Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James P Freund #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohh, really read on SM and a website that is dedicated to the Sumter Does, (Sumter Mystery Couple) that GLH /Lonnie was a truck driver, my mistake then, for thinking this was accurate.

You could be right....he could have been a truck driver...but there was also a truck driver who found the bodies...i believe

You could be right....he could have been a truck driver...but there was also a truck driver who found the bodies...i believe
Yes, according to what I have read, a truck driver found the bodies, while he pulled over to take a break, called it in, by his radio on his truck, it was suggested on a podcast by crime junkie. Also there was a witness, who heard the shots, (I think.. a few hours before the bodies were discovered) and heard car drive quickly back onto the highway . So maybe not a truck, but a car..?!
ETA: 189UFSC

Last edited:
Yes, according to what I have read, a truck driver found the bodies, while he pulled over to take a break, called it in, by his radio on his truck, it was suggested on a podcast by crime junkie. Also there was a witness, who heard the shots, (I think.. a few hours before the bodies were discovered) and heard car drive quickly back onto the highway . So maybe not a truck, but a car..?!
Apparently the person who found them was Martin Durant. This comes from the local newspaper from the day of. It also states that they took plaster casts of the tire tracks, so shouldn't they know from that what type of vehicle it was? I don't remember reading about these casts in later articles, though.

I tried to tag christine2448 but it wouldn't let me. Is this person still with us? I would love to hear from them.
Anyway I'm at work so I get to miss the press release. Maybe someone around here will post something about it. Ya think?

Apparently the person who found them was Martin Durant. This comes from the local newspaper from the day of. It also states that they took plaster casts of the tire tracks, so shouldn't they know from that what type of vehicle it was? I don't remember reading about these casts in later articles, though.

LE probably never released info on the type of vehicle. I know that they need to keep some info secret, but seriously? After 40 years?

LE probably never released info on the type of vehicle. I know that they need to keep some info secret, but seriously? After 40 years?
Maybe some more details will be told, beside their names....
I tried to tag christine2448 but it wouldn't let me. Is this person still with us? I would love to hear from them.
Anyway I'm at work so I get to miss the press release. Maybe someone around here will post something about it. Ya think?
We are, all in overdrive here, so I guess, it wouldn't be a problem, if there is any news to mention.

I just looked it up and the person (if I am not mistaken) , who had the gun in his possession, died on May 20, 1982 at the age of 63.
He survived his son, who drowned a few years, before the Sumter Does were shot.

I'm not sure if that is quite accurate. Lonnie Henry was pulled over and arrested for drunk driving about four months after the murders. His son did drown in the PeeDee river but it was several months before his dad was arrested for drunk driving. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that his son had something to do with the murders and Lonnie was trying to protect him by filing down the serial numbers.

LE recovered the serial numbers and that's how they traced the gun to Lonnie's brother who said he gave the gun to him for Christmas and the serial numbers were still on it. So without knowing the exact date of Lonnie's arrest we don't know what Christmas he was referring to; Christmas 1975 or Christmas 1976 which was four and half months after the murder.

Lonnie's son also killed someone by driving over them with a dump truck. He sounded quite troubled.

Still waiting for the release...don't think Pamela is our Jane Doe....It will at least take two hours for the presser from European time...it will be 10.oo in the evening here....don't know if I want to wait that long...I'm tired....

ETA: 189UFSC

The person who heard the gunshots (didn't see anything) said he heard the shots, the car doors slamming and a squeal of tires, which suggests a car rather than a truck unless it was a pickup truck rather than a rig. I believe locals are probably involved in the murders. Whether it was a crime of opportunity or just some aggrieved local who didn't like "hippies" in his neighbourhood, we'll probably never know.

I thought you gave the names of the two male members in an earlier post? Are we not talking about the same people?

I meant I didn't look up anything further about the two names, like whether or not they were still alive or could be Jock Doe. Initially I believed the guy at left in the photo was her husband. Once that turned out to be incorrect I dropped the matter.

I'm not sure if that is quite accurate. Lonnie Henry was pulled over and arrested for drunk driving about four months after the murders. His son did drown in the PeeDee river but it was several months before his dad was arrested for drunk driving. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that his son had something to do with the murders and Lonnie was trying to protect him by filing down the serial numbers.

LE recovered the serial numbers and that's how they traced the gun to Lonnie's brother who said he gave the gun to him for Christmas and the serial numbers were still on it. So without knowing the exact date of Lonnie's arrest we don't know what Christmas he was referring to; Christmas 1975 or Christmas 1976 which was four and half months after the murder.

Lonnie's son also killed someone by driving over them with a dump truck. He sounded quite troubled.
According to find a grave, GLH's son (CGH) died in 1973. GLH's wife in 2002,if I am not mistaken and found the right name in this case. It says, he fathered one child, his son.

I meant I didn't look up anything further about the two names, like whether or not they were still alive or could be Jock Doe. Initially I believed the guy at left in the photo was her husband. Once that turned out to be incorrect I dropped the matter.

Okay, thanks. I'm still confused over which PB it is, since one is supposed to be alive and kicking. The athletic blonde, I believe. The other PB is the girl with the long dark hair (who looked so much like Ted Bundy's victims). Just an hour to go and the mystery will be solved. At least for their identities. The crime of murder is still a mystery.

That is correct about the gun, Lonnie and his son. He claimed the gun came from his brother as a Christmas gift and he (Lonnie) did not possess it at the time of the murders. I believe the brother denied ever having it.

MOO...I have always thought robbery was the motive, during which time their wallets were taken. Thus, no identification was found with the bodies. Their rings and other jewelry were not taken because it would have been traceable.

upload_2021-1-21_11-59-23.jpeg
I just can’t quit staring at this photo. It’s remarkable.
Created: 1 September 2016
This photo has been circulated around the internet going on five years now. It’s so cool ~ the rebirth of their names ~ given to them by their parents so long ago. Someday for all of us; hopefully far far in the future ~ our names will be memories on the tips of the tongues of those we crossed paths with along our journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks