Spiders create giant web

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Entomologists are debating the origin and rarity of a sprawling spider web that blankets several trees, shrubs and the ground along a 200-yard stretch of trail in a North Texas park.

Officials at Lake Tawakoni State Park say the massive mosquito trap is a big attraction for some visitors, while others won't go anywhere near it.

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_re_us/odd_giant_spider_web

Entomologists are debating the origin and rarity of a sprawling spider web that blankets several trees, shrubs and the ground along a 200-yard stretch of trail in a North Texas park.

Officials at Lake Tawakoni State Park say the massive mosquito trap is a big attraction for some visitors, while others won't go anywhere near it.

"At first, it was so white it looked like fairyland," said Donna Garde, superintendent of the park about 45 miles east of Dallas. "Now it's filled with so many mosquitoes that it's turned a little brown. There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

[URL]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070830/ap_on_re_us/odd_giant_spider_web[/URL]
Ive never thought of spiders working together to make one web...thanks DK for the link....education never stops.

That is way cool! Thanks for the link DK.

(Dingo, I love your pup.)

"There are times you can literally hear the screech of millions of mosquitoes caught in those webs."

Since when did mosquitoes start screeching?

lol--guess they mean "buzzing"--at any rate,glad its only the web that's huge and not the spiders--otherwise we'd have a Harry Potter scene lol

lol--guess they mean "buzzing"--at any rate,glad its only the web that's huge and not the spiders--otherwise we'd have a Harry Potter scene lol

That's for sure! I was disappointed the link didn't include a picture,I would have loved to have seen it!

This just freaks me out! I watched some crazy movie on TV not long ago with caves and spiders and huge webs. That's what this reminds me of.

Yuck...
It would be a good pace for a horror movie!!

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
I'm not afraid of spiders........... but don't like them.

Oh I would be so traumatized if I accidentally ran through this!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back