TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it have had something to do with this (unrelated) incident earlier today, about 16 minutes from Luling?

"Multiple deputies responded along with Luling EMS and Southeast Volunteer Fire Department crews. The child was taken to Seton Edgar B. Davis Hospital in Luling, where they were pronounced dead by staff."

Caldwell County deputies respond after child dies following tractor accident

Probably. *sigh* I dont know that she knew about it when she was texting me during lunch. I was so hoping they were searching again.

Great information, thank you, and welcome to our conversation.

I'm just curious, do you think Jason missed that turn toward I-10 at the light, and that's how he ended up on Salt Flat Road? How far was he from that light in town? And is it possible he might've originally accessed Salt Flat Road after turning left at that light (instead of right), and then turning right onto Pumper Road... before ending up on Salt Flat?

What do you think might've happened to Jason after the wreck?

I think it's more likely that whoever was driving, they went straight across 183, which turns into Austin street which, if followed about 1/4 of a mile, turns into SFR. Taking a left at that light, the driver would have had to take a slight right off another Highway (I believe it's 86 but I'm blanking out) then turned on Pumper Road, then turned left on SFR. If Jason was driving, I can't imagine that's the way he would go. Seems much more likely he would have gone straight across 183 and continued onto SFR. The accident site is 5 miles or so past that light.
No idea what happened. I've seen all the speculation on this site, but the whole situation is just too weird to even guess at what happened. As I initially said, I believe if he was incoherent and wandered off and didn't make it, the searchers would have found something. My family and I have tried to guess what might have happened and we've talked to others in Luling about it, but everyone is just guessing.
I will say that for as long as I've been out here and of driving age, I've seen a lot more "sketchy" people on those country roads. I've ridden a 4 wheeler multiple times past the accident site (prior to all this happening), but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore. I've been nervous a few times myself coming up on a couple of cars stopped on the side of the road.
And as far as a continued search, I haven't seen any sign of that. I'm sure, as LE says, they are waiting on more information.
Also, I'm more than happy to answer any other questions about the area, etc. I think all the guessing about what happened has already been covered, so I don't have anything more to offer on that front.

Last edited:
I’m glad you brought up Pumper Rd. I was looking at a map of the area & Pumper Rd stood out to me for some reason. He could have very well got confused or turned around with it being so dark and traveled down that particular road. But honestly, there are so many places he could have gone. I just pray there are answers soon.

I brought up Pumper Rd very early with a mapped route because it would be the logical route one most likely would take to get to the area of Salt Flat Rd (if that was his destination).

JL would simply turn left (vs right for HI-10) at the light on 183N. This is the major roadway with an easy connection to Pumper Rd via FM86. It's well lit/traveled in comparison to JL proceeding straight through the intersection (continuing on E. Austin) as believed (and if he simply missed the turn leading to HI-10).

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

I brought up Pumper Rd very early with a mapped route because it would be the logical route one most likely would take to get to the area of Salt Flat Rd (if that was his destination).

JL would simply turn left (vs right for HI-10) at the light on 183N. This is the major roadway with an easy connection to Pumper Rd via FM86. It's well lit/traveled in comparison to JL proceeding straight through the intersection (continuing on E. Austin) as believed (and if he simply missed the turn leading to HI-10).

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2
I understand what you are saying, but there is no real "destination" out there. He would have to be going to a destination of "somewhere north of Pumper Road on SFR". Who knows, you may be correct. I drive that route almost every day and I always take Austin to SFR and then I turn on Soda Springs Road, so I don't get all the way to the accident site in my normal drive. I guess if he knew the area and knew where he was going, he might take the route you mentioned, but if he was mixed up I think it's more likely he went across 183 and basically kept going "straight" to where the accident occurred. I don't think any nav system would "accidentally" take him on either route. If he took your route, I think that definitely means he (or whoever was driving) knew the area and chose it because it was desolate.
Also, at that time of night, 86 between 183 and Pumper Road is not well traveled or lighted.

I understand what you are saying, but there is no real "destination" out there. He would have to be going to a destination of "somewhere north of Pumper Road on SFR". Who knows, you may be correct. I drive that route almost every day and I always take Austin to SFR and then I turn on Soda Springs Road, so I don't get all the way to the accident site in my normal drive. I guess if he knew the area and knew where he was going, he might take the route you mentioned, but if he was mixed up I think it's more likely he went across 183 and basically kept going "straight" to where the accident occurred. I don't think any nav system would "accidentally" take him on either route. If he took your route, I think that definitely means he (or whoever was driving) knew the area and chose it because it was desolate.
Also, at that time of night, 86 between 183 and Pumper Road is not well traveled or lighted.

I think you misunderstood the context of my post about SFR being JL's destination, and I apologize my post was unclear.

Very early, members had numerous theories about why JL was 5 miles out of his way on SFR -- especially since I believe it would be near impossible for JL to get lost traveling from San Marcos to Houston when he only had one turn to connect to HI10 interchange (and dad stating that JL constantly used a navigation app).

When I referred to SFR as JL's destination -- this was in reference to the abandoned house on SFR near the crash after some contemplated that perhaps JL made a detour to connect with someone on SFR. Again, this was very early in the discussion with OP and no longer applicable.

Unless Sunday night traffic in Luling has drastically changed, I think Pumper Rd has got to be less than 4 mins from the intersection E. Austin/Magnolia (183 to the Napa Store, turn on FM86).

Good to have you here @Lulingresident6 to keep us straight! :)

135655464_10214913707516114_6310980883586607329_n.jpg

bringing the pic of his car forward
Thank you for bringing this forward! I looked at the pic again, more closely this time, and I noticed that to me it appears that NO airbags deployed on his car. I have been in 1 wreck where the airbags deployed. It was an older model car but had airbags in the steering wheel & passenger dash area. I could be missing the airbags, it is pretty early here where I am, but I just don't see them. Normally even after the wreck, the airbags stay slightly puffed out which would make them visible afterward as well.
Does anyone else notice this?

Thank you for bringing this forward! I looked at the pic again, more closely this time, and I noticed that to me it appears that NO airbags deployed on his car. I have been in 1 wreck where the airbags deployed. It was an older model car but had airbags in the steering wheel & passenger dash area. I could be missing the airbags, it is pretty early here where I am, but I just don't see them. Normally even after the wreck, the airbags stay slightly puffed out which would make them visible afterward as well.
Does anyone else notice this?
Front impact airbags only deploy when there is a hit on the front of the car at around 35 MPH or greater. Since we were told by the father there were no side airbags in the car the only ones would be for the front impact.
If the car spun and the first direct hit was the rear side of the car then no airbags would deploy in that crash. They haven't shown a picture of the full front of the car, but the front damage seems minor and possibly only to the corner - a side hit to the front would not deploy the airbags.

Are there any houses on this road near where his car was wrecked? Would he have gone to a random home looking for help maybe (I know we don't know this answer)? I think it's a stretch that he would be harmed because he went to the "wrong" house looking for help, but....

I wonder if any residents in the area were asked to look in any out buildings/walk their property, check a second time even. IMO

I'm coming into this way late. I've combed through most of the thread but admittedly haven't read every post, so forgive me if this has been brought up and discussed.

After reading that his car was found locked, with keys and phone inside, I started wondering if he locked himself out accidentally after the wreck.

Could the following have happened?

- Somehow he ended up on that road, (lost Waze connection, missed turn, tried to avoid police, whatever).

- Wrecked (animal in the road, distracted by something, whatever).

- Realizing he had whatever illegal narcotics were found in his backpack on him he decided to hide them before calling for help. With plans to retrieve them later.

- He gets out, hides the backpack, returns to the car, only to realize he has locked himself out.

- At this point he walks away from the wreck to get help. Possibly injured, gets disoriented and ends up in the woods somewhere a ways from the crash site.

All just thinking out loud to see if I could have missed a detail that negates this possibility.

Are there any houses on this road near where his car was wrecked? Would he have gone to a random home looking for help maybe (I know we don't know this answer)? I think it's a stretch that he would be harmed because he went to the "wrong" house looking for help, but....

I wonder if any residents in the area were asked to look in any out buildings/walk their property, check a second time even. IMO

Yes, I wondered early on if they had asked landowners to check deer blinds on their property. Not sure if this was ever done. There are a number of deer blinds visible from the road in that area and I could see him seeking shelter in one of those and maybe not making it through the cold night due to injuries. I can't imagine that searchers wouldn't check outbuildings and deer blinds.

Last edited:

There are houses in the area, but between the accident site and any houses, there are a number of roads that turn off of SFR and go into oil patches. I believe the closest non-abandoned house is probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile away or so. At that time of night, i'd be nervous about heading up a driveway to an occupied house...too risky considering this is out in the country and everyone has guns. That said, if someone came to my house at that time of night, I would likely have my gun in my hand and wouldn't open the door until I was comfortable with who was out there. I would likely not open the door and tell them to stay on the porch while I called the sheriff to come out.

There are houses in the area, but between the accident site and any houses, there are a number of roads that turn off of SFR and go into oil patches. I believe the closest non-abandoned house is probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile away or so. At that time of night, i'd be nervous about heading up a driveway to an occupied house...too risky considering this is out in the country and everyone has guns. That said, if someone came to my house at that time of night, I would likely have my gun in my hand and wouldn't open the door until I was comfortable with who was out there. I would likely not open the door and tell them to stay on the porch while I called the sheriff to come out.
Great to have a local posting here. In your opinion, what is the general consensus of locals in the area? Did something nefarious occur or was this simply an unfortunate accident and he wandered off and has not been found yet?

Last edited:
Yes, I wondered early on if they had asked landowners to check deer blinds on their property. Not sure if this was ever done. There are a number of deer blinds visible from the road in that area and I could see him seeking shelter in one of those and maybe not making it through the cold night due to injuries. I can't imagine that searchers wouldn't check outbuildings and deer blinds.

RBBM

to elaborate in case anyone is confused: deer blind (or hunting blind) can be a chair or a sling or any kind of structure that a hunter sits in while waiting to shoot. They can be enclosed and have a set of steps (some are 4' or 8' off the ground)

[Learned all this from the Jesse Crookston discussion]

The lack of news on this case is frustrating. Perhaps there's some really useful evidence or information that hasn't yet been shared with the public or MSM. Considering the numerous LE agencies and jurisdictions involved, my concern is that each one thinks the other is actively investigating leads, whereas in reality, little is being done by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419