Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
check this one out:

Former hospital CEO who went on Dominican vacation to get more than $1M payout

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...i5AFuidlUekOt27hpPYFlL-8Y6AF82AfVhb3QC_0O7lZ8
Apparently the board approved his vacation. News is saying it's not clear whether the board knew of his travel plans to go to Dominican, but obviously the president of the hospital knew, so what are the chances that the board DIDN'T know? (Word spreads!) I'd say close to zero chance. So they approve his vacation, and then fire him? And apparently it's also not clear whether he was fired or quit? Seems to me that considering the amount to be paid out to him, it would have been better to keep him working for that same amount of money, instead of paying TWO people, one to stay home and one to actually work the job. Then how about if they... (who???) wrote him up, and kept it in his personnel file, so they could fire him without paying severance, if he got into more bad moves down the road. If employees have been told they HAVE to work in covid infested nursing homes as part of their hospital duties, and have been told they're not allowed to take their earned vacation, then why would the board figure the CEO was entitled to take time off during a provincial/national/world health crisis? The whole board should be fired for approving it. imo.

I'm also wondering where Ontario is getting this boat load of money lately? There's not enough money to pay less-than-fulltime staff for time off if they must quarantine if exposed to this virus, or even if they get sick with it, but apparently there are millions available to blow on a CEO who's not going to even be working for his money, because he took an approved vacation. Scapegoat city.

Apparently the board approved his vacation. News is saying it's not clear whether the board knew of his travel plans to go to Dominican, but obviously the president of the hospital knew, so what are the chances that the board DIDN'T know? (Word spreads!) I'd say close to zero chance. So they approve his vacation, and then fire him? And apparently it's also not clear whether he was fired or quit? Seems to me that considering the amount to be paid out to him, it would have been better to keep him working for that same amount of money, instead of paying TWO people, one to stay home and one to actually work the job. Then how about if they... (who???) wrote him up, and kept it in his personnel file, so they could fire him without paying severance, if he got into more bad moves down the road. If employees have been told they HAVE to work in covid infested nursing homes as part of their hospital duties, and have been told they're not allowed to take their earned vacation, then why would the board figure the CEO was entitled to take time off during a provincial/national/world health crisis? The whole board should be fired for approving it. imo.

I'm also wondering where Ontario is getting this boat load of money lately? There's not enough money to pay less-than-fulltime staff for time off if they must quarantine if exposed to this virus, or even if they get sick with it, but apparently there are millions available to blow on a CEO who's not going to even be working for his money, because he took an approved vacation. Scapegoat city.

It sucks when contracts include severance packages, but it is standard for senior gov't and corporate positions.

I don't think his specific international vacation was approved, but of course if he was entitled to vacation time he could have requested it and had it easily approved - no details required.

He may have told someone where he was going for vacation, but that does not translate to the board approving foreign travel during requested vacation.

It sucks when contracts include severance packages, but it is standard for senior gov't and corporate positions.

I don't think his specific international vacation was approved, but of course if he was entitled to vacation time he could have requested it and had it easily approved - no details required.

He may have told someone where he was going for vacation, but that does not translate to the board approving foreign travel during requested vacation.
If your staff has been denied vacation requests, and told they must leave their usual hospital post to go and work in a covid infested nursing home as part of their duties, it's just simply inappropriate for the CEO to feel it's the right time for his own vacation time. Sometimes those making the bigger bucks need to suck it up and set an example and walk the talk. I guess more will come to light in the coming days as to how much the board knew prior to approving the CEO's vacation. imo.

Still trying to figure out what "more transmissible" means, wondering whether it means that we dropped some defences during the Summer and now we are more vulnerable, that we should avoid all contact with other people until we are sure that it isn't in the air - 28 days?

If your staff has been denied vacation requests, and told they must leave their usual hospital post to go and work in a covid infested nursing home as part of their duties, it's just simply inappropriate for the CEO to feel it's the right time for his own vacation time. Sometimes those making the bigger bucks need to suck it up and set an example and walk the talk. I guess more will come to light in the coming days as to how much the board knew prior to approving the CEO's vacation. imo.

Staff routinely make vacation requests. Vacation time is banked, vacation requests are routinely approved - often electronically. It's no one's business what employees do with their vacation time, however, federal government directives have been in place regarding essential travel since March 2020.

Work approves vacation time, work respects employee privacy, CEOs respect the federal government.

Where was he CEO?

Staff routinely make vacation requests. Vacation time is banked, vacation requests are routinely approved - often electronically. It's no one's business what employees do with their vacation time, however, federal government directives have been in place regarding essential travel since March 2020.

Work approves vacation time, work respects employee privacy, CEOs respect the federal government.

Where was he CEO?

[bbm]

London Health Sciences Centre! that might not sound familiar to you but people come there from all over - I think it's actually the two biggest hospitals in the area - they merged (aside from Toronto?)

Last edited:

Where was he CEO?

[bbm]

London Health Sciences Centre! that might not sound familiar to you but people come there from all over - I think it's actually the two biggest hospitals in the area - they merged (aside from Toronto?)
This particular one was CEO of St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton, Dr. Tom Stewart.

[bbm]

The London guy was the one who flew to UK 5 times during the period of Covid.

the States actually, unless there's a third one in the mix
I don't know why I was thinking about the London guy - I guess that's who I was reading about & forgot to link

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/paul-woods-fired-as-lhsc-ceo-after-pandemic-travel-to-usa-1.5868429#:~:text=Paul Woods has been fired as CEO of,to the United States, where he has family.
Yes, that's him.. don't know why I was thinking he'd gone to UK.. must've been mixing up the 'London' part? Who knows... anyway.. in further news:

Former London hospital CEO files $2.5M lawsuit after being fired for traveling to the U.S.
Former London hospital CEO files $2.5M lawsuit after being fired for traveling to the U.S.

Still trying to figure out what "more transmissible" means, wondering whether it means that we dropped some defences during the Summer and now we are more vulnerable, that we should avoid all contact with other people until we are sure that it isn't in the air - 28 days?

I'm thinking it's about how much the virus wants to survive. Seems as if it already has it's host's masking, distancing and hand washing figured out... no host ... no survival.

It's difficult to say why COVID-19 is so highly contagious.

Ontario announced new COVID-19 lockdown rules Tuesday and everyone, from the mayor of Toronto to the cops tasked with enforcing them, says they’re confusing.

What You Can And Can’t Do Under Ontario’s New Lockdown
From the link:
Too funny :D:

As per usual, Ontario's new directives are inherently contradictory. You may only go out for essential purposes. Also, if you go out to pick up your non-essential goods, you only have until 8p.m. pic.twitter.com/flHdQCGsiO

— Robyn Urback (@RobynUrback) January 12, 2021

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members