Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. In the last 10 minutes, my daughter-in-law told me that her best friend's husband's parents had them for Christmas without telling them they were COVID positive. Husband is now positive, wife doesn't have symptoms so she is waiting for slower test. She's pregnant, though, and works in NICU. I can't even.
I’ve never punched anyone in my life, but if I did I’d start with these two. There’s no excuse for their behavior. Just terrible selfish people who should be ashamed of themselves but never will be. I hope their son realizes how awful this was and treats them accordingly going forward.

I wish people like this would be jailed, fined and/or successfully sued. Something that affects them directly because that’s all they care about. In my mind it’s right up there with MaMa Watts refusing to keep nuts away from her allergic grand-daughter just to prove a point.

Excuses shouldn’t be made for people like this. They are monsters.

Yes, she wasn't informed until arrival. She knew she would have to quarantine for 2 weeks, notwithstanding her negative Covid test, but expected it to be at home.
Now I wonder whether there was actually a possible situation on the flight. ?
No. She did not research what was required of her. Especially if she was flying in from a heavily infected country.

That is exactly what this The Guardian opinion piece says ...

Encouraged by their leaders, the US and UK chose instant gratification instead, and will now pay the price.
Thinking back now on how these leaders failed, when according to a colourful chart (the 2019 Global Health Security Index) they had so much going for them, it’s hard not to be reminded of the marshmallow experiment. If you aren’t familiar with this classic test of a child’s ability to delay gratification, watch this YouTube video posted by the Canadian newspaper the Globe and Mail.

The UK and the US need to learn from countries that better handled Covid-19 | Laura Spinney
THIS "And yet good leadership, public trust in government and experts, and a sense of solidarity also powerfully shape a population’s vulnerability to infectious disease."

Could it not potentially make the situation worse with virus mutations?! Not sure...

I know, but virus mutations are expected in the course of a pandemic. Right now, the scientific community does not know what effect this mutation has. There have been bits of evidence that though it may be more contagious, it may be less deadly because instead of settling deep in the victim's lungs, it grows in the nose, ear, and throat. If this the case, it may follow other influenza strains that became less deadly over time. But, take it with a grain of salt. The mutation has not been investigated sufficiently to make any categorical statements at this time.

The Spanish flu did not disappear in the 1920s. It simply mutated into a less deadly form of flu and is still with us.

“Dr. Jeff Bahr, president of Aurora Health Care Medical Group in Wisconsin, said Thursday the culprit had taken the vials out of fridge two nights in a row

He not only took them out overnight Friday as first thought but had also done so Thursday - returning them to the fridge the next morning before anyone noticed”

[...]
  • He faces charges of first degree recklessly endangering safety, adulterating a prescription drug, and criminal damage to property.
    • Wisconsin pharmacist Steven Brandenburg, 46, was booked on Thursday on the same charges
    • Brandenburg is also listed as a licensed pharmacist in Wisconsin.

• 37479206-9103981-The_male_healthcare_worker_has_not_officially_been_named_A_roste-m-13_1609480959366.jpg

No. No possible situation on the flight. It is absolutely 100% normal. ALL incoming travellers - no matter where you are coming from, or how many negative tests you have - go into medi hotels for 14 days here. Straight from the plane.

I am sure that it would have been in the fine print somewhere in her travel documents. She would have had to apply for special permission to get a repatriation flight here - they are the only kind of incoming passenger flights we are allowing.

We tried home quarantining, initially. It doesn't work very well. Too many people have their own idea on what quarantine means. It does not mean pop out to the shops because you ran out of milk.

I have no idea what she read or didn't read.....she described this on her FB page.

But I wish this system could be enacted in the US. It's high time we had some competency and leadership in controlling this.

I’ve never punched anyone in my life, but if I did I’d start with these two. There’s no excuse for their behavior. Just terrible selfish people who should be ashamed of themselves but never will be. I hope their son realizes how awful this was and treats them accordingly going forward.

I wish people like this would be jailed, fined and/or successfully sued. Something that affects them directly because that’s all they care about. In my mind it’s right up there with MaMa Watts refusing to keep nuts away from her allergic grand-daughter just to prove a point.

Excuses shouldn’t be made for people like this. They are monsters.
And now Ma and Pa Watts want the insurance money for the lives their son took.

I have no idea what she read or didn't read.....she described this on her FB page.

But I wish this system could be enacted in the US. It's high time we had some competency and leadership in controlling this.

It is a difficult system ... that costs a lot. I hope she knows that she will be paying for her medi hotel stay. Our state govts no longer cover the cost for the incoming travellers. There are not only the meals/essentials to be provided, there is also security (police) to pay for, and nursing staff, psychologists, two covid tests, the bus companies that transport them from airport to medi hotel, cleaners to sterilise the hotel rooms, and the hotel(s) for the rooms.

Last I heard, travellers pay about $3,000 for a 14-day medi hotel stay. Not sure if they pay that up front, or afterwards/during.
That is why I think she has missed some important info somewhere along the way.

Having said that, you would be hard pressed to find an Aussie who doesn't support us having this system. It is what is giving us our freedom. It is what allows us to (mostly) do what we want, when we want, and stay healthy - with sensible restrictions.

This system is also why we can only take limited numbers/flights, as we need to have the available medi hotel space to quarantine all these people for 14 days.

Last edited:
New Year’s Eve parties crowded Tampa Bay on same day Florida broke coronavirus record
Tampa Bay residents took to bars and clubs on the holiday, throwing aside coronavirus precautions.

FVYKI5NBYNF3NB7RTSKKFGNQ2E.JPG

Crowds of patrons gather on 7th ave. as they celebrate New Years Eve at nightclubs and restaurants on Friday in Ybor City. [ LUIS SANTANA | Times ]

“TAMPA— Packed New Year’s Eve celebrations raged across the Tampa Bay area on the same day that Florida broke its coronavirus caseload record with more than 17,000 cases added in one day.“

[...]

“The upward trend of coronavirus cases is likely to continue after the New Year’s holiday when younger people bring the coronavirus back to their multi-generational homes, said Dr. Marissa Levine, a professor of public health and family medicine at the University of South Florida.

“If any of these young adults that we’re seeing in these parties are bringing it home to those type of households, that’s where we run the risk of more serious cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths,” Levine said.“

[...]

“In addition, Levine said, a mutated version of the virus, which is more transmissible than the original strain, has already made its way into Florida and could have spread in the packed crowds.“

[...]

“But still, massive parties happened throughout the state. CBS Miami reported that South Beach and Fort Lauderdale Beach were crowded with revelers, although the cities shut down their typical large celebrations.

Social media posts show Miami’s Wynwood Walls & Arts District packed with partiers watching live music and dancing. Hundreds filled the street in South Beach for the holiday—some with masks, many not.“

Last edited:

"Currently, the motive for such behavior is not known and law enforcement are trying to establish what triggered Brandenburg into such anti-social behavior."

I no longer believe this statement. Now that they know that he did this intentionally, and that he knew it would render the vaccines useless, I think they probably know exactly why he did it. I imagine it is a reason that they are not going to release, because it will be the most stupid and conspiratorial reason. IMO

“The confirmed case out of Martin County came just hours after the state broke a record with more than 17,000 new COVID-19 cases reported in a single day.“

New COVID-19 virus strain in Florida: What you need to know | WFLA

““The virus is becoming more fit, and we’re like a deer in the headlights,” warned Dr. Eric Topol, head of Scripps Research Translational Institute.

He noted that the U.S. does far less genetic sequencing of virus samples to discover variants than other developed nations do, and thus was probably slow to detect this new mutation.“

New COVID-19 variant found in Florida, marking nation’s 3rd confirmed case | WFLA

Last edited:
Reading this was heartbreaking. What a great man and what a loss. How many more teachers who “don’t know where they got it” and “were always careful” have to die before we’ll realize opening schools back up isn’t nearly as harmless as it’s portrayed to be. IMO anyway.
Yes!!! This is crazy and so heartbreaking. Not one more should have to lose their lives!!!

Just hearing this makes me sick.
Me too! I want to shake him to his senses!!
I'm the mom that didn't allow my preschoolers in McDonald's because of thier nasty, germy ball pits!
Drive thru only!
I watched kids with runny noses, poopy through the pants and saw a kid vomit in them!
There was no pandemic then!
I'm so irritated.
Moo

It is a difficult system ... that costs a lot. I hope she knows that she will be paying for her medi hotel stay. Our state govts no longer cover the cost for the incoming travellers. There are not only the meals/essentials to be provided, there is also security (police) to pay for, and nursing staff, psychologists, two covid tests, the bus companies that transport them from airport to medi hotel, cleaners to sterilise the hotel rooms, and the hotel(s) for the rooms.

Last I heard, travellers pay about $3,000 for a 14-day medi hotel stay. Not sure if they pay that up front, or afterwards/during.
That is why I think she has missed some important info somewhere along the way.

Having said that, you would be hard pressed to find an Aussie who doesn't support us having this system. It is what is giving us our freedom. It is what allows us to (mostly) do what we want, when we want, and stay healthy - with sensible restrictions.

This system is also why we can only take limited numbers/flights, as we need to have the available medi hotel space to quarantine all these people for 14 days.
A system like this makes sense if things are relatively stable and under control within the borders of a country. In the US, this sort of thing at this point would be a huge waste of time and resources with the level of virus transmission already present. We would be better off, IMO, investing a ton of time, money, and resources into public education on the vaccine and getting the vaccine mass produced and distributed and administered. Even here on WS, we have people commenting on how someone got covid even though they had the vaccine. There is a fundamental lack of understanding on how this vaccine works, what can be expected from it and when, etc, not to mention the lack of public trust in the vaccine itself which is extremely prevalent among certain groups of people.

Our cases aren’t being imported from incoming flights from other countries as a general rule. That might actually make things far easier if true. (Though I’m not sure if this forced quarantine thing would ever fly here in the US regardless... I’m not sure it’s even legal? Though I guess we did do something very similar early on with the cruise ship folks. They were taken to military bases and quarantined, without having a choice about it really.)

There is great uproar in Canada, specifically Alberta, right now over several elected officials being caught travelling to warm destinations over the holidays - while preaching the opposite. Just disgusting.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jason-kenney-conference-1.5859278
I saw this!!! Awful! The one of the official who traveled and pre-recorded messages to post automatically on social media was a new low IMO. How on earth do these officials expect anyone to listen to them or take them seriously??

Canadian finance minister Rod Phillips caught in St. Barts after video in sweater in front of fire | Daily Mail Online

This one over the Chicago teachers union lady who wants to act horrified at the thought of teachers being expected to go to work, but she’s a-ok with international travel... I just can’t believe people think they won’t end up on the front page of the news Doug idiotic things like this.

Chicago Teachers Union leader under fire for pushing remote schooling while vacationing in Caribbean — Fox News

A system like this makes sense if things are relatively stable and under control within the borders of a country. In the US, this sort of thing at this point would be a huge waste of time and resources with the level of virus transmission already present. We would be better off, IMO, investing a ton of time, money, and resources into public education on the vaccine and getting the vaccine mass produced and distributed and administered. Even here on WS, we have people commenting on how someone got covid even though they had the vaccine. There is a fundamental lack of understanding on how this vaccine works, what can be expected from it and when, etc, not to mention the lack of public trust in the vaccine itself which is extremely prevalent among certain groups of people.

Our cases aren’t being imported from incoming flights from other countries as a general rule. That might actually make things far easier if true. (Though I’m not sure if this forced quarantine thing would ever fly here in the US regardless... I’m not sure it’s even legal? Though I guess we did do something very similar early on with the cruise ship folks. They were taken to military bases and quarantined, without having a choice about it really.)
I would think it would be an administrative nightmare trying to collect the monies owing from the people who were forced to quarantine for 14 days in a specific place. It would probably end up costing more in collection activities than they would've received in reimbursements. It's an excellent idea to do though, and congrats to Australia if they can pull it off. That would surely prevent a lot of people from UNessential travel, knowing they'd have to fork out the money for all of the services used, and lose two weeks of their time/life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam