Resolved NJ - Sandyston Twp., Male, 20-40, found in Stokes State Forest, 8 Dec. 2020

Panhypopit

Reaction score
https://theridgewoodblog.net/nj-sta...es-state-forest-in-sussex-county/#more-149481

The man is estimated to be between 20 to 40 years old, 5’7,” 171 pounds, with a large scar on his right knee and several tattoos. He was wearing a black “Swiss Tech” hooded jacket, a grey “Members Mark” thermal long-sleeve shirt, “Rustler” denim jeans, brown “Brahma” leather boots, “Haines” blue and green plaid boxer shorts, black “FG” work gloves, a red knit hat, and a grey fabric face mask. He was also in possession if a black magnetic compass, a “Life Straw” water filtration straw, a fire starter, and a small piece of tinfoil.

Below is a graphic created by detectives the New Jersey State Police Forensic Imaging Unit which provides a description of all the tattoos.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit at 609-882-2000, ext. 2554 or the Sussex County Prosecutor’s Office at 973-383-1570, ext. 4710.”

https://theridgewoodblog.net/nj-sta...body-in-stokes-state-forest-in-sussex-county/

"On December 8, 2020, the body of an unidentified white male was located by a hunter in a wooded area approximately 300 yards off of Tower Trail in Sandyston Township.

The man is estimated to be between 20 to 40 years old, 5’7,” 171 pounds, with a large scar on his right knee and several tattoos. He was wearing a black “Swiss Tech” hooded jacket, a grey “Members Mark” thermal long-sleeve shirt, “Rustler” denim jeans, brown “Brahma” leather boots, “Haines” blue and green plaid boxer shorts, black “FG” work gloves, a red knit hat, and a grey fabric face mask. He was also in possession if a black magnetic compass, a “Life Straw” water filtration straw, a fire starter, and a small piece of tinfoil."

NJ State Police seek help IDing man found dead in Stokes State Forest

136815059_3519166871471163_8975475578244034686_o-395x335.jpg

Anyone with information is asked to contact the New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit at 609-882-2000, ext. 2554, or the Sussex County Prosecutor's Office at 973-383-1570, ext. 4710.

Strange that this body was found a month ago, and the information is just being released now.

Camping was still permited in the State Park here until December 15th. Reservations were required, so guessing they have already checked for any sites that were booked.

Found with a compass and firestarter and a filtration drinking straw-sounds like he was camped out somewhere and had his essentials with him when he left camp. The compass makes me think he was deep into the woods. The mask makes me think he was on the move and needed to stop in markets/post offices, that kind of thing. I believe the Appalachian Trail nearby is closed to thru hikers but really how does anyone police that? Wondering if they did any ground searches for a possible tent/campsite? Millions of people visit this wildlife area yearly. You can be back in the woods and think you are all alone and come across a guy and his family from Germany. It is that beautiful of a place. And a very peaceful place, considering you are a morning's drive from NYC and have the major trail crossing. If they haven't found an abandoned car he might have parked, which would stick out in those parts, I am guessing he had a campsite of some sorts if he didn't have a pack nearby where he was found.

Towns in this area are small, so if he is local someone will definitely recognize the tattoo's pretty fast.

ETA: Another odd thing - in all of the local articles I have read, I don't see a cause of death anywhere. If the body was found a month ago, the ME definitely should know by now

Last edited:
There has been nothing on any media about him until tecently that I could find. But the link first posted says the cause of death was suicide. My guess is the link was updated. it was so cold back then, maybe he just couldn't take the cold anymore and was also in a bad frame of mind. I've picked up hikers there at the end of October who wanted off the trail. They were just so cold on the ground. Very sad if he was homeless. I wonder if they tried to identify thru so many tatoos and hit a wall so asked the public for help. If it was suicide, that would explain why they didn't go public right away.

I also watched some hiker videos. beautiful videos, but didn't spot him anywhere. Now I am guessing they did search for a campsite. Maybe he stashed his things in some rock space. Assuming they checked their tattoo databases, I hope this hits bigger media than just local. He is someone's son, someone's friend.

There has been nothing on any media about him until tecently that I could find. But the link first posted says the cause of death was suicide. My guess is the link was updated. it was so cold back then, maybe he just couldn't take the cold anymore and was also in a bad frame of mind. I've picked up hikers there at the end of October who wanted off the trail. They were just so cold on the ground. Very sad if he was homeless. I wonder if they tried to identify thru so many tatoos and hit a wall so asked the public for help. If it was suicide, that would explain why they didn't go public right away.

Thanks Wild Rose. I must have missed that in the article. Very sad indeed.

IMO my kids have tats the new inks are incredibly vibrant, the colors do not fade nearly as fast as they used to.
How sad that this man took his life , prayers for him to be at peace and in a better place, I hope he gets his name back and can go home

I actually came looking for this and wondering if anyone had found any further information. I cant seem to find any details about hair or eye color... makes it a bit harder to identify him and with the tattoos being artist recreations they could actually be faded and not as vibrant as in the pictures which could throw off some people who are trying to identify them.

Towns in this area are small, so if he is local someone will definitely recognize the tattoo's pretty fast.

ETA: Another odd thing - in all of the local articles I have read, I don't see a cause of death anywhere. If the body was found a month ago, the ME definitely should know by now
They do know the cause of death. I think the newspaper was being tactful/delicate in not stating it. (I have the information, but am not at liberty to share.) The manner of death is confirmed as suicide.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoptti
Back