Identified! IL - Chicago, UP68274, skeletal, found in backyard, Dream catcher necklace, 16 Mar 2020 - Cheyann Klus

The same thing happened to Rubber City Boy, he was misidentified as an Asian male when he was really a black male. They do seem to have an abysmal record when it comes to UIDs.
I wrote to an investigator in 2016 about this description error in NAMUS, she didn't see the error right away. When I wrote back and pointed it out,I never heard back. Can we request reports from the Chicago Medical Examiner on unidentified persons?

I wrote to an investigator in 2016 about this description error in NAMUS, she didn't see the error right away. When I wrote back and pointed it out,I never heard back. Can we request reports from the Chicago Medical Examiner on unidentified persons?
I don't see that person listed in NamUs anymore. Maybe he was identified?

I hope that person was unidentified. How can we get more information on these bones? Can we request reports for unknown decedents? I spotted another error today on Namus, city was spelled wrong but these description errors can leave these people unidentified for longer. How long after does the Namus profile stay up after identification?

These look similar to the decedents, flat french ear wires? I can't really tell if they were gold or silver.

Attachments

• ss100__95223.1413381077 (1).jpg
    ss100__95223.1413381077 (1).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 10
These look similar to the decedents, flat french ear wires? I can't really tell if they were gold or silver.
Those ear wires are similar, in that they are flat above the loop, but the one for the person found has thicker wire, imho, the loop is fairly large which is not typical for a machine made one. The other end is even with the loop, and that can vary and it is meant to vary with style or weight of earrings, longer that the loop though is pretty typical and the ones you posted have a longer wire. I have those, and I alter them as the shape makes them easy to go in the ear, but also makes them easy to fall out...

I also think the wire for the found ear wire looks heavier, at least 20g or more... 20g is standard but heavy wire is used to ear gauges. The other French wires can be thinner, like 22 or 21... more graceful and better for light small earrings. As ear wires are easy to make, the variations are endless. I also can’t tell if gold or silver!

I found this type by searching brass ear hooks, I cannot find an exact ear hook on the internet This earring or necklace had beads, I'm sure. I wish there was more information about this person. :(

Attachments

• il_794xN.2543115526_c751.jpg
    il_794xN.2543115526_c751.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 7
The picture on namus is bad and the earring is not cleaned up... if both of those happened, more information could be told... I don’t understand why pictures are so poor, and while I do understand not cleaning evidence... but with all of us trying to help, it really handicaps us!

If they took that and other evidence into a mom and pop store with a bench, they wouldn’t get so much information... but they don’t. They would know handmade vs manufactured, they might know the types... they will know the metal etc.

The scale is off... the one found with the earring is pretty tiny, it is 10mm and probably 15mm complete (they put it on the pad crooked... they just don’t care!) 25mm is an inch. A pendent is not usually that tiny, and the broken off parts probably had the “attachment” to whatever. At 15 or so mm, it is more likely an earring, even without seeing an ear wire.
I can’t guess the size of his pendant but it is, based in it and the size of say his chin, I would guess larger than one inch? It is quite a lovely piece.

The scale is off... the one found with the earring is pretty tiny, it is 10mm and probably 15mm complete (they put it on the pad crooked... they just don’t care!) 25mm is an inch. A pendent is not usually that tiny, and the broken off parts probably had the “attachment” to whatever. At 15 or so mm, it is more likely an earring, even without seeing an ear wire.
I can’t guess the size of his pendant but it is, based in it and the size of say his chin, I would guess larger than one inch? It is quite a lovely piece.

Thanks, so we can "skip" Mr. Martin. I think today is "confusion day" for me. Why on earth would they call it a necklace if it's an earring....also what is the string like thing on the dream catcher....that is what makes me think it was worn like a necklace?? What if it was indeed an earring and it broke of somehow..and the person, attached to it, *advertiser censored* it as an necklace instead.....just rambling....

Last edited:
Thanks, so we can "skip" Mr. Martin. I think today is "confusion day" for me. Why on earth would they call it a necklace if it's an earring....also what is the string like thing on the dream catcher....that is what makes me think it was worn like a necklace??
I doubt many policemen have the time to be craft jewelers, or understand the size. Sadly the lack of care in photos, the fact that they have the entire skeleton but cannot determine gender from pelvis or skull is weird. The string is the to the rest of the earring, as in the webbing of of the dream catcher as it looks like a chunk of the outside broke but the strings are usually durable so it stays mostly intact imho...
I do all my measurements for jewelry in metric so I knew it was tiny... if you don’t use it... well you don’t have a feel for it. That is all.

I doubt many policemen have the time to be craft jewelers, or understand the size. Sadly the lack of care in photos, the fact that they have the entire skeleton but cannot determine gender from pelvis or skull is weird. The string is the to the rest of the earring, as in the webbing of of the dream catcher as it looks like a chunk of the outside broke but the strings are usually durable so it stays mostly intact imho...
I do all my measurements for jewelry in metric so I knew it was tiny... if you don’t use it... well you don’t have a feel for it. That is all.

Don't get me wrong...I go along with you....I'm just very annoyed about the whole non-information thing or inaccurate information, just like you.

Djeez....it feels like this place is haunted.

@Bit of hope LOL...That was my first thought.

The dreamcatcher reminds me of the later 1980's, when dreamcatcher earrings were popular. They were cheap, and had the exact same back on all of them. They were sold at places like Claire's in your local mall.

I wonder if the Chicago PD/Cook County ME looked at Sylvia Renee McElroy...
Sylvia Renee McElroy – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

McElroy was last seen in the area of 63rd and King Drive with a friend and an unidentified male, getting into a brown four-door late 1970s model Buick in Chicago, Illinois on November 10, 1987. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Sylvia Renee McElroy, 27 years old, Black Female, DLC: November 10, 1987
5'6"-5'8" tall, 125-135 lbs, Medium length black hair tinted burgundy, Brown eyes
Last seen wearing navy blue pants, blue and white shirt, long trench coat, black purse

63rd and King is only 2 miles from 68th and Dorchester...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back