. i would be more willing to have most state parks closed 3 days a week than lower the penalty for those that prey on the innocent.

some things are worth paying for. i would be more willing to have most state parks closed 3 days a week than lower the penalty for those that prey on the innocent.

That would not be wise since the state parks are one of the few state agency's that actually bring money into the state fund.

Closing them 3 days a week would have little impact on the cost of running them as they would still require maintainence weather people are visiting or not.

Many state park cost 1/3 the cost to run of what they bring in.

That would not be wise since the state parks are one of the few state agency's that actually bring money into the state fund.

Closing them 3 days a week would have little impact on the cost of running them as they would still require maintainence weather people are visiting or not.

Many state park cost 1/3 the cost to run of what they bring in.

I love my state parks. :)

In every State office building I've worked in/visited - the a/c is too cold in many of the bathrooms, the a/c and lights are on full tilt all nights and weekends instead of on timers or at least motion sensors. The computers are left on 24/7 and there is a great deal of waste because of it. Multiply the buildings I've been in in Tallahassee times all the state office buildings in the entire state - and you can see it's a big deal.

...not to mention an entire office downstairs from me of people in production control that is nearly automated now, and what isn't automated, the programmers could do. There's 20+ jobs you can eliminate right there.

Florida (and most states) would probably save money by shortening the appeals process leading to execution.

If it were the predators that were there, I'd agree with you. Look online and see the sexual predators that live in your area. Seems to me, THOSE are the ones that should be locked up. MOST of the people on Death Row are not predatory.

You did hit it on the head though - PREDATORY people are the ones that chill me to the bone thinking about them. THOSE are the ones that should not be released - ever.

I know of some folks in prison/jail right now that aren't considered violent, but I'm not fond of the idea of them walking the streets and robbing and stealing, drug dealing and the like -

I am going to ask all my Florida friends here to forgive me for what I'm about to say because I know there are some mighty fine things about your state....BUT, the last thing Florida seems to need is more lawbreakers on the streets....for reasons unknown to me, Florida seems to have a disproportionate number of terrible crimes.

Florida (and most states) would probably save money by shortening the appeals process leading to execution.

Yes, but with so many being released as innocent after 20+ years of being on Death Row for crimes they didn't commit, - if the appeals process took only three weeks, you'd be executing alot more innocent people.

Shortening the process isn't a good idea by itself - making it more EFFICIENT where they actually DO SOMETHING with the appeals instead of automatic denials that take time and paperwork but do nothing - yes, it would save money (and consequently shorten the time.) Right now it's super inefficient - time wise as well as actually taking facts into consideration.

But you are right - that is another way to save money. Good or bad, it's a way.

Maybe we could hold a state bake sale and keep the criminals in jail?

I am going to ask all my Florida friends here to forgive me for what I'm about to say because I know there are some mighty fine things about your state....BUT, the last thing Florida seems to need is more lawbreakers on the streets....for reasons unknown to me, Florida seems to have a disproportionate number of terrible crimes.

It isn't me. :dance:

I love my state parks. :)

In every State office building I've worked in/visited - the a/c is too cold in many of the bathrooms, the a/c and lights are on full tilt all nights and weekends instead of on timers or at least motion sensors. The computers are left on 24/7 and there is a great deal of waste because of it. Multiply the buildings I've been in in Tallahassee times all the state office buildings in the entire state - and you can see it's a big deal.

...not to mention an entire office downstairs from me of people in production control that is nearly automated now, and what isn't automated, the programmers could do. There's 20+ jobs you can eliminate right there.

Exactly!!!
Don't even get me started on their brilliant computer programmers.
The state spends a fortune on software that no one knows how to use because some convincing sales person made it sound like a great idea to install a system that does not meet the needs of the state.

I love state parks too!!! (Maybe because my hubby runs one??)

BTW many state parks have Clivis Bathrooms thereby conserving water and they also have lights in said bathrooms that only go on when someone enters (saving power)

I personally for my own selfish reasons would be ok with the park closing 3 days a week.... LOL then I get the entire beach to myself!!!
But financially for the state its a bad idea.

Forgiven!!!

Its the truth! Historically Florida is a more transient state.
It should be noted however... that the majority of these criminals are not from Florida!
Also Florida has huge drug problems because it is mostly surrounded by water making it an ideal place for drug lords to land their drugs!

BTW I am still waiting for that large bail of money to float up onto the beach:angel:

Exactly!!!
Don't even get me started on their brilliant computer programmers.
The state spends a fortune on software that no one knows how to use because some convincing sales person made it sound like a great idea to install a system that does not meet the needs of the state.

Please DON'T get started on the brilliant programmers! (I am one!)

You are right, though - we got something called Uniface here several years ago that only THIRTEEN companies in the WORLD used. How pathetic is that? Once you get to learn the software, you can't take the information to another job. Then, they find out it's not good enough, so you rewrite the programs in another language. Shampoo, Rinse, Repeat as necessary.

They're FINALLY letting me do web stuff now - XML, Java - all the latest stuff. While my coworkers are doing COBOL....

I tell you who is NOT a waste though - the ladies that clean our bathrooms. They are the most important people in my workplace, in my opinion. I make sure I give them a hearty good morning every single day.

Forgiven!!!

Its the truth! Historically Florida is a more transient state.
It should be noted however... that the majority of these criminals are not from Florida!
Also Florida has huge drug problems because it is mostly surrounded by water making it an ideal place for drug lords to land their drugs!

BTW I am still waiting for that large bail of money to float up onto the beach:angel:

I do get that point, Amraann - the transient factor is huge. You never know what's going to wash up....sorry for you that it hasn't yet been that bail of cash!

Yes, but with so many being released as innocent after 20+ years of being on Death Row for crimes they didn't commit, - if the appeals process took only three weeks, you'd be executing alot more innocent people.

Shortening the process isn't a good idea by itself - making it more EFFICIENT where they actually DO SOMETHING with the appeals instead of automatic denials that take time and paperwork but do nothing - yes, it would save money (and consequently shorten the time.) Right now it's super inefficient - time wise as well as actually taking facts into consideration.

But you are right - that is another way to save money. Good or bad, it's a way.

Maybe we could hold a state bake sale and keep the criminals in jail?

I agree with you, Glitch, that they need to make the appeals more efficient. Hopefully over time, DNA advances will keep many of the innocent from ever standing trial, much less being on death row.

I had to smile at the idea of a bake sale but whatever it takes to keep society safe...lol.

I agree with you, Glitch, that they need to make the appeals more efficient. Hopefully over time, DNA advances will keep many of the innocent from ever standing trial, much less being on death row.

I had to smile at the idea of a bake sale but whatever it takes to keep society safe...lol.

I believe I read a statistic that DNA is only gathered/useful in about 10% of the cases. So, certainly the "more efficient" needs to be priority over speed. I do think the more efficient it is, though, the speed will come naturally. Just think - the appeals of the likes of Couey - confession, evidence, proof positive and no doubts - zip zip zip done. In reality though, he will live longer on DR than if he were to get life without parole.

I believe I read a statistic that DNA is only gathered/useful in about 10% of the cases. So, certainly the "more efficient" needs to be priority over speed. I do think the more efficient it is, though, the speed will come naturally. Just think - the appeals of the likes of Couey - confession, evidence, proof positive and no doubts - zip zip zip done. In reality though, he will live longer on DR than if he were to get life without parole.

I like that zip zip zip done, especially for Couey. It would work for the two who killed the doctor's family and were caught fleeing the burning house. Whenever there is no doubt, there should be no appeals or no more than one.

I like that zip zip zip done, especially for Couey. It would work for the two who killed the doctor's family and were caught fleeing the burning house. Whenever there is no doubt, there should be no appeals or no more than one.

Supposedly, you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Since that is not the case in practice - maybe we can start the reform based on that principal alone. Like you said, if there is NO doubt - then there isn't need for an appeal. I hate Couey. In case I forgot to mention that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back