GUILTY MO - Bobbi Jo Stinnett, 23, slain, fetus stolen, Skidmore, 16 Dec 2004

I'm not here to debate the death penalty and I'm pretty sure it's against TOS anyways.

I do have an objection to how this whole campaign to save Lisa was presented- it turned her into such a paralyzed victim, taking wild claims she's making at face value even when they are directly contradicted by the evidence and her own testimony. Then it's being turned into a feminist cause even though the victim herself was a woman...and women are disproportionately less likely to end up on death row compared to men and even less likely to be executed. But it's a campaign of dishonesty. I just read an article that among other things claimed 2 different experts testified that Lisa "brought rape on herself"- in fact those experts said Lisa's MOM said this TO Lisa & talked about how damaging it would be for a child to hear- they actually HELPED her mitigation case-but the truth apparently doesn't matter when you're writing an anti death penalty plea. I think those campaigning to save Lisa are playing fast and loose with the truth & telling themselves the ends justify the means, that it's necessary to save her life- but all it does is repel people when the truth is distorted and these cynical tactics are used.

I'm not here to debate the death penalty and I'm pretty sure it's against TOS anyways.

I do have an objection to how this whole campaign to save Lisa was presented- it turned her into such a paralyzed victim, taking wild claims she's making at face value even when they are directly contradicted by the evidence and her own testimony. Then it's being turned into a feminist cause even though the victim herself was a woman...and women are disproportionately less likely to end up on death row compared to men and even less likely to be executed. But it's a campaign of dishonesty. I just read an article that among other things claimed 2 different experts testified that Lisa "brought rape on herself"- in fact those experts said Lisa's MOM said this TO Lisa & talked about how damaging it would be for a child to hear- they actually HELPED her mitigation case-but the truth apparently doesn't matter when you're writing an anti death penalty plea. I think those campaigning to save Lisa are playing fast and loose with the truth & telling themselves the ends justify the means, that it's necessary to save her life- but all it does is repel people when the truth is distorted and these cynical tactics are used.
Very good!

I'm sad, but I'm glad it's over. Justice was served.

I do need to ask what we have learned from this case. I believed I learned more about myself. Lately it seems everything is a learning experience. It's not really "what happened", but how we, as human beings, deal with it. IMO

I'm sad, but I'm glad it's over. Justice was served.

I do need to ask what we have learned from this case. I believed I learned more about myself. Lately it seems everything is a learning experience. It's not really "what happened", but how we, as human beings, deal with it. IMO

She had no last words: no apology for her horrific crime.

U.S. Executes Lisa Montgomery for 2004 Murder

I was shocked to see it. I actually got chills--- but I do believe she deserved what she got--
I was surprised to see the news this morning. I had thought she would receive a last minute stay of execution.

Also surprised there was no apology to the family.

Thinking today of the girl growing up without a mother because of this woman’s heinous crime.

I was surprised to see the news this morning. I had thought she would receive a last minute stay of execution.

Also surprised there was no apology to the family.

Thinking today of the girl growing up without a mother because of this woman’s heinous crime.

She certainly could have said words of apology to the family: the fact that she didn't tells me she was truly the cold-hearted killer we knew she was.

This case was one of the reasons I joined WS - not because of the death penalty, but because I wanted to know the "why?"
I have read extensively and studied the trial transcript - I would be very interested in these articles you cited in your comment. Is there any way you could let me know?
I am particularly disturbed by anyone who says that "Lisa brought rape upon herself." Considering that her sexual abuse began when she was a very young, I can't believe anyone would say a child brings rape upon herself.

She certainly could have said words of apology to the family: the fact that she didn't tells me she was truly the cold-hearted killer we knew she was.

Indeed. Her background was shockingly bad, but that is no justification whatsoever in any way for her heinous crime. The vast majority of people who experience trauma and abuse don't go on to gruesomely plan a murder of a total innocent person and kidnapping of that person's child. She made a choice and suffered the consequence. If she'd murdered one of her abusers in self-defence I'd be on her side 100%.

I don't agree with the death penalty, and I'm glad my country doesn't have it. But in this case it was given as a sentence and carried out according to law, and I can't say I feel even a little bit bad about it.

This case was one of the reasons I joined WS - not because of the death penalty, but because I wanted to know the "why?"
I have read extensively and studied the trial transcript - I would be very interested in these articles you cited in your comment. Is there any way you could let me know?
I am particularly disturbed by anyone who says that "Lisa brought rape upon herself." Considering that her sexual abuse began when she was a very young, I can't believe anyone would say a child brings rape upon herself.

No one said it other than Lisa's mother.

A 'Prisoner of War' Story: The Life and Captivity of Lisa Montgomery—The First Woman To Be Executed by the Federal Government in 68 Years

"Lisa’s criminal trial in 2007 proved to be a continuation of the coercion and lack of agency she had experienced her whole life. An expert witness for the prosecution, Dr. Daniel Martell, testified that Montgomery may have been a “willing participant” in her own violent sexual torture as a young teenager. Another prosecution witness said he questioned whether Montgomery had consented to the brutal violations of her body. "

This absolutely didn't happen

No one said it other than Lisa's mother.

A 'Prisoner of War' Story: The Life and Captivity of Lisa Montgomery—The First Woman To Be Executed by the Federal Government in 68 Years

"Lisa’s criminal trial in 2007 proved to be a continuation of the coercion and lack of agency she had experienced her whole life. An expert witness for the prosecution, Dr. Daniel Martell, testified that Montgomery may have been a “willing participant” in her own violent sexual torture as a young teenager. Another prosecution witness said he questioned whether Montgomery had consented to the brutal violations of her body. "

This absolutely didn't happen

I had read this statement in the trial transcript and subsequent articles discussing Lisa's background - her mother was every bit a horrid monster.

My sympathy for Lisa Montgomery completely stopped the second she attacked Bobbi Jo Stinnett - there is no justification for the murder perpetrated on her - that being said, the type and severity of abuse suffered by LM as a child was bound to have serious and violent consequences. I have no doubt that had LM not suffered the way she did as a child, BJS would still be alive today.

I have issues with the way the death penalty is used in our country- not with the punishment itself, but with the procedures of it - which cases are deemed appropriate, who is prosecuted with it, the price - in financial cost and toll on the victims family, etc. I think the only true justice in using the death penalty would be if the victims were to come back to life once the criminal was executed. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen and our court system is left to sort out the problems. This case and all of the wickedness associated with it, will certainly be studied in the future - I can only hope something can be learned.

I also wanted to say thank-you to my fellow commenters here - even when there is disagreement, we have shown respect for other opinions and beliefs. I know respect is the rule of WS, but sometimes, it can be overlooked. It is good to see that we can all share our ideas and learn from each other. ;-)

Well said tabulator. I have sympathy for the girl Lisa was but not for the woman that murdered bobbi-jo.
Many children and adults go through horrific abuse, but most of them do not go on to commit heinous crimes.
The planning that went in to the murder and kidnap was clearly there. IMO that says to me, Lisa thought this through and had to have organised thoughts while going ahead with this.
She didn't murder just any random pregnant woman on impulse. She lied, pretended and tricked.

Just watched a show on ID about the murder of Bobbi Jo Stinett by Lisa Montgomery. This case haunts me to this day. They went methodically through how Montgomery stalked her prey ( Bobbi Jo), researched how to perform a Csection and carried out her cold blooded murder plan, leaving the innocent Bobbi Jo to bleed out on the floor. Lisa lied to her husband--- thank goodness the internet really is what helped catch her quickly so the baby could be saved.
She initially lied to the police, changing her story several times until she was trapped by her lies and finally admitted what she had done.
She never expressed remorse when she was caught, not did she express remorse when she was put to death Jan 2021. If there is any case on this earth in which the perpetrator deserved the death penalty, this is the case. Rest in peace Bobbi Jo, your precious baby is said to be doing well in he loving arms of her father.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back