Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Anthony Fauci seemed to contradict reports that the Trump administration had no plan for widespread Covid-19 vaccine rollout, telling reporters in the briefing room, “we’re certainly not starting from scratch, because there is activity going on in the distribution.”

He touted plans for community vaccine centers, pharmacy buy-in, and targeted use of the Defense Production Act, adding, “it's taking what's going on, but amplifying it in a big way.”

“No, I mean we’re coming in with fresh ideas, but also some ideas with the, with the previous administration, you can’t say it was absolutely not usable at all. So, we are continuing but you're going to see a real ramping up of it.”

Fauci disputes reports vaccine distribution efforts have to start "from scratch"

(Note that the previous words about an unworkable previous plan were from 'a source')
There’s just SO MUCH that is actually true to criticize the outgoing administration on, it seems silly to blatantly lie and make things up that are easily proven untrue.

I will say I didn’t realize we were *already* just shy of reaching Biden’s goal of administering a million doses a day before he ever took office. Hopefully we are able to blow that whole “100 million doses in a 100 days” goal out of the water.

There’s just SO MUCH that is actually true to criticize the outgoing administration on, it seems silly to blatantly lie and make things up that are easily proven untrue.

I will say I didn’t realize we were *already* just shy of reaching Biden’s goal of administering a million doses a day before he ever took office. Hopefully we are able to blow that whole “100 million doses in a 100 days” goal out of the water.

I think one of the issues is (as I linked earlier) that some states have only administered 1/3 of their vaccine doses. And, consequently, doses are now unusable as they have passed their usability time. Wasted vaccines. Hopefully they can get those (unidentified) states up to scratch.

A woman came into the library today with just a plastic shield. I told her she had to put a mask on. A shield alone isn't going to protect her, or me from her. Our signs very clearly state that a mask is required. So far, no one has come in with a respirator mask, but if they do, I'm giving them a surgical mask to put over it.

Why should a respirator mask be covered up?

Biden Wants To Get Tougher On Employers Who Expose Workers To COVID-19

Under former President Donald Trump, the federal government gave most employers a free pass when it came to exposing workers to the coronavirus, even in the case of large outbreaks. The inspections were few. The fines were tiny. And new regulations were nonexistent.

On Thursday, President Joe Biden plans to take his first step in reversing that approach, by signing an executive order aimed at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the agency responsible for protecting workers from hazards. The message is simple: It’s time to get more aggressive.

The order will direct OSHA to explore implementing what’s known as an emergency temporary standard ― a new federal regulation that would require employers to take clear precautions against the virus or face penalties.

Occupational health experts and labor unions have been clamoring for OSHA to issue such a standard ever since a national emergency was declared last March. The Trump administration never moved forward with it.

Biden restores ties with the World Health Organization that were cut by Trump.

merlin_182276274_1eec5af0-e983-4682-8cb2-63183549d37e-articleLarge.jpg

Experts from China and the World Health Organization at a hospital in Wuhan last week. A W.H.O. team is in China investigating how the virus jumped from animals to people.Credit...China Daily/Reuters

“The decision by a president who had already put the world on notice that he did not feel bound by longstanding U.S. commitments alarmed public health experts. And on Wednesday, his successor made clear that he views the organization as an ally — not an adversary.

“The W.H.O. plays a crucial role in the world’s fight against the deadly Covid-19 pandemic as well as countless other threats to global health and health security,” Mr. Biden said in a letter to António Guterres, the secretary-general of the United Nations. “The United States will continue to be a full participant and a global leader in confronting such threats and advancing global health and health security.”“

Biden restores ties with the World Health Organization that were cut by Trump.

merlin_182276274_1eec5af0-e983-4682-8cb2-63183549d37e-articleLarge.jpg

Experts from China and the World Health Organization at a hospital in Wuhan last week. A W.H.O. team is in China investigating how the virus jumped from animals to people.Credit...China Daily/Reuters

“The decision by a president who had already put the world on notice that he did not feel bound by longstanding U.S. commitments alarmed public health experts. And on Wednesday, his successor made clear that he views the organization as an ally — not an adversary.

“The W.H.O. plays a crucial role in the world’s fight against the deadly Covid-19 pandemic as well as countless other threats to global health and health security,” Mr. Biden said in a letter to António Guterres, the secretary-general of the United Nations. “The United States will continue to be a full participant and a global leader in confronting such threats and advancing global health and health security.”“

Kamala Harris tweets about speaking to the WHO Director-General

Today, I spoke by phone with @WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. We discussed how the United States will work as a constructive partner to strengthen and reform the WHO—which will be a vital step to controlling COVID-19.

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1352459956897927168

We've just been told that new first lady Jill Biden will make her first public appearance in the role tomorrow. Here's her plans, according to the White House:

"In the afternoon, the First Lady will tour Whitman-Walker Health in Washington, DC to highlight and promote support services for cancer patients and caregivers, as well as hear about the impact of COVID-19 on access to health care, including cancer screenings and prevention efforts"

Biden says all arrivals to the United States will have to quarantine

Sorry for the little run of posts here, but there are so many US covid-good things going on! :)

Anyone flying to the US will be required to present a negative coronavirus test before departing and quarantine on arrival. Biden presented the plans in a speech launching his administration's pandemic response plan.

"We didn't get into this mess overnight, and it will take months to turn this around," Biden warned. "Despite the best intentions we're going to face setbacks." But he declared: "To a nation waiting for action, let me be clear on this point: Help is on the way."

Coronavirus: Joe Biden signs order requiring all US arrivals to quarantine | DW | 21.01.2021

(Although the death toll is so staggeringly sad. Another 10,000 loved ones in just two days. :( )

Open letter from 200 scientists on Vitamin D https://vitamindforall.org/letter.html https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/...

Vitamin D modulates thousands of genes and many aspects of immune function, both innate and adaptive. Higher vitamin D blood levels are associated with lower rates of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Higher D levels are associated with lower risk of a severe case (hospitalization, ICU, or death). Intervention studies (including RCTs) indicate that vitamin D can be a very effective treatment. Many papers reveal several biological mechanisms by which vitamin D influences COVID-19. Causal inference modelling, Hill’s criteria, the intervention studies & the biological mechanisms indicate that vitamin D’s influence on COVID-19 is very likely causal, not just correlation.

Interesting that most of the 200 scientists that wrote the open letter recommend taking 4,000 IU/day. I'm on it!

Why shouldn't doctor's offices be utilized to administer the vaccine?

Just one example here?

In the US, if you go to a doctor's office to get a vaccine, they will charge you a couple of "extra fees" for the injection, and an office visit on top of the charge for the vaccine. Whereas at CVS etc etc, there is not that added charge to the person. Perhaps it's an issue that the US govm't and insurance comapanies don't want to have to deal with.

Many here have learned the hard way the difference of getting our vaccines with some insurance companies.

Last edited:
I'm just now watching yesterday's presser with Fauci.

I'm standing up applauding. He's speaking science, (on a level that requires education to understand iykwim) and will demand that the press keeps up with what he's meaning. And then his soundbites can be used to educate.

WOW!

Bravo!

I have a general question. I looked and could not find (bad sleuthing?) but is there ONE you tube site that exists for daily White House pressers? (vs signing up for notices for NBC news etc) as to follow Fauci/COVID etc.)

Also, I tried to share a YouTube with someone, and that person said that they were not a member of YouTube and they could not view as they were not signed up with YouTube. I didn't think that was correct. Can folks that are not "members" of YouTube view the above video of presser as I am confused on the feedback from my friend that said they cannot view what I sent. (iykwim)

Just one example here?

In the US, if you go to a doctor's office to get a vaccine, they will charge you a couple of "extra fees" for the injection, and an office visit on top of the charge for the vaccine. Whereas at CVS etc etc, there is not that added charge to the person. Perhaps it's an issue that the US govm't and insurance comapanies don't want to have to deal with.

Many here have learned the hard way the difference of getting our vaccines with some insurance companies.

I hadn't thought about the potential cost if the vaccine is administered in a physician office: that is a good point

I have a general question. I looked and could not find (bad sleuthing?) but is there ONE you tube site that exists for daily White House pressers? (vs signing up for notices for NBC news etc) as to follow Fauci/COVID etc.)

Also, I tried to share a YouTube with someone, and that person said that they were not a member of YouTube and they could not view as they were not signed up with YouTube. I didn't think that was correct. Can folks that are not "members" of YouTube view the above video of presser as I am confused on the feedback from my friend that said they cannot view what I sent. (iykwim)

I can always see the YouTube videos that are posted, and I am never logged into YouTube.

I can always see the YouTube videos that are posted, and I am never logged into YouTube.
They are also all recorded here:

Briefing Room | The White House

That said, do you know if the time is posted daily? I used to listen to the last one’s briefings long ago and the all seemed to be early afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie