Covid-19 Vaccine Development

This is the first that I've seen published on the ingredient s of the Pfizer COVID vaccine, I don't see it on the FDA website yet though as to the ingredients. (Article goes into explanation thoroughly on each component)

Here, for instance, is what the US Food and Drug Administration says is in Pfizer’s vaccine:

• Active Ingredient
    • nucleoside-modified messenger RNA (modRNA) encoding the viral spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2
  • Lipids
    • (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015)
    • (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159)
    • 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC)
    • cholesterol
    • Salts
      • potassium chloride
      • monobasic potassium phosphate
      • sodium chloride
      • basic sodium phosphate dihydrate
    • Other
      • sucrose
The lipids
The Pfizer vaccine, like one from Moderna, uses lipid nanoparticles to encase the RNA. The nanoparticles are, basically, tiny greasy spheres that protect the mRNA and help it slide inside cells.

These particles are probably around 100 nanometers across. Curiously, that’s about the same size as the coronavirus itself.

Pfizer says it uses four different lipids in a “defined ratio.” The lipid ALC-0315 is the primary ingredient in the formulation. That’s because it’s ionizable—it can be given a positive charge, and since the RNA has a negative one, they stick together. It's also a component that can cause side-effects or allergic reactions. The other lipids, one of which is the familiar molecule cholesterol, are “helpers” that give structural integrity to the nanoparticles or stop them from clumping. During manufacturing, the RNA and the lipids are stirred into a bubbly mix to form what the FDA describes as a “white to off-white” frozen liquid.

Salts
The Pfizer vaccine contains four salts, one of which is ordinary table salt. Together, these salts are better known as phosphate-buffered saline, or PBS, a very common ingredient that keeps the pH, or acidity, of the vaccine close to that of a person’s body. You’ll understand how important that is if you’ve ever squeezed lemon juice on a cut. Substances with the wrong acidity can injure cells or get quickly degraded.

Sugar

The vaccine includes plain old sugar, also called sucrose. It’s acting here as a cryoprotectant to safeguard the nanoparticles when they’re frozen and stop them from sticking together.

Saline solution
Before injection, the vaccine is mixed with water containing sodium chloride, or ordinary salt, just as many intravenously delivered drugs are. Again, the idea is that the injection should more or less match the salt content of the blood.

No preservatives
Pfizer makes a point of saying its mixture of lipid nanoparticles and mRNA is “preservative-free.” That’s because a preservative that’s been used in other vaccines, thimerosal (which contains mercury and is there to kill any bacteria that might contaminate a vial), has been at the center of worries around over whether vaccines cause autism. The US Centers for Disease Control says thimerosal is safe; despite that, its use is being phased out. There is no thimerosal—or any other preservative—in the Pfizer vaccine. No microchips, either.

What are the ingredients of Pfizer’s covid-19 vaccine?

Today, the ingredients for the Moderna vaccine were released. I'm quoting my own post for Pfizer ingredients to have for later and to compare if needed by anyone.

4.1 Vaccine Composition, Dosing Regimen The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is a white to off-white, sterile, preservative-free frozen suspension for intramuscular injection. The vaccine contains a synthetic messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) encoding the pre-fusion stabilized spike glycoprotein (S) of SARS-CoV-2 virus. The vaccine also contains the following ingredients: lipids (SM-102, 1,2-dimyristoyl-rac-glycero-3-methoxypolyethylene glycol-2000 [PEG2000-DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate, and sucrose.

Source: This is the document for this Thursday for the FDA for Moderna. https://www.fda.gov/media/144434/download

Not sure if OK to post MSM reports about reactions to vaccine here so please move if not appropriate.

UPDATE: Adverse reaction reported in health care worker in Juneau

Dec 16, 2020

Juneau, Alaska (KINY) - The staff member at Bartlett Regional Hospital who suffered an adverse allergic reaction to Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is recovering. A release reports that she will remain another night in the hospital under observation. In the meantime, she is still encouraging her colleagues to get the vaccine.

The release also reports that a second staff member experienced eye puffiness, light headedness, and a scratchy throat ten minutes after being injected Wednesday. After receiving treatment, he felt completely back to normal and was released. He also encouraged colleagues to get the vaccine.

2 Alaska Health Workers Got Emergency Treatment After Receiving Pfizer’s Vaccine

Last edited:
While I can understand the explanation..what seems odd to me is that this was a 'surprise'....one hospital said it was a 'miracle'...per the above article.
It just seems a bit strange that this was not part of the education or initial information given by Pfizer before roll out. JMO

Hey Everyone,

Forgive me for interrupting your discussion

The Websleuths moderators are the reason why Websleuths runs smoothly and is one of the most respected true crime discussion forums in the world.

Websleuths moderators are all volunteers.
That's why from now until Thursday, Dec. 24th we are asking those who can afford to do so to please donate to our moderator fund-raiser. We will divide all the money raised among the moderators.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE USING PAYPAL
If you would rather use Venmo the name is: Tricia-Griffith-14

Please DO NOT make a donation unless you can absolutely afford to do so.

With every fiber of my being, I want our moderators to know how much I personally appreciate it and how grateful I am for all their hard work.

Without our mod team today Websleuths could not function.

We all completely understand if you cannot make a donation however, I ask that you leave a comment for the mods on our special thread which you can get to by CLICKING HERE!

Thank you very much,
Tricia
PS PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS ON THIS THREAD. THE MODS WILL KILL ME.

Dec. 18, 2020

Dec. 18, 2020 - This video discusses vaccine shipment issues wrt to Nor’easter and FedEx/UPS delays, flight cancellations, etc.

Dec. 18, 2020 - Several States Notified of Reduction In Planned Vaccine Shipments, Raising Questions

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back