Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bel
The boys were adopted in April 2019. How old were they back then? Babies. It’s possible the parents had unrealistic expectations as to how the little boys would change the dynamics of the family composition. Couple that with a possible lack of understanding how the babies needs might interfere and conflict with the older children’s wants. Six kids? It’s a lot. I’m the oldest of six stair steppers. I do not know how Mama survived. I had four kids under the age of five. Looking back, my mind goes mostly to the sweet pleasures and family pride. I do remember those days, weeks, I wanted to pull my hair out and my husband’s too! Cause he was lucky. He got to go to work and escape.

i believe they are summer babies so they were one and two but almost 2 and 3.

From my understanding they were all there the 21st. The mother had wanted the 2 smallest boys to go outside Bc she was wrapping presents and didn’t want them to see . I’m assuming it’s Bc she was wrapping as “Santa “ presents . I don’t believe her story though .
bbm

Agreed.
Wonder if LE found wrapped gifts ?
That's important and would've directed how they've handled this investigation thus far.
(I have a good idea about what they're thinking.)
MOO

Sorry I tried to fix the quote and it's still wrong.

Last edited:
When I worked in retail, we were instructed never to call out a missing child's name or say it over the paging system. If there's a chance of foul play, you don't want to reveal any information (such as a child's name, nickname, etc.) that would aid an abductor. When a parent lost sight of their child, a "code" was announced to all employees so that we knew to guard exits & be on high alert until we got the all clear.

That aside, the more panicked I am, the quieter I become; screaming isn't the only indicator of fear. So, for me, there's no way to accurately assign meaning to the parents' reactions without knowing the rest of the circumstances of the boys' disappearance. JMO.

i am also quiet in fear.

I’m the same way. I freeze when I’m scared. My son was lost when he was 3, and I was not yelling and screaming, it was all I could do to move forward to look for him.

me too.

also, when i called my family to tell them my 12 year old needed brain surgery, i said it perfectly calmly and they all burst into tears. same as when i had to tell them one of my other kids had cancer. i feel like im far away when i announce these things and when i have realized my kids wandered off. now that i think of it, i prob have PTSD.

I had four stair-steppers; my last two were boys born 10 months apart. I was all alone in a new state with zero family. I hid in the closet most of the time writing in my journal - waiting for my husband to get off his shift. Family Circus...
I’m an Irish twin, we are as close as identical twins. She’s still after 63 years my closest friend, my most cherished relationship.

Thank you!

#4 If it were an open adoption, that would explain how she knew, if it was not, you may be right about SM, some people have no issue with putting such private details of their lives on SM.

Re. the bolded: I agree, sadly.
JMO but if bio parental rights were terminated, I don’t think there would be an open adoption. I know if I adopted from foster care and was in that situation, no way would I want bio parents knowing where I lived.

JMO but if bio parental rights were terminated, I don’t think there would be an open adoption. I know if I adopted from foster care and was in that situation, no way would I want bio parents knowing where I lived.

Which could explain the initial lack of information released. I don’t believe the birth mother knew where they were until now.

According to this article (link below) This spokesperson for Kern County Department of Human Services (DHS) details how a bio parent can regain custody. Not easy, but not out of the question. Being that the two boys were adopted, it would appear that they were already past the much desired family reunification option.

Of course we are not privy to the details, so this is only to further understand the dynamics of the bio moms involvement post adoption. May have nothing to do with their disappearance, or everything to do....

edited to add - to be clear, I am in know way accusing anyone of anything. Just thinking about custody issues and how terrible they can be.

"Slagle added that the goal post-foster care is family reunification, if the biological parent is deemed fit to take care of their child after six months of reforming their lives and court decisions. regular check-ups would occur even after if granted. If not, adoption is the next step.

“That process can take up to 18 months to two years to finalize, because biological parents are giving many chances to make those changes,” Slagle said. “So it’s not a fast process.”

When asked if biological parents can obtain custody post-adoption, Slagle said the cases are rare, but still possible. It’s carefully decided by the courts and the biological parent has to prove they’ve changed since their custody was denied."

Disappearance of California City boys places spotlight on fostering, adoption process

Last edited:
I gotta agree with you. I’m leaning toward child abuse/neglect resulting in death. I think (and this is my opinion) the primary caregiver emotionally, physically and mentally snapped after progressive child maltreatment. It may have been a coping mechanism for stress (taking their frustrations out on someone who can’t fight back) TW mentioned the pandemic for a reason, possibly blaming whatever happened on COVID-19. The move to Cal City possibly could have been triggered by reasons unknown to us at this time. Trigger circumstances and consequences combined with need to pack - logistically planning to move a family of eight with six children moving about underneath parent’s feet, all cooped up inside due to covid restrictions - the kids are bored, upset, squabbling with one another, hungry, etc. etc. Moving is a top stressor in life events along with others such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces and unemployment. I think someone is covering for and protecting someone including themselves. And now they’re in too deep to alter their story. I think the one who feels the most guilt will confess.
Agree-- then add in Christmas, which can be stressful enough on its own, but add all the other conditions you mentioned and HUGE STRESS factor, IMO

When the parents lose parental rights I think they can still have an open adoption, but it's up to the adoptive parents to decide whether or not to communicate with them, if at all.

From what I remember, the parents said they had not been in contact with the birth mother. I don't think she knew where they lived.

Imo

When the parents lose parental rights I think they can still have an open adoption, but it's up to the adoptive parents to decide whether or not to communicate with them, if at all.

From what I remember, the parents said they had not been in contact with the birth mother. I don't think she knew where they lived.

Imo

In one of the very first video interviews with the bio mom, standing in the street in front of the parent's home, the bio mom said "I don't even know them". She went on to say just after that, that she thinks they did something to her boys.

So... if she doesn't even know them, how in the world did she know where they live?
There seems to be a lot about this case that just doesn't make any sense.

Orrin and Orson West Case Archive:
Orrin and Orson West -CA-

I added all the photos of the weekend searches that I could find, and the articles to go with them.
Please go and take a look.
Someone asked me yesterday how much I make per view. The answer: 0. Nada. I actually have to pay for the site storage and
it is not cheap.
The only pay I get is knowing we can go back and see the archive and remember stuff in a couple years if and when there is a trial!
So check it out.
Photobucket, before the new and improved (NOT) changes, used to tell me the view numbers and I had control of organizing. Not any more.
Thank you so much..
Your work is so valuable and I appreciate it with every case you put together.
I know it's tough with the kid's cases, darn it all, but I rely on your resources as I am sure many here do also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member