TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know how long he has been going to Texas State? He’s 21 so I’m thinking probably a while. I would think he’s done that drive a zillion times, so it’s surprising he would miss that turn in Luling to get to I10. And even if he did, why would he continue driving the wrong way on a small road away from town for 10 miles? He would know right away that he missed the turn and turn around I would think.
A lot of kids go to a local community college for 2 years, then transfer. If that's the case, he would be just the right age for it to be his first year at Texas State.

Very true. I don’t know what it would mean anyway. I just started thinking about it and it seems to me that even if you had done that drive only once before, you would know you turn in Luling and that you never go on a gravel road. So if it just seems that you wouldn’t keep driving for 10 whole miles on a country road turning to gravel before you crash. I don’t know. Could he have already had a medical emergency at that point? Probably not—just trying to make sense of it.
I don’t think he drove 10 miles down a gravel road...the news reports are saying he was about 10 miles from/outside of downtown Luling, as a marker, just to give us an idea of the location.

I don’t think he drove 10 miles down a gravel road...the news reports are saying he was about 10 miles from/outside of downtown Luling, as a marker, just to give us an idea of the location.
The turn off for I10 is in downtown Luling though, so if he was 10 miles outside of downtown Luling, then he drove for 10 miles on that little road. I’ll see if I can figure out how to link the map. It just surprised me when I saw that.

Google Maps

The turn off for I10 is in downtown Luling though, so if he was 10 miles outside of downtown Luling, then he drove for 10 miles on that little road. I’ll see if I can figure out how to link the map. It just surprised me when I saw that.

Google Maps

will this help any?

Texas college student goes missing on way home for Christmas break; wrecked car found abandoned

Troopers found Landry’s vehicle in the remote area near the city of Luling, about 30 minutes from the university’s campus in San Marcos

Search continues for missing Texas State student Jason Landry | khou.com

The trooper said Jason Landry’s car had been involved in a crash in a remote area in Luling off country backroads about 10 minutes from the city’s downtown area.

will this help any?

Texas college student goes missing on way home for Christmas break; wrecked car found abandoned

Troopers found Landry’s vehicle in the remote area near the city of Luling, about 30 minutes from the university’s campus in San Marcos

Search continues for missing Texas State student Jason Landry | khou.com

The trooper said Jason Landry’s car had been involved in a crash in a remote area in Luling off country backroads about 10 minutes from the city’s downtown area.
Okay so 10 minutes from downtown. So that’s 10 minutes that he drove on Salt Flat Road. That’s a long time IMO.

Salt Flat and an un-named oil location road -- you'll see where the narrow, paved roadway becomes a gravel roadway.

I could see a scenario where JL may have been driving too fast for conditions and, upon encountering that nasty looking curve in the road just north of the dropped pin, possibly slid off the roadway and into a tree.

Texas State student from Missouri City missing after car found totaled, abandoned

And according to the link above his car was wrecked on the road once it turned to gravel. (If that helps with location any)

Does Salt Flat Rd begin downtown?
I guess I should look on a map. :confused:
It looks like it starts where highway 80 crosses 183 (the right to go towards I10 the family talks about) but then goes for quite a ways....much longer than I originally realized. There's ponds all over the place so thats not a help. Too bad there isn't any pictures of where the car crashed.

It looks like it starts where highway 80 crosses 183 (the right to go towards I10 the family talks about) but then goes for quite a ways....much longer than I originally realized. There's ponds all over the place so thats not a help. Too bad there isn't any pictures of where the car crashed.

Yes it does— hwy 80 turns into Salt Flat Rd. If you don’t turn right.
Google Maps

Thanks for sharing!

Yes it’s really pretty far out there from where he missed the turn in town.

Yes it’s really pretty far out there from where he missed the turn in town.
Yeah, you would think he shouldn't have gone much more than a mile or two before realizing there isn't any I10 out this way. Plus, GPS would have corrected him shortly after missing the turn off. Odd. I wonder if his phone/GPS battery may have died and was going on feel? Even then he should have realized something isn't right.

Could it be possible he realized he missed his turn but done it before & decided to drive farther down to another turn off that lead to I10?
I’m unfamiliar with the area so that may not even be an option.
Yeah that’s actually what I kinda have been thinking. BUT then looking at the map I realized he really was far out there and going northeast when he should have turned south and continued through downtown. So why did he drive so long on a dark country road? I would have turned right around in a minute or two. I can’t imagine he thought he’d get to I10 that way, but who knows.

Yeah that’s actually what I kinda have been thinking. BUT then looking at the map I realized he really was far out there and going northeast when he should have turned south and continued through downtown. So why did he drive so long on a dark country road? I would have turned right around in a minute or two. I can’t imagine he thought he’d get to I10 that way, but who knows.
UNLESS
it was so dark, he couldn’t find a place to stop and turn around and he just kept pushing forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooreknowledge