Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Posters Questioning "Field"?
They used field in their updates.
UPDATE #8 Saturday, July 20th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas.
Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, members certified in cave searches, rope climbing, and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation. http://nixle.us/CE3JA
@Jo in Calif Thx for your post w quote & link. bbm
In ^ context, I understand "field" to mean the opposite of working in headquarters or substations. Did not read as any reference to or description of terrain that S&R and LEOs explored. my2cts.

Yes, anyone with all their faculties intact would not make such a mistake. But heatstroke may have affected her perceptions.

I was walking my dog along the beach, on a hot day: wearing a large hat and loose top.
I then had difficulty, walking to the car, driving and was 'pooped' for hours.
Heat stroke can be very quick and unexpected.

My ex husband RIP worked for our local power company here in town. He worked for a time 'out in the field', meaning he had contact w/the outside world and the face to face contact w/the customers....as opposed to sitting in the office behind a desk all day.

I only queried the word "field" because I understand it to mean a cultivated area, usually enclosed, and looking at the map there are what appears to be some green fields of that type around Needles. While waiting for more clarification on where Barbara was found, I just wanted to know if the word was also used in relation to desert terrain, which apparently it is. That's all.

I wonder what stood out from the find of Barbara in relation to a year ago in the search?

I’m so sorry for what happened to you.

I think that it was sheer chance, in where this pair of hikers walked. (I visualize the sort of desert vegetation that grows in clumps, not too high, with bare soil in between—so you can walk almost anywhere, without needing to stay on a defined trail. That’s what it looked like to me, in the dog search video.)

And, the time of discovery was a much less stressful time of year, as far as weather goes.

From the SBSD - Colorado River Sheriif's Department Advisory of Friday, December 18, 2020

Location of human remains found: (Barbara):

Kelbaker Road/Hidden Hills near I-40

I found the latitude and longitude at the intersection of these above two roads as being:

(From Google Maps)
(I could not transfer the link...
Not allowed on my computer, apparently...)

Soooo... JMO...

I only queried the word "field" because I understand it to mean a cultivated area, usually enclosed, and looking at the map there are what appears to be some green fields of that type around Needles. While waiting for more clarification on where Barbara was found, I just wanted to know if the word was also used in relation to desert terrain, which apparently it is. That's all.

I wondered the same thing @Cherwell. I’ve spent time in deserts and the only type of “field” I can imagine in the desert that isn’t deliberately cultivated and watered is as described here:

The Mojave encompasses approximately 25,000 square miles of California, southwestern Utah, southern Nevada, and northwestern Arizona. Both topographically and biologically, it has a little bit of everything: singing sand dunes, Joshua tree forests, wildflower fields,
BBM

Mojave Desert

Whether that’s the kind of location where Barbara was found, I guess we’ll find out eventually. It seemed to me to be a funny use of the term though. JMO

From the SBSD - Colorado River Sheriif's Department Advisory of Friday, December 18, 2020

I found the latitude and longitude at the intersection of these above two roads as being:

(From Google Maps)

Soooo... JMO...

The RV was apparently parked at the intersection of Kelbaker and Hidden Hill; that's where SAR put the command center for the search. While the remains may have been found nearby, we don't know yet how close they were, where exactly they were, the cause of death, etc..

JMO

As an Arizona native, I've never heard anyone call a hikable desert area a "field". One might go hiking in the desert, through a wash, up a mountain, through the scrub or bush, up a rock formation, or along a river, but "hiking in a field" makes no sense to me. The only fields would be cultivated private property, likely crops, as even livestock are put out onto leased BLM land. The area shown in a screenshot upthread, vast with with low vegetation is very similar to the area where I live, which I consider to be a valley. Moo.

As an Arizona native, I've never heard anyone call a hikable desert area a "field". One might go hiking in the desert, through a wash, up a mountain, through the scrub or bush, up a rock formation, or along a river, but "hiking in a field" makes no sense to me. The only fields would be cultivated private property, likely crops, as even livestock are put out onto leased BLM land. The area shown in a screenshot upthread, vast with with low vegetation is very similar to the area where I live, which I consider to be a valley. Moo.

That makes sense, but maybe the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office categorizes things differently?

JMO

That makes sense, but maybe the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office categorizes things differently?

JMO
Oh yes, I'm sure we will understand better when and if we find out more details about the location. I'm not casting any aspersions on the sheriff's report, just giving my perspective/reaction.

DEC 16, 2020
Remains of woman lost in Mojave Desert last year found
[...]

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.

An autopsy has been completed, Lewison confirmed, but the cause of death is still pending.

[...]
bookmarking this (just click on the up arrow next to pommy mommy at top)
if anyone is late like me trying to figure out where the first post starts with this sad but great news.
thanks pommy! xx

I wondered the same thing @Cherwell. I’ve spent time in deserts and the only type of “field” I can imagine in the desert that isn’t deliberately cultivated and watered is as described here:

The Mojave encompasses approximately 25,000 square miles of California, southwestern Utah, southern Nevada, and northwestern Arizona. Both topographically and biologically, it has a little bit of everything: singing sand dunes, Joshua tree forests, wildflower fields,
BBM

Mojave Desert

Whether that’s the kind of location where Barbara was found, I guess we’ll find out eventually. It seemed to me to be a funny use of the term though. JMO

Could it be she was found by Kelso Dunes? I see its space referred to as a field!

From the Google map page of Kelso Dunes (bolded by me): “This 45-sq.-mi. field of dunes in the Mojave National Preserve features hiking trails.”

Although, this is much farther north of the Hidden Hill Rd intersection. Hmm.
Kelso Dunes
California
Google Maps

(From Google Maps)

Soooo... JMO...

Take note of Kelbaker Rd at the 11-mile mark -- the area to the left is actually deemed Lava Fields.

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf

Could it be she was found by Kelso Dunes? I see its space referred to as a field!

From the Google map page of Kelso Dunes (bolded by me): “This 45-sq.-mi. field of dunes in the Mojave National Preserve features hiking trails.”
Although, this is much farther north of the Hidden Hill Rd intersection. Hmm.
Kelso Dunes
California
Google Maps
No, I think that's just another illustration of the general use of the term in the context of the area.
I am now satisfied that it could refer to pretty much any part of the terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pag2507