Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what Biden's federal mask mandate means for you — BuzzFeed News

“Within a day of being sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, Joe Biden signed executive orders mandating mask-wearing on federal property, at airports, and on planes, buses, and trains as part of his plan to combat the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 400,000 people in the US.”

“Biden does not appear to have the legal authority to implement a nationwide mandate that would require all Americans to wear masks at all times, per CNN. It is up to state and local authorities to dictate mask requirements for residents.

However, as part of his "100 Days Masking Challenge," Biden has signed two executive orders mandating people wear a mask: one for lands and buildings controlled by the federal government, and another for public modes of transportation and ports of entry into the US.

Federal employees and contractors include members of the National Guard and armed forces, according to the order. Federal buildings include the US Capitol, federal courthouses, post offices, and federal agencies across the country. The mandate also applies to national parks and federal monuments.”

Last edited:
Here's what Biden's federal mask mandate means for you — BuzzFeed News

“Within a day of being sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, Joe Biden signed executive orders mandating mask-wearing on federal property, at airports, and on planes, buses, and trains as part of his plan to combat the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 400,000 people in the US.”

This is SO important, for more than 50,000 people.

"The experts say by wearing a mask from now until April, we’d save more than 50,000 lives going forward," Biden said. "Fifty thousand lives. So I’m asking every American to mask up for the next 100 days."

NC hospitals are canceling appointments as state routes vaccine doses to mass events — The Charlotte Observer

“Many North Carolina hospitals and local health departments will receive smaller or no new vaccine doses from the state this coming week, forcing hundreds of vaccination appointments to be canceled.

Instead, a “large portion” of the state’s 120,000 doses will go toward large-scale vaccination events, including events at Charlotte Motor Speedway and the Bank of America Stadium.

“We know this is causing pain among providers who did an incredible job working to vaccinate residents quickly,” said Chris Mackey, director of communications for NC DHHS. “As long as we are getting such a small amount of vaccine as a state, there are going to be challenges and shortages as we try to ensure equitable access to vaccine, while getting shots into arms quickly. We understand this is hard for providers who are doing everything right.”

Cone Health, a health and hospital system that serves many counties in the Triad, announced Friday that it had to cancel 10,400 vaccination appointments in the coming week.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Tabulator, et al My niece who is an RN on Vancouver Island BC Canada just posted that she received her first dose of Moderna vaccine this afternoon. So it appears there is some Moderna around for health care workers.
By the way, I did not take offence to you at all but wasn’t exactly pleased if your media was providing false information and stirring up controversy. It was interesting and actually good for us all to compare and realize we are all in a similar ‘wait it out’ position. BC Canada’s strategy as stated yesterday, roughly appears to be to focus now on those in seniors care, those working in health care and our indigenous population. Next will come 80 year olds plus, and those with cancers and other medical conditions, hitting the 70 year olds (us) hopefully at some point in April, then continuing to work backwards down through the age groups. They hope to have the last of the vaccines, for those who want them, completed in September. However, this timeline is totally subject to change depending on vaccine availability as we are already experiencing. Stay patient and stay safe everyone!

How Does Coronavirus Spread?

I have always been fascinated by how people catch Covid. Especially the ones who say that they always wear a mask, stay away from other people.

Today, at the store, I passed an aisle of Easter candy. Remember when Covid was supposed to be gone by Easter?! Yeah, that didn't happen.

Did the people who said that...we all know, "He Who Must Not Be Named" said it. Did he know it was a complete lie then?

Trump Sets Easter Goal For Reopening American Economy
There's a difference between someone wearing a cheap double knit mask with no nose wire and me wearing my 3 layer mask with a double filter inside and a nose wire that makes it fit like a glove.

So when people who "always wear their mask" get it, i wonder what kind of mask, if they wore it properly, and if they handled it properly. I also wonder if the mask was fine but then they scratched their nose or something when they took it off in the car.

Woooohoooooooo

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 22 January 2021

source

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Yesterday, the United States of America announced that it plans to retain its membership in WHO.

I want to thank my brother Dr Tony Fauci once again for addressing the Executive Board so early in his morning.

I was also honoured to speak with Vice-President Kamala Harris in the first hours of her first full work day. Thank you again, Madame Vice President.

The United States has long played a vital role in global health. The US was a founding member of WHO, and has been a leader in the fight against many diseases, from smallpox to polio, and malaria to HIV.

The US contributes an enormous amount to global health, but it also benefits from WHO’s work on a range of diseases, both infectious and non-communicable.

American public health professionals who work at WHO and in other global health agencies gain valuable experience and lessons to use at home.

And a healthier, safer world is a healthier, safer America.

So we welcome President Biden’s commitment not just to remaining part of the WHO family, but to working constructively with WHO, its Member States and the multilateral system to end the pandemic and address the many health challenges we face globally.

In that sense, we welcome the Biden administration’s commitment to protect women’s and girl’s sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights around the world.

It comes at a critical juncture - as the world prepares for the 25th anniversary of the landmark Beijing Declaration on women's rights – that helped shape gender equality and women’s movements globally.

We also welcome the United States’ commitment to rejoin the Paris Agreement on climate change, which will have major benefits for the health of our planet, and for human health.

We look forward to working with the United States and all Member States as we prepare for a successful COP-26 climate conference later this year.

And we welcome the United States’ commitment to support the Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator, and to join COVAX.

Vaccines are giving us all hope of ending the pandemic and getting the global economy on the road to recovery. But we can only end the pandemic anywhere if we end it everywhere.

And to do that, we need every Member State, every partner, and every vaccine producer on board.

That’s why today I’m glad to announce that COVAX has signed an agreement with Pfizer/BioNTech for up to 40 million doses of its vaccine.

Additionally, pending WHO emergency use listing, we expect almost 150 million doses of the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine to be available for distribution by COVAX in the first quarter of this year.

Together, these announcements mean COVAX could begin delivering doses in February, provided we can finalize a supply agreement for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, and emergency use listing for the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine.

COVAX is on track to deliver 2 billion doses by the end of this year.

This agreement also opens the door for countries who are willing to share doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to donate them to COVAX and support rapid rollout.

In my remarks to the WHO Executive Board on Monday, I called on the international community to work together as one global family to ensure the vaccination of health workers and older people is underway in all countries within the first 100 days of this year.

The commitment of the United States to join COVAX, together with this new agreement with Pfizer/BioNTech, mean that we are closer to fulfilling the promise of COVAX.

Today I’m pleased to be joined by Albert Bourla, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pfizer.

Albert and I have had several conversations as we have worked together to make this agreement happen.

Albert, thank you for your partnership. You have the floor.

[MR BOURLA ADDRESSED THE MEDIA AND INTRODUCED DR SETH BERKLEY, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF GAVI, WHO ALSO ADDRESSED THE MEDIA]

Thank you, Seth. As we have often said, it’s not vaccines on their own that will help to end the pandemic, it’s vaccination.

UNICEF is playing a vital role in preparing countries for the delivery and rollout of vaccines, and I’m pleased to welcome Henrietta Fore, the Executive Director of UNICEF.

Henrietta, thank you as always for your close partnership. You have the floor.

[ED FORE ADDRESSED THE MEDIA]

Thank you Henrietta, and thank you once again to Albert and Seth.

It’s important we all remember that vaccines will complement, but not replace, the proven public health measures that have been shown to suppress transmission and save lives.

We still have a lot of work to do, but the light at the end of the tunnel continues to grow brighter.

I thank you.

Last edited:
Biden said it is going to take a long time to get this under control. Think about it, it took a year of total neglect of managing this virus to get to where we are----over 400,000 dead and counting. I have to say I never thought we would get to this point. I must have been naive . The 1918 pandemic took 675,000 lives and I am thinking we could equal that or pass that horrific number of souls -- especially now with the variants that
have appeared recently.

Like you, I think there's a chance we could pass the 1918 toll. I certainly hope not, but our laws do not permit the sort of regulations that would really lock down this virus. Plus, we all all have to eat and that forces people out to work and shop for food.

Biden has implemented additional restrictions as they concern travel and federal property, but that leaves the vast majority of the nation unprotected and unregulated.

At this point, I think we all need to take responsibility for our own health in a serious manner--get vaccinated--and stop attending sports and other events.

I think that's the best we can do right now, although I wish Biden would come out with a strong PSA that would convince more Americans to limit their risks and exposure. People are beginning to tune the whole thing out, according to a discussion I had with my niece last week. They're not even paying attention anymore.

It will be years after this is over before laws are enacted that allow a better (and quicker) national response--if it ever happens, because we're simply not set up that way.

If it's any consolation (it's not) we're far from alone in our predicament.

Woooohoooooooo

WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 22 January 2021

source

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Yesterday, the United States of America announced that it plans to retain its membership in WHO.

---respectfully snipped for focus---

Returning to the WHO is good news, indeed! We all need to work together.

I just wish I had more confidence in Fauci, because I don't have a lick of confidence in that man. To be fair, neither did the scientist who developed the PCR test.

Still, if the nations of the world can come to an agreement -- it's a step in the right direction.

Like you, I think there's a chance we could pass the 1918 toll. I certainly hope not, but our laws do not permit the sort of regulations that would really lock down this virus. Plus, we all all have to eat and that forces people out to work and shop for food.

Biden has implemented additional restrictions as they concern travel and federal property, but that leaves the vast majority of the nation unprotected and unregulated.

At this point, I think we all need to take responsibility for our own health in a serious manner--get vaccinated--and stop attending sports and other events.

I think that's the best we can do right now, although I wish Biden would come out with a strong PSA that would convince more Americans to limit their risks and exposure. People are beginning to tune the whole thing out, according to a discussion I had with my niece last week. They're not even paying attention anymore.

It will be years after this is over before laws are enacted that allow a better (and quicker) national response--if it ever happens, because we're simply not set up that way.

If it's any consolation (it's not) we're far from alone in our predicament.

Too many people are carrying on with their lives like there is no pandemic especially in states like Florida- totally open thanks to Gov De Santis---Vaccines are our only hope now-- Failed leadership got us to this point ---it is beyond sad. it is horrifying.

No worries. You gave us the opportunity to explain what is happening in our countries. We are not hoarding. We have ordered (and paid for) a variety of vaccines, in case some never come to fruition, because they were unsuccessful. It was a smart thing to do.

If there is any surplus, it will be going straight into Covax - for underpriviliged countries - as agreed.
Plus Australia will be manufacturing low-cost vaccines for other countries, when AstraZeneca is approved.

The America First (and only) policy has not left a good taste in our mouths. Hopefully that will be changing with the US now rejoining WHO. :)

At least, we should be getting "truth" going forward. I feel we will continue to hear equity issues regarding underprivilieged countries. Hopefull WHO and COVAX will be a better part of the overall communications plan.

Returning to the WHO is good news, indeed! We all need to work together.

I just wish I had more confidence in Fauci, because I don't have a lick of confidence in that man. To be fair, neither did the scientist who developed the PCR test.

Still, if the nations of the world can come to an agreement -- it's a step in the right direction.

Why don't you have confidence in Fauci, I am curious

Why don't you have confidence in Fauci, I am curious

I'll address the part of the "PCR guy/Kary Mullis vs. Fauci". He did an interview and was outspoken about Fauci many many years ago (Decades!) re PCR and HIV detection (does HIV+ mean you have AIDS if found on PRC.... lots behind such). He was speaking back then e.g. if you have one single molecule of the virus (he was speaking mostly re HIV detection = AIDS), PCR could multiply it and multiply it so many times... that the person would be designated as having AIDS.

Too long to go into now as this is now being rehashed by some groups on the "interwebs". Matter of fact, it is lower level discussion than we here on threads are having as old old debate (which is the point he was trying to make) As we all here on this thread KNOW (I assume) is that PCR indeed can pick up remnants of the viral particles that are NOT infectious.

I recommend sticking with Dr. Campbell and Dr. Seheult to best understand this 24x concentration vs. 35x concentration as it relates to "asymptomatics" or "false positives" (or detection in sewage plants) etc vs. rabbit hole of googling Kary Mullis vs. Fauci from the late 80's and 90's.

The guy, Kary Mullis died in August 2019, before COVID.

Here's one Reuters article if anyone want just one rabbit hole.

Fact check: Inventor of method used to test for COVID-19 didn’t say it can't be used in virus detection...

ETA: Also, while looking around for information on this, I went down a hole and there are *interwebs* sites dedicated to bashing Fauci.. e.g. "How is he believable as he said the peak would be in December, then it moved to January, and now moved again". (From people who don't understand modelings, and think that they are actual projections MOO)

Last edited:
How Does Coronavirus Spread?

I have always been fascinated by how people catch Covid. Especially the ones who say that they always wear a mask, stay away from other people.

Today, at the store, I passed an aisle of Easter candy. Remember when Covid was supposed to be gone by Easter?! Yeah, that didn't happen.

Did the people who said that...we all know, "He Who Must Not Be Named" said it. Did he know it was a complete lie then?

Trump Sets Easter Goal For Reopening American Economy

Glad you brought that issue up- I too have always been fascinated by how people catch Covid, especially the ones that say they "did everything right"-- It is scary to think you could wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, stay away from people (gatherings and such) and still get the virus. A man on my husband's golf league just passed away from Covid- he became ill around Xmas and was hospitalized, discharged, readmitted and died. I wonder, did he do everything right or did he (as I surmise since he got Covid around the holidays), that he let his guard down and socialized outside of his bubble around the holidays.

I think some of the people who contracted Covid who said they did everything right, let their guard down somewhere a long the way. I guess we will never know for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow