Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to quickly address the name changes as well (I counsel adoptive families). Many families choose to give their adopted children family names, change their middle name, and sometimes even the first name (depending on the situation). Our children all chose to change some part of their names, and two of them changed their names completely. Both of them were named after people who they were trying to forget.

The children are grafted into the adopting family, they are considered “biological” by law. IMO the biological family should not have been called into question so quickly. Birth mom hadn’t visited/seen the children in over two years.

So, yes, it’s done often in the adoption world and there is nothing “nefarious” about it.

Of course, there are so many other sketchy things about this case... IMO.
Thanks for the explanation

On another note the birth mom is very vocal but some of it isn't on MSM. I wonder if she knew who had adopted her kids prior and how vocal she was in getting them back prior to them going missing.
I dont think she has anything to do with their disappearance just intrested I'm the dynamics.

It would be interesting to know how much they received, and what part of California they moved from. If they were getting the full amount per child and then moved where housing is under $200k, that could be a windfall.
I live in a coastal county that borders Kern, I consider KC to be much cheaper to live in. It's been said they moved from Bakersfield to Cal City.
IMO, you are not going to be able to buy a three bedroom stick house in Bakersfield for $197k.

@susiQ my first thought reading about these boys the very first time was---why did he panic and run into the house? Did he think the boys would catch mom wrapping presents??

Why did he panic and run "into" the house. The danger isn't "in" the house, danger is outside the fence.

I thought he was trying to relay that he panicked because he didn't know where the kids were.

The adoption subsidies posted are correct. I adopted from CA foster care, but remember most of the kids are special needs and are severely traumatized. It takes A LOT to have a child removed from their family and the family's rights to be terminated. The adoption subsidy in our case pays for therapy (many sessions a week) and just barely. Even though we have Medi-Cal the kids need more specialized care.

I don't know what the situation is in this case...who knows what the outcome will be? But in general foster, adoptive parents are not getting rich and the children they adopt are amazing, but some have lifelong issues and trauma and often they will be parenting their child at home well into their children's adult lives.

Last edited:
Help me speculate please.
Why did TWO children, brothers, have to disappear?
What are the odds of two kids going missing at once?

Why?

Amateur opinion and speculation
It’s baffling isn’t it?
Usually it’s a custody issue or kids wandered off together and got lost in woods or hid or fell into water :(
(Doesn’t SEEM to be the case here based on LE stopped searching the area, all interested parties are accounted for that we know of)

Or there is family annihilation/ murder-suicide (not the case here)

Otherwise what kind of accidents would be covered up?? Something that is criminally negligent perhaps? Like the kids ingesting an illicit substance?? (I keep seeing news stories of babies dying from overdoses... I don’t really get how it happens but it apparently does). Or there was an NYPD officer who punished his kid by making him sleep in the cold garage and he died...??

Stranger Abduction is rare but possible.

If these kids were abducted, why aren’t all the extended adopted family out there showing recent pics and demanding the searches continue and vehicle descriptions from the area? The silence from the broader adopted family is worrisome. JMO

This is so strange .. Looking at the front of the house, there is an attached 2-car garage, with driveway. The very last picture in the slideshow shows a (?) detached garage with another driveway to it. This detached building and the second driveway do not show in the view of the front of the house.

`

I must have missed the part when he talked about the kids not touching the dirt. I'm not sure what that means.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is his throwing the wood over the fence while the kids were playing. Wouldn't he be afraid to hit them with a log, especially since they were so rambunctious? And if he was looking where he was throwing, wouldn't he have noticed whether the kids were there or not?

I also thought his response to the biological mom blaming them on the kid's disappearance was odd. He didn't deny it, but said he understood and would feel the same way. Then he said "That's exactly the point." I'm not sure which part he was referring to as being "the point."
Idk if you watched the entire 13 minute video but when the interview begins an eerie feeling as soon as the dad starts detailing the events...he states that they don't/can't go off into the dirt area and that they "keep them close"...and that seemed strange to me. He seemed like they were threatened by someone and NEEDED TO KEEP THEM CLOSE.....<modsnip>

This is another video if the complete 13 minutes just in case. Listen to him and watch his demeanor and how weak yet protective he sounds about keeping them close....yet the irony here is obvious because if that were true then wrTF ate the boys right? And he made it his wifes idea that they agreed upon and SHE TOLD HIM TO not have them on the dirt and to keep them close to him or the house or to her but to something or somewhere.

In the first 2 minutes maybe he says it and it unravels from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk if you watched the entire 13 minute video but when the interview begins an eerie feeling as soon as the dad starts detailing the events...he states that they don't/can't go off into the dirt area and that they "keep them close"...and that seemed strange to me. <modsnip>

This is another video if the complete 13 minutes just in case. Listen to him and watch his demeanor and how weak yet protective he sounds about keeping them close....yet the irony here is obvious because if that were true then wrTF ate the boys right? And he made it his wifes idea that they agreed upon and SHE TOLD HIM TO not have them on the dirt and to keep them close to him or the house or to her but to something or somewhere.

In the first 2 minutes maybe he says it and it unravels from there.

Yeah, I listened to it again and I heard him say they do not let the boys go on the dirt in the back yard and they keep them close. The mother also said the boys are not the type to roam around and they have never taken off, so it's hard to believe the boys vanished so fast since they claim to keep a close eye on them.

According to LE the boys were not seen on camera leaving through the gate, in which case it would seem impossible that they ever left the yard or the house.

Both parents believe they are close by and "here" somewhere, yet they both think the boys were picked up by someone. I wonder what makes them so sure they are close by. If they were kidnapped they could be anywhere.

I must have missed the part when he talked about the kids not touching the dirt. I'm not sure what that means.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is his throwing the wood over the fence while the kids were playing. Wouldn't he be afraid to hit them with a log, especially since they were so rambunctious? And if he was looking where he was throwing, wouldn't he have noticed whether the kids were there or not?

I also thought his response to the biological mom blaming them on the kid's disappearance was odd. He didn't deny it, but said he understood and would feel the same way. Then he said "That's exactly the point." I'm not sure which part he was referring to as being "the point."

Maybe while he was “throwing wood” he accidentally hit them with a log or a tree limb over the other side of the fence. It wouldn’t take much to fatally injure two small children. Most kids are curious and if daddy was busy doing something on the other side of the fence like throwing wood over the fence it may have piqued their curiosity and they went to check it out and were struck by a falling log or limb. The throwing wood, building the fire, making sure he says he or his wife agreed to keep them close and off the dirt, saying they’re rambunctious, the panicking are either all “ extra unnecessary details” or some elements of truth weaved into a bs scenario. It may have been accident and they “panicked” and hid their bodies. Jmo

Maybe while he was “throwing wood” he accidentally hit them with a log or a tree limb over the other side of the fence. It wouldn’t take much to fatally injure two small children. Most kids are curious and if daddy was busy doing something on the other side of the fence like throwing wood over the fence it may have piqued their curiosity and they went to check it out and were struck by a falling log or limb. The throwing wood, building the fire, making sure he says he or his wife agreed to keep them close and off the dirt, saying they’re rambunctious, the panicking are either all “ extra unnecessary details” or some elements of truth weaved into a bs scenario. It may have been accident and they “panicked” and hid their bodies. Jmo
Yes, I mentioned earlier that it didn't make much sense for him to be throwing wood over the fence if he knew the children were on the other side.

I noticed that he switched to the present tense when he told that part of the story.

There may have been some kind of accident, but I doubt it had anything to do with throwing wood.

Yes, I mentioned earlier that it didn't make much sense for him to be throwing wood over the fence if he knew the children were on the other side.

I noticed that he switched to the present tense when he told that part of the story.

There may have been some kind of accident, but I doubt it had anything to do with throwing wood.

I thought that too but the wood would be twigs and small branches.....i drove by there. It looks like you see it in the video. Tumbleweed bushes, goathead bushes and trouble weeds and nowhere for any small children to be able to get far....They DO, HOWEVER, live near a busy kind of treet that leads out of town, there are families here riding their toys (atv, ohv..etc) not too far along that same road, plenty of open space in the other direction and the road into the heart of the city in the last direction. All of these roads are a block over from them at the corner intersection but they would have to walk more than 5/6 parcels down and over a block to reach that intersection and Dad would have crossed them if they had gone that way but it gets EXTREMELY DARK down there and I don't like being that way as an adult.
<modsnip>
I hope this brings light to what we need more people to step up and for the citizens and city to stop making excuses and AFFORD more police and/or hire civilian investigators to help out. They have people for the building and none for the streets and detective work and someone is exploiting this and silently operating a sick mind in the city.

<modsnip>

IDK I just feel like there is some lack of concern and care going on regarding the kids but so much energy put into rebuttals? Maybe it is just me though.

The adoption subsidies posted are correct. I adopted from CA foster care, but remember most of the kids are special needs and are severely traumatized. It takes A LOT to have a child removed from their family and the family's rights to be terminated. The adoption subsidy in our case pays for therapy (many sessions a week) and just barely. Even though we have Medi-Cal the kids need more specialized care.

I don't know what the situation is in this case...who knows what the outcome will be? But in general foster, adoptive parents are not getting rich and the children they adopt are amazing, but some have lifelong issues and trauma and often they will be parenting their child at home well into their children's adult lives.

They may not get rich but the ones who are in it for the money and I am sure it's a very small percentage, will neglect the basic needs of the kids, heavily restrict their foods, homeschool them, don't take them to appointments. They dont spend the money on the kids.

Easy explanation, call 911, I didn't know my kids were there and the tree fell on them. A young couple with no past history of abuse, adopting many kids seen as good people. Even parents who leave their kids in cars get off. Accidents are rarely ever covered up like this.

If parents are responsible I see no situation where it was an accident, especially since its both boys.
On that note Happy New Year everyone.

Yeah, I listened to it again and I heard him say they do not let the boys go on the dirt in the back yard and they keep them close. The mother also said the boys are not the type to roam around and they have never taken off, so it's hard to believe the boys vanished so fast since they claim to keep a close eye on them.

According to LE the boys were not seen on camera leaving through the gate, in which case it would seem impossible that they ever left the yard or the house.

Both parents believe they are close by and "here" somewhere, yet they both think the boys were picked up by someone. I wonder what makes them so sure they are close by. If they were kidnapped they could be anywhere.
The part where TW says they are close by and he wants to look in people's homes- not to invade their privacy, but to make sure the boys aren't hiding. Odd, it was just plain weird.

Playing devils advocate; to me the reason for saying this is obvious. It's a look here, not there tactic. So if he wants people to look for the boys close to the home, well they probably aren't. Frankly there's no telling how long they have been missing. LE isn't forming search parties in the desert around Cal City. So where are they searching? Prior residences or areas around Bakersfield?

Easy explanation, call 911, I didn't know my kids were there and the tree fell on them. A young couple with no past history of abuse, adopting many kids seen as good people. Even parents who leave their kids in cars get off. Accidents are rarely ever covered up like this.

If parents are responsible I see no situation where it was an accident, especially since its both boys.
On that note Happy New Year everyone.

I agree with you 110% about calling 911 and I was just trying to add on to a possible accident and coverup scenario. Has it been established or reported that there was no history of abuse? Do we know the circumstances that led to the leg fracture on on the older child? Why were the other children taken away after the boys were reported missing?
Interesting when the parents were asked what kind of boys they are the father repeated that they are rambunctious, they’re playful and they do like to wrestle and kinda get rough with each other and the mother chimes in with “ They’re kids” Hmmm... what about sweet, smart, curious, independent, love to play with cars or trucks, puzzles, love to be read to etc. That (among other things in that interview) didn’t sit well with me. Those poor little boys :(

Happy New Year to you too!

Last edited:
Was the only interview done on the day of disappearance? Playing devils advocate here, but the children hadn’t been missing long so they may have been worried but not terrified just yet.

OTOH if my younger children are out of my sight for a few seconds I panic.

Jon Walker, Police Chief for the California City Police Department says foul play is suspected, right now. He says they're waiting for findings of the pictures and items from the house, that were taken to Bakersfield for further investigation.

Jon Walker, Police Chief for the California Police Department says they believe the front window, now covered with plywood was vandalized. He is asking the community to not trespass on the property and to respect the West family's privacy.

There's going to be a community search party looking for the boys on Saturday at 1. Community members will meet at the corner of Proctor Blvd. and California City Blvd.
Cal City community members ask dirt bike riders to look for missing boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member