Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be the same reason that the US doesn't like to think of the 1918 pandemic as the "US" virus or the "Kansas" virus. Poor Spain got saddled with the title instead ... because they were the first to admit that the virus was in their country.

Which is why I always make it a point to call it what it was, the 1918 pandemic.

The 1918–1919 influenza pandemic killed more people than any other outbreak of disease in human history.
That review suggests that the most likely site of origin was Haskell County, Kansas, an isolated and sparsely populated county in the southwest corner of the state, in January 1918.
The site of origin of the 1918 influenza pandemic and its public health implications.

I would have no problem if the 1918 Flu were called the "Kansas Flu" or the "Haskell Flu." From what I understand, they don't know the exact origin, and I don't think Spain suffered from the name that stuck.

But, okay, let's just say some people are so sensitive that they oppose the traditional naming of viruses by geographic location. We have, after all, become a politically correct world, so I can see dropping that type of naming.

Back to China--they still bear an enormous responsibility for the spread of Covid 19 because they sought to cover-up the presence of the virus, and, during that time, it escaped. A whole lot of blood is on their hands no matter what we call the virus. That's inescapable.

It's the careless actions of the Chinese government that created the animosity--and they're not a little third-world country that's subject to discrimination--they're a First World Nation with more financial assets than nearly any nation.

We still have the fact that China arrested and silenced doctors and journalists who tried to get the word out about the virus. They have to be held responsible for that. Covering up a virus this deadly is almost an act of war.

But, I agree, we don't need to call it the China virus. We just need to hold China accountable for their actions.

I would have no problem if the 1918 Flu were called the "Kansas Flu" or the "Haskell Flu." From what I understand, they don't know the exact origin, and I don't think Spain suffered from the name that stuck.

But, okay, let's just say some people are so sensitive that they oppose the traditional naming of viruses by geographic location. We have, after all, become a politically correct world, so I can see dropping that type of naming.

Back to China--they still bear an enormous responsibility for the spread of Covid 19 because they sought to cover-up the presence of the virus, and, during that time, it escaped. A whole lot of blood is on their hands no matter what we call the virus. That's inescapable.

It's the careless actions of the Chinese government that created the animosity--and they're not a little third-world country that's subject to discrimination--they're a First World Nation with more financial assets than nearly any nation.

We still have the fact that China arrested and silenced doctors and journalists who tried to get the word out about the virus. They have to be held responsible for that. Covering up a virus this deadly is almost an act of war.

But, I agree, we don't need to call it the China virus. We just need to hold China accountable for their actions.

While I understand what you are saying, this is China we are speaking of. That is like trying to make Kim Jong Un or Putin responsible for any of their behaviour. What outcome would you be seeking?

You will be interested in a new ITV documentary that will be aired at some time in the near future. Chinese medics on tape admitting to being told to be quiet about the virus because their govt wanted to go ahead with New Years celebrations.

“We knew this virus transmitted from human to human,” one of the medics says.
“But when we attended a hospital meeting, we were told not to speak out.”
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...m-chinese-doctors-on-hidden-cameras-c-1992818

However, I think the US has much bigger problems than seeking accountability from China at the moment. There will be no accountability on their part.
There is a departing US president who also denied the lethality of the virus ... and that is not China's fault. My country (among many others) managed to see it.

There are an anticipated 100,000 more covid deaths to happen in the US over the next four weeks, morgue space is filled, ICUs and hospitals are filled, 400,000 people dead, a national catastrophe ... because a US leader - and some state leaders - would not take the virus seriously and get the nation on board in every which way they could. Take every precaution. Blood on their hands also. IMO

There is plenty of blame to spread around all over the place.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

But a group of scientists in South Africa have warned that vaccines could be less effective against the 501Y.V2 strain that is driving a second wave of Covid-19 infections there, because it has an extra mutation in a key part of the spike protein that the virus uses to enter human cells. A study of serum from 44 South Africans, who had previously been infected with earlier versions of the Sars CoV-2 virus, found that 90 per cent were not fully protected against the new variant — and the antibodies in about half the sample were not at all protective.

Nor I. I’ve already decided I’m in precaution mode for the long haul whether I get a vaccine sooner or later. And this new variant throws a possible monkey wrench into it all. So even with the vaccine, it won’t make a difference in how I live my life until they get it sorted out and decide if it’s resistant or not. I won’t know if I’m really protected until then. I will just embrace being a recluse, except for zoom, and carry on.

While I understand what you are saying, this is China we are speaking of. That is like trying to make Kim Jong Un or Putin responsible for any of their behaviour. What outcome would you be seeking?

Probably something along the lines of censure at an international level and perhaps sanctions.

You will be interested in a new ITV documentary that will be aired at some time in the near future. Chinese medics on tape admitting to being told to be quiet about the virus because their govt wanted to go ahead with New Years celebrations.

“We knew this virus transmitted from human to human,” one of the medics says.
“But when we attended a hospital meeting, we were told not to speak out.”
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...m-chinese-doctors-on-hidden-cameras-c-1992818

I'll keep my eye open for that one. Thanks! I've heard some of the stories, and they're heartbreaking.

However, I think the US has much bigger problems than seeking accountability from China at the moment. There will be no accountability on their part.
There is a departing US president who also denied the lethality of the virus ... and that is not China's fault. My country (among many others) managed to see it.

There are an anticipated 100,000 more covid deaths to happen in the US over the next four weeks, morgue space is filled, ICUs and hospitals are filled, 400,000 people dead, a national catastrophe ... because a US leader - and some state leaders - would not take the virus seriously and get the nation on board in every which way they could. Take every precaution. Blood on their hands also. IMO

There is plenty of blame to spread around all over the place.

For sure the US has its own set of problems, some that could have been reduced and some not, and we should deal with those as well. Your country did, thankfully, take the virus seriously, but they are also brave enough to hold China responsible, even at risk of losing trade agreements. I admire that.

Part of our mistakes will serve as learning experiences so we can all plan ahead in case another pandemic arrives. But, I still feel as though the world must take a hard-line approach to China because if we let them get by with this -- they (and others) will do it again.

Just my opinion, though.

@Surgeon_General
My last asks of you as 20th U.S. Surgeon General: - Wear masks - Wash hands - Watch your distance - Wait to gather - When it’s your turn, get vaccinated - And the most important thing:
Love one another. That’s how we really improve health.

Nice to watch the new administration on TV, with everyone wearing a mask. New attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77